Author Topic: Zero in trouble?  (Read 19621 times)

ziggy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -214
Re: Zero in trouble?
« Reply #150 on: April 09, 2020, 05:30:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I never noticed Dane was slowly losing his hair. It wasn’t like Brockman, who started showing signs of balding young. My brother also went bald young, and I support their struggles. But one day Dane had long Australian locks, the next day he was bald, and ZERO was bankrupt. Another concern is Jaime’s inability to adapt to consumer’s interests and tastes, which are constantly changing and quite dynamic. ZERO’s style is tired. It comes across as dated. It doesn’t age well.
[close]

You're not wrong but he got it right with the Maiden boards. Maiden is timeless and has a rabid fanbase that will buy anything with Eddie on it. Hell, if he slapped a COA in the shrink and priced them at $150 they'd probably go even faster. I've resisted thus far but I know at some point I'm going to end up buying one (probably the Killers one) and probably would have even if I'd never skated in my life. Granted that's not a long term solution and you can only go to that well so many times.

Moving back to dwindle wood probably brought his costs down a bit though right? Maybe he's trying to get cozy with those guys and then swoop in and steal Darkstar's walmart deal. That seems like something he'd do.
[close]
Zero's image is bandana's and tight, ripped jeans? Burly rock'n'rollers but Christian? How do you revamp that for 2020? I don't think a splash of neon's gonna do it. Team up with Brian Sumner and go full Christian? DSM wood seems like it'd be cheaper than BBS but I bet the real reason is distro and sales/warehouse staff. Maiden boards seem like they should be a hot seller so maybe Zero's in-house sales team sucks. Or they can't leverage other brands to for shops to buy Zero.. Now Dwindle should be handling all that for him and he gets to cut some overhead. Unless he's just getting wood like NHS and Palace.. If he passed on $50mil out of.. honor? Is he gonna sellout and do Walmart completes? Actually.. economic future is looking horrible and I bet he's got a huge mortgage payment..
[close]

zeros new image - balding grumpy men

that would resonate heavily with SLAP, one would think

Davethedavedave

• Rep: -101
« Reply #151 on: April 09, 2020, 07:40:34 PM »
Jamie Thomas is a choad

rawr1922

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #152 on: April 09, 2020, 11:22:28 PM »
Jamie did a tour of Zero's headquarters on insta story earlier in the week. How is it possible they have a facility like that?! Would have bet my life they downgraded to a shack years ago. From the looks of that place, zero doesn't look like they in trouble. 

Bobby Lashley

« Reply #153 on: April 10, 2020, 07:52:10 AM »
Jamie did a tour of Zero's headquarters on insta story earlier in the week. How is it possible they have a facility like that?! Would have bet my life they downgraded to a shack years ago. From the looks of that place, zero doesn't look like they in trouble.
shoulda screen recorded dat. So we can have a full on chunk fest about it

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #154 on: April 10, 2020, 07:59:44 AM »
Who was it who offered the $50,000,000?

globe fusion

• Rep: 3
« Reply #155 on: April 10, 2020, 09:14:11 AM »

wondering the same lol

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #156 on: April 10, 2020, 09:16:48 AM »

I didnt see it, but I visted Black Box a few times in the early-aughts and it was a fairly nice typical business park place. If its the same  joint, Jamie might have bought it, leased it out when BB was collapsing, and became the tenant again as he's tried to bring it back. hard to say.
ok thanks

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #157 on: April 10, 2020, 11:56:19 AM »

rawr1922

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #158 on: April 10, 2020, 01:37:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I didnt see it, but I visted Black Box a few times in the early-aughts and it was a fairly nice typical business park place. If its the same  joint, Jamie might have bought it, leased it out when BB was collapsing, and became the tenant again as he's tried to bring it back. hard to say.

Quite possibly, leasing it out during the rough time would have been smart. Just trying to do the math & doesn't add up. That rent gotta be anywhere $3K-$5K/ month. Find it hard to believe zero can generate enough income to cover expenses.  I recently bought a Tommy Guns "Loser Heavy Series." Immediately noticed how low the quantities available for each pro deck all less  than 5 & 10. Low production numbers indicates low profits.

I think the only way zero boat still floating because this is Jamie's passion project. He must be getting bunch of royalities from a bunch of sources & whatever profits he makes off ebay. How else could he pay for that facility? I can't even tell you last time I saw a a zero deck out in the wild. 

legion

• Rep: 32
« Reply #159 on: April 10, 2020, 01:50:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Quite possibly, leasing it out during the rough time would have been smart. Just trying to do the math & doesn't add up. That rent gotta be anywhere $3K-$5K/ month. Find it hard to believe zero can generate enough income to cover expenses.  I recently bought a Tommy Guns "Loser Heavy Series." Immediately noticed how low the quantities available for each pro deck all less  than 5 & 10. Low production numbers indicates low profits.

I think the only way zero boat still floating because this is Jamie's passion project. He must be getting bunch of royalities from a bunch of sources & whatever profits he makes off ebay. How else could he pay for that facility? I can't even tell you last time I saw a a zero deck out in the wild.
Is it the same building that had the skatepark and lil team apartment thingie? I don't look into commercial real estate but that's rental prices for a nice house in socal.. I'd guess $10k or more for a big warehouse building. Maybe he bought it when Blackbox had money? Can/does he split up the building and rent out?

Yep. Seems like they do small runs. Not a good sign for how much cash they have on hand or how many shops are buying their stuff, and how much they're buying. Kinda seems like Birdhouse to me, it's a loss leader but helps to promote them as sponsored skaters.

rawr1922

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #160 on: April 10, 2020, 01:59:20 PM »
Think different building. Didn't watch the whole tour. The front room decent sized lobby with a couch. The office consisted of an open layout with desks everyone shares. Even Jamie shares a desk which I found humbling. The warehouse looked decent size & legit. Yeah I was just throwing numbers out there, you're right rent likely a lot more than I guessed.

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 985
« Reply #161 on: April 10, 2020, 02:01:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
Is it the same building that had the skatepark and lil team apartment thingie? I don't look into commercial real estate but that's rental prices for a nice house in socal.. I'd guess $10k or more for a big warehouse building. Maybe he bought it when Blackbox had money? Can/does he split up the building and rent out?

That was the Black Box HQ on Loker Ave. Chief didn't own that property then and he doesn't own it now.

whorific

• Rep: -169
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #162 on: April 10, 2020, 08:18:47 PM »
who?
" I did not say this I am not here"