Author Topic: 2021 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 118632 times)

sus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
Re: 2021 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #660 on: April 09, 2021, 04:35:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I really don't get all the hype around Kader. Of all the footage I've watched, it's just another skater among so many. Sure, he's a million times better than me, but nothing special about it. It's not someone I will immediately click to watch a part - like Gustav, Shane, Louie, Tiago, Miles or Mason.
[close]

He was a cute kid I think that did a lot for him. I think a lot of older dudes are turned off now that he’s developing his own personality. I’m probably in that boat too. He does rip, but I was more likely to buy his board in 2019 than today. I like his skating, but not as much a fan of him.

For what it’s worth Kader is still pretty much a kid while that’s dudes you mentioned are all pretty seasoned at this point. Louie and Mason in particular I feel are only just in the past 2 or so years getting the credit they deserve. Also, remember when Louie went pro for flip, people hated on him and the “flip kids”
[close]

You're absolutely right. I also remember people hating Louie. I think Justin Dollin even made of him because of his long hair.

I feel like Louie and Curren were considered one in the same as kids, but i feel bad that Curren hasn't been embraced nearly as much as Louie has. I still think Curren rips, but that doesn't excuse the fact that he wore a Gucci tee in a RVCA edit

Brguy

« Reply #661 on: April 09, 2021, 04:42:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
rollerbladers appear to be coming out of their oyola-era as strong, lean, and loyal as skateboarders were at the time. the average person who rides a skateboard is becoming more kooky, more insecure, and less dedicated . the type of person who would have picked up a skateboard a decade ago may be reaching for rollerblades in a few years and there will be a lot of barely used skateboards wasting away in garages.   i'm not sure where the fault lies but skateboarding became too accessible and not discerning enough. as a result its become bottom dependent and diluted. we are in a bubble. the end of skateboarding's fourth big money phase is on the horizon.
[close]

A few days ago at my local park. A dad with his 3 sons show up. All with new setups. The dad used to skate and wanted to teach his sons. My local is kinda small, so I heard most of the conversations. 2 of his sons said, they want scooters (because it is easier and they have a handle) and the 3rd one wants a playstation. ^^

So yeah, skateboarding is very accessible nowadays but not everyone sticks with it. But it's always been that way.
[close]

its not that skatepark with the dad age i'm as worried about- i think that the purchase and drop off numbers for that age bracket will probably remain consistent.   its the tik-tok and late instagram age brackets.  that crowd is not only artificially inflating numbers but that crowd may be causing kids, who would in normal times would get super into skating, to stay away.
[close]

I think it's ugly and not particularly interesting, but it takes some sack to be a street rollerblader these days. The only dudes I see on skates are dreadie weed heads and they're just into it because they're into it.

I don't know that skateboarding has ever been completely discerning or whatever- like, in my heart, I feel what you're saying because for me and my buddies, skateboarding was an outcast, sorta baby-outlaw way of life- it was a way of life that ran counter to most aspects of jockdom, parents, rules, etc- and when I was a kid in the mid-late 90s, I had a hard time with the kids who were simultaneously baseball players, soccer players, and skated because I couldn't and didn't want to navigate both worlds.

[close]

imagine today you were in the same place as you were when you picked up a skateboard- and all those kids you were trying to avoid were all showing up to the skatepark wearing replica Nike Olympic uniforms, taking videos of their kickflips to flex on social media, and having their parents come watch them skate like they were at a soccer game --  would you skateboard or would you walk over to those dreadie weed heads in the street being rebels and having fun for the sake of having fun doing their own thing? this is my issue.  skateboarding may gain mass at the bottom but lose kids like you who stuck with it forever through thick and thin.

i guess what im saying is we all need to go andy roy hellride to save skateboarding.
[close]
What are we supposed to do? Go around and focus Olympic wanna be kids decks and throw their phones into sewer grates? Are we supposed to be super harsh toward them so that they leave and the misfit kids have a place?.
Of course not, just give them some alcohol, weed and introduce them to black flag or something.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #662 on: April 09, 2021, 07:30:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
rollerbladers appear to be coming out of their oyola-era as strong, lean, and loyal as skateboarders were at the time. the average person who rides a skateboard is becoming more kooky, more insecure, and less dedicated . the type of person who would have picked up a skateboard a decade ago may be reaching for rollerblades in a few years and there will be a lot of barely used skateboards wasting away in garages.   i'm not sure where the fault lies but skateboarding became too accessible and not discerning enough. as a result its become bottom dependent and diluted. we are in a bubble. the end of skateboarding's fourth big money phase is on the horizon.
[close]

A few days ago at my local park. A dad with his 3 sons show up. All with new setups. The dad used to skate and wanted to teach his sons. My local is kinda small, so I heard most of the conversations. 2 of his sons said, they want scooters (because it is easier and they have a handle) and the 3rd one wants a playstation. ^^

So yeah, skateboarding is very accessible nowadays but not everyone sticks with it. But it's always been that way.
[close]

its not that skatepark with the dad age i'm as worried about- i think that the purchase and drop off numbers for that age bracket will probably remain consistent.   its the tik-tok and late instagram age brackets.  that crowd is not only artificially inflating numbers but that crowd may be causing kids, who would in normal times would get super into skating, to stay away.
[close]

I think it's ugly and not particularly interesting, but it takes some sack to be a street rollerblader these days. The only dudes I see on skates are dreadie weed heads and they're just into it because they're into it.

I don't know that skateboarding has ever been completely discerning or whatever- like, in my heart, I feel what you're saying because for me and my buddies, skateboarding was an outcast, sorta baby-outlaw way of life- it was a way of life that ran counter to most aspects of jockdom, parents, rules, etc- and when I was a kid in the mid-late 90s, I had a hard time with the kids who were simultaneously baseball players, soccer players, and skated because I couldn't and didn't want to navigate both worlds.

[close]

imagine today you were in the same place as you were when you picked up a skateboard- and all those kids you were trying to avoid were all showing up to the skatepark wearing replica Nike Olympic uniforms, taking videos of their kickflips to flex on social media, and having their parents come watch them skate like they were at a soccer game --  would you skateboard or would you walk over to those dreadie weed heads in the street being rebels and having fun for the sake of having fun doing their own thing? this is my issue.  skateboarding may gain mass at the bottom but lose kids like you who stuck with it forever through thick and thin.

i guess what im saying is we all need to go andy roy hellride to save skateboarding.
[close]
What are we supposed to do? Go around and focus Olympic wanna be kids decks and throw their phones into sewer grates? Are we supposed to be super harsh toward them so that they leave and the misfit kids have a place?.
[close]
Of course not, just give them some alcohol, weed and introduce them to black flag or something.

you are under arrest

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #663 on: April 10, 2021, 02:48:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
Of course not, just give them some alcohol, weed and introduce them to black flag or something minor threat and teach them slappys.
IG: @flowterspace

Youoverthere

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 165
« Reply #664 on: April 10, 2021, 04:59:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
Of course not, just give them some alcohol, weed and introduce them to black flag or something minor threat and teach them slappys.
[close]

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

JamesFardy

• Rep: 65
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #665 on: April 10, 2021, 11:05:39 AM »
Danny way will retire

slimeballs

• Rep: -33
« Reply #666 on: April 10, 2021, 11:12:47 AM »
contrary to some of the jock prophesies on here, in reality the average skater is more random and less jocky than ever before. skateboarding is also more inclusive than ever before. 

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #667 on: April 11, 2021, 06:02:02 PM »
Who needs a crew to roll with when street skating..... I grew up in the age of everywhere and everything is skateable.

These goobers have no idea how good they've got it,  yeah parks were there but we didn't pay $25+ full pads for a hour of bullshit.

Was skating around town today and hitting random spots here and there, it's so fucking odd to me if someone is skating to and fro it's to a place or a park as opposed to just random street skating holy shit is Floriduh or rather Palm Beach is fucking weird as shit.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1415
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #668 on: April 11, 2021, 06:17:41 PM »
Who needs a crew to roll with when street skating..... I grew up in the age of everywhere and everything is skateable.

These goobers have no idea how good they've got it,  yeah parks were there but we didn't pay $25+ full pads for a hour of bullshit.

Was skating around town today and hitting random spots here and there, it's so fucking odd to me if someone is skating to and fro it's to a place or a park as opposed to just random street skating holy shit is Floriduh or rather Palm Beach is fucking weird as shit.

The funniest way to skate, for sure. Last time I visited the shitty place where I grew up, I was just starting to skate again, but had essentially 3 miles worth of spots that I made into spots. Wooden benches at the park, side walk at carwash, planter at chinese joint, bench at fire substation, brick walkway at church, speed bumps at park, granite step at school, curb cut at pizza joint, little mini hill into center of town with small bump, sewer caps, manual pad, chunky ledge at hospital, jersey barriers in parking lot at boys n girls club, cellar doors at bank, gas station manual, liquor store bump, small 3 set at bank and Manny pad, yellow curb at supermarket... That's literally in a 2.5 mile route. None of its mint and it never was bit its shit to skate!!!!
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #669 on: April 18, 2021, 10:15:10 AM »
I’m in support of beating the shit out of wannabe hard teenagers, better than jail or worse yet being dead.

I just had a moment in front of my house whilst setting up my box and ramps. Had young punk ass kids asked to ride my board I said no firmly but if they had an adult to supervise so they don’t get hurt then maybe.

Turned my back and they stole my setup till I tripped one and snatched it back, one kid flexed with a blade but I let it go as I don’t want it to be painted as a racist or standing up for someone stealing my stuff.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #670 on: April 18, 2021, 10:18:45 AM »
you sure showed those children who’s boss

skatingisntspecialstupid

• Rep: 57
« Reply #671 on: April 18, 2021, 11:25:25 AM »
Grown men standing up to children is good for skrapeboarding culture
Don’t dip your head in or your board will end up behind you

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -215
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #672 on: April 18, 2021, 11:43:30 AM »
Promiscuity is not something to be celebrated nor encouraged and there’s two almost 3-page threads on here detailing why.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

ColorWheelsGraphicsOut

• Rep: 4
« Reply #673 on: April 18, 2021, 11:54:18 AM »
Promiscuity is not something to be celebrated nor encouraged and there’s two almost 3-page threads on here detailing why.

I agree to a certain extent. While we're at it, I think porn is a net negative on society.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1086
« Reply #674 on: April 18, 2021, 12:22:57 PM »
I’m in support of beating the shit out of wannabe hard teenagers, better than jail or worse yet being dead.

I just had a moment in front of my house whilst setting up my box and ramps. Had young punk ass kids asked to ride my board I said no firmly but if they had an adult to supervise so they don’t get hurt then maybe.

Turned my back and they stole my setup till I tripped one and snatched it back, one kid flexed with a blade but I let it go as I don’t want it to be painted as a racist or standing up for someone stealing my stuff.

And then the whole bus clapped
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #675 on: April 18, 2021, 12:28:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I agree to a certain extent. While we're at it, I think porn is a net negative on society.

Agree wholeheartedly.

Also meant to say 30-page threads.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 726
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #676 on: April 18, 2021, 05:11:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Agree wholeheartedly.

If there were no porn I would have already killed myself. There are millions of people who don't have access to sex and pornography is the only recourse.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -216
« Reply #677 on: April 18, 2021, 05:41:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Agree wholeheartedly.

[close]
If there were no porn I would have already killed myself. There are millions of people who don't have access to sex and pornography is the only recourse.

I think a lack of sexual outlets for young men is manifesting itself in lots of ugly ways in this country

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #678 on: April 18, 2021, 06:05:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Agree wholeheartedly.

[close]
[close]

I think a lack of sexual outlets for young men is manifesting itself in lots of ugly ways in this country

The ease of access to porn promulgates rape culture and makes “a lack of sexual outlets” a problem. It’s literally pushing the idea that sex is a deserved commodity and makes women nothing more than objects for achieving that means. It’s dehumanizing and not empowering by any means.

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #679 on: April 18, 2021, 06:14:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Agree wholeheartedly.

[close]
[close]

[close]

The ease of access to porn promulgates rape culture and makes “a lack of sexual outlets” a problem. It’s literally pushing the idea that sex is a deserved commodity and makes women nothing more than objects for achieving that means. It’s dehumanizing and not empowering by any means.

what if the participants are personally telling you that they feel empowered? are they too naive to see how they’re being exploited, so you’ll answer for them?

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #680 on: April 18, 2021, 06:26:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

Of course not, just give them some alcohol, weed and introduce them to black flag or something minor threat wu tang and teach them slappys pressure hardflips.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #681 on: April 18, 2021, 06:58:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Agree wholeheartedly.

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

what if the participants are personally telling you that they feel empowered? are they too naive to see how they’re being exploited, so you’ll answer for them?

Yup

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #682 on: April 18, 2021, 07:29:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Agree wholeheartedly.

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yup

now we’ve devolved into patriarchal slut-shaming. yay progress!

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #683 on: April 18, 2021, 08:31:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Agree wholeheartedly.

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yup
[close]

https://fightthenewdrug.org/does-the-porn-industry-care-about-fighting-abuse/

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #684 on: April 18, 2021, 10:22:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Agree wholeheartedly.

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yup
[close]

Brguy

« Reply #685 on: April 18, 2021, 11:54:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Agree wholeheartedly.

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

A junkie can also say that heroin has done nothing but good to them, do you trust the statement?

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #686 on: April 19, 2021, 02:30:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Agree wholeheartedly.

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
A junkie can also say that heroin has done nothing but good to them, do you trust the statement?

as a society, we have decided that porn is legal (with restrictions), and heroin is not

so yes

HeapsCool

• Rep: -172
« Reply #687 on: April 19, 2021, 05:29:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Agree wholeheartedly.

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

as a society, we have decided that porn is legal (with restrictions), and heroin is not

so yes

I love how some empowered pornstar/influencer/prostitute says some bullshit on Instagram on how the sec industry is empowering for women and the suddenly we forget about sexual slavery, women making far less money than men so they are forced into a job that gratifies men and rape culture. It’s so woke it’s fucking stupid.

HeapsCool

• Rep: -172
« Reply #688 on: April 19, 2021, 05:37:55 AM »
Far from continuing the trend of team handsome, Sean Pablo looks like Marilyn Manson without makeup.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #689 on: April 19, 2021, 06:03:33 AM »
big spins are canceled