Author Topic: French skate mag Sugar is done....  (Read 1948 times)

BALARGUE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 628
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
Re: French skate mag Sugar is done....
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2024, 02:47:48 AM »
Expand Quote
It's a bitter sweet situation.
My guy Juan Renoux on the cover (and poster) and my boys from Derby with the 12 page feature is most certainly the proudest moment since i opened Balargue Skateshop in 2016. So stoked for them.
Landing on the cover on the last issue ever gives a rather ambivalent feeling. Accomplishment mixed with sadness and concern. I actually started skateboarding around the time Sugar #1 hit the shelves in 1997. Seeing this mag die has a lot of weight especially considering the state of the skateboarding market at the moment as stated in the editorial.

Anyway Juan is a beast. So many skateboarders from all over the world walked by this rail in La Défense and said "Nope". May this trick inspire a couple young skateboarders staring at their bedroom's wall.

Where do we get skateboarding posters when all printed media is dead ?
[close]

kudos to your bros!

btw I was wondering about that rail....is it the one in the picture? With a super rough roll up? like the whole parvis de la Déf ? Honestly never thought of that thing as a spot....granted my days of skating la Def were mostly in the 80s, so handrail skating was not exactly common   :P
and yeah it's crazy to think how many pros walked by it!

Merci pour eux !

yeah this is the one

Alan

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2541
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: French skate mag Sugar is done....
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2024, 06:07:41 AM »
Sad news. I bought an issue in 2018 during a layover at CDG, was shocked that it was still around even back then! Was just again at CDG last week and am kicking myself for not remembering to look for it again.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud