Author Topic: Oskis New Truck Brand  (Read 140615 times)

Eggie Vedder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 32
Re: Oskis New Truck Brand
« Reply #540 on: November 15, 2021, 11:32:25 AM »
Expand Quote

The Lurpivs have landed on the east coast
[close]

Still no tracking, hoping they just show up

If you have used the “Shop” app it will just find any package addressed to you and show you the tracking. It says mine are expected to deliver tomorrow in New York but also says they just arrived to Germany so I find this ETA unlikely.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 712
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #541 on: November 15, 2021, 11:58:42 AM »
Had about 15 minutes of dry time in-between the rain storms and went out in front of my house just to cruise around and get a feel and pop a few ollies on the 139's. Setup on a Theories 8.125" with a 14.25" wheelbase.

My findings during this incredibly small sample time were:

- You can just put them right on, they seem to be torqued to the exact same tightness at the factory. I did my usual one quarter turn tighter on my back truck and was set. I like to ride medium-loose and they felt broken in and right where I like my truck tightness from the beginning. I'll see how or if the bushings change after time. I'm neurotic about my truck tightness being equal before I make my adjustments and it seems Lurpiv did it for me!

- There was no "new pivot/bushings squeak" at all, they were completely silent during my incessant carving of figure 8's. If they stay quiet these will be the first trucks I haven't had to put Riptide's in for as long as I can remember. The turns felt smooth from the beginning. There's no play either, the hangar fits snug into the pivot. Tighter turning than Indy, about the same as Ace but no squirrely feeling at all. It seems like they made a truck that turns as well as Ace but has the stability of Indy. I'm coming from Thunders so it felt very different but all in a good way. I do have some Indy's and Ace AF1's I've ridden recently so I feel I can compare the initial feeling pretty accurately. I got zero wheelbite. I really leaned into my turns and couldn't get my 54mm wheels to hit. The wheelbite marks you see on the deck are from some Ace AF1's which I did not like at all and the board just sat all summer. The hangar near the pivot area didn't ever make contact metal on metal either during my deep turns.

- Ollies were stable (even skating soft wheels) but I need more time to re-adjust my timing slightly from Thunder. Everyone guessing it's somewhere in-between Indy and Ace seems to be right on.

- Regarding installation, I barely got the 1" Thunder hardware bolts to sneak a bit past the nylock of the nut, it was close so if you're using risers 1/8" like I am I'd go with 1 1/8" hardware. Also, the axle nuts are a bit wider than the usual so if you're using a skate tool with a shallow recess like the Bronson or new Indy one you may have a slightly hard time fitting it on perfectly while tightening them. The nylock on the axle nuts is great. Everything about these trucks screams quality so far.

I can't tell if I'm gonna love them but I can usually tell if I'm going to hate trucks right away and so far I really like how these felt. I'm waiting on an 8.5" deck to try out the 149's. I don't usually ride anything that wide.

Sorry I can't report more for now. These are just my initial impressions. Hopefully I'll get more time on them soon. I'm really excited about these trucks! Oh and quality soft goods as well. The t-shirt I ordered reminded me of pre-China Polar quality when they had their stuff made in Portugal.

Hope this helps out a bit if you're on the fence.

Polar t-shirts are still made in Portugal, along with most of their other clothes. Pants and some other accessories are made in Poland… Just the more sporty stuff like windbreakers and puffers are made in China, but that’s normal. Pontus is all about the *qualitat*

I’m really curious about this trucks tho. They look super good, super well finished and thought through.  Only thing throwing me off is how tall they are at 55mm. The tallest I ever rode was Indy forged hollows at 53.5mm. As a mostly street skater I like a more responsive snap (I just got venture v-hollows at 52mm hight) so I’m not super sure yet on pulling the trigger. Hopefully I start seeing some reviews that will help me make up my mind.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276
« Reply #542 on: November 15, 2021, 08:36:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

If you have used the “Shop” app it will just find any package addressed to you and show you the tracking. It says mine are expected to deliver tomorrow in New York but also says they just arrived to Germany so I find this ETA unlikely.

i like to use the Aftership app to track my packages. they show you the map location of where it's at.

owlienist

« Reply #543 on: November 15, 2021, 09:02:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Had about 15 minutes of dry time in-between the rain storms and went out in front of my house just to cruise around and get a feel and pop a few ollies on the 139's. Setup on a Theories 8.125" with a 14.25" wheelbase.

- You can just put them right on, they seem to be torqued to the exact same tightness at the factory. I did my usual one quarter turn tighter on my back truck and was set. I like to ride medium-loose and they felt broken in and right where I like my truck tightness from the beginning. I'll see how or if the bushings change after time. I'm neurotic about my truck tightness being equal before I make my adjustments and it seems Lurpiv did it for me!

- There was no "new pivot/bushings squeak" at all, they were completely silent during my incessant carving of figure 8's. If they stay quiet these will be the first trucks I haven't had to put Riptide's in for as long as I can remember. The turns felt smooth from the beginning. There's no play either, the hangar fits snug into the pivot. Tighter turning than Indy, about the same as Ace but no squirrely feeling at all. It seems like they made a truck that turns as well as Ace but has the stability of Indy. I'm coming from Thunders so it felt very different but all in a good way. I do have some Indy's and Ace AF1's I've ridden recently so I feel I can compare the initial feeling pretty accurately. I got zero wheelbite. I really leaned into my turns and couldn't get my 54mm wheels to hit. The wheelbite marks you see on the deck are from some Ace AF1's which I did not like at all and the board just sat all summer. The hangar near the pivot area didn't ever make contact metal on metal either during my deep turns.

- Ollies were stable (even skating soft wheels) but I need more time to re-adjust my timing slightly from Thunder. Everyone guessing it's somewhere in-between Indy and Ace seems to be right on.

- Regarding installation, I barely got the 1" Thunder hardware bolts to sneak a bit past the nylock of the nut, it was close so if you're using risers 1/8" like I am I'd go with 1 1/8" hardware. Also, the axle nuts are a bit wider than the usual so if you're using a skate tool with a shallow recess like the Bronson or new Indy one you may have a slightly hard time fitting it on perfectly while tightening them. The nylock on the axle nuts is great. Everything about these trucks screams quality so far.

I can't tell if I'm gonna love them but I can usually tell if I'm going to hate trucks right away and so far I really like how these felt. I'm waiting on an 8.5" deck to try out the 149's. I don't usually ride anything that wide.

Sorry I can't report more for now. These are just my initial impressions. Hopefully I'll get more time on them soon. I'm really excited about these trucks! Oh and quality soft goods as well. The t-shirt I ordered reminded me of pre-China Polar quality when they had their stuff made in Portugal.

[close]

Polar t-shirts are still made in Portugal, along with most of their other clothes. Pants and some other accessories are made in Poland… Just the more sporty stuff like windbreakers and puffers are made in China, but that’s normal. Pontus is all about the *qualitat*

I’m really curious about this trucks tho. They look super good, super well finished and thought through.  Only thing throwing me off is how tall they are at 55mm. The tallest I ever rode was Indy forged hollows at 53.5mm. As a mostly street skater I like a more responsive snap (I just got venture v-hollows at 52mm hight) so I’m not super sure yet on pulling the trigger. Hopefully I start seeing some reviews that will help me make up my mind.

Even though on their website every t-shirt says "Made In Portugal" an order I placed within the past six months had 3 of the 4 t-shirts made in China (same price though and they were awful). Two Grey and one White logo shirt, the military green one was the only one made in Portugal. I asked their customer support about this and they said since they (left Theories) opened their distro in LA they've been branching out regarding manufacturing sources but they're "listening". Hopefully that is a short lived practice because as you said, "Pontus is all about the *qualitat*". Now I'm hesitant to order their soft goods or believe their site is accurate which is unfortunate since they're one of the small handful of skate companies who are usually known for quality. The shirts shipped from the US and took a month to get to me which I didn't expect living in Belgium so I don't know if that made a difference either. Usually I get Polar website orders delivered from within the EU and I get it in two days so their stock must have been very low.

Regarding the trucks, with my limited experience they don't feel like tall trucks to me. I always use 1/8" risers but even coming from Thunders w/forged baseplates I don't suddenly feel like I'm riding a monster truck as I did with Ace AF1's. I think they've got a great design here, you just have to experience them. Hopefully they hold up well. I'm not as hard on trucks as I used to be so they'll probably last me an entire year if they're structurally sound. Sorry my quick review didn't help you. Consistent skating weather here has come to an abrupt end so I don't know when I'll be able to provide anymore feedback that's worthwhile. Apologies. 

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #544 on: November 15, 2021, 09:21:30 PM »
Super curious about these. But as someone who skates street and is really used to the pop/response/height/pinch of ventures on 14.25 ish boards, and hasn't skated indy/ace for years, how much will these throw me off?

Someone either convince me that these will change my life, or talk me out of spending a benjamin on trucks so I stick to what I know.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 09:33:27 PM by tzhangdox »

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #545 on: November 15, 2021, 09:46:31 PM »
Pontus is all about the qualitat kvalitet

Trucks are looking good, but as I already have perfectly good setups with Ace 33s and 44s I can’t justify a purchase. Looking out for a wider option in the future ;)
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1015
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #546 on: November 15, 2021, 10:31:03 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Super curious about these. But as someone who skates street and is really used to the pop/response/height/pinch of ventures on 14.25 ish boards, and hasn't skated indy/ace for years, how much will these throw me off?

Someone either convince me that these will change my life, or talk me out of spending a benjamin on trucks so I stick to what I know.

It's too early to tell (not many on here have them) but if you've never skated / preferred 55mm tall Indy Standards, you're probably not the market for these trucks...especially if you are a mid 52mm truck rider....but who knows?

STAH

• Rep: 4
« Reply #547 on: November 15, 2021, 11:40:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

the Shop app does the same thing.
[close]

[close]

i like to use the Aftership app to track my packages. they show you the map location of where it's at.

the shop app does the same thing
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 03:00:11 AM by STAH »

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 712
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #548 on: November 16, 2021, 02:17:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Even though on their website every t-shirt says "Made In Portugal" an order I placed within the past six months had 3 of the 4 t-shirts made in China (same price though and they were awful). Two Grey and one White logo shirt, the military green one was the only one made in Portugal. I asked their customer support about this and they said since they (left Theories) opened their distro in LA they've been branching out regarding manufacturing sources but they're "listening". Hopefully that is a short lived practice because as you said, "Pontus is all about the *qualitat*". Now I'm hesitant to order their soft goods or believe their site is accurate which is unfortunate since they're one of the small handful of skate companies who are usually known for quality. The shirts shipped from the US and took a month to get to me which I didn't expect living in Belgium so I don't know if that made a difference either. Usually I get Polar website orders delivered from within the EU and I get it in two days so their stock must have been very low.

Damn that’s weird. Maybe with Covid they got shortage on the production and had to resort to blanks to fill up the orders… not ideal but sometimes stuff like that happens.  :-\
I actually got a Polar tshirt about 2 months ago and it was made in Portugal…

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #549 on: November 16, 2021, 12:12:34 PM »

[/url]

Bros... i need to know what Spitfire wheels are these. Don't look way wide like conical fulls, the inside looks rounder than a lockin and also the graphic looks different than a lockin. Radials? Lockins anyway?

STAH

« Reply #550 on: November 16, 2021, 12:18:32 PM »
Expand Quote

[/url]
[close]

Bros... i need to know what Spitfire wheels are these. Don't look way wide like conical fulls, the inside looks rounder than a lockin and also the graphic looks different than a lockin. Radials? Lockins anyway?

looks like a radial full

IpathCats

« Reply #551 on: November 16, 2021, 12:21:17 PM »
Expand Quote

[/url]
[close]

They're radials, maybe the new radial fulls. I'm gonna go with radials though, good shape. Used to be my favorite before I realized I could run no risers with 56mm classics.

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #552 on: November 16, 2021, 12:29:01 PM »
Radials look so sick, it's a shame that's another wheel that is difficult to get a hold of.

I'm looking for a bigger wheel to pair with the Lurpiv's. The idea of running 54+ conical fulls seems daunting.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #553 on: November 16, 2021, 01:02:19 PM »
Worn down classics can also look like that.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1037
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #554 on: November 16, 2021, 04:06:23 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Oski had his own Radial (just Radial, before any other name change, etc) in 55 and 57mm with a red graphic, so I would say they are those ones.

If you want to look at some good pics, just google Oski Spitfire Radial and some come up.

Alternatively, these links have good profile pic and semi side / other views as well.

https://www.nativeskatestore.co.uk/skateboards-c7/skateboard-wheels-c8/oski-lair-radials-99d-formula-four-skateboard-wheels-57mm-p42820

https://www.zumiez.com/spitfire-formula-four-oski-lair-radials-57mm-99a-skateboard-wheels.html

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
  • the moon rules
« Reply #555 on: November 16, 2021, 08:13:28 PM »
UPS sent me an email saying my trucks were supposed to show up today, but they’re still in Germany. Hopefully they show up before my thanksgiving break next week
fuck you bama

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #556 on: November 16, 2021, 08:23:25 PM »
UPS sent me an email saying my trucks were supposed to show up today, but they’re still in Germany. Hopefully they show up before my thanksgiving break next week

Interested to hear your opinions.
You still on ace?

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
  • the moon rules
« Reply #557 on: November 16, 2021, 08:37:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Interested to hear your opinions.
You still on ace?
Currently skating Af1 44’s. At first I had a week of ghost popping. Then a while of wobbly back truck while setting up for flip tricks. Once I figured those two issues out I started to like them. My frame of reference is skating 03’s and 33’s after 15 years of only Thunders and occasionally trying a friends board. The turn on my friends Indy’s feels slow. The turn on my friends Ventures feels like I’m still going straight while turning. I’m hoping to get the Lurpivs before my 4 day break so I can test the waters. I have a 2 week Christmas break next month. My plans for both breaks are to skate as much as I physically can. Looking forward to putting them through the test and seeing what I can do to them in that time
fuck you bama

STAH

« Reply #558 on: November 16, 2021, 11:50:11 PM »
I finally got an email from UPS saying that they will show up tomorrow. But just as some of you have mentioned, it looks like they were last in Germany, but have left now and presumably are somewhere between Germany and Vancouver. Curious if they will actually show up tomorrow. If they do show up I will set them up and try to find an underground parking lot somewhere to try them out and report back.

Currently on Indy 149 titanium's. Also running some Thunder 161 hollow light's on an Anti Hero 9" eagle as a cruiser/ hybrid. 

edit* went to Louisville KY, now in Vancouver. I guess it actually is showing up today. sweet.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 12:19:56 PM by STAH »

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1308
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #559 on: November 17, 2021, 02:32:13 PM »
I've put my army of trucks in eyeshot of my computer in my office so I don't order these fuckers. Please grind the shit out of your lurpivs so i can live vicariously through yall.
Welp my strategy didn't work.

ugly flacko

• Rep: 12
« Reply #560 on: November 18, 2021, 02:15:30 AM »
Just received 'em yesterday night and set em up with brand new wheels and bearing on an used board. They really look different than other trucks and it's sick ! The wheel nuts are bigger than the other ones so you have to use the kingpin part of the tool.
I was riding aces and hollow indy 159's and they feel as light as my indies. I didn't have time to try those yet, maybe tonight after work.

IpathCats

« Reply #561 on: November 18, 2021, 06:21:56 AM »
Finally got tracking, last update was at 1am.

"On the Way
We are experiencing transit delays. We will deliver your package as soon as possible.
Koeln, Germany"

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #562 on: November 18, 2021, 06:29:42 AM »

"On the Way
We are experiencing transit delays. We will deliver your package as soon as possible.
Koeln, Germany"

Yeah, mine have been stuck in Cologne for about a week. Shit's extra backed up everywhere now pre-black friday sales are on/normal holiday shipping. A bummer, but soon enough.

IpathCats

« Reply #563 on: November 18, 2021, 07:16:15 AM »
Expand Quote

"On the Way
Koeln, Germany"
[close]

Yeah, mine have been stuck in Cologne for about a week. Shit's extra backed up everywhere now pre-black friday sales are on/normal holiday shipping. A bummer, but soon enough.

Together, in solidarity, we wait for our sweedish skateboard trucks as one.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #564 on: November 18, 2021, 09:59:25 AM »
The wheel nuts are bigger than the other ones so you have to use the kingpin part of the tool.

Woah really? Just the overall diameter, right? Axles are the same/standard size?

Dan Gerous

« Reply #565 on: November 18, 2021, 10:04:26 AM »
Expand Quote
The wheel nuts are bigger than the other ones so you have to use the kingpin part of the tool.

[close]

Woah really? Just the overall diameter, right? Axles are the same/standard size?
Axles have to be the same diameter, otherwise people would need different sized bearings.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #566 on: November 18, 2021, 10:45:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Axles have to be the same diameter, otherwise people would need different sized bearings.

Derp, yeah didn't think that through (pre coffee post).

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #567 on: November 18, 2021, 02:28:48 PM »
Ordered a set

Can't wait to to be the most polar guy at the spot; with my polar board, lurps, some big ass wheels, last resorts, surf pants, and a polar sweater.

STAH

« Reply #568 on: November 18, 2021, 03:17:22 PM »
Ordered a set

Can't wait to to be the most polar guy at the spot; with my polar board, lurps, some big ass wheels, last resorts, surf pants, and a polar sweater.

Swede' up from the feet up!

STAH

« Reply #569 on: November 18, 2021, 11:59:36 PM »
I got a chance to skate them briefly. They felt more like Aces than anything. I would say they are a bit more stable feeling than Ace. Ace trucks sometimes feel like I'm standing on a tightwire rope.... I used to never tighten my trucks when I got new trucks (usually Indys.) I would ride them stock loose until they broke in and adjusted to my weight. I'm a bit heavier these days (200lbs-6'2. 28yrs old) I'm not trying to break in trucks like that anymore, I just want them to work comfortably.
So, I gave them one full turn tighter on each truck.
Now, the first thing I noticed right away is ​the trucks almost seemed to turn independently from one another depending on which part of the board I was leaning on (front truck or back truck.) Rather than me leaning on one side of the board and both trucks turning in unison. It felt like if I landed a little heavy on the front truck, my front truck would dictate the way my board turned, and if I was leaning more to the back, the back truck would dictate how I turned. Imagine a bus turning with its front wheels, and then imagine how it would turn if it could only turn with its back wheels. I really only noticed this the most when I was doing manuals off of about a 3 foot drop, and not landing perfectly in the centre. 

This feeling went away after a 30 minutes of skating around. I definitely had a fair bit of ghost pop for the first 10 minutes. I'm used to skating Indy Titaniums which are 53.5mm tall and I usually ride 51-52mm wheels. I set my Lurpivs up with 54mm Spitfire conical full. I put them on a Polar board I've had on the wall for years, 8.5/14.5. Took a while for me to get used to my tail popped tricks, but for some reason my nollie flips were the best they've ever been. Usually I cant pop my nollie flips very high, but last night I was popping them like they were fakie flips (almost... my fakie flips are pretty high, its my favourite trick, I suck at kickflips for some reason.)

Last thing ill bring up is the pinch. It definitely leaves something to be desired. I'm talking about crooked grinds to be specific. I kept falling off of them, which isn't normal for me, its probably my favourite grind (these days I'm finding them easier on rails, so idk if that makes any difference to you guys) Also I was skating different ledges than I normally do so that might be a factor, plus the fact that I was skating 54mm conical full (so I'm grinding on a slightly different part of the truck.)

There is definitely a coating on these trucks, what ever that rough looking matte metal look is, it grinds off to be regular old shiny aluminum. I kind of wish they just made polished metal trucks, I think it would look better.

Also like previously stated, the axel nuts are slightly larger than a typical skate tool, so you will have to use the kingpin side of your skate tool (don't worry it works fine.) Also the nut has a built in washer, and so does the hangar. These trucks do not come with washers (speed rings) they are built into the truck. That didn't stop me from putting one on the inside of each hangar, just to push my wheels out a little bit further. You can fit 2 washers on each side at most. Otherwise the nylock wont engage and your nut will fall off.

Other than that I don't really know what else to say. They are a really nice feeling truck, it will just take some getting used to if you aren't used to skating Aces. I wasn't able to skate them long enough to give a comprehensive review, and thus not enough time to tell you guys much about the grind feel. I don't think they are as soft of a metal as Aces are though.

ANYWAYS..... I hope this was helpful in someway to any of you. Much love from Vancouver my dudes. Grind safe.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 01:32:27 AM by STAH »