Author Topic: 2021 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 118632 times)

JANUS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
Re: 2021 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #420 on: February 18, 2021, 02:21:02 PM »
Expand Quote
A lot of female pros are overrated.
[close]

Are there that many?   Vast majority are am or flow.  Lizzie, Norah, Samarria all deserve it.  Even Il Bufoni

Alexis Sablone and Elissa Steamer are dope, too.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #421 on: February 18, 2021, 02:23:26 PM »
Mike Davis (R.I.P.) was way hotter than Austyn Gillette could ever be.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -198
« Reply #422 on: February 18, 2021, 02:29:10 PM »

just gotta think of it like the WNBA and NBA

quesly

• Rep: 14
« Reply #423 on: February 18, 2021, 02:40:42 PM »
there's a reason why so many girls were down for the make out challenge on KOTR

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -764
« Reply #424 on: February 18, 2021, 03:01:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Are there that many?   Vast majority are am or flow.  Lizzie, Norah, Samarria all deserve it.  Even Il Bufoni
[close]

Sablone and Steamer are the best by a country mile.

Steamer is / was the best but Sablone coming in hard.

I will say some female pros/ams aren't up to much. I really don't get Breanna.

I know Bufoni is good technically but she is dirt to me the same way Nyjah or any bro skater is.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

topfrog10

• Rep: 6
« Reply #425 on: February 18, 2021, 03:22:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I am not taking sides in this argument but I am really curious on WHY there tends to be a difference between men and women pro skating, in terms of style and what the tricks look like.
My (not-extremely-researched) hypothesis would be that women tend to start skating at a later age and are likely sponsored quicker which would lead them to generally have less developed style when they reach the point of being sponsored. This would differ to lots of male pro skaters who started skating at an earlier age and had a much higher threshold before sponsorship was an option because of the amount of males skating. Something that leads me to think this may be the reasoning behind this is Alexis Sablone's style which could be categorized as much more "masculine". She started skating seriously before the age of 12, and is now 34 which puts her with at least 22 years of experience. This could be an explanation, or it could simply be that she is a talented, unique skater and my argument could be completely offbase which I am happy to except.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
« Reply #426 on: February 18, 2021, 03:29:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

For sure.  Wasn’t trying to name all the awesome, deserving female pros, but obviously these two top the charts

Reed Richards

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #427 on: February 18, 2021, 03:44:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Best way to think about it.  Samarria rips though, and keeps getting better.

pinkbananastatus

• Rep: 10
« Reply #428 on: February 18, 2021, 03:47:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I am not taking sides in this argument but I am really curious on WHY there tends to be a difference between men and women pro skating, in terms of style and what the tricks look like.
My (not-extremely-researched) hypothesis would be that women tend to start skating at a later age and are likely sponsored quicker which would lead them to generally have less developed style when they reach the point of being sponsored. This would differ to lots of male pro skaters who started skating at an earlier age and had a much higher threshold before sponsorship was an option because of the amount of males skating. Something that leads me to think this may be the reasoning behind this is Alexis Sablone's style which could be categorized as much more "masculine". She started skating seriously before the age of 12, and is now 34 which puts her with at least 22 years of experience. This could be an explanation, or it could simply be that she is a talented, unique skater and my argument could be completely offbase which I am happy to except.

This is an interesting take regarding how women are socialized into skating. I’ve always thought it’s more to do with the differences in body type. Men have smaller hips that probably make it easier to balance within the 14 inches between the wheels. Women have wider hips that can make it harder to balance, and also might contribute to how their legs kick out to flick.

Idk, I’m a man, but that’s always been my assumption behind it.
I don't really understand what's going on and I haven't read this thread yet, but I can tell I'm angry.

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #429 on: February 18, 2021, 04:10:10 PM »
When I watched the recent Cons video where Alexis slams on kickflipping a gap, I thought “she is one of us.” She also has the best flick.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 726
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #430 on: February 18, 2021, 04:29:39 PM »
I've always found that a good heuristic for whose skateboarding deserves sponsorship is if you saw them skating in real life would they catch your attention? Would you stop and watch? Do they make you stoked? To bring in the aspect of sponsored female skateboarders I'd say most of them do interesting skateboarding that I would love to watch in real life. If I saw a girl doing anything sufficiently stylish or advanced to the point that they're special, I would be watching. If you can't see that Breana, a girl that kick flip manual impossible out with authority, is special, then you're lost.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

elbarto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 33
« Reply #431 on: February 18, 2021, 04:48:07 PM »

Lmao solid opinion Mike was the fucking best dude. Jawline could cut diamonds lol
“I’ll whoop your ass with my arm out of socket”

veritas

« Reply #432 on: February 18, 2021, 06:46:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Just when you thought the takes couldn't get any hotter! Anyway, I'm sorry your mom went for a pack of smokes and never came back, or dresses like Tom Penny, or both, or whatever the real issue is here for you.

Moms who dress like Tom Penny is a topic worthy of its own thread

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #433 on: February 18, 2021, 07:15:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Sablone and Steamer are the best by a country mile.

Steamer is / was the best but Sablone coming in hard.

I will say some female pros/ams aren't up to much. I really don't get Breanna.

I know Bufoni is good technically but she is dirt to me the same way Nyjah or any bro skater is.
I know for myself I enjoy watching ladies skating
boobs and asses are pleasing as opposed to dude's that's just me though,  I mean let's face it skating is kinda homoerotic in a figurative sense we obsess over who's got this like school girl's who has got a crush.

For me I think gal's are just as talented with skill maybe not as fluid but equally on our level. Just like anything else in skating and marketable just have the right niche. Look at Marissa del Santo she's just as good as Elissa and Alexis.

Brguy

« Reply #434 on: February 18, 2021, 09:26:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
slap circlejerks ventures so hard it makes me not want to try them.
[close]

Slap circlejerks a lot of things and has this same effect on me.
[close]
-claiming they prefer relatable footage as opposed to mind blowing shit.
The problem is that no one realizes that super flowing line with simple-ish tricks is not relatable at all when you take into account speed and style.

QixHexagon

• Rep: 29
« Reply #435 on: February 19, 2021, 02:30:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

This is an interesting take regarding how women are socialized into skating. I’ve always thought it’s more to do with the differences in body type. Men have smaller hips that probably make it easier to balance within the 14 inches between the wheels. Women have wider hips that can make it harder to balance, and also might contribute to how their legs kick out to flick.

Idk, I’m a man, but that’s always been my assumption behind it.

RadRat made a video with some interesting points on this:

Mcidraque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 213
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #436 on: February 19, 2021, 10:30:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
slap circlejerks ventures so hard it makes me not want to try them.
[close]

Slap circlejerks a lot of things and has this same effect on me.
[close]
-claiming they prefer relatable footage as opposed to mind blowing shit.
[close]
The problem is that no one realizes that super flowing line with simple-ish tricks is not relatable at all when you take into account speed and style.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #437 on: February 19, 2021, 10:43:33 PM »
that literally doesn't make any sense unless you film yourself everytime you go skating. you never think about someone's style when you're doing something, like as inspiration? Like Julien Stranger doing a casual back 5050 on a ledge - i can't reproduce his strength and deftness whatsoever but I think about it when i do mine. That's way easier to relate to than send it saturdays or anything like that
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1336
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #438 on: February 20, 2021, 12:25:36 AM »
Moms Penny
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

baaaaaaguette

« Reply #439 on: February 20, 2021, 02:29:34 AM »
Dudes taking up the whole local spot to rollerblade are total kooks. Maybe its fun for you to do wide circles and nothing else but youre blocking an entire spot for a dozen people and then some. Basically fuck rollerblading, except skatepark rollerbladers, those guys are tight as fuck

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2231
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #440 on: February 20, 2021, 08:03:15 AM »
Dudes taking up the whole local spot to rollerblade are total kooks. Maybe its fun for you to do wide circles and nothing else but youre blocking an entire spot for a dozen people and then some. Basically fuck rollerblading, except skatepark rollerbladers, those guys are tight as fuck
Nah. They still ain’t tight, even at the park.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

baaaaaaguette

« Reply #441 on: February 20, 2021, 08:19:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

man last i went some guy was launching himself several feet in the air off a bowl it was insane.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #442 on: February 20, 2021, 08:40:52 AM »
i’ve said this before in here i think but rollerbladers take the most insane crash test dummy slams

Brguy

« Reply #443 on: February 20, 2021, 12:39:56 PM »
It sucks when they wax shit though.

quesly

• Rep: 14
« Reply #444 on: February 20, 2021, 02:22:43 PM »
It sucks when they wax shit though.
obligatory

Coffee

• Rep: 40
« Reply #445 on: February 20, 2021, 03:47:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

When I started skating in the mid 90's as a middle school kid in bumfuck Midwest two of my friends who I had been friends with for years started rollerblading.  Since our town was really small we naturally only had a couple spots and since we were friends with those two kids before any of us starting skating and them rollerblading we would roll together.  Outside of those two kids every rollerblader I've ever met was an insufferable douche.  Most of them used too much wax, snaked everyone at every spot, dressed like extras in a 311 music video, and always tried to bum smokes.  Fuck those kooks.  I seriously haven't seen anyone on rollerblades in probably 12 years.  Are they still a thing?  Do they still have pros and whatever?

aàáâäæãå

• Rep: -2
« Reply #446 on: February 20, 2021, 04:27:06 PM »
I saw two at a nearby park filming when I got there around 10 am. They were the only ones there and one of them cool guyed me when I said “hello”. He did give me a nod when they left though.

Respect.

rawbacon

• Rep: -10
« Reply #447 on: February 21, 2021, 02:27:27 AM »
youtube algorithm hooked me up with a rollerblading video part from this dude that looked like a bootleg kerry king, i wish i remembered the name anything about it so i could link it. maybe someone here saw it?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
« Reply #448 on: February 21, 2021, 02:47:57 AM »
I went to grad school with a guy who was a gnarly rollerblader back in the day.  Checked out his parts on YouTube.  Fakie backflip down Carlsbad gap was definitely pretty heavy

rawbacon

• Rep: -10
« Reply #449 on: February 21, 2021, 03:07:43 AM »
I went to grad school with a guy who was a gnarly rollerblader back in the day.  Checked out his parts on YouTube.  Fakie backflip down Carlsbad gap was definitely pretty heavy

wheres the link? but more importantly, what was your major? also, how many stairs can you ollie?