Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 711837 times)

Sedition

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #6120 on: April 21, 2024, 06:58:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I want to try the 93a, but I skate exclusively on smooth tennis courts, so don’t think they’ll benefit me 🥲
[close]

They won't in that situation, better stick with harder wheels.
[close]
Yeah, going to stick with my 99s. Honestly my current setup is perfect. I’ve been using it for six months and never have to think about it. I just need to stay offline. Seeing new gear makes me want to try it. Cause skateboarding is so cheap compared to other hobbies/lifestyles. But I need to think of the mental cost. Can’t afford another bout of madness.
[close]

How can you have madness when you post that you rarely pop your board?
[close]

You don’t need to pop your board to be good at skateboarding and tinker with your setup. There are people who primarily just do slappies and fuckin rip.

^ Facts. Hard stop.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

rikki

• Rep: 288
« Reply #6121 on: April 21, 2024, 10:04:38 PM »
Speaking of the 93 slide, how does it compare to that of the X99, anyone?

Bongwater Mojito

• Rep: 62
« Reply #6122 on: April 22, 2024, 03:00:43 AM »

After two sessions on 93 52mm Classics, the slide is better than previously tried Nomads, X97 and F4 97, in my opinion.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 963
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #6123 on: April 22, 2024, 03:55:10 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

After two sessions on 93 52mm Classics, the slide is better than previously tried Nomads, X97 and F4 97, in my opinion.

What I wanna know is how the Sapphires and these sound they way they do?

Or perhaps every YouTubers gotta bank of official spit sound effects and doing drum replacement therapy on us.

I fuckin checked video against video on the same channel too. The sound between dragons and spits appears to be almost night and day.

Is this facts or miss observation?

I even heard the Aaron Kyro say that about the sapphires on his skitching slider wheel test.

Those are the only braile videos that matter. I need to see the inside of wheels
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

CarcassToss

• Rep: 26
« Reply #6124 on: April 22, 2024, 07:12:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I want to try the 93a, but I skate exclusively on smooth tennis courts, so don’t think they’ll benefit me 🥲
[close]

[close]
Yeah, going to stick with my 99s. Honestly my current setup is perfect. I’ve been using it for six months and never have to think about it. I just need to stay offline. Seeing new gear makes me want to try it. Cause skateboarding is so cheap compared to other hobbies/lifestyles. But I need to think of the mental cost. Can’t afford another bout of madness.
[close]

[close]

You don’t need to pop your board to be good at skateboarding and tinker with your setup. There are people who primarily just do slappies and fuckin rip.
[close]

^ Facts. Hard stop.

True, but dude just posted he mostly rolls and does no complies. Those aren't slappies. I could understand madness for slappies. I use my larger transition setup for curb days and dudes have pretty unique setups and I get why. It sounded like the poster is mostly into cruising and the variables there aren't inherently complex and you could just setup a few different cruisers like a polarizer, old school setup, etc and things like pop timing, grind, balance point won't matter.

OhioGuy

• Rep: 57
« Reply #6125 on: April 22, 2024, 07:19:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Exactly. I don’t have a huge bag of tricks (basically only do a few no comply variations), but my setup still matters.

For example, I’m 240lbs and wear a size 14. I started out on an 8.5 deck with a 14 inch wheelbase that tapered to 8.25 at the tail (Kenny Anderson Skidul shape), and I had Indy’s with stock bushings. Needless to say, that didn’t work for someone my size 😅

So even when cruising, setup actually matters, and any skater should know that. But this is the internet, so you know folks gotta be silly and take shots at others for no reason.

OhioGuy

« Reply #6126 on: April 22, 2024, 07:20:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

^ Facts. Hard stop.
[close]

True, but dude just posted he mostly rolls and does no complies. Those aren't slappies. I could understand madness for slappies. I use my larger transition setup for curb days and dudes have pretty unique setups and I get why. It sounded like the poster is mostly into cruising and the variables there aren't inherently complex and you could just setup a few different cruisers like a polarizer, old school setup, etc and things like pop timing, grind, balance point won't matter.
See the post above this.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6127 on: April 22, 2024, 07:36:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

What I wanna know is how the Sapphires and these sound they way they do?

Or perhaps every YouTubers gotta bank of official spit sound effects and doing drum replacement therapy on us.

I fuckin checked video against video on the same channel too. The sound between dragons and spits appears to be almost night and day.

Is this facts or miss observation?

I even heard the Aaron Kyro say that about the sapphires on his skitching slider wheel test.

Those are the only braile videos that matter. I need to see the inside of wheels

sapphires are probably like filmer wheels

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #6128 on: April 22, 2024, 02:13:23 PM »
I was going through a box of used gear and look at these beauties. 52 99a Radial Slims
Still a hair over 51 mm. I wonder how much I could get for these? Do people lust over them that much?
They're not for sale.
I've been on nothing but F4's for maybe 8 years now. The first set was 101a. Nothing but 99a since. I had 3 or 4 sets of Slims in a row and loved them. But I had a battle with this trick where I was landing alongside a parallel crack and kept getting stuck in it. My friend rides an identical setup to me. Except he had classics on. I did a little test and I was able to roll over these cracks where the slims would catch.
But they have their selling points. Flip tricks feel great. And they just look good.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1005
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #6129 on: April 22, 2024, 03:53:09 PM »
I wonder how much I could get for these? Do people lust over them that much?
They're not for sale.

If they are not for sale, why worry about it?

Given how beat and small they are, probably nothing.

CarcassToss

« Reply #6130 on: April 22, 2024, 04:58:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
Exactly. I don’t have a huge bag of tricks (basically only do a few no comply variations), but my setup still matters.

For example, I’m 240lbs and wear a size 14. I started out on an 8.5 deck with a 14 inch wheelbase that tapered to 8.25 at the tail (Kenny Anderson Skidul shape), and I had Indy’s with stock bushings. Needless to say, that didn’t work for someone my size 😅

So even when cruising, setup actually matters, and any skater should know that. But this is the internet, so you know folks gotta be silly and take shots at others for no reason.

Sure- that's like someone your size buying a bike. But at the end of the day as long as the obvious basics are covered like it fits and safely allows them to do the activity then the specifics are a matter of taste not necessity.

Dad Board

• Rep: 87
« Reply #6131 on: April 22, 2024, 05:30:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Sure- that's like someone your size buying a bike. But at the end of the day as long as the obvious basics are covered like it fits and safely allows them to do the activity then the specifics are a matter of taste not necessity.

I don’t understand why you can’t comprehend the fact that gear matters to people regardless of the complexity of their trick selection. Trucks turn differently, wheel size/shape/duro effect how it rides, board dimensions change how it feels etc. You sound like an elitist arguing that he should just ride anything that “fits” and not focus on the nuances of his setup because he doesn’t do certain tricks. Fools were tinkering with their shit before kickflips were commonplace.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1078
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #6132 on: April 23, 2024, 07:08:01 AM »
As a pal who is looking at an aarp membership looming in the distance and I constantly struggle to keep the tricks I have all while maintaining my stoke level.
New gear, product developments, video parts and in person encounters all inspire me to purchase product.
In hopes it works as well as I think it should.
Coming to grips with dwindling skills and body limitations no matter how much rehab and strengthening I do is tough.  I tinker, experiment and in general make strange choices because my brain somehow thinks it will be the thing that takes me back to 2008.

But in general I love new gear as much as the act of skating itself. I suppose it makes up for my lack of skill, but coupled with my drive to skate almost every day keeps the fire burning.

OhioGuy

« Reply #6133 on: April 23, 2024, 07:57:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I don’t understand why you can’t comprehend the fact that gear matters to people regardless of the complexity of their trick selection. Trucks turn differently, wheel size/shape/duro effect how it rides, board dimensions change how it feels etc. You sound like an elitist arguing that he should just ride anything that “fits” and not focus on the nuances of his setup because he doesn’t do certain tricks. Fools were tinkering with their shit before kickflips were commonplace.
Exactly. And he must not do a lot of no complys cause gear can affect them too. Doing a shuv with classics vs. lock-in fulls requires a different scoop. For me, smaller riding surface equals an easier scoop. And Spitfires react differently than OJs, even at 99a. So it’s easy to understand why someone would start to experiment with their setup, regardless of what they’re doing.

Yeah you can technically make anything work, but it’s all about finding the right gear for your needs/style.

Madness can wrap anyone in its cold embrace 😈

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
  • sup dog
« Reply #6134 on: April 23, 2024, 08:07:43 AM »
Not sure if these have been posted but there’s a first impression vid, and then comparing them to x97.

Another brand new account coming in on some absolute fuck shit

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6135 on: April 23, 2024, 09:10:57 AM »
I was going through a box of used gear and look at these beauties. 52 99a Radial Slims
Still a hair over 51 mm. I wonder how much I could get for these? Do people lust over them that much?
They're not for sale.
I've been on nothing but F4's for maybe 8 years now. The first set was 101a. Nothing but 99a since. I had 3 or 4 sets of Slims in a row and loved them. But I had a battle with this trick where I was landing alongside a parallel crack and kept getting stuck in it. My friend rides an identical setup to me. Except he had classics on. I did a little test and I was able to roll over these cracks where the slims would catch.
But they have their selling points. Flip tricks feel great. And they just look good.

Yah that snake graphic was off the chain.  Like one id spray some clear over to try an preserve
(A)pl(E)

CarcassToss

« Reply #6136 on: April 23, 2024, 10:26:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Exactly. And he must not do a lot of no complys cause gear can affect them too. Doing a shuv with classics vs. lock-in fulls requires a different scoop. For me, smaller riding surface equals an easier scoop. And Spitfires react differently than OJs, even at 99a. So it’s easy to understand why someone would start to experiment with their setup, regardless of what they’re doing.

Yeah you can technically make anything work, but it’s all about finding the right gear for your needs/style.

Dawg I've been doing no complies since 1996 on all sorts of setups and trucks and once you learn the motion it doesn't. fucking. matter. Dudes were doing them on decks with no noses. Its a pretty easy motion to learn and if you're doing them backside then overall board length can influence things a bit, but its rarely a super technical flip like a nollie fs flip or Kickflip back smith is for example.

What you're getting at are small differences in preference for the basic. That is far different than people micro optimizing pop timing.

Anyways, no pointing beating this tangent into the ground further.

Back to the wheels I think I'm going to fully reserve these for rough cement and asphalt. They're nicer for me in a straight line at the park than the Bones variants and for rounder coping at one of our parks, but I think the 99 are still the best overall wheel for smoother terrain. Spitfire was smart to probably wait a bit and see what the main pieces of feedback were about Dragons/Bones and use their massive team, including gear nuts such as Reynolds, to optimize their iteration.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #6137 on: April 23, 2024, 10:58:17 AM »
so i have had the easy slider 56mm 93a Radial for a couple weeks - skated em 4-5 times at least
really happy with the slide and cruise and speed still. flip trick game seems intact even on big board, trucks + wheels (8.75 egg, 149 indy)
just did a side by side with the 99a 52mm classic full
it definitely felt less icy on the 93a but i could still do all my tricks on the curb
feels like i never push at all on the 93a. it got scary fast very quickly. but the wheel is also a lot larger in this case, a 52 vs a 56mm.

I am probably madnessing towards a 54mm radial 99a for my next setup. or the reforumlated 97a, cause i have awhile on these 2 new wheels now to last me :) I think I am kinda over the smaller and classic wheels. I feel like they are not really providing me much value vs. what the bigger square ones are for the type of skating I do. I am starting to get a little better at the noseslide > crook combos but i feel like i dont need the classic wheel for it, i will do fine using a square one and i will stay locked in the grind a lot better too. i think same thing for feebles, dont need to the classic to help get into the grind anymore, will end up staying locked in the grind better with other wheels im thinking.

Bongwater Mojito

• Rep: 62
« Reply #6138 on: April 23, 2024, 11:02:40 AM »
They're not for sale.

Had one set, really enjoyed them, flatspotted unfortunately.

Also, finally some use for all my extra shoelaces, wheels have been all over my part box bottom until now.

Edit: I'm not sure how much I'd be ready to pay for 93a 52mm Radial Slims...

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6139 on: April 23, 2024, 03:51:07 PM »
so i have had the easy slider 56mm 93a Radial for a couple weeks - skated em 4-5 times at least
really happy with the slide and cruise and speed still. flip trick game seems intact even on big board, trucks + wheels (8.75 egg, 149 indy)
it definitely felt less icy on the 93a but i could still do all my tricks on the curb
feels like i never push at all on the 93a. it got scary fast very quickly. but the wheel is also a lot larger in this case, a 52 vs a 56mm.

I am probably madnessing towards a 54mm radial 99a for my next setup. or the reforumlated 97a, cause i have awhile on these 2 new wheels now to last me :) I think I am kinda over the smaller and classic wheels. I feel like they are not really providing me much value vs. what the bigger square ones are for the type of skating I do. I am starting to get a little better at the noseslide > crook combos but i feel like i dont need the classic wheel for it, i will do fine using a square one and i will stay locked in the grind a lot better too. i think same thing for feebles, dont need to the classic to help get into the grind anymore, will end up staying locked in the grind better with other wheels im thinking.

Just on the note of a medium sized Radial, I was skating a board yesterday with near new 55 mm 99 duro Radial wheels and it sure did lock in on things a whole lot more than I thought it would, given I most often am on Classics, Classic Full or variations of other wheels like Conical Full that I have rounded the edges off.

Maybe the extra size, more so than smaller wheels, or maybe just that I was being lazy, but a couple of times the wheels caught and I had to stop myself being thrown on things I would often get away with on other smaller rounder wheels, like five oh grind to fakie sliding the wheels in.

Radial really are such a good size and shape overall though, or at least that is what I feel about them right now.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6140 on: April 23, 2024, 04:12:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Dawg I've been doing no complies since 1996 on all sorts of setups and trucks and once you learn the motion it doesn't. fucking. matter. Dudes were doing them on decks with no noses. Its a pretty easy motion to learn and if you're doing them backside then overall board length can influence things a bit, but its rarely a super technical flip like a nollie fs flip or Kickflip back smith is for example.

What you're getting at are small differences in preference for the basic. That is far different than people micro optimizing pop timing.

Anyways, no pointing beating this tangent into the ground further.

Back to the wheels I think I'm going to fully reserve these for rough cement and asphalt. They're nicer for me in a straight line at the park than the Bones variants and for rounder coping at one of our parks, but I think the 99 are still the best overall wheel for smoother terrain. Spitfire was smart to probably wait a bit and see what the main pieces of feedback were about Dragons/Bones and use their massive team, including gear nuts such as Reynolds, to optimize their iteration.

I...just...can't.....gear discussions have devolved into how it effects a no-comply or a shuv...a shuvit (not a pop-shuv mind you, a fucking basic ass shuvit) if you really think wheels are impacting your shuvs you need to get off these forums and skate more.

Meathook

• Rep: 74
« Reply #6141 on: April 23, 2024, 05:50:50 PM »
I tried to go back to 99a after being on the 93a radials for a couple of weeks and I’m immediately going back to the 93’s.  The 99a felt like rocks.  I can live with the loss of speed at the skatepark (which isn’t even that noticeable).  The 93a are better in every regard for me.

CarcassToss

« Reply #6142 on: April 23, 2024, 08:59:29 PM »
Went to the shop to get 54 Radials in 99 and they only had 93 so.... got those ones.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6143 on: April 23, 2024, 10:02:16 PM »
I tried to go back to 99a after being on the 93a radials for a couple of weeks and I’m immediately going back to the 93’s.  The 99a felt like rocks.  I can live with the loss of speed at the skatepark (which isn’t even that noticeable).  The 93a are better in every regard for me.

Same thing happened after being on dragons/x97s spits 99a might well have been 101a.

I’m really holding out for the spit 97s as the 93s are already neck and neck with the x99s. Spit 97s will the ‘soft 101’ feel we’re looking for.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1939
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #6144 on: April 27, 2024, 12:49:49 AM »
Just setup some 93a 54mm Classics and 1st impressions are really good. They don't feel like a soft wheel at all and slide were not compromised at all, while still going over rougher patches without problem. Keen to see how they do at the other rougher park I frequent tomorrow.

Edit - the wheels broke in during the 2nd session and damn they are fast for rough spots, was charging at my usual ledge with way more speed that usual. And slides are still top notch.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2024, 09:33:37 PM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6145 on: April 27, 2024, 07:42:24 PM »

Is that what you've been riding lately on ig? Looks like it.
(A)pl(E)

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #6146 on: April 29, 2024, 07:51:42 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Is that what you've been riding lately on ig? Looks like it.

riding 2 setups lol between the 99a and the 93a

the line i am riding the 93a 56mm radial and the single tricks is all on my 52mm classic full 99a

i am not sure if i can fully give up the 99a yet. but i am thinking i will go up to 54mm radial. the sound is so awesome on the harder wheel but i dont feel like its really providing me any advantage... It definitely is more icy but i dont think its a huge difference. i did those same tricks on the radial setup as well and it felt like i wasnt grinding as long, but i definitely could still do them all.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #6147 on: April 29, 2024, 08:29:29 AM »
I got the F4 93a 54mm Classic Shape. Coming from a 99 its a noticeable difference when im skating - but feels the same while cruising.

I feel less impact when landing tricks. The slide on the first day was too slippery but after the second day they felt really good. I did get a small chip but its not noticeable.
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Dad Board

• Rep: 87
« Reply #6148 on: April 29, 2024, 12:33:29 PM »
Some thoughts after one month on the 93’s: I think I’m starting to prefer the radials to the classic shape. They seem to keep speed better in most conditions and on a purely aesthetic note I just like the way they look a little better. Still haven’t decided if they’re gonna be my full time wheel but I’m noticeably less sore, especially in my feet after a session when I’m skating the 93’s and haven’t really had the urge to change back aside from a few sessions at a local skatepark early on in my time with them. I really wish they made the radial in a 52mm since the reason I was riding 54mm in 99a was to have more speed and not get tripped up on cracks/pebbles as much on the street spots I usually skate. With these I’d feel more comfortable on a smaller wheel knowing they have the ability to cruise over crust and cracks and I’d suffer less wheelbite on flip tricks with my thunder hollow lights.

Overall I’m really happy with them and aside from a flatspot on the classics (which worked itself out in one session) that I got from sliding out on a varial heel attempt I’ve had no issues with their performance. They do feel a slight bit sticky compared to a 99 when doing sharp turns I noticed, but it’s minimal and something I’m willing to adapt to unless it becomes more prevalent as the wheel ages.

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
« Reply #6149 on: April 29, 2024, 02:53:02 PM »
Just set up a set of 93a 58 mm coming from 58 mm 99a F4 OG Classics. Only skated them on flat where I normally skate flat  and the ground is pretty sucky and full of rocks and sticks I have to kick out of the way. World of difference. I really like them. I had already skated so I was a bit sore but I got bearings and wanted to set them up so I set up a new deck too. Just for a quick session in my neighbors parking lot while my daughter took a nap. Did all the shoves (reg, fs switch, etc. - you know all 8 ) and a couple kickys then she woke up so I went to chill with her and my wife again, but the wheels feel great on some crummy NJ asphalt. I will probably make them my go to wheel.