Author Topic: Update on Cory Kennedy case?  (Read 180459 times)

Toadfish Rebecchi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
Re: Update on Cory Kennedy case?
« Reply #540 on: April 22, 2021, 12:17:22 AM »
How is he so good after not skating for three years? Makes no sense. Were they letting him skate inside?
[http://distilleryimage1.s3.amazonaws.com/ea8128aa83b711e383dc1219137b9e09_8.jpg]

Jewel Runner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 101
« Reply #541 on: April 22, 2021, 04:23:51 AM »
How is he so good after not skating for three years? Makes no sense. Were they letting him skate inside?

When you are that good you can spend 4 years without touching a board. Plus, imagine the hype that he's feeling for doing what he loves once again

alex

• Rep: 34
« Reply #542 on: April 22, 2021, 05:22:52 AM »
Expand Quote
It'd be super tight if he moved on from Crail immediately
[close]

"So Mike, Rickk, I've been checking slap forums on the phone I smuggled into prison with me, and..... I'm not liking what I'm seeing."

If I just got out of jail I’d probably be hesitant about being on a team and surrounded by guys who have a rep of abusing women, beating the homeless, blackface, homophobia... what am I missing here guys? But I guess the reality is they could’ve dropped him when this all happened and didn’t
Suns out, im going skating. chow

homegrown83

• Rep: -83
« Reply #543 on: April 22, 2021, 05:38:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

"So Mike, Rickk, I've been checking slap forums on the phone I smuggled into prison with me, and..... I'm not liking what I'm seeing."
[close]

If I just got out of jail I’d probably be hesitant about being on a team and surrounded by guys who have a rep of abusing women, beating the homeless, blackface, homophobia... what am I missing here guys? But I guess the reality is they could’ve dropped him when this all happened and didn’t

All of the skeletons

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #544 on: April 22, 2021, 06:44:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

All of the skeletons
i mostly know probation rules, so i could be wrong, but aren’t there often clauses about associating with people known to participate in reckless, dangerous, or criminal behavior?

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #545 on: April 22, 2021, 09:01:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

If I just got out of jail I’d think those actions might be a walk in the park compared to what the people he might have been locked up with were in for

hairdo

• Rep: -15
« Reply #546 on: April 22, 2021, 09:33:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

those are the only kind of people who will hang out with ex cons

ballintoohard

« Reply #547 on: April 22, 2021, 10:16:31 AM »
Crail doesn't drop riders it's a whole "family" thing

whineybitch

« Reply #548 on: April 22, 2021, 11:22:06 AM »
You guys are nuts... Brandon didn't beat anyone, he filmed it. Sam did blackface before the current cultural movement which has shown how distasteful it is, but that doesn't make him the devil; assuming you are referring to Stevie with the homophobia comment, but that was during an argument with a shithead that probably got him heated and saying dumb things, not like he was actually doing anything terrible to someone with a different sexual preference than him, and lastly.. abusing women?.. Kenny argued with his lady, I never read or heard that he actually hurt her physically.. and in fact I believe the true story is that they were both volatile with each other and the fighting (verbal) went both ways. What are we missing here guys.. you want skaters to be nuns and priests? the level at which you all seem to hold these people is bonkers.. they are human beings, they make mistakes. To finish.. Yonnie, as soon as Crail new the extent of the damage he had done they in some way or another encouraged him to walk.. what more do you expect of them?

Yonnycage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -87
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #549 on: April 22, 2021, 11:24:30 AM »
You guys are nuts... Brandon didn't beat anyone, he filmed it. Sam did blackface before the current cultural movement which has shown how distasteful it is, but that doesn't make him the devil; assuming you are referring to Stevie with the homophobia comment, but that was during an argument with a shithead that probably got him heated and saying dumb things, not like he was actually doing anything terrible to someone with a different sexual preference than him, and lastly.. abusing women?.. Kenny argued with his lady, I never read or heard that he actually hurt her physically.. and in fact I believe the true story is that they were both volatile with each other and the fighting (verbal) went both ways. What are we missing here guys.. you want skaters to be nuns and priests? the level at which you all seem to hold these people is bonkers.. they are human beings, they make mistakes. To finish.. Yonnie, as soon as Crail new the extent of the damage he had done they in some way or another encouraged him to walk.. what more do you expect of them?

Sup Smyth

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #550 on: April 22, 2021, 11:24:52 AM »
lol blackface was distasteful in the 1950s you fucking moron
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Ayanami

• Rep: 55
« Reply #551 on: April 22, 2021, 11:28:39 AM »
“I did blackface BEFORE I’d get cancelled for it! It’s totally different guys!”
i like the tiny headed bear who says nice stuff to everyone.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #552 on: April 22, 2021, 11:32:04 AM »

except when you are a thespian....people still say Gandhi isn't distasteful

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #553 on: April 22, 2021, 11:39:09 AM »

Username checks out.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

alex

• Rep: 34
« Reply #554 on: April 22, 2021, 12:13:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Username checks out.

Beat me to it.

For fun let's go through these though:
- Didn't beat anyone that we saw from his own video, egged on and encourage the beating of someone who obviously is not all there seems much better right?
- Blackface existed before 2 years ago
- didn't realize we were all allowed to throw slurs out when we're annoyed with a shithead, might have to try this one out at work and let them know WhineyBitch said it was ok
- Abuse doesn't have to be physical but anyone who leaves their girlfriend at her cancer treatment appointment by causing a scene and storming out seems like a shit head, her statement had enough details.
- The yonnie thing is what they should've done for all of the above or at the very least issue a blanket statement condemning the type of behavior multiple of their riders are either proved to engage in or are accused of.

No one's expecting these guys to be saints but come on man there's plenty of guys in the industry that don't have this kind of baggage.
Suns out, im going skating. chow

Mr Cheese Resurrection

« Reply #555 on: April 22, 2021, 12:13:34 PM »
Ya’ll remember the 2008 Movie “Tropic Thunder”.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #556 on: April 22, 2021, 12:16:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

His father is Indian, so you kinda whiffed this one.   Linda Hunt’s Oscar for Year of Living Dangerously is a better target

Re: Blackface in the early 00s.   To me, at least, back then, there was a difference between “Blackface” and darkening your skin with makeup to portray a difference race.  I AM VERY AWARE BOTH ARE BAD NOW.  Blackface was specifically makeup designed to heighten racial stereotypes about facial features, etc while putting on darker make-up was something you saw comedians do often back then.  Jimmy Fallon on SNL and Jimmy Kimmel’s Karl Malone impersonations are notable examples.   It was more about trying to look like the person than make the person look “other”.  NOT JUSTIFYING IT ANY WAY, but there did seem to be a difference, at least in intent, back then.   We know better now, but I can’t really tar Smyth with that brush no matter how much he sucks

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #557 on: April 22, 2021, 12:17:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Do you remember that was meant to be a heightened, satirical look at how ridiculous getting into character could be for method actors?

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 641
« Reply #558 on: April 22, 2021, 12:23:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ted Danson got himself in deep shit for doing it at Whoopi Goldberg's friar's club roast in '93.  Does that mean Ted Danson isn't held in as high of regard as Sir Ben Kingsley?  Because I just can't wrap my head around that.

Get hungry on it!

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1098
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #559 on: April 22, 2021, 12:25:38 PM »
assuming you are referring to Stevie with the homophobia comment, but that was during an argument with a shithead that probably got him heated and saying dumb things, not like he was actually doing anything terrible to someone with a different sexual preference than him

Recently, I watched a fight occur between two roommates outside of a bar. One of them kept calling the other a homophobic slur as he pushed the other into a fence and tried choking him out, evidently blaming the other man for "burning up all [their] stuff." After the fight was done, a man standing around (possibly a mutual friend) raised the use of homophobic slurs, mildly censuring the man, who replied, "I was in a fight! I'm sorry!"

I also remember hearing a big news story (maybe in the 90's) about some white dudes in NY who hit with baseball bats a black man that was in their neighborhood. The white dudes were charged with a hate crime because they called their victim the n-word during the beating. Their counter to the hate crime charge was that their use of the n-word didn't have anything to do with their victim's race, but rather that the n-word was part of their regular vernacular.

The n-word has never been a part of my vernacular, but I used to use homophobic slurs on a regular basis (stopped in my 20's when I became friends with some gay men who urged me to realize the error of my ways).

I think the most compelling and altruistic reason to not use racial and homophobic slurs, when you are not part of that community, is to have self-respect and desire not to offend any member of that minority group nor contribute to their dehumanization.

But, another -- more selfish -- reason to excise such slurs from one's vernacular, if they were ever adopted in the first place, is because if you lose control and use those slurs in an altercation, you may be guilty of committing a hate crime.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #560 on: April 22, 2021, 12:49:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

His father is Indian, so you kinda whiffed this one.   Linda Hunt’s Oscar for Year of Living Dangerously is a better target

Re: Blackface in the early 00s.   To me, at least, back then, there was a difference between “Blackface” and darkening your skin with makeup to portray a difference race.  I AM VERY AWARE BOTH ARE BAD NOW.  Blackface was specifically makeup designed to heighten racial stereotypes about facial features, etc while putting on darker make-up was something you saw comedians do often back then.  Jimmy Fallon on SNL and Jimmy Kimmel’s Karl Malone impersonations are notable examples.   It was more about trying to look like the person than make the person look “other”.  NOT JUSTIFYING IT ANY WAY, but there did seem to be a difference, at least in intent, back then.   We know better now, but I can’t really tar Smyth with that brush no matter how much he sucks

but still why'd he need to "darken his skin" for his Indian role.

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #561 on: April 22, 2021, 01:05:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Username checks out.
[close]

Beat me to it.

For fun let's go through these though:
- Didn't beat anyone that we saw from his own video, egged on and encourage the beating of someone who obviously is not all there seems much better right?
- Blackface existed before 2 years ago
- didn't realize we were all allowed to throw slurs out when we're annoyed with a shithead, might have to try this one out at work and let them know WhineyBitch said it was ok
- Abuse doesn't have to be physical but anyone who leaves their girlfriend at her cancer treatment appointment by causing a scene and storming out seems like a shit head, her statement had enough details.
- The yonnie thing is what they should've done for all of the above or at the very least issue a blanket statement condemning the type of behavior multiple of their riders are either proved to engage in or are accused of.

No one's expecting these guys to be saints but come on man there's plenty of guys in the industry that don't have this kind of baggage.
Whiney also completely misses the more serious accusation against Kenny that he had nonconsensual sex with a drunk 22yo

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #562 on: April 22, 2021, 01:09:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I guess because they wanted the actor (born Krishna Pandit Bhanji) to look more like the actual Gandhi and less like the Raj.  Also, as skin lightness has big ramifications in Indian caste hierarchy, so it’s even more important to correctly portray him 

Reverse Sammy Sosa-ing isn’t a great look, but it’s near the bottom of racial outrages as he’s at least of Indian descent. 

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #563 on: April 22, 2021, 01:10:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Sup Smyth
lol look at his post history, every single one is related to crailtap and "rick and mike" this and that.  Whiney Smyth confirmed.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1087
« Reply #564 on: April 22, 2021, 01:14:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

One of the most brilliant satires of Hollywood in decades, and probably the best send up of blackface ever done in film. I think "Tropic Thunder" is one of the reasons why people now universally recognize the absurdity of things like blackface, or of having a lily-white actress of Irish descent like Emma Stone play hapa haole.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2223
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #565 on: April 22, 2021, 01:24:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Sup Smyth
[close]
lol look at his post history, every single one is related to crailtap and "rick and mike" this and that.  Whiney Smyth confirmed.
I was curious, so I did as you suggested.
If Whineybitch isn't Sam himself, they're for certs his personal assistant.
Shit's pretty funny.
Hi Sam.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #566 on: April 22, 2021, 01:24:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I guess because they wanted the actor (born Krishna Pandit Bhanji) to look more like the actual Gandhi and less like the Raj.  Also, as skin lightness has big ramifications in Indian caste hierarchy, so it’s even more important to correctly portray him 

Reverse Sammy Sosa-ing isn’t a great look, but it’s near the bottom of racial outrages as he’s at least of Indian descent.

not that I speak for indians but isnt there is also a colorist issue among groups.  Same with east indian/ caribbean, i know its the case in jamaican families

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #567 on: April 22, 2021, 01:27:08 PM »
For some reason, a half-Indian actor darkening his skin to portray a beloved political ethicist day in, day out over a six month production period in a major motion picture celebrating said political ethicist seems to hold more weight than a white guy donning blackface to "look like the most legit Flav possible" at a Halloween party.

But, you are right that the use of brownface in "Ghandi" has accumulated criticism in the years since.

not that I speak for indians but isnt there is also a colorist issue among groups.  Same with east indian/ caribbean, i know its the case in jamaican families

Different shades of skin can be a source of discrimination in probably most communities/cultures. I think Atiba Applebum was referring to India's caste system though.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caste_system_in_India
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 01:35:20 PM by EdLawndale »

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #568 on: April 22, 2021, 01:40:33 PM »
For some reason, a half-Indian actor darkening his skin to portray a beloved political ethicist day in, day out over a six month production period in a major motion picture celebrating said political ethicist seems to hold more weight than a white guy donning blackface to "look like the most legit Flav possible" at a Halloween party.

But, you are right that the use of brownface in "Ghandi" has accumulated criticism in the years since.

Expand Quote
[close]

Different shades of skin can be a source of discrimination in probably most communities/cultures. I think Atiba Applebum was referring to India's caste system though.

Yes I know and agree w. Caste system and it is notorious in many monarch based cultures in asia...but yea my point is cultural appropriation...regardless of comedy or drama.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #569 on: April 22, 2021, 02:09:55 PM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yes I know and agree w. Caste system and it is notorious in many monarch based cultures in asia...but yea my point is cultural appropriation...regardless of comedy or drama.

Hopefully, if Hollywood recognizes the value of audiences beyond just straight white males and makes room for a wider array of people to be bankable working actors, we'll see less and less cultural appropriation and more and more actors of all backgrounds given the opportunity to portray the roles that are best-suited for them (as well as more positive roles for minorities in general).

I wouldn't bet my life on it...but there is a bit more accountibility going on in Hollywood and it looks to be headed in that direction, for now...