Author Topic: The Fastest, Most Fearless Crew in Skateboarding  (Read 5490 times)

essal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
Re: The Fastest, Most Fearless Crew in Skateboarding
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2018, 06:06:29 AM »
the same crew that barely has foot to eat has $1000+ pieces of clothing? cool gq.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2018, 01:42:38 PM »
^They don’t actually wear that shit, gq gives it to them for a chance to make some extra ad revenue by describing the brand and price of every item of clothing they wear.

These "skateboarders in GQ OMG" threads come out every month.

One of the GQ editors Noah Johnson is a New York skater and is semi-close to the quartersnacks dudes. So you are just going to see more skaters in that mag (Nyjah, Na-kel Smith, The Hawks, Bones Brigade, and Koston all in the past two years).

Also there was a shift in the past 3 years to get more 30 somethings running GQ and their side projects, so there is a wider range of cultures being repped raped instead of just Hollywood guys.

Fixed. We get it, Skateboarding is cool and GQ wants to exploit that to try to get in with a new young hip audience.

Also, why is it that it seems like good writing and writing about skateboarding have become mutually exclusive? Its been AT LEAST a solid decade since any good skate journalist has emerged. All there is these days are a bunch of in-crowd bros who want to kiss ass to maintain their status. Sometimes its kissing skate corporate ass, other times its gq or whatever other bullshit corporation is trying to exploit skateboarding. Either way, the idea of a “skateboard journalist” is a paradox. Jenkem is probably the exception, but is small compared to everybody else.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2018, 07:06:55 PM »
Lol nigga I guess. It's not like they captured gx and told them to wear expensive clothes or they'll never see their families again. They agreed to do some semi-corny shit for money.

Speaking of weird fashion stuff, has anyone ever Google image searched "the menswear dog"?

SOTY

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2018, 07:24:08 PM »
We get it, Skateboarding is cool and GQ wants to exploit that to try to get in with a new young hip audience.

Also, why is it that it seems like good writing and writing about skateboarding have become mutually exclusive? Its been AT LEAST a solid decade since any good skate journalist has emerged. All there is these days are a bunch of in-crowd bros who want to kiss ass to maintain their status. Sometimes its kissing skate corporate ass, other times its gq or whatever other bullshit corporation is trying to exploit skateboarding. Either way, the idea of a “skateboard journalist” is a paradox. Jenkem is probably the exception, but is small compared to everybody else.
Any skate writing that doesn't focus on who did what where is on the right path. I've read some great articles over the years, but I have to agree that most of it is beyond phoned in. What do you think of boiltheocean?

Shamalamalon

• Rep: -14
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2018, 11:51:00 PM »

Anyone see the Na-kel  article linked underneath that gq article..?

Na-Kel Smith on Acting in Jonah Hill’s New Film, His Latest Collaborations, and Why Skateboarding Always Comes First
https://www.gq.com/story/na-kel-smith-mid-90s-brooks-brothers-adidas-collab

Dude looks pretty stylish, prob not his gear tho....

[URL=http://s109.

FLstrange

• Rep: 324
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2018, 12:00:59 AM »
It's not like they captured gx and told them to wear expensive clothes
#freegx

ShyLow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 57
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2018, 10:14:35 AM »
If you want to be cool like these core skaters, then you need to cop the clothes they would never be caught dead wearing.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2018, 06:49:29 AM »

using this article to prove your point is kind of unfair.  this article is meant to be looked at on the pooper and give people ideas how to dress for their upcoming weekend at adult summer camp. the words are there as filler.  its not meant to be in depth.  its not "journalism." and its not about skateboarding. skateboarding is just the setting and the GX crew are literal props.   I do agree that when people write about skating its generally hokey and tone deaf.  The new york times article is a way better example of this.  Its more a symptom of the lack of stories that will have mainstream appeal.  Personally I have a feeling that in the run up to the Olympics a story worth a long form article will a emerge and someone like the new yorker will pick it up.  it will get at least 3 pages on the slap board.  maybe a letter to the editor.
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2018, 09:02:05 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

using this article to prove your point is kind of unfair.  this article is meant to be looked at on the pooper and give people ideas how to dress for their upcoming weekend at adult summer camp. the words are there as filler.  its not meant to be in depth.  its not "journalism." and its not about skateboarding. skateboarding is just the setting and the GX crew are literal props.   I do agree that when people write about skating its generally hokey and tone deaf.  The new york times article is a way better example of this.  Its more a symptom of the lack of stories that will have mainstream appeal.  Personally I have a feeling that in the run up to the Olympics a story worth a long form article will a emerge and someone like the new yorker will pick it up.  it will get at least 3 pages on the slap board.  maybe a letter to the editor.
I didn't just mean people who don't skate writing about skating, I mean it seems that interesting writing and writing about skateboarding seem to always be mutually exclusive.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out