Author Topic: Tell Us About Your Last Skate Session  (Read 65698 times)

Cool Ceith

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
Re: Tell Us About Your Last Skate Session
« Reply #1620 on: August 20, 2023, 09:55:07 AM »
I hit the tiniest little rock at the absolute worst time (right in that mid-setup/pop moment) yesterday and I went flying. I slammed like a 200-pound sack of potatoes  ;D It was extra painful because the zipper on my shorts got momentarily embedded in my hip, but it reminded me of that gnarly Caswell Berry footage where his jean rivets popped through his skin. Was that Bag of Suck extras?

I'm fine though, just a little sore  :D Sesh was fun otherwise

Larry

• Rep: 8
« Reply #1621 on: August 20, 2023, 11:02:55 AM »
I broke my middlefinger. Glad that it was my left hand.

I've had like a month long gap from skating during this summer and I went to do some warming up couple of days ago.

I'm going into the first bs slappy and I end up flying over to the flat and I can see it in bullet time, my finger just catching in all the impact. I can't recall if it bent too much

I shake it off. I could still move the hand and all the fingers without any issues. After a day the finger got so swollen that I had to show it at hospital
Just shred some serious gnar.

Phillyflared

• Rep: 38
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1622 on: August 20, 2023, 12:28:18 PM »
Skated some curbs and flat. Working on going faster both fs and bs for slappy's and sliding my noseslides farther.
Felt good after I was warmed up, a little sore from skating my old local the day before. I took a vacation day Fri and went out skating in morning which I almost never do.
May start trying to do that more often, I had the park all to myself minus the 2 drunk homeless lurkers on the corner flat bar asking for ciggys for almost an hr.
Not sure I can be team 7am, but maybe team 9:30am  ;)

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
« Reply #1623 on: August 20, 2023, 01:04:07 PM »
I skated on Heligoland today. I sucked but the scenery was stunning.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Haze

« Reply #1624 on: August 20, 2023, 11:13:34 PM »

Sunday. Session was solid. 1pm-8pm. Began skating in soho and hit every little thing I could find in the vicinity. Ended at union square. Buttery heelflips today.

Skating a heated wheel “rat rage”, 149 hollow Indy’s, bones stf’s

Watched for a moment at Washington square dudes were skating flat and doing shit over a fallen steel barricade by the arch. Lots of fakie which was cool.

Passed by supreme. The line to go in was very long. I wanted to get something but said fuck it. Another skater was there, he was cool.  He said to me “fuck this line, right!?” That was sick. I agreed with him.

The ramp adjacent to that building by Lafayette that Tyshawn Ollied over has been skate stopped. They nailed thick steel mesh onto it to slow anyone that tries anything there.

Good vibes to y’all. heal up if youre injured, and good sessions to all🤙

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1625 on: August 21, 2023, 12:03:52 AM »

Sunday. Session was solid. 1pm-8pm. Began skating in soho and hit every little thing I could find in the vicinity. Ended at union square. Buttery heelflips today.

Skating a heated wheel “rat rage”, 149 hollow Indy’s, bones stf’s

Watched for a moment at Washington square dudes were skating flat and doing shit over a fallen steel barricade by the arch. Lots of fakie which was cool.

Passed by supreme. The line to go in was very long. I wanted to get something but said fuck it. Another skater was there, he was cool.  He said to me “fuck this line, right!?” That was sick. I agreed with him.

The ramp adjacent to that building by Lafayette that Tyshawn Ollied over has been skate stopped. They nailed thick steel mesh onto it to slow anyone that tries anything there.

Good vibes to y’all. heal up if youre injured, and good sessions to all🤙

Any intel on how to get those buttery heelflips? I have them but it‘s always a huge battle to get a halfway decent specimen.
why come?

yghartsyrt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 232
« Reply #1626 on: August 21, 2023, 12:05:55 AM »
I usually only get to skate once a week at max, because my body sucks and I am way too old. Over the course of the last ten days, I managed to skate four times. Felt like being 13 again. Summertime, hanging out with friends, slowed by the heat. Tons of soda, ice cream and innocent skate sessions without any madness or trying to prove yourself something.
Consider me incredibly stoked - although everything hurts now and I’m not sure if I got a sore Achilles tendon out of it

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 463
« Reply #1627 on: August 21, 2023, 12:24:50 AM »
I usually only get to skate once a week at max, because my body sucks and I am way too old. Over the course of the last ten days, I managed to skate four times. Felt like being 13 again. Summertime, hanging out with friends, slowed by the heat. Tons of soda, ice cream and innocent skate sessions without any madness or trying to prove yourself something.
Consider me incredibly stoked - although everything hurts now and I’m not sure if I got a sore Achilles tendon out of it

This is how I was feeling before I bruised my right heel. Finally got past it and exploded my shin the other day which should be good ina  day or two but now my left achilles bothering the hell outta me. Couldn't just finish off the summer injury free of course haha. Useless aging body failing me again.

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1628 on: August 21, 2023, 12:35:55 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This is how I was feeling before I bruised my right heel. Finally got past it and exploded my shin the other day which should be good ina  day or two but now my left achilles bothering the hell outta me. Couldn't just finish off the summer injury free of course haha. Useless aging body failing me again.

Yeah. Would love to have a summer again without the looming feeling of „is this the thing that will stop me from skating for the next weeks“.
Fuck getting old.

But i must say, that i made peace with hanging out at the local diy without skating. Still anlogt of good vibes to be had and getting stoked on friends landing tricks and just hanging out
« Last Edit: August 21, 2023, 01:40:43 AM by yghartsyrt »

Haze

« Reply #1629 on: August 21, 2023, 12:46:57 AM »
Quote from: Easy Slider

Any intel on how to get those buttery heelflips? I have them but it‘s always a huge battle to get a halfway decent specimen.[/quote

Hey, Easy

I just try my best to pop them high, stay centered and land bolts. I think it helps to do them over something or off a curb.

Also, I use trucks that are less than the width of the deck. (not too much narrower). I believe that it makes the rotation feel very centered.

7.75 trucks on an 8” or
8.0 truck on an 8.5”
8.5 trucks on a 9 for example

P.S. <3 Matt Hensley

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1630 on: August 21, 2023, 12:49:43 AM »
Couldn’t get into it, slipped out on a warm up trick and kind of shook Me.

Happy to see the boys out on a Sunday though, maybe the next one will feel more like me.

wahwahwah

• Rep: -4
« Reply #1631 on: August 21, 2023, 02:05:10 AM »
I did a nollie bs flip and a swagged out tre on a really steep and short bank at one of my locals.

Got me really hyped cuz I have been thinking about both of those tricks for awhile now

after that i smoked a fat spliff and played bo2 with my homies
Sipe nousee sisään,
Niin nousee herkkokin.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1632 on: August 21, 2023, 04:30:42 AM »
Quote from: Easy Slider

Any intel on how to get those buttery heelflips? I have them but it‘s always a huge battle to get a halfway decent specimen.[/quote
Expand Quote

Hey, Easy

I just try my best to pop them high, stay centered and land bolts. I think it helps to do them over something or off a curb.

Also, I use trucks that are less than the width of the deck. (not too much narrower). I believe that it makes the rotation feel very centered.

7.75 trucks on an 8” or
8.0 truck on an 8.5”
8.5 trucks on a 9 for example

P.S. <3 Matt Hensley
[close]

Cheers bruh, I ride 144s on 8.38, can‘t the setup then, but I already knew it wasn‘t. Yeah, getting a good pop is important.
why come?

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #1633 on: August 21, 2023, 04:35:51 AM »
Landed a BS flip first try on a new deck after getting absolutely wrecked on one during a game of SKATE last week, i swear it's one of the worst tricks to primo when you're fully committed.

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
« Reply #1634 on: August 21, 2023, 10:50:54 AM »
Got a flat ground session last night after putting my daughter to bed at 7 pm. Doing all the shoves as a warm up has really been helpful in getting myself feeling better especially since I’ve only been getting like one session a week with how busy I’ve been.

My buddy does all the Ollie’s and 180s as a warm up and I did that too and it felt good. It feels good getting a first try 360 flip when I’m only skating once a week these days. Lots of things worked right away so I only had to do one. Good feeling first try heel flip. Good feeling switch flip.

Then the sun went down so I had a beer out back with my wife and stood on my board in the grass when I went to pick up my board it had a good amount of dew on it which I kind thought was odd because it wasn’t in the grass long but I wiped it off and brought it in. It was fine though. Hoping to have a session at an actual spot soon or at least take my box out or something. Getting better at time management. I miss skating with my friends since we have a lot more responsibilities now that we’re older but we have a group chat so we try to virtually skate with each other so I can take flat ground requests or send them requests when I know they’re skating a spot or just on flat or something.

Either way it’s always fun to get out there. Happy sessions mi amigos.

Blind Fisherman

• Rep: 71
« Reply #1635 on: August 21, 2023, 11:05:46 AM »
Spent the weekend trying to get a fakie pop shuv over this thigh high rail no one skates at my local park. Stuck it multiple times but never had the strength to roll away thanks to 100F degree weather. Hoping I can pull it this weekend after letting my body recover.

changed1

« Reply #1636 on: August 21, 2023, 04:56:23 PM »
Spent the weekend trying to get a fakie pop shuv over this thigh high rail no one skates at my local park. Stuck it multiple times but never had the strength to roll away thanks to 100F degree weather. Hoping I can pull it this weekend after letting my body recover.
Years ago for months I tried to fakie bigspin over a tall flatbar at my old local. I never landed it but I had to throw down switch to get speed which eventually led me to pushing and skating switch 24/7. It’s the best thing I ever did for my skate progression and it all started from me battling that fakie bigspin which I never even landed haha

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1423
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1637 on: August 21, 2023, 08:24:55 PM »
My car broke down on the interstate in Wyoming and i did some ollies on a brick bank in the rest area while waiting for a tow. A wild mustang was on the other side of the barbed wire watching me skate. 
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #1638 on: August 23, 2023, 08:42:01 AM »
Had a decent parking lot/flatground session waiting for my friend to get off work.

Went through the usual shit, but after reading the bigspin thread in trick tips, I 've been having the itch to try em.

Didn't roll away from any, but the trick is more intuitive than i expected. hopefully can stick one w/in another hour or two of practicing.

Went to throw down switch and got completely tangled and folded straight to the dirt
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

vicious cycle

• Rep: 166
« Reply #1639 on: August 25, 2023, 03:15:53 PM »
RIP Kickflips, we had a few nice years together but I think it's time to say goodbye..
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

work_lurker

• Rep: 92
  • I've never had a shaved head in my entire life
« Reply #1640 on: August 25, 2023, 04:18:21 PM »
Played a game of skate at the local on a parking block. Landed my first slappy front crooks on my 2nd attempt on my last letter. Came back and won the game with a slappy back lip (pretty much a slappy crook to back lip).
Was more hyped on learning a new trick.
Hopefully not a kook, but if so, fuck it.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #1641 on: August 25, 2023, 04:22:56 PM »
Played a game of skate at the local on a parking block. Landed my first slappy front crooks on my 2nd attempt on my last letter. Came back and won the game with a slappy back lip (pretty much a slappy crook to back lip).
Was more hyped on learning a new trick.

Between this and the heelflip thread I just remembered I've only ever landed fakie heelflips in a game of skate

FUBAR

• Rep: 240
« Reply #1642 on: August 26, 2023, 09:23:38 AM »
Schoolyard curbs. Fs and bs 5050s were about the only thing working. Then tried a slap bs feeble and it grinded. 7-8 more tries and then I went to boardslide instead of grind, flew through the air backwards, and slammed hard. I was due one of those…its been a while since I paid up.

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1643 on: August 26, 2023, 10:09:03 AM »
Took the day off yesterday to do boring adult stuff (DMV and the Bank). Once I got all that done went to skate the local park.
Got warmed up and landed my usual tricks on the ledge. Originally I wanted to try this trick I got close to landing last week but wasn't feeling it. Somehow I threw out a kickflip noseslide and thought why not try kickflip crooks. Surprisingly landed it second try but I didn't set up my phone right. luckily I did land another one within 5 minutes and filmed it better. For shits and giggles I thought Id try kickflip front crook and again surprisingly landed that in about 5 minutes.

If anyone cares to see the clip
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CwYbLVZBLp6/?igshid=NjIwNzIyMDk2Mg==

vicious cycle

• Rep: 166
« Reply #1644 on: August 26, 2023, 12:22:46 PM »
Learned slappy crooks and slappy fs 50s today. Feels good and made me forget my horrible flatground session from yesterday.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #1645 on: August 27, 2023, 01:21:16 AM »
This is more of a roundup of past few sessions.
I’ve been nollieing into stuff which I always kind of sucked.
It’s starting to pay off.

whale

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1646 on: August 28, 2023, 03:46:57 AM »

It paid today with a rolled ankle.

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1647 on: August 28, 2023, 03:57:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That’s a bummer. Heal fast

whale

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1648 on: August 28, 2023, 07:21:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

That’s a bummer. Heal fast

Thanks G.
Doesn’t feel too bad atm, but we’ll see soon.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #1649 on: August 28, 2023, 08:26:11 AM »
Someone dropped off some nice wooden ramps at the diy, a long lil QP, a bigger mellow QP, and a good ass kicker.

We used the small qp and kicker to make a mini fun box, with a ~2' flat on top.