Author Topic: 2021 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 118634 times)

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 257
Re: 2021 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #450 on: February 21, 2021, 03:50:32 AM »
Expand Quote
I went to grad school with a guy who was a gnarly rollerblader back in the day.  Checked out his parts on YouTube.  Fakie backflip down Carlsbad gap was definitely pretty heavy
[close]

wheres the link? but more importantly, what was your major? also, how many stairs can you ollie?

http://m.facebook.com/backto.the.LAB/videos/fakie-back-the-gapreposted-from-connorobrien310-fakie-backflipping-the-infamous-/665286367627021/?__so__=permalink&__rv__=related_videos

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #451 on: February 26, 2021, 10:57:36 AM »
Fat Bill's filming might not be for everyone, but he does it well and knows how to edit what he shoots so it holds together nicely.  The biggest problem with that style of filming is the imitators who don't have a concept of how to make that type of footage work in an edit.   

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #452 on: February 26, 2021, 11:10:23 AM »
Fat Bill's filming might not be for everyone, but he does it well and knows how to edit what he shoots so it holds together nicely.  The biggest problem with that style of filming is the imitators who don't have a concept of how to make that type of footage work in an edit.
you get it

Dwyck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #453 on: February 26, 2021, 02:31:39 PM »
I have mixed feelings about bill's stuff itself, but I think cropping heads and what not is a straightforward way to make 16:9 footage look interesting, fast, detailed and so on. There's an intimidating amount of empty space between the spot and the skater if theyre fully framed the whole clip. I think there's a generation of kids myself included recoiling from HD Greg Hunt/Meza/Ty etc - gifted and accomplished members of the old-guard who sorta stumbled into HD (well Ty fell off into action sports). The industry really bricked the HD transistion and there's a lot of 2009-2015 footage that's uninteresting and slow. The zoom stuff offers a clear way out for someone who's over that, even if it can hurt their footage in the long run. Paired with the new widening of what makes a trick filmable, it's like - You and your friend who has a bigger bag of tricks than aiden mackey can go film a clip just like Bill and it's as if you're in the same canon.

There are other ways to do it, though, and it's refreshing to watch an HD clip that isn't entirely claustrophobic. But I don't think the head chop zoom is the end of days
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Serious Bob

• Rep: 5
« Reply #454 on: February 26, 2021, 03:52:47 PM »
I like ishod but the way he skates seems pretty vain at times; like he's trying pretty hard to look relaxed

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #455 on: February 26, 2021, 07:38:46 PM »
I have mixed feelings about bill's stuff itself, but I think cropping heads and what not is a straightforward way to make 16:9 footage look interesting, fast, detailed and so on. There's an intimidating amount of empty space between the spot and the skater if theyre fully framed the whole clip. I think there's a generation of kids myself included recoiling from HD Greg Hunt/Meza/Ty etc - gifted and accomplished members of the old-guard who sorta stumbled into HD (well Ty fell off into action sports). The industry really bricked the HD transistion and there's a lot of 2009-2015 footage that's uninteresting and slow. The zoom stuff offers a clear way out for someone who's over that, even if it can hurt their footage in the long run. Paired with the new widening of what makes a trick filmable, it's like - You and your friend who has a bigger bag of tricks than aiden mackey can go film a clip just like Bill and it's as if you're in the same canon.

There are other ways to do it, though, and it's refreshing to watch an HD clip that isn't entirely claustrophobic. But I don't think the head chop zoom is the end of days

that was a great way to put it. i think sometimes strobecks newer (last ten years or so) style works incredibly well in terms of urban atmosphere, or just general tension, when it goes wrong it looks like he's a total dilettant, but there's clearly thought put behind it. he brought a new kind of filming aesthetic to the table which can be replicated or developed by anyone basically, which is cool in itself, no matter what you think of his output nowadays.

OldSkater

• Rep: -49
« Reply #456 on: February 26, 2021, 07:58:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I went to grad school with a guy who was a gnarly rollerblader back in the day.  Checked out his parts on YouTube.  Fakie backflip down Carlsbad gap was definitely pretty heavy
[close]

wheres the link? but more importantly, what was your major? also, how many stairs can you ollie?
[close]

http://m.facebook.com/backto.the.LAB/videos/fakie-back-the-gapreposted-from-connorobrien310-fakie-backflipping-the-infamous-/665286367627021/?__so__=permalink&__rv__=related_videos

this had the exact music i expected

WobbleHeadBob

• Rep: 80
« Reply #457 on: February 27, 2021, 12:32:21 AM »

nah. if you cant see the spot or the skater.. or even at times the fucking skateboad, its bad filming.

and_so_uh_yeah

« Reply #458 on: February 27, 2021, 12:55:15 AM »
if you purposely break a nearby window after landing a trick down a gnarly ledge you become much less badass yet may have narcissistic, sociopathic tendencies...

tight pants are wack. saw a dude in his 30's in front of me at the post office with them thangs painted on...yikes. pants hanging so low your drawers are hanging out, also suspect.

toy graphics are tiresome. foundation...what is going on with those images?

chocolate graphics are better than girl.

epstein didn't kill himself.

rick and morty sucks.

Pappalardo's part in Fully Flared was sick.

David Icke is cool.

is anyone triggered? ...lost my train of thought.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 09:42:12 AM by and_so_uh_yeah »

joaopedro

• Rep: -38
« Reply #459 on: February 27, 2021, 01:51:19 AM »

I respect people that think like that, and of course this style of filming is very popular like cuf pants, wallride, wallie, converse style (everything is the same package), but I cant stand it, I'm down for whatever """artful""" hipster filming style, but the skating is what should comes first, if you are sacrificing basic stuff like showing speed, how tall/long spot is, is just wrong.

to me fat bill is just a hipster going full hipster, do your art stuff but film the trick showing where the guy is coming/where he is going, show speed, style, push etc, unless its a commercial or whatever, videoparts filmed by him sucks, u cant even see whats going on or how gnarly the spot is

conqueso

« Reply #460 on: February 27, 2021, 02:00:05 AM »
this is because they want you to fall in love with the skater/crew by using that style of filming. its like this generations abercrombie & fitch magazine ad crossed with a skate video. all of it sucks. tricks/skills dont matter do you see how sick he looks in those shoes and clothes that nothing is special about other than lack of availability for normies. the brands want you to leave you saying......how do I get that? instead of how did he do that?!

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #461 on: February 27, 2021, 02:09:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I respect people that think like that, and of course this style of filming is very popular like cuf pants, wallride, wallie, converse style (everything is the same package), but I cant stand it, I'm down for whatever """artful""" hipster filming style, but the skating is what should comes first, if you are sacrificing basic stuff like showing speed, how tall/long spot is, is just wrong.

to me fat bill is just a hipster going full hipster, do your art stuff but film the trick showing where the guy is coming/where he is going, show speed, style, push etc, unless its a commercial or whatever, videoparts filmed by him sucks, u cant even see whats going on or how gnarly the spot is

This ^^

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #462 on: February 27, 2021, 02:22:01 AM »
this is because they want you to fall in love with the skater/crew by using that style of filming. its like this generations abercrombie & fitch magazine ad crossed with a skate video. all of it sucks. tricks/skills dont matter do you see how sick he looks in those shoes and clothes that nothing is special about other than lack of availability for normies. the brands want you to leave you saying......how do I get that? instead of how did he do that?!

nailed it

this is for sure the reason brands like supreme push this style of filming.

it's more like an urban fashion documentary with artsy(?) zooms than a skatevideo at times. it's good for creating a tense or hectic atmosphere, but it sucks for filming tricks most the time.

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #463 on: February 27, 2021, 02:30:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

nailed it

this is for sure the reason brands like supreme push this style of filming.

it's more like an urban fashion documentary with artsy(?) zooms than a skatevideo at times. it's good for creating a tense or hectic atmosphere, but it sucks for filming tricks most the time.

Good stuff being brought up here. I think he could keep what works about this style, whatever cinematic quality it gives off at times but just know when to ease up on “OMG Ben Kadow sooo dreamy!” Lol

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -764
« Reply #464 on: February 27, 2021, 04:08:13 AM »

Bang on man.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

G raham

• Rep: -49
« Reply #465 on: February 27, 2021, 04:11:42 AM »
I like ishod but the way he skates seems pretty vain at times; like he's trying pretty hard to look relaxed

agree completely but one of those ppl where you can look past it cos of how fuckin gnarly he is. few ppl like this
Well guys, there's nothing better than getting out there and skateboarding. - Shane O'Neill.

marty mcfly

« Reply #466 on: February 27, 2021, 06:18:31 AM »
I don’t like impossibles!
(especially when people land them with both feet on the nose!fucking gross !!!)

Not a big fan of bs360s either!

anti-bolts

• Rep: -2
  • andy shitcock
« Reply #467 on: February 27, 2021, 09:38:47 AM »
I don’t like impossibles!
(especially when people land them with both feet on the nose!fucking gross !!!)

Not a big fan of bs360s either!

you must love varials. although i do agree on the impossibles on the nose. reminds me too much of those white helmet etnies kids

Brguy

« Reply #468 on: February 27, 2021, 12:01:23 PM »
I think it's the opposite of unpopular, but since we're talking about Fat Bill. You can hate him all you want, but it's still better than that Blind fisheye touching the skater filming.

quesly

• Rep: 14
« Reply #469 on: February 27, 2021, 02:40:45 PM »
skateboarding always  has its "hot trend" crew Fat Bill and the FA/Supreme guys are just the latest iteration. Piss Drunx, EMB, Bones Brigade,z-boys etc.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 02:49:58 PM by quesly »

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #470 on: February 27, 2021, 02:46:09 PM »
if you purposely break a nearby window after landing a trick down a gnarly ledge you become much less badass yet may have narcissistic, sociopathic tendencies...

rick and morty sucks
David Icke is cool.

Hard agree about this first point, lost so much respect for Milton when I saw this.

First two seasons of Rick and Morty were groundbreaking.
David Icke is a shyster and an asshole.
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #471 on: February 27, 2021, 03:53:41 PM »
Expand Quote

rick and morty sucks
David Icke is cool.

[close]
Hard agree about this first point, lost so much respect for Milton when I saw this.

David Icke is a Holocaust denier and has brought the vitriol of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion into a new century. Seems like a cool guy.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

and_so_uh_yeah

« Reply #472 on: February 27, 2021, 04:42:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

rick and morty sucks
David Icke is cool.

[close]

[close]

David Icke is a Holocaust denier and has brought the vitriol of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion into a new century. Seems like a cool guy.

Can't stand Dan Harmon. he's a fat perv. there's footage of him pretending to r@pe a plastic baby doll for some pilot. wasn't funny. was disturbing. therefore i won't watch rick and morty. tried and barely chuckled. would much rather watch King of the Hill, Futurama, or Southpark.

If David Icke is a holocaust denier, that's some bogus shit. never came across him saying anything about that. if that's true lost respect. but i agree with much of what he says about the royal family, the elites who control the world, and the epstein case. his interview with Shaun Attwood is quite interesting, worth a listen. he doesn't mention anything about the holocaust being fake. hard disagree on that. it was a terrible tragedy that should always be remembered.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 11:23:28 PM by and_so_uh_yeah »

JosephSmith

• Rep: 49
« Reply #473 on: February 27, 2021, 05:02:04 PM »
My farts smell good.

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #474 on: February 27, 2021, 05:25:47 PM »
My farts smell good.
Na they’re gross. Mine smell good, though.

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 405
« Reply #475 on: February 27, 2021, 05:28:35 PM »
Yaje has a weird arm thing going on, bad style and has never done anything groundbreaking to the point where I should dick ride him like "most" of SLAP does.

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #476 on: February 27, 2021, 06:14:54 PM »
Sometimes Aidan Mackey’s ability to lock into manuals surprises me.

Ronnie Creager is way better than a lot of people think. First pro I saw skate in real life. Killer shit.

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #477 on: February 27, 2021, 09:44:25 PM »
Yaje has a weird arm thing going on, bad style and has never done anything groundbreaking to the point where I should dick ride him like "most" of SLAP does.

+1

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2231
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #478 on: February 27, 2021, 10:23:14 PM »
I actually thought YOUR opinion was considered the general consensus around these bloards. At least, it seems to be on the threads I frequent.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

RickKane

• Rep: -10
  • SLAP Legend
« Reply #479 on: February 27, 2021, 11:13:32 PM »
Skateboarders have become pro-authoritarian, and I'm not okay with that.