Author Topic: North Hollywood was an objectively terrible movie  (Read 29791 times)

fs180

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -267
Re: North Hollywood was an objectively terrible movie
« Reply #270 on: June 08, 2021, 08:00:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
the plot isn't really thick and never gets to the point of building up excitement.
its kind of like once upon a time in Hollywood romanticizing with the Hollywood of the 60s 70s but far less good and interesting and accurate.
also I dont even know what time this plays since they dont use mobile phones but other modern technology.
i dont like how the camera picture has vignettes. the one shot in the beginning has unnatural speed to thinks you would do like smoking for 2 sec just to cough and the way the camera goes plus the walls dont look like its been made in a good way.
this goes through out the movie. some whacky shots and it just doesn't look like a movie.

nico is a talented actor who I could see in a few horrible but still good college movies. ararmis and the main character were just exchangeable if it wasn't about skating and had 5min of skating in it.
vince vaughn did his thing and was one of the only believable characters.
[close]

Wow NH is less accurate than a movie that ends with the Manson family not murdering anyone.   Woof
[close]

im talking about framing the time it plays. once upon a time in Hollywood is only about showing people how the 60s and 70s were. the plot ends beeing not accurate to what happened in real life but it shows real life in the 60s and 70s in Hollywood.

NH plays with being "vintage" like going to a diner drinking a milkshake in converse and your college jacket.
it romanticizes with older times by not including phone calls from your mobile phone or instagram or any type of modern technology.
but also it misses to make it logical by including other modern things.
[close]

I don’t know what you’re babbling about.  Once Upon a time also takes place in 69 and at no part is in the 70s

you dont seem to bright up there
what makes most movies fucking great is how they frame the world that the movie plays in.
once upon a time in h is great example for not only not having a classical tension arc but perfectly framing the end of the 60s and the years to come (70s). it has so many details that you feel like living in that era.

Wes anderson for example creates alternative worlds full of saturated colors and beautiful shot pictures that somehow make sense in its own.

North Hollywood doesn't define the time it plays in but wants you to love the vintage aspect in it. it has saturated colors (f.e. the swimming pool scene) but ugly shots. it want to create its own world but it doesn't work.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1484
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #271 on: June 08, 2021, 08:03:08 AM »
Mikey Alfred is a genius, ya'll are just haters who can't accept his greatness.
He's an idiot savant without the savant.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
« Reply #272 on: June 08, 2021, 08:12:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
the plot isn't really thick and never gets to the point of building up excitement.
its kind of like once upon a time in Hollywood romanticizing with the Hollywood of the 60s 70s but far less good and interesting and accurate.
also I dont even know what time this plays since they dont use mobile phones but other modern technology.
i dont like how the camera picture has vignettes. the one shot in the beginning has unnatural speed to thinks you would do like smoking for 2 sec just to cough and the way the camera goes plus the walls dont look like its been made in a good way.
this goes through out the movie. some whacky shots and it just doesn't look like a movie.

nico is a talented actor who I could see in a few horrible but still good college movies. ararmis and the main character were just exchangeable if it wasn't about skating and had 5min of skating in it.
[close]

Wow NH is less accurate than a movie that ends with the Manson family not murdering anyone.   Woof
[close]

im talking about framing the time it plays. once upon a time in Hollywood is only about showing people how the 60s and 70s were. the plot ends beeing not accurate to what happened in real life but it shows real life in the 60s and 70s in Hollywood.

NH plays with being "vintage" like going to a diner drinking a milkshake in converse and your college jacket.
it romanticizes with older times by not including phone calls from your mobile phone or instagram or any type of modern technology.
[close]

I don’t know what you’re babbling about.  Once Upon a time also takes place in 69 and at no part is in the 70s
[close]

what makes most movies fucking great is how they frame the world that the movie plays in.
once upon a time in h is great example for not only not having a classical tension arc but perfectly framing the end of the 60s and the years to come (70s). it has so many details that you feel like living in that era.

Wes anderson for example creates alternative worlds full of saturated colors and beautiful shot pictures that somehow make sense in its own.

North Hollywood doesn't define the time it plays in but wants you to love the vintage aspect in it. it has saturated colors (f.e. the swimming pool scene) but ugly shots. it want to create its own world but it doesn't work.

What’s a classical tension arc?   

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #273 on: June 08, 2021, 08:14:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

this is a fun conversation to watch unfold, and i feel like it would benefit from these film-studies terms...i'll be lazy and just include the definitions from Wikipedia:

diegetic (or diegesis)-- "in the cinema, typically refers to the internal world created by the story that the characters themselves experience and encounter: the narrative 'space' that includes all the parts of the story, both those that are and those that are not actually shown on the screen (such as events that have led up to the present action; people who are being talked about; or events that are presumed to have happened elsewhere or at a different time)"

non-diegetic -- "Thus, elements of a film can be 'diegetic' or 'non-diegetic'. These terms are most commonly used in reference to sound in a film, but can apply to other elements. For example, an insert shot that depicts something that is neither taking place in the world of the film, nor is seen, imagined, or thought by a character, is a non-diegetic insert. Titles, subtitles, and voice-over narration (with some exceptions) are also non-diegetic..."

edit: i meant to mention that nothing about this film seemed interesting...has it been on Netflix?

fs180

« Reply #274 on: June 08, 2021, 08:21:50 AM »
start plot plot building up plot building up plot building up plot at his climax the resolution for the plot end

there's no building up tension in once upon a time in Hollywood. most old movies from the time the movie plays dont have this formula and it was refreshing to see it being used again. some would say boring but it gives you the unexpected at any time even if nothing happens at all.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #275 on: June 08, 2021, 08:29:16 AM »
start plot plot building up plot building up plot building up plot at his climax the resolution for the plot end

there's no building up tension in once upon a time in Hollywood. most old movies dont have this formula and it was refreshing. some would say boring but it gives you the unexpected at any time even if nothing happens at all.

So you don’t think there’s any tension in a movie that takes place on the day of the Manson murders where one of the main characters is Sharon Tate (not to mention, if you know anything about the murders, a stuntman - which was Brad Pitt’s character’s occupation- did die at Spahn ranch earlier that day)?   There’s definitely a build up of tension and catharsis when you see that history doesn’t play out as it actually happened. 

Jagr

• Rep: 116
« Reply #276 on: June 08, 2021, 08:34:15 AM »
What the hell does the first teen movie studio mean?

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #277 on: June 08, 2021, 08:35:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
new illegal civ movie was bad? i thought skaters were notorious for being great actors...
[close]

He's no Frank the Nose
[close]

Machotaildrop = best skate movie

"You don't understand! I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am, let's face it."

AfterBlackEnderEnder

« Reply #278 on: June 08, 2021, 08:36:34 AM »

there's no building up tension in once upon a time in Hollywood. most old movies from the time the movie plays dont have this formula and it was refreshing to see it being used again. some would say boring but it gives you the unexpected at any time even if nothing happens at all.

Damn dude you sound like a true aficionado. Is your favorite movie The Godfather? Just like your visionary filmmaker, Sir Mikey Alfred?

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #279 on: June 08, 2021, 08:40:33 AM »
Macho Taildrop was so good. Did not know of it's existance til I visited this thread a couple weeks ago. 10/10 might be my favorite movie of all time. The part with Frank with the horses just felt super emotional to me for some reason, it just made me super happy. This movie is super meta i think it is supposed to actually be a critique of pro skateboarding actually while also making a mockery of it without being corny. The music and the setting of the movie is amazing too and just the way its shot and stuff.

mushroom slice

« Reply #280 on: June 08, 2021, 08:46:21 AM »
Other then Police Academy 4 or Most Vertical Primate 2 (the two best skateboard movies of all time)this  movie was no better or worse then any other skateboard movie. I’d throw back to the future in there as well but at this point I consider that movie to be more of a warning or prophecy then entertainment.
Everyone looked like happy days bringing me to a lost memory of the time I meet Henry Winkler in an elevator and I said Heeeeey in my best Fonz impression and he scowled at me and we rode the rest of the way in silence. He was short.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #281 on: June 08, 2021, 08:50:11 AM »
cringe... a movie about a sponsor me video

Brguy

« Reply #282 on: June 08, 2021, 09:52:11 AM »
You guys don't realize that skate movies are simply a way to idolize dumb young people behavior and see your favorite pros skating? Leave the good story arches to actual movies. Didn't even know there was a link already, will watch it later.

fs180

« Reply #283 on: June 08, 2021, 10:07:28 AM »
Expand Quote

there's no building up tension in once upon a time in Hollywood. most old movies dont have this formula and it was refreshing. some would say boring but it gives you the unexpected at any time even if nothing happens at all.
[close]

So you don’t think there’s any tension in a movie that takes place on the day of the Manson murders where one of the main characters is Sharon Tate (not to mention, if you know anything about the murders, a stuntman - which was Brad Pitt’s character’s occupation- did die at Spahn ranch earlier that day)?   There’s definitely a build up of tension and catharsis when you see that history doesn’t play out as it actually happened.

there is tension in the movie but it doesn't build up in a classical way. the masons arent the opponents or the resolution for any problems. other movies build up some sort of tension. 3/4 into once upon a time and you still dont know what the movie could end with.

North Hollywood has a classic story line. it tries not to have one but at the end its the same old I just want to be accepted dad dont be a fake friend and put your dreams over friendship type story like almost any teenage movie ever.

Anti waxxer

• Rep: -12
« Reply #284 on: June 08, 2021, 10:32:52 AM »
I’m yet to read through all 10 pages of this thread. Saw an ad for it scrolling on Instagram last night and it was one of the worst things I’ve ever fucking seen and it was only like 30 seconds long. I thought that Mikey Alfred was a kook when he suggested decks should cost $120 bucks on the 9 club but the ad for that movie made him unfathomably more kookier to me.

How do pros tolerate that dude? Why hasn’t he been kooked to infinity and beyond?

pro club blanks

« Reply #285 on: June 08, 2021, 10:58:29 AM »
Heard it started out as a play by David Loy Webber

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
« Reply #286 on: June 08, 2021, 11:26:59 AM »
See what you get when you fuck with illegal civ!

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -487
« Reply #287 on: June 08, 2021, 11:33:10 AM »
can you watch this for free yet? this looks pretty bad, but I love bad movies. if they are free

Check your pms
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #288 on: June 08, 2021, 12:05:47 PM »
Well, definitely wasn't great. One thing I remember that how at a certain point in the movie the main character would  just randomly tell one of his friends they were embarrassing or a piece of shit for seemingly no reason.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2248
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #289 on: June 08, 2021, 12:36:54 PM »
Well, definitely wasn't great. One thing I remember that how at a certain point in the movie the main character would  just randomly tell one of his friends they were embarrassing or a piece of shit for seemingly no reason.
That's what you're supposed to do once you get your dream girl and lose your virginity.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

goldenbullcow

• Rep: -406
« Reply #290 on: June 08, 2021, 01:17:42 PM »
The best movie about skateboarding is The Man Who Souled the World. The rest is garbage

That was a documentary you silly goose

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1306
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #291 on: June 08, 2021, 01:40:23 PM »
cringe... a movie about a sponsor me video
I wish. Dude barely films in the movie and just complains about how much he hates his friends the entire time. I would much rather watch a movie about somebody stacking clips.

mushroom slice

« Reply #292 on: June 08, 2021, 04:34:22 PM »
does every one in this movie besides Vince von actually skate ? That’s not a bad thing. That’s actually pretty sick. It wasn’t always like that. Some creeps that didn’t never push on a bird ever made the movies for ya. You guys all act like it’s cool to be all inclusive but still findA way to hate on anyone doing some shit that dosnt jive with you. You are all haters. It’s ok. Everyone hates. It feels
Good to hate. It feels better to LOVE

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2248
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #293 on: June 08, 2021, 04:59:43 PM »
does every one in this movie besides Vince von actually skate ? That’s not a bad thing. That’s actually pretty sick. It wasn’t always like that. Some creeps that didn’t never push on a bird ever made the movies for ya. You guys all act like it’s cool to be all inclusive but still findA way to hate on anyone doing some shit that dosnt jive with you. You are all haters. It’s ok. Everyone hates. It feels
We don't have to love every single thing though

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #294 on: June 08, 2021, 05:31:32 PM »

mushroom slice

« Reply #295 on: June 08, 2021, 05:39:10 PM »
Hi spell check
High
Thank you for correcting how I speled
A famous persins name.
Mfa
Most forgotten assholes

IpathCats

« Reply #296 on: June 08, 2021, 08:36:12 PM »

I'm a huge hater, and I'll be the first to admit it. Fuck this movie, fuck  Mikey Alfred and his corny ass fits, fuck Vince Vaughn, and fuck putting shrooms on pizza instead of PB&j. I wake up angry every God damn day, east coast.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #297 on: June 08, 2021, 09:26:10 PM »
It’s cool talentless rich dipshits get to make everything they have no idea about now

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -487
« Reply #298 on: June 08, 2021, 09:32:36 PM »

I think about this often. And I’ve come to the conclusion it means Mikey Alfred wants to be the next Dan Schneider.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #299 on: June 08, 2021, 09:42:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think about this often. And I’ve come to the conclusion it means Mikey Alfred wants to be the next Dan Schneider.

Miranda Cosgrove just can’t escape. 

Hopefully Mikey isn’t having kids write IC on their feet and posting a pic of it