Author Topic: Gear madness support thread  (Read 88564 times)

Ride it to dust

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 54
Re: Gear madness support thread
« Reply #600 on: November 07, 2022, 12:32:06 PM »
I was toying with the idea of 149’s for a long while but at this stage i think it could be another variable of confusion/madness haha
The shape of the deck looks great though, stoked to try it. I always put 2 speedrings on the inside and 1 out as i hate seeing exposed thread on the axle (and also no messing around with the nut if i change wheels/bearings), so that gives me a bit of extra space as you know

IpathCats

« Reply #601 on: November 07, 2022, 12:47:57 PM »
I was toying with the idea of 149’s for a long while but at this stage i think it could be another variable of confusion/madness haha
The shape of the deck looks great though, stoked to try it. I always put 2 speedrings on the inside and 1 out as i hate seeing exposed thread on the axle (and also no messing around with the nut if i change wheels/bearings), so that gives me a bit of extra space as you know

Yea, It's definitely doable. I was scared of hotrodding so i ran 8.25 trucks on 8.3ish boards for a while. They def flip easier than 149s. but as soon as you're doing anything with decent speed, or skating transition, the 149s are a clear winner for me. And honestly i cant see 149s poking out at all.

Your call though. going to a longer wb and a wider truck will deff make you feel a lot more stable and make your flip tricks take more effort (still totally manageable)

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 470
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #602 on: November 07, 2022, 12:57:26 PM »

I’m happy with my 148 on 8.4/14.25 I went from an 8.25 on my previous deck and it stayed nimble and I appreciate the additional room for all my sloppy makes.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #603 on: November 07, 2022, 01:48:53 PM »
I just switched to 149 and it's nice for certain grinds, but honestly I feel I am wheel biting more on flip tricks and am not sold one way or another on what truck is optimal.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
« Reply #604 on: November 07, 2022, 04:06:07 PM »
Fellow citizens of Slap, I did some of my better skating of the past few years on an 8.38” a while ago and of course immediately proceeded to not purchase another 8.38” for like a year and a half.  Currently back on an 8.38” and I think it might be one of the most practical all-around board sizes for most things.  8.25” and below feels a little small for crusty spots and slappy stuff and going up to 8.75” and above feels great but makes me less inclined to flip my board.  Moral of the story, buy things that make sense every once in a while - who would’ve thought…

LebowskisRug

« Reply #605 on: November 07, 2022, 07:41:44 PM »
I mean there are 8.38's with 14" WB and 14.75 it's a pretty all encompassing size.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 164
« Reply #606 on: November 09, 2022, 09:22:42 AM »
My local shop recently got some OJ thunder juice wheels in. Please convince me that they’re stupid and I don’t (or do) need them even though I already have a cruiser board

IpathCats

« Reply #607 on: November 09, 2022, 09:46:35 AM »
My local shop recently got some OJ thunder juice wheels in. Please convince me that they’re stupid and I don’t (or do) need them even though I already have a cruiser board

They're kinda something you need to center a whole setup around. So i wouldnt suggest it unless you have enough parts already to make a setup for them. they're so big too that i'm sure they would really fuck with your pop, so unless you dont ollie on your cruiser, i'd just pass.

bombsaway86

« Reply #608 on: November 09, 2022, 05:24:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They're kinda something you need to center a whole setup around. So i wouldnt suggest it unless you have enough parts already to make a setup for them. they're so big too that i'm sure they would really fuck with your pop, so unless you dont ollie on your cruiser, i'd just pass.

I don’t ollie on my cruiser and I have all the parts to put together another setup. I guess I’m going to relapse

The.Skate.Father

• Rep: 42
« Reply #609 on: November 09, 2022, 07:48:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I don’t ollie on my cruiser and I have all the parts to put together another setup. I guess I’m going to relapse

Don't do it, I'm dead against juice wheels now....
Off that shit, if u got a cruiser you got a cruiser.
Just call me Daddy.

IpathCats

« Reply #610 on: November 10, 2022, 05:00:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

welp that backfired lol

what did oj's do to hurt you? I'm a f4 guy on my regular board but superjuice are my go to for cruisers.

The.Skate.Father

« Reply #611 on: November 10, 2022, 06:24:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

welp that backfired lol

Expand Quote

[close]

what did oj's do to hurt you? I'm a f4 guy on my regular board but superjuice are my go to for cruisers.

Nah it's all good, I have superjuice on my cruiser too, but they chunked out super quick. They roll smooth though was a bit disappointing is all.
Just call me Daddy.

IpathCats

« Reply #612 on: November 10, 2022, 06:26:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

welp that backfired lol

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Nah it's all good, I have superjuice on my cruiser too, but they chunked out super quick. They roll smooth though was a bit disappointing is all.

superjuice did? i know the OJ 3's would do that a lot, but i havent experienced that with the super juice

The.Skate.Father

« Reply #613 on: November 10, 2022, 07:28:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

welp that backfired lol

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

superjuice did? i know the OJ 3's would do that a lot, but i havent experienced that with the super juice

Yeh after my second time out on them the spat the side out
All good I cut them down to 55mm at work...

Just call me Daddy.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 859
« Reply #614 on: November 10, 2022, 10:08:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Yeah I’m kinda spiraling with my purchases. My issue is I have a fear of missing out on good deals, but I know it’s pointless cause shit is ALWAYS on sale. Also I don’t live in a city with a good skate shop. So I fear that I’ll break something then have to wait for replacements.

And shoes—why are size 13 always sold out?
[close]

They make fewer of them.
Yes they make fewer of them but very often I'll check something the minute it comes out or gets restocked and 13s are the only size unavailable often they'll even have 14,15,16 and tiny sizes. My fun conspiracy is they're scared of the number 13. For a while size 4 was also always unavailable which is the unlucky number for some cultures too.
Usually a 13 is 31cms but some brands make 13s as 32.5/33cms makes me wonder if they're actually size 14s and they just don't make size 13 but relabel them here. (Once again just fun conspiracy not really that serious)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 955
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #615 on: November 12, 2022, 07:18:33 PM »
I need a pair or 3 of the Kader shoe. I can't help it. They pretty close to my two favorite colors. They match my face tattoo.

I've worn more shell toes as skate shoes than anything else in my life time. I've never had a pair of the fancy skate versions.

I need I need.

They match probably hundreds of my graffiti pieces too. I love purple
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

IpathCats

« Reply #616 on: November 12, 2022, 07:57:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

welp that backfired lol

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Damn! Were you sliding them hard or something?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1961
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #617 on: November 12, 2022, 10:57:36 PM »
I'm over truck madness, went with a 8.25 x 31.75 x 14.25, PS Stix and told myself I needed to go with Thunder / Ace to compensate for the shorter tail and length. 1 session with Thunder and 1/2 session with Ace and I was over it, way too twitchy and I needed to adjust my foot placement drastically. Back on Ventures and things felt right, slight adjustment to the tail and I was feeling proper again.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

bombsaway86

« Reply #618 on: November 13, 2022, 01:12:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

This is the support I was looking for 🙏

eviltgirl

• Rep: 31
« Reply #619 on: November 13, 2022, 08:10:25 AM »
Wondering if I should size down my trucks, it recently snowed here so I'm starting to dabble in the madness a bit.  I've been skating indy 159s on 8.5s exclusively for the last year, and I'm wondering if its worth it to give 149s a go.  159s have been chill and haven't given me any issues, especially since I'm pretty new but I think I'm ready to experiment.  If I try 149s what will I notice? I'm expecting they'll turn a bit quicker but I'm not sure what else.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #620 on: November 13, 2022, 08:25:22 AM »
Wondering if I should size down my trucks, it recently snowed here so I'm starting to dabble in the madness a bit.  I've been skating indy 159s on 8.5s exclusively for the last year, and I'm wondering if its worth it to give 149s a go.  159s have been chill and haven't given me any issues, especially since I'm pretty new but I think I'm ready to experiment.  If I try 149s what will I notice? I'm expecting they'll turn a bit quicker but I'm not sure what else.

In transition you will find yourself with a bit more control on your grinds.  Your lock-in will be closer to the middle of the board giving you more leverage over it.  On street, the board will initiate a flip easier because the tipping point of the wheel is now closer in, and it will flip faster because the mass of the wheels is closer to the center of the board. 

For many years I skated trucks the same width as the board or one size larger.   Now I'm going the other way - same size or one size smaller.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 586
« Reply #621 on: November 13, 2022, 12:13:51 PM »
Forgive me friends for I have given into the sales and deals.
Got the FA sale. An Enjoi board from their sale, and my go to shop had the Vans x Krooked Ray Barbee board on 20% off as they’re moving.

May throw my 159 mids on the Barbee. Not sure what wheels I should run on the board.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #622 on: November 13, 2022, 12:21:17 PM »
Today I hated my deck and wheels. Will switch the wheels out before the deck. I am used to soggy, old decks. But I am not used to kinda massive (for me) 53mm Lock Ins.

Thanks for listening pals.
IG: @flowterspace

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
« Reply #623 on: November 13, 2022, 02:20:41 PM »
It would be a dumb idea to get Krux as a joke, right guys?

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #624 on: November 13, 2022, 02:26:23 PM »

Yes. Whatever you do, don’t get Krux. They’re terrible and not in a fun way.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 586
« Reply #625 on: November 13, 2022, 03:22:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes. Whatever you do, don’t get Krux. They’re terrible and not in a fun way.

I waxed the pivot cups of my set of K5s, the newer models, and it made a difference. But they do suck.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1077
« Reply #626 on: November 13, 2022, 05:00:55 PM »

Donate that money to the homeless.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

The.Skate.Father

« Reply #627 on: November 13, 2022, 07:11:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

welp that backfired lol

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Damn! Were you sliding them hard or something?

Nothing to serious, roads are a bit bumpy but nothing I can't handle on spf bones or f4 spits....
Just call me Daddy.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #628 on: November 13, 2022, 07:14:54 PM »
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1961
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #629 on: November 13, 2022, 07:44:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Riding Krux is the equivalent of the clown meme
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m