Author Topic: "If it can be ollied, it can be kickflipped"  (Read 4743 times)

bob george

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 213
Re: "If it can be ollied, it can be kickflipped"
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2024, 02:24:24 AM »
Anyone got any idea what the highest kickflip (or any flip) might be? The jackson pilz fence one was pretty wild, but still off a kicker/bank (not that it wasn't still insane) . But maybe more specifically, the highest flip done from flatground over an obstacle?

i feel like robert neal did a pretty tall nollie front heel semi-recently...i think, not 100%.
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

vinithebr

• Rep: -19
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2024, 01:40:50 PM »
Anyone got any idea what the highest kickflip (or any flip) might be?

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
There is a physical limit to kickflipping over something that can be ollied.

The kickflip needs the width of the deck/trucks to pass under the feet, while the Ollie just needs the height of the deck/wheels.

The width is longer than the height.

Therefore, if the height of the jump of the person is equal in all circumstances, it is impossible for the kickflip to pass over the same height of obstacle as an Ollie (at the person’s maximum height of obstacle clearance).

*see the Reese Forbes x Element Ollie Challenge photo above where Danny Wainwright is ollieing your face.

So, in fact, the statement “if you can Ollie it, you can kickflip it” is not true as there are circumstances in which it is false.
[close]

focus nerd we're talking about sk8ing here
[close]

He's right though, you fuckin jabroni.
[close]

Actually, you fucking jabroni, he's wrong because if you time the kickflip correctly it will be horizontal over the obstacle, thereby negating the above argument.

Furthermore, one might argue that since the board will potentially be upside down over the obstacle when timed correctly, having the trucks out of the way, some obstacles may very well only be able to be kickflipped and not ollied over.
[close]

Which is it?

You fuckin jabroni.
[close]

Both, you fucking novice. Flicking and catching the board before reaching the apex of the pop will give the same clearance as an ollie of the same height. Flicking and catching the board so that it is timed to have the board be upside down at the apex of the pop will give slightly more clearance than an ollie. Both situations theoretically can yield as much or more clearance than an ollie.
[close]

Surely, with all of this kickflip theory expertise you must have an immaculate kickflip yourself. Are you able to kickflip everything you can ollie?

Because I certainly cannot.

And I have a spectacular kickflip, one might even say it's... Dylan-esque.
[close]

you seem to be taking this a little personally. this thread is about the theoretical limits of ollies and kickflips, not about each individual's personal capability. I understand you wanting to steer it in that direction, however, given how you've been absolutely handled.
[close]

I'm not really picking up what you're putting down here partner.

In all of your theory crafting, there doesn't seem to be an explanation for why people aren't kickflipping as high (or in your mostly lofty theory, even higher) as they ollie.

If you are so sound in your theory, you should try to prove it. That's what I was trying to assert when I asked you how good your kickflip was. Because until proven, it's just some crap that a guy on the Internet with a buster ass mobbed kickflip said.

Not exactly valuable.
[close]

anyone who can kickflip to the near theoretical limits of the trick isnt posting on slap, pal
[close]

idk man, I once hardflipped this high *shows with hand*

Baswell Cerry

• Rep: 0
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2024, 02:03:16 PM »
No Wray

[Applause]

Ty Evans Lightman

• Rep: -37
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2024, 11:44:56 PM »
Tyshawn could almost certainly kick flip the water towers. But he won’t.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1521
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2024, 01:51:09 AM »
If I remember correctly, Reynlods had a bs flip over two schoolyard plastic benches in a Digital vid montage? That was one really blew my mind back then

SlyAssHaoleFaka

• Rep: -3
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2024, 02:12:38 PM »
Im to lazy to look but fucking old ass Descenzo probably still got a massive flip up his old ass sleeve or under his old ass red bull hat

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Gnar Kook
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2024, 01:11:07 PM »
Tyshawn could almost certainly kick flip the water towers. But he won’t.

How would/could Oversized William shoot that