Author Topic: One In A Million NYC  (Read 236141 times)

trannies and mannies

Re: One In A Million NYC
« Reply #1380 on: April 18, 2012, 09:51:30 PM »
I hope Alex Klein notices the great feedback Colin's edit will probably have and then feels like a douche.

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
« Reply #1381 on: April 18, 2012, 09:52:36 PM »
I hope Alex Klein makes an account.
"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 561
« Reply #1382 on: April 18, 2012, 10:08:30 PM »
what the fuck is this shit

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #1383 on: April 18, 2012, 10:13:19 PM »
Before everyone comes down on Alex Klein for being part of this, you have to admit: The filming, editing and production of this show is really top-notch, and although it was put together with a relatively small crew of people behind the camera, it still looks and feels like a high-value production.

Also remember that a "reality show" is first of all a SHOW, and the skaters signed up to play a game. Now, all reality shows are pretty much whack, and no wonder a skateboarding game show comes out whack as well...

Alex is a talented skater and top-notch filmmaker and obviously not afraid to experiment. This experiment failed, but it's only failure if no one learns from it.

whatever you say Alex
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

rudetude

• Rep: 1
« Reply #1384 on: April 18, 2012, 10:55:12 PM »
no one rules if no one obeys

ahl33

« Reply #1385 on: April 18, 2012, 10:56:25 PM »

This show was definitely not "about" skateboarding.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 10:59:23 PM by Nagger Head »

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -601
  • who knows
« Reply #1386 on: April 19, 2012, 12:14:46 AM »
beyond whack.  beyond embarrassing. i was actually backing lurker lou because it appeared that behind the scenes he was a rad guy...then here he is in the last episode throwing them all under the bus and carrying on like a moron.  him saying what he did in this final episode voids any credibility in my book.

"nobody deserves it" that video of John Finucan is a legit part.

it seems like JT was set up. i hope he chimes in.

Lurker Lou is obviously a gigantic pole polishing bitch boy. Does your beard come with a trident? faggot face.

Did Steve Rod-boro have a stroke? cause half his face looks like it's refusing to move with the other half. Along with the shit that flew out of his regular mouth. Actin' like a fuckin' hotshot cool guy, you just fagged it dude.

^ amazing
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 12:17:07 AM by Tyroneshoelaces »
where is home?

mandibleclaw

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 560
  • "RIP to myself one day." -jereme rogers
    • mandible claw avatar image
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1387 on: April 19, 2012, 12:32:06 AM »
"nobody deserves it" that video of John Finucan is a legit part.

exactly.  almost everyone came away from this with as much as jon, and some people had even more (tyler and alex conn filmed like 2 full parts over the week).  they all fucking killed it.  as you can see in jon's part he put up, no one can say they "weren't ripping like they were last year"--they were fucking killing it.  the episodes left an incredible amount of amazing footage out.  but you'll all see it soon.
We are a noble sport more noble than any other

mandibleclaw

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 560
  • "RIP to myself one day." -jereme rogers
    • mandible claw avatar image
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1388 on: April 19, 2012, 12:38:12 AM »
Before everyone comes down on Alex Klein for being part of this, you have to admit: The filming, editing and production of this show is really top-notch, and although it was put together with a relatively small crew of people behind the camera, it still looks and feels like a high-value production.

Also remember that a "reality show" is first of all a SHOW, and the skaters signed up to play a game. Now, all reality shows are pretty much whack, and no wonder a skateboarding game show comes out whack as well...

Alex is a talented skater and top-notch filmmaker and obviously not afraid to experiment. This experiment failed, but it's only failure if no one learns from it.

and no, i don't have to admit that.  did you actually pay attention to the episodes?  there are consistency issues, there are parts you can obviously tell were edited out of context to prove a certain point, the audio is often blown out, half of the HD footage looks horrible and dizzying because they used shitty wide-angle lenses....  joseph unexplainably appears on crutches, then disappears....lurker lou does a switch nosegrind.... the editing is fucking shitty.
We are a noble sport more noble than any other

Mat

• Rep: -14
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1389 on: April 19, 2012, 12:45:51 AM »
The last episode makes it seem like everyone is talking about something different, everyone has a different idea of what they are there for. I get the impression that the kids thought it would just be a week long street skating jam session contest kind of thing.

Having the cameras in your face doesn't seem like something to really trip out on. of course there will be cameras, but i guess you're too close mannn. obviously there is alot of background stuff that we don't see and are being shown one perspective but i don't think its fair to put it all on the judges and klein. yeah what came of it wasn't the greatest thing, the judge panel, breaking boards and stuff is too theatric but i doubt it was as  bad as the kids acted.

"putting them through hell" is overboard. you have to skate around a block with a pizza box, that's not a big deal, yeah its lame but its hardly the worst thing that could possibly happen, no reason to get up set. and i think the kids could have played the game better jump over some barrels, draw a picture, skate around a block, try and ollie a stick, and keep skating. you're getting exposure, free gear, meeting pros, obviously getting footage if that john kid can make a 2 min part in only six days.

edit: having read the nieratko article, i guess the whole format thing about it wasnt common knowledge
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 01:16:37 AM by Mat »

Box of Frogs

• Rep: 7
« Reply #1390 on: April 19, 2012, 01:04:13 AM »
Stroke Rodriguez should give the kids credit, appears they took his skateboarding is about marketing bullshit to heart.

In the end you are in charge of your own image (in lack of better words) and how you project yourself to the public. The contestants did the smart thing from a marketing standpoint. They decided to show the skateboarding world that they are true skaters and strong individuals who arent going to put up with all the bullshit outside influences in skating.

Sure, none of them will probably recieve energy drink checks but they all proved that they dont want that. Respect

Erica's boyfriend is stealing our erica and our dylan! fuck that guy!

grave

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1391 on: April 19, 2012, 03:09:45 AM »
OIAM last year: Brian Anderson hooks you up with pizza
OIAM this year: you deliver pizza to no one

Fenzadill

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
  • lemme get the 4 dollar one
« Reply #1392 on: April 19, 2012, 05:52:35 AM »

I don't know what the fuck you're talking about, from an editing standpoint that shit was full of holes and non-congruous.  Regarding the camera work, Mandible's VX footy was filmed well, but regarding all the "reality show" HD lifestyle footage, how hard is it to capture that?

Also, I fucks with that lil' country goofball, that kid rips and I like his weird style.
example. i cant cast a spelll or love potion on a girl and she falls total in love for me
but i can show a girl my tv youtube clip on my or her phone. but there's a difference ok

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #1393 on: April 19, 2012, 08:52:14 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

and no, i don't have to admit that.  did you actually pay attention to the episodes?  there are consistency issues, there are parts you can obviously tell were edited out of context to prove a certain point, the audio is often blown out, half of the HD footage looks horrible and dizzying because they used shitty wide-angle lenses....  joseph unexplainably appears on crutches, then disappears....lurker lou does a switch nosegrind.... the editing is fucking shitty.
Come on dude, the CCS and Mountain Dew product placements were so smooth, I didn't even realize it when they gave them CCS catalogs for no reason at all.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Mat

« Reply #1394 on: April 19, 2012, 09:00:28 AM »
Expand Quote
you're getting exposure, free gear, meeting pros, obviously getting footage if that john kid can make a 2 min part in only six days.

[close]

it was nothing like last year, though. everything sucked in comparison. even if there were no previous oiams to compare it to you would still see how fucking lame this was. i'll give you an example, meeting a pro last year was taking a trip to san jose, rocking up at louie barletta's house, and going skating with him. this year eli reed turned up to the indoor skatepark they were staying at and said something along the lines of "i've seen your footage, i'm physced on it" then left. and that's just the tip of the iceberg. everything was bad, open your eyes dude.

the eli reed thing is irrelivant. like i said it was corny, and by the sound of it, every one had a different idea of what was going on. that's great that last year they got to "rock it up" at barletta's house, this year they went out skating around the city with jake johnson and cardiel. I'll take cards over barletta any day. the point im making is that i doubt it was as torturous as people say, and they still benefit from it

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #1395 on: April 19, 2012, 09:23:24 AM »
Who gives a shit how hard it was or how much they could have benefitted? The show was fucking terrible and I'm glad the kids intervened. Its not like any of us were fine with the show and when this came up we said "Actually, maybe some of those challenges weren't that cool." Everybody hated it from the beginning. If we thought it was god awful, imagine how terrible it would feel to be part of it.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

boyan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 70
« Reply #1396 on: April 19, 2012, 09:33:25 AM »
I guess this is what happens when Whiteley isn't involved anymore

Hatechild

« Reply #1397 on: April 19, 2012, 10:30:03 AM »

Welcome to slap Mr. Klein.

steve

• Rep: 45
« Reply #1398 on: April 19, 2012, 12:30:34 PM »
I guess this is what happens when Whiteley isn't involved anymore

and everyone was posting shit about his supposed attempts to cash in on SLAP and turn OIAM into reality TV... guess again fucksticks

Thrillho

« Reply #1399 on: April 19, 2012, 01:36:34 PM »
...through the efforts of a misguided fool.

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 607
    • Community Push avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1400 on: April 19, 2012, 02:01:54 PM »

Last year's season was a reality show too and it turned out great.

dude

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #1401 on: April 19, 2012, 02:55:30 PM »
HERE'S THE BIG FUCKING DIFFERENCE: Last year's OIAM was not a challenged based competition, it was a footage based competition. As a result, we got to see intense street skateboarding like Clipper getting amazing tricks done down it amongst other rad shit. And if you weren't producing footage, you had cool ass dudes like Joe Brooke, Whiteley, and Camarillo sit you down and give you an encouraging pep talk, like "we know you're capable of more, let's see it!". In this year's OIAM, you had three complete fuckwads (all my respect for those dudes, right out the fucking door) breaking your boards, telling you that you suck at designing graphics, that half of skateboarding is being able to market yourself, the list goes. If this was a purely footage-based competition, I really don't think anyone would have had a problem with the cameras.

That being said, I'm glad as fuck that all the dudes mutinied against this shitty "show".

And as for calling the last episode "The Crew Falls Apart", that's pretty disingenuous to what really happens. That title infers that the crew got sick of each other and couldn't stand one another anymore. That obviously wasn't case the case. They were just sick of, as Jon plainly stated, being "puppets" for the judges. That episode should have been called "The Crew Finally Realizes What a Completely Waste Of Their Time This Is".
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 03:02:01 PM by dude »

via

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 239
« Reply #1402 on: April 19, 2012, 04:59:17 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Welcome to slap Mr. Klein.

I don't know how to do screenshots, or whatever, but this dude

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=670863992

posted this

"I have to commend Alex. I was one of the original founders of this event (with Whitley and Tony V.) I was the one that originally stepped it up from being just a video submission contest to an actual fly some dudes out and putting them on the road. The premise was could they pull it as an actual pro? Which has to do with a lot more then just skating. Although it got derailed and lost it's way you still gotta give credit for trying something new and not just letting it ride."

to Chris Nieratkos facebook page after he posted a link to his ESPN article.

hmm..
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 05:04:44 PM by via »

trannies and mannies

« Reply #1403 on: April 19, 2012, 05:17:28 PM »
Lurker Lou: "it seemed like all they wanted to do was skate"..........next episode "they should have just shut up and skated".

i used to skate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -27
« Reply #1404 on: April 19, 2012, 07:28:54 PM »
After seeing how Jamie Thomas acted at the Washington DC Zero demo in 2010, I'm not surprised he feels this way. Talk about a dude out of touch with reality, and I grew up a MASSIVE Thomas fan.

go on..

Maxell Oneal

• Rep: -1

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 386
« Reply #1406 on: April 19, 2012, 11:31:57 PM »
http://espn.go.com/action/skateboarding/blog/_/post/7828754/none-million
Ha

OMG! I had no idea that Nieratko wrote an article about OIAM! I wonder if it would stay on the front page of SLAP for longer than a day or reach more than one page of discussion? Well, it's a good thing you mentioned it in here.

(http://www.slapmagazine.com/component/option,com_jfusion/Itemid,4/index.php?topic=61488.0)

Shamalamalon

« Reply #1407 on: April 19, 2012, 11:39:30 PM »

"You are out, at this point your out"

[URL=http://s109.

via

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 239
« Reply #1408 on: April 19, 2012, 11:48:55 PM »
WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT??

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
« Reply #1409 on: April 20, 2012, 05:12:44 AM »
that was wack as fuck. they could have saved it by using mandibles edit for the final episodes and reverting the format but instead went out like a bunch of bitches because alex's ego was too big to admidt that he was a sell out faggot.

thank god they didn't dupe cards into this final episode of shit.

it's also extremely lame how the producers pushed the whole premise that "having to do slightly lame things things as a pro" like skating a shitty park in a demo or doing an autograph signing in a mall shop somehow justify's the bait and switch they pulled on these kids. jamie fuck this show, you know you need to come correct and hook someone up here. there's nothing about acting like a bitch on tv that is going make for a more marketable pro. you know why guys like heath and natas are legends and it's because they never put up with that kind of bs. it goes against everything that every skate rat, lifer type loves about skating.

seriously fuck alex klien and his dyrdek fantasys. he sold out slap, all the people involed in the show, the kids and all the people who've been involved in this contest in the past and justify's it as a bottom line issue. hasn't skating always been about making it work for a smaller audience using a diy, never sell out approach? what a fucking kook and embarassment this guy is. get bus tickets and film it homie style, you know, think like a skater you asshole...