Author Topic: 2021 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 118630 times)

Bozo Dubbed Over

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
Re: 2021 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #990 on: August 23, 2021, 08:50:14 AM »
Super stoked for and humbled by any skater overcoming a disability in order to get some stoke.  That being said, I can't get excited about your footage if you don't have legs.  Fuck, I'm going to hell...
Damn couldn't disagree more in my experience. That Felipe Nunes part made me appreciate skating in a way I haven't before. Got me hyped

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #991 on: August 23, 2021, 09:14:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Everybody's got different taste, man
[close]

Totally, this is just the thread for spicy takes on silly bullshit. They’re trucks at the end of the day I’m just salty that Indy’s make me a kook, not my age, ability, or tastes

The vast majority of the negative sentiment towards Indy comes from their logo and that, for so long, it was everyones default truck (and for good reasons). People are trying new stuff, but many will go back. They're great trucks, and their QC since the move to China is better than when they were cast here.

@SneakySecrets I've always felt kind of gaslit by everyone's love for Ellington's shoes.

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 405
« Reply #992 on: August 23, 2021, 10:24:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Totally, this is just the thread for spicy takes on silly bullshit. They’re trucks at the end of the day I’m just salty that Indy’s make me a kook, not my age, ability, or tastes
[close]

The vast majority of the negative sentiment towards Indy comes from their logo and that, for so long, it was everyones default truck (and for good reasons). People are trying new stuff, but many will go back. They're great trucks, and their QC since the move to China is better than when they were cast here.

@SneakySecrets I've always felt kind of gaslit by everyone's love for Ellington's shoes.

I loved Ellington’s shoe but that’s probably because I’ve always been a huge basketball fan and iverson specifically. It was a great use of influence from a basketball shoe as a skate shoe unlike the koston 3 which just was a Jordan without the durability of an actual Jordan.

That being said I get why people wouldn’t like them.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #993 on: August 23, 2021, 11:20:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I loved Ellington’s shoe but that’s probably because I’ve always been a huge basketball fan and iverson specifically. It was a great use of influence from a basketball shoe as a skate shoe unlike the koston 3 which just was a Jordan without the durability of an actual Jordan.

I'm ignorant about professional sports outside of the Phillies, so that connection might be why. I've just always been kind of confused/surprised by how much people seems praise them.

Landmine

• Rep: 185
« Reply #994 on: August 23, 2021, 11:41:06 AM »
Heel flips still look stupid in year of our lord 2021

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 405
« Reply #995 on: August 23, 2021, 11:41:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm ignorant about professional sports outside of the Phillies, so that connection might be why. I've just always been kind of confused/surprised by how much people seems praise them.

I really thought the Phillies might make a run this year but that sweep by the diamondbacks makes me think they can't even win a first round series.

Either way, back to the shoes, I fully get why people didn't like them but as far as a skate shoe at that time, it was a great shoe. Toe cap was amazing but not as bulky as the Reynolds were at the time. It was a great in between tech/bulk shoe.

Double Thick Filbert

• Rep: -56
« Reply #996 on: August 23, 2021, 10:21:05 PM »
People that use 1 inch phillips hardware can go fuck themselves

Dog the Bounty Hunter

• Rep: 1
« Reply #997 on: August 24, 2021, 03:40:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Everyone doing all the madness to their non-Indy trucks are only doing so to make them as close to Indy’s as possible. They just don’t want to admit they wish it is still OK to be Indy
[close]

Yes, I’m out here trying to get my axles to bend just like my old indys. I need that bucking bronco, bearing breaking good time back in my life.
[close]

preach! they aint ready to hear it
#triggered.

Ace is all internet hype. AF1s are garbage, classics are good but quality control is not and their kingpins are cheaply pressed.

Everyone has such a boner for aces right now and it’s very trendy to shit on Indy.

People on their high horse saying loose trucks save lives and indys don’t turn have never gone fast in their lives.

Try skating more than a curb with your wobbly ass trucks and tell me how life saving they are.

Indys are the best most consistent trucks hands down, and they turn like a dream too.
[close]

Ive been on Aces for so long. My AF1’s are disappointing. I think Im going back to Indy soon.
Icehead

Loki700

• Rep: 74
« Reply #998 on: August 24, 2021, 04:26:23 AM »
Phillips hardware in general is shit.  It should be abolished from skateboarding and hardware in general.  We’ve had far better systems for years.
teslas are the longboards of automobiles

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #999 on: August 24, 2021, 05:26:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I really thought the Phillies might make a run this year but that sweep by the diamondbacks makes me think they can't even win a first round series.

Either way, back to the shoes, I fully get why people didn't like them but as far as a skate shoe at that time, it was a great shoe. Toe cap was amazing but not as bulky as the Reynolds were at the time. It was a great in between tech/bulk shoe.

the phillies rise or lower themselves to the occasion. historically we get stomped out by the worst team every season. we followed that sweep by beating up on the padres. anything is possible, the phils can still make a run

mushroom slice

« Reply #1000 on: August 24, 2021, 11:27:43 AM »
Ledge>Curb. Slappies are fun but Ollieing into stuff is more fun.

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #1001 on: August 24, 2021, 11:58:28 AM »

Lol that's a pretty strong opinion about something that has no impact on anything.

Does it need to be stated that 1" hardware is for use with riser pads? And Phillips drivers are just infinitely more common and accessible than Allen keys. And if you use them properly, neither Phillips nor Allen will strip.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1433
« Reply #1002 on: August 24, 2021, 12:15:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Lol that's a pretty strong opinion about something that has no impact on anything.

Does it need to be stated that 1" hardware is for use with riser pads? And Phillips drivers are just infinitely more common and accessible than Allen keys. And if you use them properly, neither Phillips nor Allen will strip.

Phillips was literally designed to cam out at a certain torque before breaking the screw. It's a built-in safety feature skateboards don't need, as the wood will compress before you're likely to snap a screw. Makes more sense if they sold JIS hardware.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1003 on: August 24, 2021, 01:45:39 PM »
Let's be real though, saying that you don't like Phillips head hardware is about the furthest thing from an unpopular opinion on here.

QixHexagon

• Rep: 29
« Reply #1004 on: August 24, 2021, 02:11:37 PM »
Tired of seeing posers skating in public and powersliding close to people, as if to scare them and pretend they're subversive.

Fuck you, you little piece of shit. Some people are just living their life. Not sure when was the last time you actually paid taxes with your own money, but let me tell you a secret: the streets are not yours.

You wanna look tough? Film a 12-minute video part with NBDs, kickflip a 30-feet gap, switch trep flip el Toro, fight Taliban all by yourself.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -198
« Reply #1005 on: August 24, 2021, 02:13:09 PM »
Ledge>Curb. Slappies are fun but Ollieing into stuff is more fun.

This. I can't noseslide or crook if it's curb height

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #1006 on: August 24, 2021, 02:38:23 PM »
Thick ladies vs. skinny bitches I’d rather bang the fuck outta a gal with big ass that can cook fuck and suck than a skinny gal who eats out mcdogshit.

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #1007 on: August 24, 2021, 02:43:00 PM »
i got philips. wah

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
« Reply #1008 on: August 24, 2021, 02:52:36 PM »
Tired of seeing posers skating in public and powersliding close to people, as if to scare them and pretend they're subversive.

Fuck you, you little piece of shit. Some people are just living their life. Not sure when was the last time you actually paid taxes with your own money, but let me tell you a secret: the streets are not yours.

You wanna look tough? Film a 12-minute video part with NBDs, kickflip a 30-feet gap, switch trep flip el Toro, fight Taliban all by yourself.

Not exactly this but for a long while I was a magenta defender but since covid fuck those guys especially Leo valls.
Pushing full speed thru crowds of people only to powerslide at people's ankles. Like regular people need to needed to risk going to hospital in a pandemic because some French chode ran into their legs.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1009 on: August 24, 2021, 03:06:24 PM »
Thick ladies vs. skinny bitches I’d rather bang the fuck outta a gal with big ass that can cook fuck and suck than a skinny gal who eats out mcdogshit.
neither are mutually exclusive

go get you some and find out
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1336
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #1010 on: August 24, 2021, 03:14:27 PM »
Please send all of your used or unused Phillips hardware to me at:

Jake XXXXX
123 Fake St
Nowhere, ZX 10001

7/8 or 1" is fine. Throw anything longer in a time machine or the recycling bin.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1086
« Reply #1011 on: August 26, 2021, 08:34:47 PM »
Skateboard camps and many other organizations designed to bring kids into skateboarding represent the NGO-ification of skateboarding, and this is lamentable.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2231
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #1012 on: August 26, 2021, 08:40:08 PM »
Skateboard camps and many other organizations designed to bring kids into skateboarding represent the NGO-ification of skateboarding, and this is lamentable.
Just for clarity: are you saying skateboarding is likely to be better served if it is overseen by government, and if so, at what level (municipal, state, or federal?)
Thank you for elaborating.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1086
« Reply #1013 on: August 26, 2021, 08:48:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Just for clarity: are you saying skateboarding is likely to be better served if it is overseen by government, and if so, at what level (municipal, state, or federal?)

Not at all. To be honest, I haven't fully fleshed out this idea, but I am driving at is that these organizations are bringing the values of NGOs to skateboarding, and I don't subscribe to those values, at least the predominantly neoliberal nature of them. I don't want any kind of government oversight into skating until such a time as we are no longer dominated by an economic order of exploitation.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

elbarto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 33
« Reply #1014 on: August 26, 2021, 10:09:08 PM »
Louie Lopez, as talented and smooth as he is, does nothing for me. I like his front 180’s though.
“I’ll whoop your ass with my arm out of socket”

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -289
« Reply #1015 on: August 26, 2021, 11:19:09 PM »
I don’t like the resurgence of baggy pants and cargo pants.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1180
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1016 on: August 27, 2021, 12:10:19 AM »

What are your thoughts on these jawns?

Especially the next-level ones at 1:24.

I actually think they’re kinda sick.  I’d get a pair if I wasn’t going look like I just escaped from a mental hospital while wearing them.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -289
« Reply #1017 on: August 27, 2021, 01:04:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What are your thoughts on these jawns?

Especially the next-level ones at 1:24.

I actually think they’re kinda sick.  I’d get a pair if I wasn’t going look like I just escaped from a mental hospital while wearing them.

You’re better off without them Mr Secrets

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1018 on: August 27, 2021, 07:14:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Not at all. To be honest, I haven't fully fleshed out this idea, but I am driving at is that these organizations are bringing the values of NGOs to skateboarding, and I don't subscribe to those values, at least the predominantly neoliberal nature of them. I don't want any kind of government oversight into skating until such a time as we are no longer dominated by an economic order of exploitation.

Wait, you don’t want any government oversight, but also deplore Nongovernmental Organizations (NGOs)? It’s not like these are the gutless entities like the WHO or some shit, just rich people that like skating or want to provide an alternative for urban youth.

Eskorbut0

• Rep: -2
  • Be careful what you wish for
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1019 on: August 27, 2021, 07:21:37 AM »
Unpopular opinion : it’s ok to have an opinion. People have the right to liberty and do whatever they want. But no law guarantees people’s comfort and doesn’t save anybody from harassment.