Author Topic: 2021 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 118630 times)

RichardBarkley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -764
Re: 2021 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #390 on: February 12, 2021, 01:16:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
slap circlejerks ventures so hard it makes me not want to try them.
[close]
They snapped on joslin preventing the best 360 flip in history from going down.
[close]

those were Indy not venture
[close]
No he got on Indy after the el toro thing
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=99959.0
[close]

He said they were indy in his latest 9 club
[close]
No he did not.

6:41

Different interview.

But I may be wrong about the 9 club
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Bigwheelbite

• Rep: -162
« Reply #391 on: February 12, 2021, 03:56:15 PM »
Lately, Freeskatemag has been posting better content than Thrasher.

Have been for the whole of 2020 till now

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #392 on: February 12, 2021, 04:58:22 PM »
Wearing my heart on my sleeve, I’ve been looking and learning about empathy and mindfulness.

I’m genuinely saddened by people being assholes, I’ve been one for a longtime and it’s gotten me nowhere I’d rather put my energy towards being a nice person instead.

baaaaaaguette

« Reply #393 on: February 13, 2021, 02:56:42 AM »
Wearing my heart on my sleeve, I’ve been looking and learning about empathy and mindfulness.

I’m genuinely saddened by people being assholes, I’ve been one for a longtime and it’s gotten me nowhere I’d rather put my energy towards being a nice person instead.

being nice feels nice!

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #394 on: February 13, 2021, 04:15:05 AM »

i was talking to my wife about this last nice. she kind of came back at me by saying and being nice is so easy. i had pointed out that i actually find it's hard and this lead to a conversation about how i see being nice as different than not being rude.

not being rude would be going to the butcher and saying please and thanks while being nice would be asking about their day or asking if they've been busy, remembering their name, etc... i've really been putting a lot of effort into being into being nice for a good bit now. it's annoying a fuck when someone is rude when your being nice but i don't let it push me back to into polite waters. rude people are likely having a shittier day, life, etc.. than you are.

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #395 on: February 13, 2021, 04:37:52 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i was talking to my wife about this last nice. she kind of came back at me by saying and being nice is so easy. i had pointed out that i actually find it's hard and this lead to a conversation about how i see being nice as different than not being rude.

not being rude would be going to the butcher and saying please and thanks while being nice would be asking about their day or asking if they've been busy, remembering their name, etc... i've really been putting a lot of effort into being into being nice for a good bit now. it's annoying a fuck when someone is rude when your being nice but i don't let it push me back to into polite waters. rude people are likely having a shittier day, life, etc.. than you are.
Being genuine is a wholesome feeling even if it is a feigned interest of casual conversation. As they say if you see some say something  if someone is having a shitty day a kind word of approval goes a long way, E.G. someone's getting yelled at be a stand up person someone sad a candy bar and a soda to a stranger is a kind gesture.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 503
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #396 on: February 13, 2021, 05:33:14 AM »
I’m trying to remember where I read it but it broke down the difference of being nice vs being kind and used LA & NY as an example. In NY people won’t be nice but they’ll be kind in that if you get in their way they won’t feign pleasantries but if you eat shit on the side walk they’ll look out for you where as LA they’ll apologise for bumping into you but step over you on the sidewalk. A generalisation, but helps illustrate the point that kindness involves empathy and is what we should all aim for.

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
« Reply #397 on: February 13, 2021, 06:00:50 AM »
I’m trying to remember where I read it but it broke down the difference of being nice vs being kind and used LA & NY as an example. In NY people won’t be nice but they’ll be kind in that if you get in their way they won’t feign pleasantries but if you eat shit on the side walk they’ll look out for you where as LA they’ll apologise for bumping into you but step over you on the sidewalk. A generalisation, but helps illustrate the point that kindness involves empathy and is what we should all aim for.

Another way to think about it: East Coasters will take you into their homes (kindness) but will come off as assholes through the whole thing because it's the common culture. West Coasters will wish you well if you're in need (a nicety) but will not do anything substantial, or kind. Obviously an overgeneralization, like you said!

Feeling empathy is understanding and recognizing how someone who suffering might be feeling (west coasters), acts of empathy occur when you do something about it beyond voicing solidarity (east coasters).
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #398 on: February 13, 2021, 07:25:09 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Another way to think about it: East Coasters will take you into their homes (kindness) but will come off as assholes through the whole thing because it's the common culture. West Coasters will wish you well if you're in need (a nicety) but will not do anything substantial, or kind. Obviously an overgeneralization, like you said!

Feeling empathy is understanding and recognizing how someone who suffering might be feeling (west coasters), acts of empathy occur when you do something about it beyond voicing solidarity (east coasters).
Which is what I've been telling my homies out west about
their feelings are sometimes super thin get butthurt easily and handle it passive aggressively. Also they'lll feign interests and use passive word's of encouragement.

Whereas East coast there's a urgency of if you're accepted in their crew you've got an idea they'll understand and offer assistance whenever needed, but beware the ballbusting as plenty will have a good heckling at your expense. also  they've got a thicker skin when it comes to talking about stuff.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #399 on: February 13, 2021, 07:40:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
their feelings are sometimes super thin get butthurt easily and handle it passive aggressively. Also they'lll feign interests and use passive word's of encouragement.

Whereas East coast there's a urgency of if you're accepted in their crew you've got an idea they'll understand and offer assistance whenever needed, but beware the ballbusting as plenty will have a good heckling at your expense. also  they've got a thicker skin when it comes to talking about stuff.

this ^

imagine my surprise when i moved to the bay area as a native philadelphian

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #400 on: February 13, 2021, 08:05:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

this ^

imagine my surprise when i moved to the bay area as a native philadelphian
Lived in Berkeley for a few years and holy shit. Super PC butthurt babies. Was at a protest with my friends around W's reelection 04'

I had a boombox blasting Geto Boys fuck a war and all kinds of people weren't feeling it butttt I kept walking with it. Anyone who got mad or bitching I just walked away and kept it on repeat.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
« Reply #401 on: February 13, 2021, 10:12:43 AM »

We’re a car culture in LA, not a sidewalk culture

DanCorteseFromMTVSports

• Rep: 285
« Reply #402 on: February 13, 2021, 11:25:31 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Another example I learned early was hearing vs. listening. A lot of people hear; not a lot of people listen. One is a physical activity; the other takes mental effort. And one get you a lot further in life than the other.

DanCorteseFromMTVSports

• Rep: 285
« Reply #403 on: February 13, 2021, 11:28:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Shout out to my east coast bretheren. You're all the worst but I love you and got this grab bag of doritos from CVS for you.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 12:34:30 PM by DanCorteseFromMTVSports »

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #404 on: February 13, 2021, 11:50:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Another example I learned early was hearing vs. listening. A lot of people hear; not a lot of people listen. One is a physical activity; the other takes mental effort. And one get you a lot further in life than the other.

So many people are just waiting for their turn to speak during a conversation, and just want to use you as a listening post. I surrounded myself with people that were so self absorbed in their own conversation for so long that I pretty much completely shut down because I never felt like anyone was interested. To this day I only really speak when spoken to and I get anxious if I talk uninterrupted for more than about 20 seconds. I try to be a listener, I feel like I've got worse at it but I at least try and show that I'm taking an interest and not just waiting to talk
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

benboardbreaker

• Rep: 47
« Reply #405 on: February 16, 2021, 01:51:37 PM »
That Natural Koncept is sick as fuck! Choppy for prez!!

and this: women who blindly sit on a toilet without checking to see if the seat is down deserve what happens next.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #406 on: February 16, 2021, 02:36:53 PM »
It’s almost not worth taking up transition skating if you don’t have access to a variety of quality terrain.

There will always be exceptions that disprove this rule but having really good stuff to ride in a variety of sizes makes a huge difference.

BieberStance

• Rep: -18
« Reply #407 on: February 17, 2021, 04:20:15 AM »
It’s almost not worth taking up transition skating if you don’t have access to a variety of quality terrain.

There will always be exceptions that disprove this rule but having really good stuff to ride in a variety of sizes makes a huge difference.

this.
i grew up skating a miniramp a few times a week besides street and park for years. when i was younger. i was quite comfortable in it and did all the basic stuff. like stalls, grinds, desasters.
then i was always wondering why i suck so bad in any other transition than that. i felt like skating transition for the first time alot of times in different parks. or was just barely able to apply my go tos.

just recently over the christmasholidays i was back where i grew up and skated the old mini. and i realised that it has absolutely no coping at all. like there was a metal pipe on it but it was so deep in the ramp and flush with the wood, that it barely existed. and i finally realised that the coping was what fucked up all my tricks. or better said: i learned everything wrong because of the lack of coping.

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #408 on: February 17, 2021, 06:43:20 AM »
I used to aspire to be PJ Ladd good. Now I just wanna be Andrew Allen good.

primo

« Reply #409 on: February 17, 2021, 07:22:49 AM »
Kids look dumb when they cross their arms as they bend before doing a trick. It’s xerox steez and it’s boring.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #410 on: February 17, 2021, 09:43:45 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

this.
i grew up skating a miniramp a few times a week besides street and park for years. when i was younger. i was quite comfortable in it and did all the basic stuff. like stalls, grinds, desasters.
then i was always wondering why i suck so bad in any other transition than that. i felt like skating transition for the first time alot of times in different parks. or was just barely able to apply my go tos.

just recently over the christmasholidays i was back where i grew up and skated the old mini. and i realised that it has absolutely no coping at all. like there was a metal pipe on it but it was so deep in the ramp and flush with the wood, that it barely existed. and i finally realised that the coping was what fucked up all my tricks. or better said: i learned everything wrong because of the lack of coping.

I built a mini like that when I was 13 and cheated on all my fakie and disaster tricks. I didn’t learn to properly lift my trucks until I was 22.

Every older transition skater I know that’s above a certain skill level was a local at the one indoor park in the state (that I could only afford to visit twice in my youth)/was a closet vert grom.

ballintoohard

« Reply #411 on: February 17, 2021, 09:54:04 AM »
Thunders look the best

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #412 on: February 17, 2021, 10:24:13 AM »
80% of street plaza style skateparks suck dog dick
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

anti-bolts

• Rep: -2
  • andy shitcock
« Reply #413 on: February 17, 2021, 11:14:30 AM »
Expand Quote
nothing to do w/ 2021 but my evergreen unpopular opinions:

the frank black tune in koston's YR part is great and worked well

pressure flips look better than inward heels
[close]

Couldn’t agree more, fuck inward heels they’re way too difficult for how shitty they look

nollie inward heels on the other hand..

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #414 on: February 17, 2021, 01:47:14 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

being nice feels nice!

Logic

• Rep: 35
« Reply #415 on: February 17, 2021, 05:34:20 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

this.

Even if you do have a park with good transition, coping varies from park to park and tricks you would normally be good at can feel completely alien at others depending on the steepness of the ramp and how big the coping is plus how much it sticks out. Ah and then you get the newer sort of skateparks that have the marble like finish with coping that feels constantly waxed, which can be like skating on ice if you don’t have a set of soft wheels.

horny

• Rep: -28
  • Member of Simps Losers And Pussies
« Reply #416 on: February 17, 2021, 06:27:20 PM »
A lot of female pros are overrated.
I'm going to fuck every single person on earth some day

anti-bolts

• Rep: -2
  • andy shitcock
« Reply #417 on: February 18, 2021, 01:05:00 PM »

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
« Reply #418 on: February 18, 2021, 01:44:00 PM »

Are there that many?   Vast majority are am or flow.  Lizzie, Norah, Samarria all deserve it.  Even Il Bufoni

georgethecat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
« Reply #419 on: February 18, 2021, 02:17:12 PM »

Just when you thought the takes couldn't get any hotter! Anyway, I'm sorry your mom went for a pack of smokes and never came back, or dresses like Tom Penny, or both, or whatever the real issue is here for you.