Author Topic: Andrew Reynolds | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 55  (Read 15547 times)

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 250
Re: Andrew Reynolds | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 55
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2017, 04:33:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Pma all day from this episode
[close]
umm what? he's not a female and doesn't have periods...?

i work at a comic book company and someone made a joke that when a woman is on her period, she has a bad brain.  needless to say he got in trouble with h.r. and is now banned in DC

RoaryMcTwang

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 442

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2017, 05:23:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

i work at a comic book company and someone made a joke that when a woman is on her period, she has a bad brain.  needless to say he got in trouble with h.r. and is now banned in DC

best response!
males can't get periods anyway otaku, they just have to make do with their bloodclot faggots

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2017, 05:49:36 PM »
the GOAT. Fight me.

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2017, 06:20:49 PM »
The best of the best

hadouken

• Rep: 54
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2017, 06:28:12 PM »
What a fucking legend. Those Maloof stories are gold.

The fucking boss, him and DGKALIS keep me stoked.

EDIT - God, that Joslin/Davis gap talk had me laughing. "He was being kind!"

Shout out to the "Reynolds eats fruit..."
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 06:42:02 PM by hadouken »
&& lives to fuck the tits off new mums

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2270
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2017, 06:50:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
God dammit

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -286
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2017, 07:52:30 PM »
The true GOAT.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1970
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2017, 08:17:03 PM »
Forever the best.

pabloalvarado

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
  • Elissa Steamer is a superstar.
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2017, 11:52:16 PM »
It was super cool when he was talking about Baker 2G and how he used to be tight with Jim Greco. He even mentions how everything was so cool with Gloria as the song and the whole look and vibe. So naturally I need to put that part cause hell yeah; it is a fucking classic.

Baker definitely is top5 to me. Muito amor !

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 250
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2017, 12:14:16 AM »
It was super cool when he was talking about Baker 2G and how he used to be tight with Jim Greco. He even mentions how everything was so cool with Gloria as the song and the whole look and vibe. So naturally I need to put that part cause hell yeah; it is a fucking classic.

Baker definitely is top5 to me. Muito amor !

it would have been awesome if Grecos in his more gender bending days skated to Patti Smith's rendition

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -490
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2017, 12:49:03 AM »
I went back and watched his 90s parts and dude is so on it even then, he has nearly every trick. Like I know koston gets the love for tech shit but Reynolds could give him a run for his money in that time. The el toro thing made 12 year old me happy cause after baker 3 that's all anyone could talk about. It's cool to hear he actually did check it out and was like it's not worth it. Kinda wish he front side flipped Davis. Crazy to think he 27 -28 in stay gold. That makes him 22-25 in baker 3? Never realized how young he was in that video
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -286
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2017, 03:31:45 AM »
I went back and watched his 90s parts and dude is so on it even then, he has nearly every trick. Like I know koston gets the love for tech shit but Reynolds could give him a run for his money in that time. The el toro thing made 12 year old me happy cause after baker 3 that's all anyone could talk about. It's cool to hear he actually did check it out and was like it's not worth it. Kinda wish he front side flipped Davis. Crazy to think he 27 -28 in stay gold. That makes him 22-25 in baker 3? Never realized how young he was in that video

Reynolds is soo far ahead of Koston in terms of GOAT comparisons that it's not even funny. If you think otherwise you need your head examined.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2017, 03:47:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Reynolds is soo far ahead of Koston in terms of GOAT comparisons that it's not even funny. If you think otherwise you need your head examined.
Reynolds was in his 30's for Stay Gold. Some of the footage may have been from his 20's, but I would guess most was filmed at 30/31.

As for Koston/Reynolds comparables. Both have ridiculously iconic careers with legendary video parts and iconic photos. To say one is so far ahead of the other that it isn't comparable is ridiculous. Reynolds is definitely a better ambassador to skateboarding (as Koston kooks it on social media quite often), but personally, Koston's run from Falling Down-Goldfish-Mouse-Chocolate Tour-Menikmati-Yeah Right is unfuckable with. So many iconic tricks from that era such as the back noseblunt down Hubba. Reynolds had a ridiculous run from the late 90's to Stay Gold. But, I don't think anyone was really giving Koston a run for his money in regards to tech stuff on big rails in the late 90's.

Righteous Victim

• Rep: 110
  • Get yourself looked at.
    • Letterboxd avatar image
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2017, 05:14:00 AM »
He said there's gonna be a Heath Epicly Later'd.

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 442
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2017, 05:25:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Reynolds was in his 30's for Stay Gold. Some of the footage may have been from his 20's, but I would guess most was filmed at 30/31.

As for Koston/Reynolds comparables. Both have ridiculously iconic careers with legendary video parts and iconic photos. To say one is so far ahead of the other that it isn't comparable is ridiculous. Reynolds is definitely a better ambassador to skateboarding (as Koston kooks it on social media quite often), but personally, Koston's run from Falling Down-Goldfish-Mouse-Chocolate Tour-Menikmati-Yeah Right is unfuckable with. So many iconic tricks from that era such as the back noseblunt down Hubba. Reynolds had a ridiculous run from the late 90's to Stay Gold. But, I don't think anyone was really giving Koston a run for his money in regards to tech stuff on big rails in the late 90's.

Heath.

Reynolds is miles ahead of Koston by now because he started around the same time and still hasn't stopped.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1512
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2017, 06:15:50 AM »
Koston definitely has a broader trick selection, but he has been acting like a disk a lot, so he gets hated on

meanwhile, reynolds never kooked out, except for that I wanna be a Baker

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2017, 06:20:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Heath.

Reynolds is miles ahead of Koston by now because he started around the same time and still hasn't stopped.
Heath went bigger, Koston was more tech. Just look at the stuff he had in the late 90's/early 2000's. Nollie heel back nose and nollie back noseblunt Arco 9 (also done at the Wilshire 10), Tre-flip front nose blunt, b/s noseslide pretzel out and the kickflip back tail on the green rail. Obviously, other guys like Heath, Arto and McCrank were killing it with flip in/switch stuff on rails too during that time.

Koston also has been around longer than Reynolds and definitely had more iconic video parts early on. But what is Reynolds first iconic part? The End which was 1998 which by that time Koston had dropped a couple legendary parts in Falling Down, Goldfish and Mouse? Either way, they are both iconic skateboarders that define a certain era. Reynolds killed it from The End/Baker/Baker 2g/This is Skateboarding/Baker 3/Stay Gold. I think it'd be foolish to stay one is way ahead of the other.

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2017, 07:01:34 AM »
Reynolds > Koston. It's not even close anymore. Don't @ me.

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2017, 08:39:08 AM »
Who will be the next generations Reynolds, Kalis, Carroll/Howard? Big names who will hold it down for Skateboarding as corporate money comes in and out of the industry?

Who will represent skateboarding well 10 years from now?

Crockett/JJ and Quasi?

Theories brands?

Primitive

Koston and Guy with Numbers?

datura

• Rep: 23
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2017, 09:26:45 AM »
hahahaha I love the story of Tony Hawk making all the super tacky graphics and transitions in Ravers and being super proud of himself. Funny to imagine Tony sweating over an overheating Amiga as he tries to make the word "HAWK" spin around in circles over his face.

Casey Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -53
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2017, 10:00:50 AM »
hahahaha I love the story of Tony Hawk making all the super tacky graphics and transitions in Ravers and being super proud of himself. Funny to imagine Tony sweating over an overheating Amiga as he tries to make the word "HAWK" spin around in circles over his face.

I think Rogers quick Hawk story of him shitting his pants at a demo in this episode was the funniest thing so far on the nine club

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2017, 02:17:15 PM »
Who will be the next generations Reynolds, Kalis, Carroll/Howard? Big names who will hold it down for Skateboarding as corporate money comes in and out of the industry?

Crockett/JJ and Quasi?

Theories brands?

Primitive

i hope i'm wrong, but i doubt there will be a repeat. the boss, kalis, carroll, rickk, etc. came up in a time that was staunchly anti-corporate. even so, most of their peers still caved. these days big corpo is the norm. sell out. get yours. you need (millions) to support your family, yo.

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2017, 02:21:53 PM »
Expand Quote

Crockett/JJ and Quasi?

Theories brands?

Primitive

[close]
i hope i'm wrong, but i doubt there will be a repeat. the boss, kalis, carroll, rickk, etc. came up in a time that was staunchly anti-corporate. even so, most of their peers still caved. these days big corpo is the norm. sell out. get yours. you need (millions) to support your family, yo.

It's sad, but I also feel like they will never be replaced. There's plenty of super cool, gnarly skaters coming up these days (rowan zorilla, riley hawk), but the world isn't the same. It's a cynical, nihilistic time.

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2017, 03:00:20 PM »
First time listening to a 9 club, or any podcast really, for me.
It's hard enough to keep up with the constant stream of videos. Now I gotta add hours of talking into the mix?
But, I had it on in the background while working, and I'm glad I did. Can't resist when it's the Boss.

If I were to listen to a second one, any recommendations? I'm leaning towards the J Wray one.

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2017, 03:05:48 PM »
It's hard enough to keep up with the constant stream of videos. Now I gotta add hours of talking into the mix?
But, I had it on in the background while working, and I'm glad I did. Can't resist when it's the Boss.

If I were to listen to a second one, any recommendations? I'm leaning towards the J Wray one.
steve olson hands down.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2017, 03:07:08 PM »

Carroll's was good for early 90's stories. Depends on what you want. For example, the Clements one touches on a lot of things in the industry business wise you rarely heard talked about which made it extremely interesting for some and unique. Steve Olson was great.

thebacker

« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2017, 03:17:57 PM »

the jeremy  wray one is FANTASTIC as is the wenning one

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2017, 03:43:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Heath.

[close]
Heath went bigger, Koston was more tech. Just look at the stuff he had in the late 90's/early 2000's. Nollie heel back nose and nollie back noseblunt Arco 9 (also done at the Wilshire 10), Tre-flip front nose blunt, b/s noseslide pretzel out and the kickflip back tail on the green rail. Obviously, other guys like Heath, Arto and McCrank were killing it with flip in/switch stuff on rails too during that time.

Koston also has been around longer than Reynolds and definitely had more iconic video parts early on. But what is Reynolds first iconic part? The End which was 1998 which by that time Koston had dropped a couple legendary parts in Falling Down, Goldfish and Mouse? Either way, they are both iconic skateboarders that define a certain era. Reynolds killed it from The End/Baker/Baker 2g/This is Skateboarding/Baker 3/Stay Gold. I think it'd be foolish to stay one is way ahead of the other.
Koston was a lot better a lot earlier, Koston was one of the best street skaters around 93-95 era, Andrew was still this weird little kid gap prodigy, Andrew was still kinda sloppy in the era also. Andrew also kinda disappeared after Birdhouse Untitled, maybe it wasn't all his fault, Birdhouse wasn't making any videos at the time and i guess he was stuck in Florida with not much happening besides a Union Video and a Airwalk video. I think it was around 97 he really started to re emerge, thats when he finally grew and was killing all the 411s and Transworld videos. So Koston was on top in that whole era, i think a lot of people just though Andrew was forever gonna be that random Birdhouse dude in Florida forever. So i don't think you can compare either of them cuz of timeframes and skate styles really.

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2017, 04:28:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Crockett/JJ and Quasi?

Theories brands?

Primitive

[close]
[close]

It's sad, but I also feel like they will never be replaced. There's plenty of super cool, gnarly skaters coming up these days (rowan zorilla, riley hawk), but the world isn't the same. It's a cynical, nihilistic time.

I felt those guys were irreplaceable as I was writing the post.  If skaters are too busy self-promoting instead of creating a real community what will happen when Thiebaud wants to retire, when Templeton shuts Toy Machine instead of selling it...

Will any of these these small board brands become legacy brands like Baker or will  they just leave when the well dries up and not try to push through.