Author Topic: 2021 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 118626 times)

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
Re: 2021 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #1320 on: September 20, 2021, 09:38:59 PM »
I don‘t like MACBA clips.
Fair.
What about them don't you like? For me it's the crowds. I always prefer no pedestrians in footage. I want clips to look like omega man.

RottenToTheCore

• Rep: 10
« Reply #1321 on: September 20, 2021, 10:29:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Fair.
What about them don't you like? For me it's the crowds. I always prefer no pedestrians in footage. I want clips to look like omega man.

Macba is incredibly played out, can only watch so many basketball shorts + dunk ledge clips.

newguy

« Reply #1322 on: September 20, 2021, 11:35:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Fair.
[close]

Macba is incredibly played out, can only watch so many basketball shorts + dunk ledge clips.

Damn that was the cleanest, most accurate burn I’ve seen on this site in a while

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -764
« Reply #1323 on: September 21, 2021, 06:23:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Fair.
[close]

[close]

Damn that was the cleanest, most accurate burn I’ve seen on this site in a while

Lol

Is that even a burn?

You're easily amused.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1324 on: September 21, 2021, 06:28:51 AM »
Expand Quote
I think Pretty Sweet is a good video and anyone who disagrees is probably an old dude trying to pretend those are the same brands they grew up with. I'd even said they did the whole video in changing times thing better than Baker 4, even if Baker did it in a more iconic way.
[close]

Intro was cringe as fuck. Drone footage ending in the who gang fake jumping for joy and hi5ing to the camera with the confetti and shit. Wat.

i really like the lissie cover
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
« Reply #1325 on: September 21, 2021, 08:12:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Fair.

It's hard to say really. Not necessarily the crowds, it's the entire vibe that turns me off. I feel that I would hate to skate there. And yes, as pointed out by @RottenToTheCore  it's a played out spot.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

newguy

« Reply #1326 on: September 21, 2021, 08:14:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Fair.
[close]

[close]

[close]

Lol

Is that even a burn?

You're easily amused.

Am simpleton, funny words I like

rusty knees

• Rep: -10
  • I had a photo in SLAP
« Reply #1327 on: September 21, 2021, 08:28:13 AM »
if you hit your wheel/truck right before you get into a backtail, it doesnt count.

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #1328 on: September 21, 2021, 08:28:54 AM »
even with a backup board ready and gripped i like to sk8 the current to the point where its chipped flimsy less popped and pretty much gone. the point where strangers think i might not be able to afford another or something. ive focused 1 or 2 in anger my whole life but never again. idk if its atonement

Coffee

• Rep: 40
« Reply #1329 on: September 21, 2021, 08:38:25 AM »
i like slightly less grippy. jessup then take the corners and sand it down another 20% or so

I don’t go the extra mile to sand it down but I prefer jessup because it’s less grippy. I’ve used mob and it was too much.

Sluggloaph

• Rep: 25
« Reply #1330 on: September 21, 2021, 09:03:58 AM »
even with a backup board ready and gripped i like to sk8 the current to the point where its chipped flimsy less popped and pretty much gone. the point where strangers think i might not be able to afford another or something. ive focused 1 or 2 in anger my whole life but never again. idk if its atonement
Same. Exactly the same...I just set up my new jawn. It's like amazing to have a fresh but not gonna lie can't wait to fucking destroy it.
Whoa. Danger.

MaXX_I-D

« Reply #1331 on: September 21, 2021, 09:48:15 AM »
i like slightly less grippy. jessup then take the corners and sand it down another 20% or so
I like to sand down the front bolts area and behind the back bolts, but not to the end of the tail.

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1332 on: September 21, 2021, 01:00:45 PM »
that makes sense. guess i just want it consistently throughout. ruins shoes less too. another thing is cleaning the wheels. after x sessions i wring paper towels and give them a good wipe. cleans the wax and slip out less

Rattus Localis

« Reply #1333 on: September 22, 2021, 06:39:26 AM »
The Koston 3 is a powerfully ugly shoe.

This is coming from a man who loves the Koston 1 and even has love for the K2.

I don't understand the nostalgia for this abomination.

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #1334 on: September 22, 2021, 12:36:15 PM »

I think this is a popular opinion, they are indeed fugly,

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1180
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1335 on: September 22, 2021, 01:21:53 PM »
So bummed I never skated the Koston 1’s
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1086
« Reply #1336 on: September 22, 2021, 01:34:53 PM »
We have a skate conspiracy thread? I can't find it. Anyway, here's my new one - I've tried it, and the rubber grip tape is as good as the 80 grit stuff we all skate. As an old fart, it would be hard for me to make the adjustment after ~32 years on sandpaper, but if we started out every 10 year old on it, skateboarding would still go as hard and no one would ever know any different. It will never achieve widespread acceptable because conspicuous shoe consumption is now a pillar of the industry.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Joe Davola

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 60
« Reply #1337 on: September 22, 2021, 01:44:10 PM »

Where’s the nostalgia? Are they coming back? I want to try a pair sooooo bad.

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
« Reply #1338 on: September 22, 2021, 01:51:49 PM »
Old dude.   Loved Pretty Sweet.   Like the intro and Guy's song that everyone hates as well.

Loki700

« Reply #1339 on: September 22, 2021, 02:28:55 PM »
We have a skate conspiracy thread? I can't find it. Anyway, here's my new one - I've tried it, and the rubber grip tape is as good as the 80 grit stuff we all skate. As an old fart, it would be hard for me to make the adjustment after ~32 years on sandpaper, but if we started out every 10 year old on it, skateboarding would still go as hard and no one would ever know any different. It will never achieve widespread acceptable because conspicuous shoe consumption is now a pillar of the industry.

All you have to do is go to Advanced Search, put 100 days as the age of the posts, and search for "conspiracy".  It was the 9th result.

That's awesome to know though.  I've wanted to try some but was figuring it wasn't worth the effort if it sucked.  I'll have to try it on my next setup.
teslas are the longboards of automobiles

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1340 on: September 22, 2021, 02:45:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

All you have to do is go to Advanced Search, put 100 days as the age of the posts, and search for "conspiracy".  It was the 9th result.

That's awesome to know though.  I've wanted to try some but was figuring it wasn't worth the effort if it sucked.  I'll have to try it on my next setup.

I knew it was out there, and I am literally an IT professional, but "search functions" are right next to working with printers in the category of "I ain't fucking with this."

BugleBites

• Rep: -68
« Reply #1341 on: September 22, 2021, 03:10:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Fair.
[close]

It's hard to say really. Not necessarily the crowds, it's the entire vibe that turns me off. I feel that I would hate to skate there. And yes, as pointed out by @RottenToTheCore  it's a played out spot.

By the time I finally made it to Barcelona I was definitely sick of Macba footage, but I at least wanted to check it out. After about 30 seconds there I never wanted to go back, and I'm generally a plaza/ledge guy. There's just waaaaaaay too many people there, insanely annoying beer vendors with no short term memory so they keep trying to sell you beer over and over, and a heavy concentration of very kooky skaters from all over the world filming on phones. Not to mention the main ledge is beat to shit at this point. Lots of giant piss puddles, thieves. The only time I liked it was late at night as a sort of outdoor party vibe if you don't plan on skating. My only trip to Barcelona the guys I went with started every day there, lurking for a few hours, and then went back there after going to another spot. Drove me fucking nuts. Also funny watching almost every dude there drool over Cata, who was like, 19 at the time.

If I ever go back, that place is black listed.

IpathCats

« Reply #1342 on: September 22, 2021, 03:45:24 PM »
Ventures are ugly and grind like shit.

Not a bad choice if you want a heavy pop feel and a good baseplate to slide on though.

But they're definitely ugly and grind like shit.

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -216
« Reply #1343 on: September 22, 2021, 04:55:23 PM »
I liked Blockhead

elbarto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 33
« Reply #1344 on: September 22, 2021, 05:51:55 PM »
I think if you are over the age of 20 with no sponsors/connections but are still actively trying to make it in the skate industry you are pretty much fucked.
“I’ll whoop your ass with my arm out of socket”

drcroc

« Reply #1345 on: September 22, 2021, 08:05:16 PM »
Ventures are ugly and grind like shit.

Not a bad choice if you want a heavy pop feel and a good baseplate to slide on though.

But they're definitely ugly and grind like shit.

I skated Ventures when I was at the peak of my skating abilities and liked them a lot... despite the fact they felt like they might break in half any given second.

The worst trucks I skated recently were these expensive Tensors. They were super light, smooth and precise but I still felt really floppy and not in control.

Definitely think a pair of broken in Krux are a happy medium.

Rattus Localis

« Reply #1346 on: September 22, 2021, 09:13:10 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
They don't seem to have the same following as, say, a DC Lynx or whatever, but I've met plenty of people who love them.

There's also that terrible Es model, the Evant, which seems to be a knock off of the original.

Koston was my favourite skater as a kid but I can't even watch his footage when he's wearing K3's. It just looks fucked.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1347 on: September 22, 2021, 09:15:19 PM »
I think if you are over the age of 20 with no sponsors/connections but are still actively trying to make it in the skate industry you are pretty much fucked.

This is the unpopular opinion thread, not the common sense thread

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1348 on: September 22, 2021, 09:44:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
They don't seem to have the same following as, say, a DC Lynx or whatever, but I've met plenty of people who love them.

There's also that terrible Es model, the Evant, which seems to be a knock off of the original.

Koston was my favourite skater as a kid but I can't even watch his footage when he's wearing K3's. It just looks fucked.

K3 always looked like the wearer is standing flat footed and pointing their toes up.
I'll have to go even more unpopular opinion and say the only good Koston shoe was his first Nike one. I don't even like nikes but to me that's what a cupsole skateshoe should look like.
But I also don't like the og DC lynx. I have a pair of the 2014 re release that is slimmed down and they're perfect
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 09:52:47 PM by Mean salto »

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1349 on: September 22, 2021, 10:00:42 PM »
Some guys had better style before they started wearing Big Boys. Not everybody can pull off baggy pants

Even back in 99 the biggest dorks went too baggy. There's definately a science to how baggy for your own body type looks good. It's something about the hips and ankles that makes the difference. Sagging pants always looks shit tho I was glad when that stopped and hate to see it coming back.