Author Topic: Tell Us About Your Last Skate Session  (Read 65024 times)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 135
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
Re: Tell Us About Your Last Skate Session
« Reply #1410 on: June 12, 2023, 11:29:14 PM »
My son learnt proper frontside power slides and slappy noseslides, only a matter of weeks before he overtakes me and I couldn’t be happier

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

mfweeno

• Rep: 29
« Reply #1411 on: June 13, 2023, 06:30:46 AM »
I skated from 7am to 8am today, never got out so early. It was cool tho, the air still fresh. Might do that again.
Early morning is hands down my favorite time to go skate. Weather is cool, typically the park/spot is less crowded, and personally I find that skating before I start anything else for the day puts me in the right mindset.

How did you do that? Did you ate breakfast or just went straight outta bed to the spot? That is rad dude.

Just thought I'd share my two cents - I have been practicing some form of intermittent fasting for the last 10 years or so, so I am fairly comfortable hopping out of bed, having a quick cup of coffee, then going straight into my session. I typically don't like skating with food in my stomach, but I've done a smoothie or banana pre-sesh without too much digestive turbulence.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #1412 on: June 13, 2023, 09:39:49 AM »
Not a great session. Haven’t skated in 10 days, came back and I can barely ollie. Took like 20 attempts to land a decent one.

Wondering if I should even bother with tricks to be honest. I just started last year and my body can only tolerate like three hours of skating a week. So it seems like every time I take a little break I have to spend a session relearning stuff.

You’ll see a lot of YouTubers be like, “Oh this trick is easy.” None of them are, especially if you’re starting as an adult and can’t skate daily 😖

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 697
« Reply #1413 on: June 13, 2023, 10:34:55 AM »
Expand Quote
I skated from 7am to 8am today, never got out so early. It was cool tho, the air still fresh. Might do that again.
[close]
Early morning is hands down my favorite time to go skate. Weather is cool, typically the park/spot is less crowded, and personally I find that skating before I start anything else for the day puts me in the right mindset.

Expand Quote

How did you do that? Did you ate breakfast or just went straight outta bed to the spot? That is rad dude.
[close]

Just thought I'd share my two cents - I have been practicing some form of intermittent fasting for the last 10 years or so, so I am fairly comfortable hopping out of bed, having a quick cup of coffee, then going straight into my session. I typically don't like skating with food in my stomach, but I've done a smoothie or banana pre-sesh without too much digestive turbulence.

@fs1/2cab  sorry I didn't see your comment but basically what @mfweeno said. I am on intermittent fasting as well and I don't like skating on a full stomach so it was out of bed, skate, shower, go to work. Might do it again tomorrow.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #1414 on: June 13, 2023, 12:12:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

@fs1/2cab  sorry I didn't see your comment but basically what @mfweeno said. I am on intermittent fasting as well and I don't like skating on a full stomach so it was out of bed, skate, shower, go to work. Might do it again tomorrow.

Thanks for the response you two. I will try that too soon. But not before work, that's crazy. But hats off to you.
IG: @flowterspace

Arto!Arto!WakeUp!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 185
« Reply #1415 on: June 13, 2023, 01:29:49 PM »
mine ended with a dude who runs the jerk chicken place near my flat loudly calling on jesus to drive disease out of my daughter's body. which wasn't what i was expecting.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1416 on: June 13, 2023, 01:31:30 PM »
mine ended with a dude who runs the jerk chicken place near my flat loudly calling on jesus to drive disease out of my daughter's body. which wasn't what i was expecting.
I feel bad for laughing at this 😭

Starjump18

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1417 on: June 13, 2023, 01:32:06 PM »
49 years old last week, first skate session since I'm trying to learn fs bluntslides on a small quarter. Hard to come back in and until it slides I don't know if it's to fakie, backside in or some feel like a bigspin will work, I made a shitty one back in backside that went to a horrible backside smith but it told me that... It's on... Next session next week.

Arto!Arto!WakeUp!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1418 on: June 13, 2023, 02:22:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

it was a trip.

she has a visible disability and he just came up out of the blue and asked if i wanted him to pray for her.

i was just pushing her back in the stroller from a flat ground session where she'd been napping/cheerleading for me. i'd gotten the trick i was after literally a few moments before, so i was in an ultra-accepting mood. i was like 'yeah sure, thanks, appreciate the kind gesture' thinking he meant it in a 'i'll keep her in my prayers way'.

that wasn't how he meant it at all.

he started praying out loud and i just had to stand there and wait. every time i thought it was almost over, he kicked up another gear until he was full on bellowing at the heavens.

it was still kind of moving though, in a slightly disturbing way.

we went our separate ways and then when i got back to my street he was there opening up the shop and it was like - oh shit i live right next to you...

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1419 on: June 13, 2023, 02:41:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

it was a trip.

she has a visible disability and he just came up out of the blue and asked if i wanted him to pray for her.

i was just pushing her back in the stroller from a flat ground session where she'd been napping/cheerleading for me. i'd gotten the trick i was after literally a few moments before, so i was in an ultra-accepting mood. i was like 'yeah sure, thanks, appreciate the kind gesture' thinking he meant it in a 'i'll keep her in my prayers way'.

that wasn't how he meant it at all.

he started praying out loud and i just had to stand there and wait. every time i thought it was almost over, he kicked up another gear until he was full on bellowing at the heavens.

it was still kind of moving though, in a slightly disturbing way.

we went our separate ways and then when i got back to my street he was there opening up the shop and it was like - oh shit i live right next to you...
Oh no, that’s sounds awful. What a kook. Glad you landed your trick though as your daughter cheered. I’m sure that was nice 😊

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -198
« Reply #1420 on: June 13, 2023, 07:46:01 PM »
Pumped the mini 10 minutes did one 5050 on a ledge then left.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1421 on: June 13, 2023, 11:28:30 PM »
Got my 7am session and twisted my ankle badly. I have been just recovering from a bruised front foot ankle (which is still hurting) and now the back foot is twisted as well. I guess this was the last session in a while which truly bums me out. I guess I'll order a bearing press to console myself and chuck out those shitty Quantums that jam up after every session. Keep busy, you know? :-)
why come?

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #1422 on: June 14, 2023, 03:17:56 AM »
Got my 7am session and twisted my ankle badly. I have been just recovering from a bruised front foot ankle (which is still hurting) and now the back foot is twisted as well. I guess this was the last session in a while which truly bums me out. I guess I'll order a bearing press to console myself and chuck out those shitty Quantums that jam up after every session. Keep busy, you know? :-)

That sucks, heal up soon mate....ankles are the worst, usually do mine a couple times a year.

5 days after absolutely nailing myself and splitting my chin open, I had a chill session lastnight at the local...was having a hard time with some of my go-to bank flip tricks, then ended up slipping out on a BS flip on the bank. Straight down on my arse and wrists, now my neck is complaining even more than it was after the big slam last week...did at least land one a couple tries later, then called it a day.

I hate taking time off the board, but really going to force myself to take 3 days, slams on slams just make it all worse...hard to do at the moment as the weather in the UK is skate-perfect.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 03:32:11 AM by Skatebeard »

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1423 on: June 14, 2023, 04:45:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That sucks, heal up soon mate....ankles are the worst, usually do mine a couple times a year.

5 days after absolutely nailing myself and splitting my chin open, I had a chill session lastnight at the local...was having a hard time with some of my go-to bank flip tricks, then ended up slipping out on a BS flip on the bank. Straight down on my arse and wrists, now my neck is complaining even more than it was after the big slam last week...did at least land one a couple tries later, then called it a day.

I hate taking time off the board, but really going to force myself to take 3 days, slams on slams just make it all worse...hard to do at the moment as the weather in the UK is skate-perfect.

Cheers, same here, perfect weather. Cruel not to be able to get the most of it.
why come?

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #1424 on: June 14, 2023, 05:22:03 AM »
Well, I failed at that pretty fast... dug around in the skate box before my lunch break and set up an egg cruiser on some old 90a mini logos. Skated out to get some lunch and did some surfy laps around the park.

Did behave though, all 4 wheels didn't leave the ground. I don't do much cruising about, should do more, it's kind of fun in a different way to skating street and flatground.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #1425 on: June 14, 2023, 08:48:39 AM »
I’m 30lbs heavier than I was in my glory days, and my legs have forgotten how to pop.. but I felt better on the board yesterday than I have in quite awhile.  If I can keep skating my box in the church parking lot without getting kicked out, I might actually get somewhere with it.

mfweeno

• Rep: 29
« Reply #1426 on: June 14, 2023, 12:26:47 PM »
Sorry to hear it man - heal up!

I got to the park at a quarter to 8 this morning. I'm still in this weird groove with manuals for some reason, so I warmed up on the pad and started messing with kickflip manuals. I used to have kickflip manuals fairly consistent at my adolescent skate-rat peak, but have lost them over time.

Ended up landing/filming 3 makes, the last of which was my favorite. Felt really nice to get those back.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1427 on: June 14, 2023, 12:55:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Sorry to hear it man - heal up!

I got to the park at a quarter to 8 this morning. I'm still in this weird groove with manuals for some reason, so I warmed up on the pad and started messing with kickflip manuals. I used to have kickflip manuals fairly consistent at my adolescent skate-rat peak, but have lost them over time.

Ended up landing/filming 3 makes, the last of which was my favorite. Felt really nice to get those back.

Cheers bruh, kickflip mannies must be cool. One of my best tricks back in the day was a kickflip to 50/50 but old me hasn‘t manned up to try one yet.
why come?

Dong Hanglo

• Rep: 34
« Reply #1428 on: June 14, 2023, 02:32:36 PM »
Skated a park for an hour but my allergies were so distracting that I had to call it. Couldn’t breathe out of my nose and my eyes were burning. My head felt so disgusting that I couldn’t get into the sesh. Hopeful that today will be better.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1429 on: June 15, 2023, 04:32:25 AM »
When y’all are trying a new trick, do y’all drill it over and over, or try a few times then move on?

I ask cause I tried a trick 40 times and now I’m really sore, thinking it might be best to do 10 attempts and move on. Because it didn’t feel like I was coming any closer to landing it, just hurting myself.

Arto!Arto!WakeUp!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1430 on: June 15, 2023, 05:19:42 AM »
When y’all are trying a new trick, do y’all drill it over and over, or try a few times then move on?

I ask cause I tried a trick 40 times and now I’m really sore, thinking it might be best to do 10 attempts and move on. Because it didn’t feel like I was coming any closer to landing it, just hurting myself.

if it's something i know i can do, i'll go up to 40 or 50 attempts (like 20-25 minutes of tries).

if it's totally new, and i don't feel i''m getting anywhere, i won't drill it. i'll leave it and come back to it when i feel i've had some moment of insight that'll get me closer - like seeing someone else do it a particular way, or fucking up a different trick in a way that teaches me something about that one.

Pastasash

• Rep: 75
« Reply #1431 on: June 15, 2023, 08:43:47 AM »
Almost a year since my injury, and finally getting my hard tricks back. Landed three fakie tres on flat yesterday, most I've ever done in a sesh, and getting closer to getting regular tres again. Also got a solid back tail on a decent sized ledge, landed a couple of real good fs flips, and getting better at holding 50s and 5-0s across the long QPs.  ;D

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 796
« Reply #1432 on: June 15, 2023, 08:47:31 AM »
110 heat index.  some old friends showed up and made it worthwhile. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #1433 on: June 15, 2023, 12:12:19 PM »

Depends on the spot and the trick. On flatground and mellow spots it's not uncommon for me to go for 100+ tries in a single session if it's something I've landed before or if I'm close. From a strict performance perspective that's not really optional, but it's like meditating to me. I clear my mind of all the stuff that's bugging me and just lose myself in the process.

When it comes to learning completely new stuff, I usually throw in random tries here and there first and then move on to 10-20 tries per session, though not every session. Once I'm starting to get close, see above.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1434 on: June 15, 2023, 12:21:51 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Depends on the spot and the trick. On flatground and mellow spots it's not uncommon for me to go for 100+ tries in a single session if it's something I've landed before or if I'm close. From a strict performance perspective that's not really optional, but it's like meditating to me. I clear my mind of all the stuff that's bugging me and just lose myself in the process.

When it comes to learning completely new stuff, I usually throw in random tries here and there first and then move on to 10-20 tries per session, though not every session. Once I'm starting to get close, see above.
Thanks for the replies, y’all. 100 tries would probably have me limping for a week lol. I think I’ll stick to 10 for now. I tend to get laser focused and don’t want to stop until I land clean. I always want to end on a make, but that leads to lots of abuse on my knees 😖

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 215
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #1435 on: June 15, 2023, 12:28:56 PM »
Got absolutely bodied yesterday.

I was on the way out of town to pick a friend up, and stopped at this park in the next town out.

It's all pre-fab on a blacktop, but the surface of the ramps is that weird hard rubber/plastic sheeting. The ramps aren't too bad but the difference of terrain between the flat and the ramps is very distinct and a bit jarring.

It took me a bit to accustomed to the distinction, but got warmed up easy enough. I started feeling comfortable and kinda went auto-pilot mode.

I put too much trust/nonchalance in myself and completely hung up on a roll-in. 100%. I watched my speed get killed and my back wheels stick on the coping on the deck. My feet stay behind and I drop like a sack of rocks straight onto my side, sandwiching my elbow straight into my ribs and forcing the wind out of my lungs.

Today feels like I got smacked with a baseball bat in the chest.

Luckily, it was the biggest QP at the park so that's gnarly maybe 5 foot tall.....

Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #1436 on: June 15, 2023, 05:59:32 PM »
Drove 20 minutes through traffic across town to see the parking lot closed up in a high traffic area with no parking anywhere around.

Drove another 30 minutes in traffic to find the other skatepark absolutely packed with people just loitering the whole place.

Said fuck it I'll skate the plaza downtown, paid 5 bucks to park, skated 30 seconds and said fuck this and went home. The rage just built up, felt off on the board, wind was insane, took everything in me to not focus my board.

Solid sesh

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -619
« Reply #1437 on: June 15, 2023, 06:05:22 PM »
Got absolutely bodied yesterday.

I was on the way out of town to pick a friend up, and stopped at this park in the next town out.

It's all pre-fab on a blacktop, but the surface of the ramps is that weird hard rubber/plastic sheeting. The ramps aren't too bad but the difference of terrain between the flat and the ramps is very distinct and a bit jarring.

It took me a bit to accustomed to the distinction, but got warmed up easy enough. I started feeling comfortable and kinda went auto-pilot mode.

I put too much trust/nonchalance in myself and completely hung up on a roll-in. 100%. I watched my speed get killed and my back wheels stick on the coping on the deck. My feet stay behind and I drop like a sack of rocks straight onto my side, sandwiching my elbow straight into my ribs and forcing the wind out of my lungs.

Today feels like I got smacked with a baseball bat in the chest.

Luckily, it was the biggest QP at the park so that's gnarly maybe 5 foot tall.....

Aw man, hanging up on any quarter pipe sucks but 5ft is a long way to fall like that. Worst feeling ever when it happens that quickly and you can't catch yourself or anything.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #1438 on: June 15, 2023, 06:19:49 PM »
I think I need to start up some solid workout routine to get in shape for skating, every time I step on a board after 2 weeks off, i'm relearning ollies.  Gettin' old is garbage.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1439 on: June 16, 2023, 03:18:16 AM »
I think I need to start up some solid workout routine to get in shape for skating, every time I step on a board after 2 weeks off, i'm relearning ollies.  Gettin' old is garbage.
I feel it. I’ve decided to only skate once a week for maintenance and forget about progression for now. Gotta lose at least 20lbs. Being old, tall, and heavy is a bad combo.