Author Topic: Evidence for God  (Read 51587 times)

tobey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
Re: Evidence for God
« Reply #210 on: September 23, 2017, 06:24:43 PM »
Wasn't the world supposed to end today because of what was said in the Bible? Man I'm starting to think the Bible might actually have some lies in it

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #211 on: September 25, 2017, 09:30:44 AM »
The Bible also accounts for God being infinite, eternal, immaterial, etc.

That's very problematic. Just because something is written doesn't make it truth or fact.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #212 on: September 25, 2017, 03:38:31 PM »
Not even if it's written on the internet?

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3341
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #213 on: September 25, 2017, 03:40:02 PM »
If Mary and Jesus were around today, would Mary drive a minivan?

Would she carry Jesus around in a baby bjorn?

Gorgeous

• Rep: -7
« Reply #214 on: September 27, 2017, 01:19:51 AM »
Expand Quote
I like how Friday is Simon's day to come on SLAP and simply go nuts on his keyboard, props to you for trying to be in multiple debates at once mate...

Expand Quote
Fair enough. With the emotionally hard cases such as rape or incest, this is where the human personhood of the fetus is even more important. If the fetus is, in fact, a precious unborn human person (which I believe science and philosophy demonstrate) then there is no justifiable reason to kill it. Why punish the innocent child for the crime of the rapist? Also, a lot of times what is not discussed is the unavoidable psychological scars that abortion leaves on the mother. Why lump the additional depression causing trauma on someone who has been raped? As difficult as such situations are, there is still to positive justification for abortion.
[close]
I don't think either of us are in any position to be able to judge what is best for ALL women in the case of rape mate; I would argue that each person deals with the trauma in a different way and thus forcing them to go down either path is a violation of basic human rights. To use your own arguments against you: why punish a woman who has already been raped? why lump the additional depression causing trauma (not to mention financial burden) on someone who has been raped?
I'd also like you to get some female input here bro because it's all fine and dandy when two dudes are chatting on a skate message board but could you seriously look your mother/ wife/ sister/ female friends etc. straight in the face and say, "well I'm sorry you got raped but you've got to have this baby because ... (wait for it) ... there is still no positive justification for abortion" ?
c'mon man, for someone whose religion preaches love and respect for their fellow (wo)man, that stance certainly lacks a lot of empathy from your camp.
Also, you failed to touch on the whole mother's health thing, but if I suddenly came to know that my wife's life would be in danger because of child birth, I would 100% be in favor of her living vs. her having the child and then passing away. Having said that, I'd also be 100% in favour of accepting her final decision either way because I respect, and love, her as a human being. If you are can't understand where I'm coming from here then I feel our debate is done... sorry, but I can't take you seriously as a religious man (or even as a human in general) as that sounds like the thought process of a psychopath. If I get no reply from you on this particular point, then we are done!

You mentioned science (because we all like to have science on our side right?) but again, I don't think science is on your side here hence why the medical community, in conjunction with the research carried out, have decided on a figure of around week 13 or less for the majority of abortions (91% in case you forgot the stat!). This is long before the fetus develops any sort of sentience/ ability to feel pain.
Is it a living organism? For sure! Does it react to outside stimuli? No doubt, but if you are going to go down that route why aren't you protesting against people who "holocaust" their gardens when mowing the lawn? What about dudes who jack off into tissues? billions of dead organisms right there! precious life tho right?
This is where I feel your argument is shaky at best because if we start the whole "name the trait" game, you're going to have to start standing up for the "death" of a plethora of other non-sentient things that share similar traits to that of an unborn fetus. Sentience is my base-line, what is yours?

Expand Quote
As far as abstinence from meat products goes, I am not fundamentally against refraining from meat/dairy consumption and I support a persons free speech right to disseminate information in those regards.
[close]
so ... in the case of killing/ consuming animals you're pro-choice then huh? :D I'm going to quote on this one mate, you said it, not me :p

Expand Quote
Nevertheless, since you referenced the Bible, I am willing to present a biblical case for the allowance of eating meat (if that would be of interest to you).
[close]
You are free to do so but I'm guessing that back then it was a lot easier to justify said actions when we weren't specifically rearing 60 billion animals annually solely for the purpose of slaughtering them (and profiting from said death).
Yes, you can present your biblical case and guess what? I'll probably agree with it in that certain context/ time period but god alone (or something he said hundreds of years ago) is not an infinite excuse for a certain behavior/ action. It's like Halal food, I don't give a fuck how you killed an animal, you still killed it and in my eyes that is going against the very fibre of your religion and any sense of compassion that you claim to have.

Simon, it's 2017, you live in developed country with a massive variety of non-animal based food options available to you, why do YOU specifically still choose to contribute to the death and suffering of sentient beings/ god's creatures when you could EASILY avoid doing so? I want to know your personal justification here not some 1000 year old out of date/ context quote from the bible.
Your god said, "thou shall not kill", it's one of his most famous teachings and yet you contribute to massive amounts of killing with your food choices on the daily when you don't need to. Please outline your reasons for doing so while being strongly opposed to abortion. Again, if you are having trouble with your answer go back to my original question to you:
Please indicate the trait that unborn fetuses possess, and that animals lack, that make you so adamant about protecting the life of one and not the other

Expand Quote
Also, if you don't mind me asking, are you by any chance Buddhist?
[close]
not at all, Buddhism also has a terrible track record with hypocrisy in regard to animal rights (not to mention all that pent up homophobia) despite also sharing a "you know, you guys probably shouldn't kill other living things yeah?" mindset.
I don't think fundamentally religions are necessarily evil and I do think that there are some valuable lessons within these texts and teachings, but it becomes very hard to take them seriously when at a base-level most religions preach non-violence and yet their followers are happy to cause unnecessary suffering and violence on a daily basis. I also fail able to comprehend why these type of people are unable to adapt their religions to our current situation(s)/ way of life...
[close]

One of the drawbacks to a forum like this is that it can all seem like dry, non-compassionate philosophy in the nuts and bolts of the discussion. A woman who suffers the trauma of a rape and has subsequently become pregnant as a result is obviously a very serous situation and one that should not be handled lightly. It is a traumatic situation that needs to be treated with love and compassion.

There are pointed responses to each of your specific challenges, though. In sum, the ability to feel pain is not a litmus test for being a human person, else people under anesthesia would not be human persons, etc. What is more, if there is a consensus of any community on anything (such as the medical community that you reference, although I would like to see an official source on that stat) what is being committed there is a logical fallacy of a consensus gentium which is just a fancy way saying an argument that appeals to a general consensus of individuals is a fallacious argument. A consensus of scholars should garner ones attention, but the fact that a group of scientists, doctors, lawyers, etc. have a general consensus on a matter is not evidence for its truth. a majority of people can be wrong (and they often are) truth is not determined at the ballot box.

For instance, many years ago the general consensus of scientists believed that animal life spontaneously generated from garbage, which is now obviously false (but was never true just because a general consensus believed it to be true). Also, the general consensus of scientists yeas ago was that the planets of the solar system all orbited the earth. This was later proven to be false, but was never true just because at one time a majority of scientists believed it to be fact. In like manor, even if you show multiple verified sources that the medical community affirms human personhood at 13 weeks, it is still the fallacy of consensus gentium.

I could go on, but I will say two things at this point. One is that even when abortion advocated appeal to the special circumstance of pregnancy due to rape, they don't just want to advocate for abortion in these circumstances, but they errantly use the emotionally charged circumstance to somehow cover the blanket argument for abortion on demand. This is fallacious. Its called an extrapolated argument.

Moreover, a very low percentage of rapes result in pregnancy, so again this even minimizes the force of use in abortion advocacy (a classmate of mine, John Fererr, has written on this and other related topics http://reasonsforjesus.com/why-rape-does-not-justify-abortion/ )

So, respectfully, since science and philosophy are on the side of precious unborn human life beginning at conception (here is a detailed article in support if you are interested https://answersingenesis.org/sanctity-of-life/when-does-life-begin/ ) then you can simply apply any argument you have made (even if in theory) for abortion advocacy to the status of a two moth old baby.

Can anyone justifiably murder a two month old baby because ... it is a financial burden to the mother? can a two month old can be murdered because the child's life *might* be emotionally difficult? ..because it is not as developed as a 4 year old child? .. because it is not self-conscious yet? etc, etc,? the answer to these is no. And, it (murder) would be no insofar as the two month old child of a mother who conceived by rape as well.

Then make mere change in 'zip code' of location of an unborn back inside the womb (i.e., applying the same arguments to an unborn child) and the same proposed murder justifying questions asked of it are still a resounding No.

Putting it another way, you can just ask this same question over and over to find the same No answer. If the unborn is a precious innocent human person, is is okay to murder them when ___________. (fill in the blank, then answer is still no. hence no justifiable instance)

It is based on this philosophy that I believe a mother (actual or potential) should be informed.

Now, as far as your additional question/challenge. That is a different ethical situation. In the case of an ectopic pregnancy (where the fetus is in the fallopian tube and will eventually kill the mother) the status of the fetus actually changes from innocence to that of being a threat to the mother (rather than being innocent) and often the decision is made to terminate the pregnancy and lose the one life rather than take it to term and lose the life of both the child and the mother. As far as ethics is concerned, this is not technically an abortion
( https://www.liveaction.org/news/get-facts-straight-treating-ectopic-pregnancy-not-abortion/ ) BTW, this is the ethics of Graded Moral Absolutism and is worthy of further study if you are not familiar with the term.

Again, respectfully (and thanks for the thought out chat, BTW) you seem to be doing what abortion advocates usually do by appealing to extreem, atypical, emotionally charged situations to try to make a case for abortion that goes outside of those parameters. Its simply a fallacious way to argue.

Moving forward, you simply seem to not want to hear my biblical case for the allowance of eating animal products, so my guess is that you don't want to hear my argument outside of the Bible referencing Aristotle and the 'hierarchy of being' argument from base to rational being etc.. so I will simply spare them as well at this point.

And, since at the onset you assured me that this entire debate (and I would imagine the denoted debates of God's existence, the validity of the Bible, the deity of Christ, etc.) would boil down to ethics. And, I agree.

So, at this point, I would just politely, yet assertively ask you. By what grounds are you saying that any behavior carried out by humans should be considered to be wrong?  

If veganism is just your opinion, then it is just that, your opinion.

By what standard are you saying that to be non-vegan is universally wrong and should be considered to be wrong by everyone?

This made my night.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #215 on: September 27, 2017, 02:10:14 AM »
which part of it? I'm thinking of penning a response but I don't know if I can take him too seriously now that he's quoting http://reasonsforjesus.com/ as a reliable source...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #216 on: September 27, 2017, 08:10:43 AM »
My apologies for my contribution in giving additional life to this thread. Normally I don't engage apologists, as it's like debating a drunken redneck about politics. Simon, you have no fucking clue what you're talking about.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3341
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #217 on: September 27, 2017, 09:58:26 AM »
My apologies for my contribution in giving additional life to this thread. Normally I don't engage apologists, as it's like debating a drunken redneck about politics. Simon, you have no fucking clue what you're talking about.

I'm glad that you contributed. There, I said it.

TheFifthColumn

• Rep: -113
« Reply #218 on: September 29, 2017, 02:55:44 PM »
Simon, you have no fucking clue what you're talking about.

This. Simon's "faith is factually provable" premise is hardly biblical.

Hebrews 11:1
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Romans 8:23-24
And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.

For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for?

Dude doesn't get science or Christianity. He can't even exegete properly, to the point where he misinterprets John 3:16, considered a crux of the gospel, as being a message about rejecting selfishness and humbling yourself before god.

Simon, you were wonderful as a clown on a surfboard. That was just as insane as this thread, but at least you knew what you were doing.

Simon Woodstock

• Rep: -35
    • Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #219 on: September 30, 2017, 09:02:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Seven pages of no evidence. Tight thread Simon. You still in SJ?
[close]

I live in Murrieta CA now. Its about 30 mins north east of Fallbrook, CA.

Just curious. What would you be willing to receive as sufficient evidence for the Christian faith? And, if you were given such evidence, would you be willing to become a Christian?

[close]
Talk to me as soon as churches give up their tax exempt status.

People in these debates often reference the 'separation of Church and state' and your issue with the tax status of the Church in the US is the proper application of that separation. Nevertheless, the Church is global (that is, it extends far beyond the US), and if/when you want to have a pointed discussion about Jesus, the Lord of the Church, then just let me know.

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #220 on: September 30, 2017, 09:05:59 AM »
Wasn't the world supposed to end today because of what was said in the Bible? Man I'm starting to think the Bible might actually have some lies in it

That was a misrepresentation of some people who don't understand the Bible. The Bible is clear to not "date set" as far as the events leading up to the return of Jesus are concerned.

"no one knows the day or hour when these things will happen" Matthew 24:36

It is the people trying to set the dates of return (and/or date the end of the world) that are in error, not the Bible. Hope that helps.

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #221 on: September 30, 2017, 09:11:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That's very problematic. Just because something is written doesn't make it truth or fact.

Good point. So then we need to look at the evidence in support of the Bible. The Bible has more internal, external, manuscriptural, statistical, and archaeological support for it than any other book from ancient history. If you are open to the evidence, and follow it to its logical conclusion, you might see that the Bible is a reliable source for truth claims about God, Jesus, faith, salvation, humanity, history, etc.

I actually laid some of the evidences out with D2L a while back.

Please let me know what you think.

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #222 on: September 30, 2017, 09:14:14 AM »
If Mary and Jesus were around today, would Mary drive a minivan?

Would she carry Jesus around in a baby bjorn?

Interesting questions. In general, I imagine they would carry out normal lives for the most part (speaking entirely theoretically, of course). Mary and Joseph were from normal society in the first century, partook in the Jewish customs of the times, and Jesus did carpentry as employment when He got older.

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #223 on: September 30, 2017, 09:30:55 AM »
which part of it? I'm thinking of penning a response but I don't know if I can take him too seriously now that he's quoting http://reasonsforjesus.com/ as a reliable source...

You can obviously continue the discussion anyway you see fit. But, keep in mind that you are committing a genetic source fallacy when you simply attack a source, see here: https://www.gotquestions.org/genetic-fallacy.html

If you refute the information presented by the source, that's fine. But a genetic fallacy will not suffice in refutation.

Also, and again please note that I am wanting to provide helpful advice (If you are willing to receive such a thing from me) in argumentation that there are plenty of similar/common fallacies that are best avoided in pointed discussion for the sake of fluidity.

A introductory list of those common fallacies to be avoided is here:
http://www.txstate.edu/philosophy/resources/fallacy-definitions.html

Nevertheless, I am hoping to avoid distraction at this point because I think now we can get somewhere.

I am essentially asking: On what grounds are you saying that there is anything wrong with anything?

If you are arguing from the standpoint that God doesn't exist, then your argument against non-veganism is simply your opinion. That is, there is no meta-ethical foundation on which you can stand in order to make an argument to be considered outside of your personal opinions on diet.

For the sake of clarification, I am not saying that people who don't believe in God cannot have ethics, or that they cannot make assertions about morals (such as animal rights). But, what I am saying is that there is no foundation for the ethical claims (i.e., oughts and ought nots) that enables them to stand outside of one's own personal preference.

In sum, I suppose the basic questions I am asking you (and hoping you will answer/explain) at this juncture are these: Based on your worldview, why is anything wrong with anything? And, if your moral judgements are not founded on anything outside of the scope of your personal opinion, why should I, or anyone else, take them seriously?

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #224 on: September 30, 2017, 09:51:12 AM »
My apologies for my contribution in giving additional life to this thread. Normally I don't engage apologists, as it's like debating a drunken redneck about politics. Simon, you have no [expletive] clue what you're talking about.

Hate to see you go. I was enjoying the dialogue and was being encouraged to do further research in the fields of discussion.

Nevertheless, since cosmological physics is so theoretical (and thus scholars from all camps even have stark in-house disagreements), it is best to just get to the core of the argument, which this specific thread inside of the other threads has provided a great context for example.

The whole groundbreaking deal with Einstein's theory of General Relativity was that by discovering that time, matter, and space were all co-relative, the universe therefore could not have been eternal as previously thought by scientists.

That is, the universe began to exist at some previous finite time in history (i.e., it had a beginning). Physicists across the board are in agreement of this fact (a fact also supported by the secularly approved purported evidences of fireball radiation, red shift, noted universe expansion, the laws of thermodynamics, etc).

The basic argument now is as follows:

The universe began to exist.

Did it come to exist by nothing, or did it come to exist by something greater than it?

The first option is impossible (or, at best, illogical) so the second option, that something greater than the universe caused it to exist, is the most logical conclusion.

Hence, God exists.

Or, to put it softer, the reader can simply ask themselves which is the most reasonable option out of the two available options of explanation. Was the entire universe caused by nothing, or something? What is the most logical conclusion?

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #225 on: September 30, 2017, 10:34:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Simon, you have no fucking clue what you're talking about.
[close]

This. Simon's "faith is factually provable" premise is hardly biblical.

Hebrews 11:1
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Romans 8:23-24
And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.

For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for?

Dude doesn't get science or Christianity. He can't even exegete properly, to the point where he misinterprets John 3:16, considered a crux of the gospel, as being a message about rejecting selfishness and humbling yourself before god.

Simon, you were wonderful as a clown on a surfboard. That was just as insane as this thread, but at least you knew what you were doing.

These are great verses that you quoted. Notwithstanding, it is important to take the entirety of Scripture in to account when discussing matters such as faith's relation to fact. The Apostle Paul was adamant about teaching the whole Bible "for I did not shrink from declaring to you the whole counsel of God." Acts 20:27 And I think it is important to follow his lead when we are discussing the topic of faith

Therefore, in balance of the important faith leap verses you cited (verses I would by no means argue against when brought into balanced consideration) it must be taken into account that the Bible does not teach that faith is a blind leap that is to be made apart from facts and evidences.

Examples:

The Apostle Paul referenced Creation as evidence for faith in God in Romans 1:20 "For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse."

Even the Psalmist, King David, acknowledged the faith supporting aspects of creation and the cosmos: "The heavens declare the glory of God; And the firmament shows His handiwork." Psalm 19:1

So, personal faith is to be based on the facts of God's creation.

Moreover, the whole point of Luke's Gospel (and his authorship of the book of Acts) was to provide factual evidences in support of the faith:

"Inasmuch as many have taken in hand to set in order a narrative of those things which have been fulfilled among us, just as those who from the beginning were eyewitnesses and ministers of the word delivered them to us, it seemed good to me also, having had perfect understanding of all things from the very first, to write to you an orderly account, most excellent Theophilus, that you may know the certainty of those things in which you were instructed." Luke 1:1-4

So, according to the full teaching the Bible, personal faith is meant to be founded on historical facts and accounts (which it is, btw).

Even the famous doubting Apostle Thomas wanted to see evidence before he would believe, and Jesus showed him the evidence with a subsequent response of faith from Thomas:

(John 20:24-29)
24 Now Thomas, called the Twin, one of the twelve, was not with them when Jesus came.

25 The other disciples therefore said to him, “We have seen the Lord.”

So he said to them, “Unless I see in His hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe.”

26 And after eight days His disciples were again inside, and Thomas with them. Jesus came, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, “Peace to you!”

27 Then He said to Thomas, “Reach your finger here, and look at My hands; and reach your hand here, and put it into My side. Do not be unbelieving, but believing.”

28 And Thomas answered and said to Him, “My Lord and my God!”

29 Jesus said to him, “Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

In sum, Thomas wanted to see the evidence before faith, Jesus gave him the evidence (empirical verification of His crucifixion wounds), and he believed.

While here in this context Jesus does commend those who would later come to faith without demanding evidence, this does not negate the existence (or the Bible's teaching) of faith supporting evidence.

In fact, in the context just prior to John 3:16 (the verse you rightly mentioned I was trying to represent) Jesus, speaking to Nicodemus, emphasizes the importance of having faith/belief in His teachings on the natural world in harmonious accordance with His teachings on salvation:

"If I have told you earthly things and you do not believe, how will you believe if I tell you heavenly things?" John 3:12

Although I think your analysis of the Bible is off, I would not deny the intended truths expressed in the previous verses that you cited , but a rule in Bible study is that when isolated verses are taken out of context, this often results in a pretext. In other words, when gleaning truths from Scripture, it is important to take the entire counsel of the Bible into consideration, or else one could wind up with a limited or even errant understanding of what it is teaching as a whole.

Also, here is a bit of a helpful commentary on Hebrews 11:1 "That verse reads, 'Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.'  While the writer to the Hebrews was trying to give one aspect of what faith means, this verse is no more an exhaustive definition of faith than the statement 'God is a consuming fire'—which is found in the following chapter—defines all aspects of who God is." (1) In similar stride, the other verses you cited need to be considered in light of the may verses that also support faith based on facts.

In conclusion, I would say that the understanding that you presented is limited, and that the Bible teaches that faith and fact go hand in hand.

Footnotes:
1. http://apologetics-notes.comereason.org/2013/04/what-is-faith-proper-understanding.html

« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 10:40:14 AM by Simon Woodstock »

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #226 on: September 30, 2017, 01:30:28 PM »
I think you're seriously overstating the Bible's support for evidence-based reasoning. Many of the quotations you've used to back up this argument have been taken from fairly trivial anecdotal/descriptive passages which don't seem to hold the prescriptive weight you ascribe to them. It's easy enough to cherry pick quotes from a text like the Bible and extrapolate on them to support a predetermined conclusion, which is another thing that in my eyes undermines its status as a valid source of truth claims.

The cherry picking also seems to be present in your approach to physics and cosmology (i.e. you gravitating to one book that explains the universe with theism despite your supposedly extensive study of physics). Do you ever worry that your own cognitive biases are leading you towards a warped perception of reality?

TheFifthColumn

• Rep: -113
« Reply #227 on: September 30, 2017, 05:14:15 PM »
These are great verses that you quoted. Notwithstanding, it is important to take the entirety of Scripture in to account when discussing matters such as faith's relation to fact. The Apostle Paul was adamant about teaching the whole Bible "for I did not shrink from declaring to you the whole counsel of God."[English Standard Version] Acts 20:27 And I think it is important to follow his lead when we are discussing the topic of faith...

...The Apostle Paul referenced Creation as evidence for faith in God in Romans 1:20 "For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse."[New International Version]

Even the Psalmist, King David, acknowledged the faith supporting aspects of creation and the cosmos: "The heavens declare the glory of God; And the firmament shows His handiwork."[New King James Version/American Kings James Version] Psalm 19:1

This is what makes you seem like you don't know what you're talking about. Your argument uses multiple versions of the bible for no apparent reason.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 06:50:14 PM by TheFifthColumn »

tobey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #228 on: September 30, 2017, 05:34:43 PM »
Look Simon we need to know the real answers to the universe and God. Like did God eat Mary's ass before getting her pregnant. I don't want to believe in a God who wouldn't warm up his lady before giving her a child

PincherBug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
« Reply #229 on: September 30, 2017, 06:35:20 PM »
Look Simon we need to know the real answers to the universe and God. Like did God eat Mary's ass before getting her pregnant. I don't want to believe in a God who wouldn't warm up his lady before giving her a child

How could Mary of been a virgin when she had Big Dick Baby Jesus?  Someone had to of brought it down the pipe to mammiii

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #230 on: September 30, 2017, 07:29:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Just curious. What would you be willing to receive as sufficient evidence for the Christian faith? And, if you were given such evidence, would you be willing to become a Christian?

[close]
[close]

People in these debates often reference the 'separation of Church and state' and your issue with the tax status of the Church in the US is the proper application of that separation. Nevertheless, the Church is global (that is, it extends far beyond the US), and if/when you want to have a pointed discussion about Jesus, the Lord of the Church, then just let me know.
Nah, I'm good.
you never know about pre-cum 

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #231 on: October 07, 2017, 11:17:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Woodstock, what do you have to say about the discipline of paleoanthropology which deals with archaic human fossils from neanderthals, denisovans, erectus, sediba, australopithecus, ardipithecus and others? According to scientists in that field, our species has been around at least 250,000 years. Anyone who studies evolution would say the earth has been supporting life for far longer than creationists believe.
[close]

In short, much of this purported paleontological evidence is suspect. and there has been a book authored called "Bones of Contention" that refutes the work done in this field that has been used to try to support evolution. If you would be willing to read the book, I would buy you a copy and send it to your house (PM me if interested and/or please do continue to put forth purported evidences in this regard).

Bottom line, evolutionary paleontologists go into their research with the presupposition that humans evolved from apes over millions of years, so they simply crunch their data to support their presuppositions (Note: presuppositions are unavoidable when doing research, but the evolutionary presuppositions continue to go unsupported, but rather 'shouted' by evolutionary scientists in spite of the evidence)
[close]

Fossils of ancient hominin species are still being found. The story of Homo naledi, whose bones were found a couple years ago, might be interesting to you: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/05/homo-naledi-human-evolution-science/

Also, evolutionary geneticists have been sequencing genomes of ancient species and finding out that human evolution also involved hybridization of Homo sapiens with extinct human groups such as Neanderthals and Denisovans. DNA testing of modern humans has borne this out. There is proof of evolution in your genes.

Paleontologists go into their research assuming evolution is true because everything they've learned has proven it to be. And until some massive trove of evidence and research comes along that proves it is wrong, they will continue to do their research in this way. I don't see anything wrong with that. It seems you approach any materials about evolution with the belief that it's false when you have far less of a basis for thinking that than these researchers have for believing it's a solid theory with a large body of research to support it.

First off, thanks for the challenge. It is important to take time to look at (or, in this case, revisit) opposing worldviews for better understanding of what is going on. Nevertheless, I am presenting information in response to the Homo naledi example and to the evolutionary approach to human origins in general.

I took a look at the article. While they are making efforts to differentiate the purported Homo naledi as being younger than others on their hominin so-called Ape Men examples, the unsupported rhetoric of previous examples is still prevalent throughout the writing.

The article is speculatory and filled with terms like "Did?" "It could be" "while unproven" etc. while tilting their findings towards fitting the landscape of their evolutionary trees and grids, and frankly I am surprised folks are still being duped by this kind of rhetoric.

Again, this entire discipline of evolutionary paleoanthropology has been dubious, based on exposed lies.

Here are some previous glaring examples of falsified information used to support evolutionary Ape Men.

Piltdown Man is held by some to be the greatest scientific hoax in all of history.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/hoax/

Nebraska Man (and his wife) were a deliberate hoax put forth to support evolution, which were actually based on the finding of a pig’s tooth.
http://thecreationclub.com/the-frauds-of-evolution-5-the-nebraska-man-hoax/

Admittedly, opponents of evolution have been guilty of using misinterpreted data as well (see the Piluxy River Tracks example in the link) http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/archaeology/g3051/fake-fossils/

But, this by no means reverses the propagation of falsehoods and misrepresented data from the evolutionary community.

While Nebraska and Piltdown were put forth form evolutionary paleontologists many years ago, the modern discoveries are not much better.

Example: The direct inclusion of a baboon bone into the Lucy remains
Evolutionist source here: https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn27325-baboon-bone-found-in-famous-lucy-skeleton/

(it is also on record that one evolutionary scientist did extra grinding on a Lucy replica to make it appear as though she could better walk upright)

A full Creationist response to Lucy is here: https://answersingenesis.org/human-evolution/lucy/a-look-at-lucys-legacy/

Moving forward, before and since Lucy, these purported Ape Men make the news every couple of months. Creation Scientists spend equal time putting out the fires.

Typically, evolutionists will do one or more of three things to make an Ape Man: 1) is to just start a hoax, 2) is to overemphasize ape features in human fossils, or 3) is to overemphasize/extrapolate human-like features in ape fossils.

Then, the artist rendition comes into play. This is the supposed evidence; creative drawings, sculptured replications, computer animations, etc. of what they have in mind as Ape Men must have looked; which are really just unfounded evolutionary art/sculptures/sketches made to fit their presuppositions. This is not evidence, its propaganda.

Again, the discipline in general is just dubious, as is the case with Homo naledi.

Dr. Elizabeth Mitchel responds directly to the Homo naledi case here:
https://answersingenesis.org/human-evolution/homo-naledi-new-species-human-ancestor/

If I understand the point you are trying to make here about DNA and genetics, it is actually a fact that DNA science confirms the existence of Adam and Eve from the book of Genesis:

“Genetics Confirms the Recent, Supernatural Creation of Adam and Eve” https://answersingenesis.org/bible-characters/adam-and-eve/genetics-recent-supernatural-creation-adam-eve/

Paleontologists go into their research assuming evolution is true because everything they've learned has proven it to be. And until some massive trove of evidence and research comes along that proves it is wrong, they will continue to do their research in this way. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Presuppositions in research are unavoidable, but the evolutionary presup in paleontology is unsupported.

Jonathan Wells (Ph.D. Berkley, Ph.D. Yale) calls purported Ape to Man evolution the "Ultimate Icon" and debunks it here:

It seems you approach any materials about evolution with the belief that it's false when you have far less of a basis for thinking that than these researchers have for believing it's a solid theory with a large body of research to support it.

The trove of evidence supports that the presuppositions and subsequent results of evolutionary paleontology are patently dubious, such as any and all of the "Icons of Evolution" are.

Evolutionists are simply trying to use homology to prove missing links and doing so detached from the true facts of the world. As Wells points out, Ape Men are the Ultimate (unsupported) Icon:

Wells further debunks the main evolutionary icons here:

Wells’ book Icons of Evolution is a available here:

https://www.amazon.com/Icons-Evolution-Science-Teach-About/dp/0895262002/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1507398294&sr=8-1&keywords=icons+of+evolution

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #232 on: October 07, 2017, 11:22:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Woodstock, what do you have to say about the discipline of paleoanthropology which deals with archaic human fossils from neanderthals, denisovans, erectus, sediba, australopithecus, ardipithecus and others? According to scientists in that field, our species has been around at least 250,000 years. Anyone who studies evolution would say the earth has been supporting life for far longer than creationists believe.
[close]

In short, much of this purported paleontological evidence is suspect. and there has been a book authored called "Bones of Contention" that refutes the work done in this field that has been used to try to support evolution. If you would be willing to read the book, I would buy you a copy and send it to your house (PM me if interested and/or please do continue to put forth purported evidences in this regard).

Bottom line, evolutionary paleontologists go into their research with the presupposition that humans evolved from apes over millions of years, so they simply crunch their data to support their presuppositions (Note: presuppositions are unavoidable when doing research, but the evolutionary presuppositions continue to go unsupported, but rather 'shouted' by evolutionary scientists in spite of the evidence)
[close]

Fossils of ancient hominin species are still being found. The story of Homo naledi, whose bones were found a couple years ago, might be interesting to you: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/05/homo-naledi-human-evolution-science/

Also, evolutionary geneticists have been sequencing genomes of ancient species and finding out that human evolution also involved hybridization of Homo sapiens with extinct human groups such as Neanderthals and Denisovans. DNA testing of modern humans has borne this out. There is proof of evolution in your genes.

Paleontologists go into their research assuming evolution is true because everything they've learned has proven it to be. And until some massive trove of evidence and research comes along that proves it is wrong, they will continue to do their research in this way. I don't see anything wrong with that. It seems you approach any materials about evolution with the belief that it's false when you have far less of a basis for thinking that than these researchers have for believing it's a solid theory with a large body of research to support it.

Hey ChurckRamone. I just got around to responding to this. Please take a look at it. And if at this juncture we agree to disagree on those points, all good. Thanks for allowing the two weeks for me to reply.

Notwithstanding, since I took the time to reply, I do now have a related question for you. Can you explain to me how the immaterial souls of humans (souls that possess the mind, the will, emotions, etc.) came about by purely materialistic, naturalistic, evolutionary processes?

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #233 on: October 07, 2017, 11:37:45 AM »
I think you're seriously overstating the Bible's support for evidence-based reasoning. Many of the quotations you've used to back up this argument have been taken from fairly trivial anecdotal/descriptive passages which don't seem to hold the prescriptive weight you ascribe to them. It's easy enough to cherry pick quotes from a text like the Bible and extrapolate on them to support a predetermined conclusion, which is another thing that in my eyes undermines its status as a valid source of truth claims.

The cherry picking also seems to be present in your approach to physics and cosmology (i.e. you gravitating to one book that explains the universe with theism despite your supposedly extensive study of physics). Do you ever worry that your own cognitive biases are leading you towards a warped perception of reality?

Thanks for this. I do plenty of worldview introspection, that is for sure. I like it.

I disagree with you on the cherry picking. I think the examples that I gave support the faith/fact claims, but would be willing to hear out some further commentary you might have on any or all of the examples that I gave. But, I would express that if you look at Genesis to Revelation as a whole, there is certainly no dichotomy between faith and fact prevalent throughout the Scriptures. What is more, the validity of the Bible relies heavily on external factual verification from history, archaeology, etc. thus has no detachment of faith claims from factual basis.

As far as my studies in Physics (which are by no means exhaustive, btw) I am into three scholars at this time, D. Russel Humphries, Danny Faulkner, and Jason Lisle. I am drawn to their research as I see them as being rightly influenced by Einstein's General Theory of Relativity, which I believe to be very factually supported in cosmology. And, I see their theories based on General Relativity also coinciding with the Bible. I simply find that interesting. I have researched Hugh Ross and William Lane Craig etc. (Christian scholars that hold to the Big Bang, but also hold to General Relativity) and I find some of their research interesting. Sooner or later I will do other research in Stephen Hawking, et al. to learn more about opposing views to those I currently hold. I have interest in the history of Science as well, so Einstein, Newton, Keplar, and the like are on the reading docket as well.

I am certainly open to further discussion here on the matters too.

What do you think of the previous questions I posed on causality? Did everything come from nothing, or from something? I am curious to hear your thoughts.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 11:48:49 AM by Simon Woodstock »

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #234 on: October 07, 2017, 11:40:42 AM »
Expand Quote
These are great verses that you quoted. Notwithstanding, it is important to take the entirety of Scripture in to account when discussing matters such as faith's relation to fact. The Apostle Paul was adamant about teaching the whole Bible "for I did not shrink from declaring to you the whole counsel of God."[English Standard Version] Acts 20:27 And I think it is important to follow his lead when we are discussing the topic of faith...

...The Apostle Paul referenced Creation as evidence for faith in God in Romans 1:20 "For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse."[New International Version]

Even the Psalmist, King David, acknowledged the faith supporting aspects of creation and the cosmos: "The heavens declare the glory of God; And the firmament shows His handiwork."[New King James Version/American Kings James Version] Psalm 19:1

[close]

This is what makes you seem like you don't know what you're talking about. Your argument uses multiple versions of the bible for no apparent reason.

Thanks for paying such close attention. The versions I use are all based on the earliest extant Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek manuscripts. Moving forward I will indicate the versions used when I quote. If you have a specific issue with any of the versions I cited with regard to any of those specific passages, just let me know.

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #235 on: October 07, 2017, 11:43:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Nah, I'm good.

Well, as the Bible says, there are none good. Maybe take the Good Person Test when you get a chance. Thanks for coming out, man.

Are you a good person? Take the test: http://www.needgod.com/004.shtml

Pigeon

« Reply #236 on: October 07, 2017, 11:48:13 AM »
My great granddaddy wasn’t a monkey!

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #237 on: October 07, 2017, 12:00:36 PM »
Pretty good evidence for God.

Are you a good person?

The thread that keeps on going:

Lots of great evidence for God.

The Cosmological Argument:

The Argument from Design:

The Argument from Morals:

Evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus:

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #238 on: October 07, 2017, 12:01:39 PM »
My great granddaddy wasn’t a monkey!

Good insight. None of our ancestors were.

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #239 on: October 07, 2017, 12:07:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Good point. So then we need to look at the evidence in support of the Bible. The Bible has more internal, external, manuscriptural, statistical, and archaeological support for it than any other book from ancient history. If you are open to the evidence, and follow it to its logical conclusion, you might see that the Bible is a reliable source for truth claims about God, Jesus, faith, salvation, humanity, history, etc.

I actually laid some of the evidences out with D2L a while back.

Please let me know what you think.

I think that the Bible is an amalgamation of centuries of previously told stories and myths, from multiple cults and religions, all rolled into one book. It seems pretty straight forward if you look at the evidence.