Author Topic: 2021 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 118617 times)

cky enthusiast

Re: 2021 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #1170 on: September 05, 2021, 10:42:56 AM »
i don’t live on the west coast anymore so maybe that’s why there’s a difference of opinion.

Loki700

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #1171 on: September 05, 2021, 10:48:11 AM »
Who considers a bike a toy ?

Lots of people? It fits the definition, and is widely considered one.  It’s also a mode of transport.  Things can be two things.

https://www.toyhalloffame.org/toys/bicycle

Comparing skateboarding to a toy is just a kooky way to act like you're too cool to care about anything.
Even if you’ve said that you still care immensely about said toy, and that just because something is a toy that doesn’t make it worthless?

Golf clubs are also toys.  That doesn’t diminish the importance they have to people who love golf.  Same for model trains.  If you really have to insist your toy is not a toy so you can feel fine playing with it, more power to you.  But it’s still by definition a toy.
teslas are the longboards of automobiles

Brguy

« Reply #1172 on: September 05, 2021, 11:14:06 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Lots of people? It fits the definition, and is widely considered one.  It’s also a mode of transport.  Things can be two things.

Expand Quote
Comparing skateboarding to a toy is just a kooky way to act like you're too cool to care about anything.
[close]
Even if you’ve said that you still care immensely about said toy, and that just because something is a toy that doesn’t make it worthless?

Golf clubs are also toys.  That doesn’t diminish the importance they have to people who love golf.  Same for model trains.  If you really have to insist your toy is not a toy so you can feel fine playing with it, more power to you.  But it’s still by definition a toy.
Yes, a skateboarding is technically a toy, that doesn't excuse the behavior. No one wants to hear those shitty takes that everyone already heard from Grosso saying it a million times better while making a point with it instead of using it to be a conversation killer.

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #1173 on: September 05, 2021, 11:43:38 AM »
hilarious this discussion is so heated on a part of the internet called useless wooden toy banter

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #1174 on: September 05, 2021, 11:52:01 AM »
hilarious this discussion is so heated on a part of the internet called useless wooden toy banter

on the UNpopular thread!!  :P

quackquack

• Rep: -413
« Reply #1175 on: September 05, 2021, 11:54:22 AM »
I think it should be called at a draw, given that the two people arguing both have signatures with gross noseblunts.
Oh, the places you'll go.

Loki700

« Reply #1176 on: September 05, 2021, 12:28:42 PM »
Yes, a skateboard is a toy. No one wants to hear those takes while making a point with it.

Cool man, glad we agree that it’s a toy and that I was in fact making a point that gate keeping and being against kids doing what kids always do is silly.  Odd that you think no one wants to hear that while I’m making a point with it though.  Not sure when they would want to hear it then.

I actually thought about bringing that up but figured it would just be taken as me being a dick.

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1177 on: September 05, 2021, 12:30:28 PM »
model trains are so sweet

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -764
« Reply #1178 on: September 05, 2021, 12:47:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Golf clubs are toys? I've heard it all now. You have a tenuous grip on reality and are a kook level contrarian

Lol... Is a car a toy ?

A hammer ?

What about a missile?

I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Loki700

« Reply #1179 on: September 05, 2021, 01:15:17 PM »
Golf clubs are toys? I've heard it all now. You have a tenuous grip on reality and are a kook level contrarian

Lol... Is a car a toy ?

A hammer ?

What about a missile?

A toy is just something that is made to be played with for amusement.  Are you saying you don’t play golf with a golf club?

Cars are inherently vehicles, but can be used as toys.  This is called motorsport.  Hell, those cars are even made to be played with usually, and aren’t used for transportation, so they would fit the definition.

A hammer is a tool, made for constructing or demolishing structures.  However, much like a piece of paper can be used as a toy to make a paper airplane, a hammer could be used as a toy.

Missiles are weapons, designed to kill.  If someone had enough money I suppose it could be used as a toy.

The main thing that makes something a toy in its normal state, by definition, is that it’s something meant to be played with.  Skateboards and other sport equipment fall into this category.  How is using the commonly accepted definition of “toy” being a contrarian?

Like I said, if not referring to a skateboard as what it is, a toy, makes you feel better about riding one, go right ahead.  It’s still a toy.

quackquack

« Reply #1180 on: September 05, 2021, 01:17:21 PM »

Lol... Is a car a toy ?

A hammer ?

What about a missile?

Missiles were some of my first toys. I'd drive the car my grandma gave me on my 12month birthday and hammer my dong with shooting missiles at passer-bys (mostly old fucks and the Timothys).

I'm also about to start the world's shortest thread, entitled 'The number of times RichardBarkley wasn't an absolute shit troll'.

Magnolia

• Rep: 451
  • She/They
« Reply #1181 on: September 05, 2021, 01:21:46 PM »

Lol... Is a car a toy ?

A hammer ?

What about a missile?

Checkmate liberal
what quality posts do you have under your umbrella son of a bitch

mushroom slice

« Reply #1182 on: September 05, 2021, 01:25:51 PM »
What’s wrong with toys?
I mean unless you graffitiing. I don’t get the hate.
It’s like some sort of manly thing to say you don’t like toys but skateboard? Like a car is for sure a toy.
Some toys take a bit more responsibility. They even have ages listed on the packaging so it doesn’t fall into the wrong hands and become some thing else. Dont choke on a lego . Let’s not kid yourselves. It’s ok to have fun. 

quackquack

« Reply #1183 on: September 05, 2021, 01:26:50 PM »
What’s wrong with toys?
I mean unless you graffitiing. I don’t get the hate.
It’s like some sort of manly thing to say you don’t like toys but skateboard? Like a car is for sure a toy.
Some toys take a bit more responsibility. They even have ages listed on the packaging so it doesn’t fall into the wrong hands and become some thing else. Dont choke on a lego . Let’s not kid yourselves. It’s ok to have fun. 

Is this real???

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1184 on: September 05, 2021, 02:21:40 PM »
Expand Quote

Lol... Is a car a toy ?

A hammer ?

What about a missile?
[close]

A toy is just something that is made to be played with for amusement.  Are you saying you don’t play golf with a golf club?

Cars are inherently vehicles, but can be used as toys.  This is called motorsport.  Hell, those cars are even made to be played with usually, and aren’t used for transportation, so they would fit the definition.

A hammer is a tool, made for constructing or demolishing structures.  However, much like a piece of paper can be used as a toy to make a paper airplane, a hammer could be used as a toy.

Missiles are weapons, designed to kill.  If someone had enough money I suppose it could be used as a toy.

The main thing that makes something a toy in its normal state, by definition, is that it’s something meant to be played with.  Skateboards and other sport equipment fall into this category.  How is using the commonly accepted definition of “toy” being a contrarian?

Like I said, if not referring to a skateboard as what it is, a toy, makes you feel better about riding one, go right ahead.  It’s still a toy.

I don't even know where to start with this.

By your definitions anything can be thought of a toy. If that's the way your mind works then ok......

mushroom slice

« Reply #1185 on: September 05, 2021, 02:24:13 PM »
Have you ever played Wak a mole
Richard?

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1186 on: September 05, 2021, 02:24:31 PM »
Expand Quote

Lol... Is a car a toy ?

A hammer ?

What about a missile?
[close]

Missiles were some of my first toys. I'd drive the car my grandma gave me on my 12month birthday and hammer my dong with shooting missiles at passer-bys (mostly old fucks and the Timothys).

I'm also about to start the world's shortest thread, entitled 'The number of times RichardBarkley wasn't an absolute shit troll'.

You are a dense fucking moron

You and your 3 other accounts are so basic and obvious it's sad. You think you're clever and funny but you're just troubled and lonely.

Loki700

« Reply #1187 on: September 05, 2021, 02:30:30 PM »

By your definitions anything can be thought of a toy. If that's the way your mind works then ok......
Try reading again.  Anything can be used as a toy, but not everything is inherently a toy.  Things that are made to be used for entertainment by playing with them are inherently toys.

Toys can also be used as other things.  If you use a skateboard as a cart to move something heavy, it is being used as a tool.  It’s really not that complex.

But this is getting off topic.  The original topic was whether or not Skateboards are toys.  They are.

Back to your original post on this topic, if a golf club isn’t a toy, what would you consider it?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 03:14:59 PM by Loki700 »

sKINGraft

• Rep: 28
  • space doo-doo pistols
« Reply #1188 on: September 05, 2021, 07:26:18 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Try reading again.  Anything can be used as a toy, but not everything is inherently a toy.  Things that are made to be used for entertainment by playing with them are inherently toys.

Toys can also be used as other things.  If you use a skateboard as a cart to move something heavy, it is being used as a tool.  It’s really not that complex.

But this is getting off topic.  The original topic was whether or not Skateboards are toys.  They are.

Back to your original post on this topic, if a golf club isn’t a toy, what would you consider it?

specifically in terms of golf clubs would that not be a clear cut case of sporting equipment?

aàáâäæãå

• Rep: -2
« Reply #1189 on: September 05, 2021, 07:37:28 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You acknowledge the contingency of a definition and are set on maintaining the one you’ve designated.

A skateboard is tool, weapon, means of transportation, toy, chair...

2021 unpopular opinion: asking yr friend to bring their new tool to the session is very cool and good.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1336
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #1190 on: September 05, 2021, 08:11:06 PM »
I've been used like a toy bro
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Brguy

« Reply #1191 on: September 05, 2021, 08:16:10 PM »
This indeed is funny.

Expand Quote
[close]

This on the other hand is exactly what's wrong, if we were to go all "just a wooden toy" on our arguments this thread wouldn't even exist, the whole point of this is to talk with passion about stuff that isn't the least bit important on the big picture.

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #1192 on: September 05, 2021, 08:46:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
This indeed is funny.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
This on the other hand is exactly what's wrong, if we were to go all "just a wooden toy" on our arguments this thread wouldn't even exist, the whole point of this is to talk with passion about stuff that isn't the least bit important on the big picture.

this is why i come here and have been lurking for a long time, to see other people's thoughts on skateboarding

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
« Reply #1193 on: September 05, 2021, 11:33:17 PM »
The original topic was whether or not Skateboards are toys.  They are.

in my original post i stated that the rhetorical act of calling a skateboard a toy serves no other purpose than to humble skateboarding and skateboarding culture, or otherwise downplay the exceptionality of skateboarding. in my opinion, that is lame and it is something that I won't personally participate in doing.

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1194 on: September 06, 2021, 05:59:53 AM »
the thread of truth. generally speaking

Loki700

« Reply #1195 on: September 06, 2021, 06:22:16 AM »
Expand Quote
The original topic was whether or not Skateboards are toys.  They are.

[close]
in my original post i stated that the rhetorical act of calling a skateboard a toy serves no other purpose than to humble skateboarding and skateboarding culture, or otherwise downplay the exceptionality of skateboarding. in my opinion, that is lame and it is something that I won't personally participate in doing.
*The original topic between myself and Barkley.

The actual original topic was whether or not gatekeeping and lamenting other people not skateboarding the way you want them to makes sense.  I said that it doesn’t because skateboarding isn’t that serious and kids doing what kids do has no actual effect on how you skate.  I also had the audacity to call a spade a spade and say that skateboards are toys, which you took issue with.

The fact that you think that toys cannot be exceptional, or that it downplays the act simply because it is done with a toy says a lot more about you than anything.  People have done amazing things with other toys and said toys have amazing cultures surrounding them. Something being a toy doesn’t take away from it at all unless you have some hang up on playing with a toy, be it because it’s “unmanly” or “not worthwhile” or “nerdy”.  If that’s the case, the problem would lie with you.

That said, I did say that you can call it whatever you want if that makes you feel better about it.  I never said you had to call it a toy.  It’s just that it will still, in fact, be a toy, and that’s fine.

Anyway we’re detailing the thread pretty hard so we should probably stop.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 07:29:28 AM by Loki700 »

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #1196 on: September 06, 2021, 09:50:38 AM »
Expand Quote
We’re all just goofs playing with toys, marveling at people how can play with the toys way better than us.  Kids are always gonna be kids man.  They really aren’t any different than you or I would probably be if we had grown up when they did.
[close]

You speak the truth, I would definitely be just like them, doing the same delusional shit if I was their age. Funny sad thing is, there are people our age, seeking that same fake approval everyday...so yeah, clearly, not just an age thing. But I get what you're saying buddy, stupid kids will always be kids.

Without a doubt skateboards started as "toys" for pure amusement, and they still are fun and entertaining to use.

However, if you think about literally any "serious" sport, they're all ridiculous. They mostly involve a bunch of grown men attempting to move a spherical object to a certain location to score "points" in order to "win". The more you think about that the more ludicrous it becomes that these people are taking in millions to do this stuff. Yes it obviously takes an elite level of skill and athleticism, but it's still just funny to really think about exactly what "sports" really are.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1180
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1197 on: September 06, 2021, 10:12:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
This indeed is funny.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
You better hope Hyper Beam doesn’t read that.  This shit is life or death for him.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1198 on: September 06, 2021, 01:20:15 PM »
even before commercial boards it was a toy for kids after ww2. still is. dudes getting mad because in their mind itll take away some sort of respek from others lmao

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #1199 on: September 06, 2021, 01:30:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
We’re all just goofs playing with toys, marveling at people how can play with the toys way better than us.  Kids are always gonna be kids man.  They really aren’t any different than you or I would probably be if we had grown up when they did.
[close]

You speak the truth, I would definitely be just like them, doing the same delusional shit if I was their age. Funny sad thing is, there are people our age, seeking that same fake approval everyday...so yeah, clearly, not just an age thing. But I get what you're saying buddy, stupid kids will always be kids.
[close]

Without a doubt skateboards started as "toys" for pure amusement, and they still are fun and entertaining to use.

However, if you think about literally any "serious" sport, they're all ridiculous. They mostly involve a bunch of grown men attempting to move a spherical object to a certain location to score "points" in order to "win". The more you think about that the more ludicrous it becomes that these people are taking in millions to do this stuff. Yes it obviously takes an elite level of skill and athleticism, but it's still just funny to really think about exactly what "sports" really are.
Dumb take.
Athletes don’t get payed based off the risk or objectives of their sport. They make money based off how many people want to see them skate/ play and how well they advertise a product. Sports aren’t that deep