Author Topic: 2021 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 118633 times)

Easy Slider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
Re: 2021 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #1350 on: September 22, 2021, 11:42:59 PM »
I liked Blockhead

Same, how is that unpopular? I had the Omar Hassan dragster shirt. Wish I‘d still have it.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

somefucker

« Reply #1351 on: September 23, 2021, 05:58:44 AM »
Ventures are ugly and grind like shit.

Not a bad choice if you want a heavy pop feel and a good baseplate to slide on though.

But they're definitely ugly and grind like shit.

don't the hangars snap easily?

had this happen to me and a friend in our stair jumping phase.

also Aces grind smoother than Indys and have better stock everything.

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1421
« Reply #1352 on: September 23, 2021, 06:20:30 AM »
Expand Quote
I liked Blockhead
[close]

Same, how is that unpopular? I had the Omar Hassan dragster shirt. Wish I‘d still have it.

For real, blockhead rules

IpathCats

« Reply #1353 on: September 23, 2021, 06:24:39 AM »
Expand Quote

Not a bad choice if you want a heavy pop feel and a good baseplate to slide on though.

[close]

No idea about the hangars, Aces grind slow but do have a sort of soft feel that could maybe be described as "smooth" at least the classics anyways. Ace pivot cups suck, and stock indy bushings tend to blow out but i skate the hard ones, they don't do that. 

somefucker

« Reply #1354 on: September 23, 2021, 06:34:55 AM »
No idea about the hangars, Aces grind slow but do have a sort of soft feel that could maybe be described as "smooth" at least the classics anyways. Ace pivot cups suck, and stock indy bushings tend to blow out but i skate the hard ones, they don't do that.

Debatable, I have AF1s so maybe their pivot cup is different. Had them a few months and put some 3/8" risers on em and have been doing grinds/slides more consistently.

I was referring to the red/yellow medium/soft bushing, those shits always cracked/split quickly

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
« Reply #1355 on: September 23, 2021, 06:37:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Rode ventures between 04-07 and every single baseplate broke. Probably broke 20+ baseplates but never broke a hangar

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #1356 on: September 23, 2021, 06:38:08 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I recently went back to Indy because my ace kept sticking on chunky ledges. Miss the turn but Indy Tis are saving my old man legs. Ace gonna move to a tranny board

swanronson

• Rep: -27
« Reply #1357 on: September 23, 2021, 06:41:03 AM »
I think if you are over the age of 20 with no sponsors/connections but are still actively trying to make it in the skate industry you are pretty much fucked.

I had a friend who was similar to this. Was on flow for a few big brands really was insanely good, but still not good enough to make it. Dude tried until his early 30’s and gave up. Lost his identity and everything, very sad to watch.

somefucker

« Reply #1358 on: September 23, 2021, 06:47:05 AM »
Expand Quote
I think if you are over the age of 20 with no sponsors/connections but are still actively trying to make it in the skate industry you are pretty much fucked.
[close]

I had a friend who was similar to this. Was on flow for a few big brands really was insanely good, but still not good enough to make it. Dude tried until his early 30’s and gave up. Lost his identity and everything, very sad to watch.

no other career path?

honey island

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
« Reply #1359 on: September 23, 2021, 06:50:39 AM »
away days and since day are the exact same video

4LOM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 161
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1360 on: September 23, 2021, 06:57:54 AM »
I liked Blockhead

This is the unpopular opinion thread, not the common sense thread

IpathCats

« Reply #1361 on: September 23, 2021, 07:09:25 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Debatable, I have AF1s so maybe their pivot cup is different. Had them a few months and put some 3/8" risers on em and have been doing grinds/slides more consistently.

I was referring to the red/yellow medium/soft bushing, those shits always cracked/split quickly

Check the ace thread in the gear section, even all the die hard ace people say the pivot cups still suck. And yea the stock indy orange bushings deff blow out. The AF1s supposedly grind more like indys than ace classics, but I wouldn't know i havent put much time on the set i bought yet.

somefucker

« Reply #1362 on: September 23, 2021, 07:21:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Check the ace thread in the gear section, even all the die hard ace people say the pivot cups still suck. And yea the stock indy orange bushings deff blow out. The AF1s supposedly grind more like indys than ace classics, but I wouldn't know i havent put much time on the set i bought yet.

I'll peep it.

I personally haven't had any problems with the pivot cup other than the fact it squeaks/pops when turning sharp when I first got them. I'd be open to trying Oski's ace/indy ripoffs also

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1363 on: September 23, 2021, 07:21:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

no other career path?

Have kinda known some people like this. I guess it's hard to have a career if you're trying to make skating work. Constantly hurt or trying to travel you basically have to put all your eggs in one basket.
I don't know about 20 being the cutoff I think Jake Hayes went pro in his very late twenties and Gabriel summers was in his 30s. Altho I'd rather give up and take any job over doing what gabbers does

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1337
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #1364 on: September 23, 2021, 09:00:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
Rode ventures between 04-07 and every single baseplate broke. Probably broke 20+ baseplates but never broke a hangar
I don't quite know the timeline but Ventures used to be distributed by Street Corner and I think that is when the quality was iffy. They have been back at DLX for awhile and this thread is the first time since the Venture resurgence that I have heard anyone bring up their shitty quality. I think they have pretty well ironed out those issues based on how much you see them in the Set-Up thread. Ace on the other hand stay dicey.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1365 on: September 23, 2021, 09:11:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
I don't quite know the timeline but Ventures used to be distributed by Street Corner and I think that is when the quality was iffy. They have been back at DLX for awhile and this thread is the first time since the Venture resurgence that I have heard anyone bring up their shitty quality. I think they have pretty well ironed out those issues based on how much you see them in the Set-Up thread. Ace on the other hand stay dicey.
I don't know if it was so much poor quality but more poor design. Switched to indys and also probably broke a baseplate every couple weeks back when it was stage 9. Both brands baseplates had extra holes in the centre to save weight. Indy has changed their design but ventures look the same.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -764
« Reply #1366 on: September 23, 2021, 10:34:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]
I don't know if it was so much poor quality but more poor design. Switched to indys and also probably broke a baseplate every couple weeks back when it was stage 9. Both brands baseplates had extra holes in the centre to save weight. Indy has changed their design but ventures look the same.

The think the common denominator here is you.

Not the 30+ baseplates of various brands you obliterated.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1367 on: September 23, 2021, 10:52:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

Im willing to take 50% of the blame. I definately broke more trucks than most I'm a big guy who did things that would break trucks. But everyone broke shit constantly back then. Skateshops would often have boxes full of broken trucks that they were supposed to send away for the guarantee but never did so you could usually just scab bits out as you needed them.
When the stage ten and first theeves came out I didn't break a single truck and I skated the exact same way.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 630
« Reply #1368 on: September 23, 2021, 01:03:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

Im willing to take 50% of the blame. I definately broke more trucks than most I'm a big guy who did things that would break trucks. But everyone broke shit constantly back then. Skateshops would often have boxes full of broken trucks that they were supposed to send away for the guarantee but never did so you could usually just scab bits out as you needed them.
When the stage ten and first theeves came out I didn't break a single truck and I skated the exact same way.

you went through 20 baseplates in 3 years of consecutively skating the same truck brand and didn't think "maybe i should try something else" ?

elbarto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 33
« Reply #1369 on: September 23, 2021, 01:11:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

no other career path?
[close]

Have kinda known some people like this. I guess it's hard to have a career if you're trying to make skating work. Constantly hurt or trying to travel you basically have to put all your eggs in one basket.
I don't know about 20 being the cutoff I think Jake Hayes went pro in his very late twenties and Gabriel summers was in his 30s. Altho I'd rather give up and take any job over doing what gabbers does

There are for sure exceptions but both of your examples had already made a decent name for themselves and were on very reputable companies long before going pro. I’m talkin fools who are maaaybe shop flow, maaaybe a weird smaller local board sponsor, but still think they’re gonna be a big name in the industry. They all do illegal ass fucking tricks too lmao
“I’ll whoop your ass with my arm out of socket”

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1370 on: September 23, 2021, 01:21:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

you went through 20 baseplates in 3 years of consecutively skating the same truck brand and didn't think "maybe i should try something else" ?

Don't want to make the whole thread about my breaking baseplates but as I said I'd scab baseplates out the bin when I needed them so it's not like I was buying new sets of trucks everytime. The fact there were boxes full of other people broken trucks means it wasn't just me and there were only two shops within an hour of where I lived and they only sold ventures and indys so there wasn't other trucks I could be trying.

Joe Davola

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 60
« Reply #1371 on: September 23, 2021, 01:48:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The Koston 3 is a powerfully ugly shoe.

This is coming from a man who loves the Koston 1 and even has love for the K2.

I don't understand the nostalgia for this abomination.
[close]
Where’s the nostalgia? Are they coming back? I want to try a pair sooooo bad.
[close]
They don't seem to have the same following as, say, a DC Lynx or whatever, but I've met plenty of people who love them.

There's also that terrible Es model, the Evant, which seems to be a knock off of the original.

Koston was my favourite skater as a kid but I can't even watch his footage when he's wearing K3's. It just looks fucked.
[close]

K3 always looked like the wearer is standing flat footed and pointing their toes up.
I'll have to go even more unpopular opinion and say the only good Koston shoe was his first Nike one. I don't even like nikes but to me that's what a cupsole skateshoe should look like.
But I also don't like the og DC lynx. I have a pair of the 2014 re release that is slimmed down and they're perfect
Are we talking about Es or Nike Koston 3? Anything Es to me is about as meaningful as a fart in a paper bag.

dustyassrocketswitchv

• Rep: -137
« Reply #1372 on: September 23, 2021, 02:41:17 PM »

big texas cummer

Loki700

• Rep: 74
« Reply #1373 on: September 23, 2021, 04:31:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

no other career path?
[close]

[close]

There are for sure exceptions but both of your examples had already made a decent name for themselves and were on very reputable companies long before going pro. I’m talkin fools who are maaaybe shop flow, maaaybe a weird smaller local board sponsor, but still think they’re gonna be a big name in the industry. They all do illegal ass fucking tricks too lmao

Exactly, using those few exceptions is like saying that because Alan Rickman, Samuel L Jackson, and Harrison Ford made it later in life that all hopeful actors should tough it out, because that could be them!

Overwhelmingly the main indicator of success in both acting and skateboarding is starting with some amount of privilege.  Usually that’s money so that you can afford to do more and you’re not worrying about making ends meet, sometimes it’s in who you happen to know. 

If you’ve been at it for around 5 years, not skating but like actually getting sponsored and trying to move up, and it’s not happening, it’s probably time to start seriously considering other options.
teslas are the longboards of automobiles

Rattus Localis

« Reply #1374 on: September 23, 2021, 07:16:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The Koston 3 is a powerfully ugly shoe.

This is coming from a man who loves the Koston 1 and even has love for the K2.

I don't understand the nostalgia for this abomination.
[close]
Where’s the nostalgia? Are they coming back? I want to try a pair sooooo bad.
[close]
They don't seem to have the same following as, say, a DC Lynx or whatever, but I've met plenty of people who love them.

There's also that terrible Es model, the Evant, which seems to be a knock off of the original.

Koston was my favourite skater as a kid but I can't even watch his footage when he's wearing K3's. It just looks fucked.
[close]

K3 always looked like the wearer is standing flat footed and pointing their toes up.
I'll have to go even more unpopular opinion and say the only good Koston shoe was his first Nike one. I don't even like nikes but to me that's what a cupsole skateshoe should look like.
But I also don't like the og DC lynx. I have a pair of the 2014 re release that is slimmed down and they're perfect
[close]
Are we talking about Es or Nike Koston 3? Anything Es to me is about as meaningful as a fart in a paper bag.

I was talking about his Es shoes.

swanronson

• Rep: -27
« Reply #1375 on: September 23, 2021, 07:20:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

no other career path?
[close]

No nothing as a back up plan.

Yeah gabbers is an insane case. He looks like he is walking a tight rope between life and death. How long can you keep that up?

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #1376 on: September 23, 2021, 07:46:07 PM »
Ventures are a slappy truck
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #1377 on: September 23, 2021, 08:02:46 PM »
I think i yelled at him in the Tk thread but romain batard is the best filmer out rn by miles
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

kilgoret

• Rep: -35
« Reply #1378 on: September 24, 2021, 05:33:31 AM »
that goofball trunk boy that said "what is even skateboarding these days" in a negative way wasn't really wrong.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1968
« Reply #1379 on: September 24, 2021, 06:20:07 AM »
I dunno if this is unconsidered as unpopular here as it is in my peer group, but I don't get the Dylan Jaeb hype. And I'm genuinely trying to.

Yes, obviously he's very good at skating. But like, so are a million other kids on the Explore Page. But people talk about Dylan as if he's an all time great when all I see is him skating that same boring California skatepark. And of course the clips at that skatepark are very good but I don't get how he's already held at such a high regard and already sponsor hopping when he's put out nothing. And I don't wanna dog on him too hard cuz he's young and I'll gladly eat my words if/when he puts out actual footage that he worked hard for. And I'm assuming that's gonna happen seeing that he was at Pulaski/other places. But people act like I'm crazy for not considering him to be some kinda legend already. Then when I compare his clips to actual pros they're like "ohh lighten up it's just Instagram", but that's all he has. People love comparing him to top tier pros until it comes down to actually comparing their footage and I don't get it.