Author Topic: 2021 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 118632 times)

MaXX_I-D

Re: 2021 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #1440 on: September 29, 2021, 09:11:44 PM »
Skating with loose trucks is easy mode. Skating tight trucks and not tic tacking is real god shit. Grow up children.

spanyard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 77
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1441 on: September 29, 2021, 09:16:18 PM »
Wide wheels (e.g. conical fulls) look disgusting on all y'all's  8.5" or less setups.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
« Reply #1442 on: September 30, 2021, 04:03:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (aka Mad Max 3) is the best Mad Max movie.

Sure, it’s highly derivative of The Road Warrior and a little less hardcore but the action sequences are slightly better, it’s eminently quotable, and has fucking Thunderdome.
[close]

I thought the first Mad Max was the best one by a long shot as it was the most grounded in reality, had decent character development/dialogue and it captured rural Australia pretty well whereas the remainder of the series were much more action focused.

Just so we get the trifecta I gotta say the second is the best. I almost always like the first of a series the best(terminator, alien) but with mad Max it's kind of a nothing movie. It basically waffles until the last ten minutes.
But yes it's the only one based in reality(not post world collapse). it's basically where I grew up and as a kid I always expected some gang related road violence to break out whenever we drove anywhere.

Also fury road is better than the whole original trilogy.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
« Reply #1443 on: September 30, 2021, 04:09:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Muska style and lets say Luan style hardflips are not the same trick. I can do both now and I feel like they are at least as different as a varial flip and a forward/dolphin flip.
Same for fs flips.
[close]

When I started skating in 2000 people used to call them as two different tricks. Hardflip and frontside varials or front shove it flip. And we would call Muska frontside flips 180 hard flips. But people also called 5050s axle grinds or truck grinds.
i definately got clowned years later using this terminology.

I‘d rather watch Muska style frontside flips than those „real“ frontside flips any day. So much smoother, imho.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1444 on: September 30, 2021, 05:46:50 AM »
Wide wheels (e.g. conical fulls) look disgusting on all y'all's  8.5" or less setups.
any specific examples?
you just called out 90% of the setups here
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #1445 on: September 30, 2021, 05:57:37 AM »
[/quote]
I thought Fury Road was laughably stupid/goofball and walked out after seeing the heavy metal guitar hero strapped to the car speeding through the desert.  Gotta be kidding me with that shit, hard pass.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1446 on: September 30, 2021, 06:05:57 AM »
I thought Fury Road was laughably stupid/goofball and walked out after seeing the heavy metal guitar hero strapped to the car speeding through the desert.  Gotta be kidding me with that shit, hard pass.
[/quote]

None of it is high brow. It's just meant to be some dumb fun. Am fully willing to accept it's mostly about the timing tho. I was very happy to see an action movie that wasn't a bunch of shitty fast editing where I can't see what's happening and also isn't part 87 of a 100 part super hero thing.

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 642
« Reply #1447 on: September 30, 2021, 06:37:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Expand Quote
None of it is high brow. It's just meant to be some dumb fun. Am fully willing to accept it's mostly about the timing tho. I was very happy to see an action movie that wasn't a bunch of shitty fast editing where I can't see what's happening and also isn't part 87 of a 100 part super hero thing.
[close]

I'm right there with you, Fury Road did a great job scaling up the absurdity that is the Mad Max universe.  If you walk in to that movie expecting any less than a mutant shredding guitar strapped to a flame throwing monster truck, that is your mistake.

Get hungry on it!

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #1448 on: September 30, 2021, 06:51:36 AM »
hardware. got backups but i still just take a marker and make them look new. wheels. got an old set of f4 conical fulls as backups or something. not exactly backups but in case i feel like going back to the small wheels era

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 140
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1449 on: September 30, 2021, 07:39:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Nothing will ever convince me tech decks are cool
[close]
Not even Lurpiv?
underrated post!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1450 on: September 30, 2021, 07:41:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (aka Mad Max 3) is the best Mad Max movie.

Sure, it’s highly derivative of The Road Warrior and a little less hardcore but the action sequences are slightly better, it’s eminently quotable, and has fucking Thunderdome.
[close]

I thought the first Mad Max was the best one by a long shot as it was the most grounded in reality, had decent character development/dialogue and it captured rural Australia pretty well whereas the remainder of the series were much more action focused.
2 is the correct answer (even though 1 is great too) and it probably inspired modern crust punk fashion.
Doesn’t 2 also hold the record for having super minimal
Dialogue? 1 had subtitles in the US so the yanks could understand that early 80s bogan twang LOL
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 08:03:25 AM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

cky enthusiast

« Reply #1451 on: September 30, 2021, 07:46:48 AM »
i aaaam the niiight rider

spanyard

• Rep: 77
« Reply #1452 on: September 30, 2021, 08:03:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
any specific examples?

LOL you're absolutely correct I just did call out almost everyone - that's why it's called the 2021 unpopular opinion thread.

It's all preference - I think having wide wheels on <8.5 axles looks goofy ass training wheel Fisher Price truck vroom vroom as fuck.  It's even worse when kids at the park are riding wide wheels worn down to less mm than the riding surface of the the wheel - there should be a law outlawing this wheel height:riding surface ratio atrocity. 

EDIT: I love having as much grindable hangar real estate exposed as possible.  Conicals reduce that, esp. on smaller trucks.  It was cool in the late 80's when trucks were averaging around 9-10"s.  I get the purpose of a square conical wheel like F4 conical fulls, I used to ride them on my 169s, but even then I'd use 2-3 axle washers on the inside to get me my full grind.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 08:11:08 AM by spanyard »

Brguy

« Reply #1453 on: September 30, 2021, 08:50:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
any specific examples?
[close]

LOL you're absolutely correct I just did call out almost everyone - that's why it's called the 2021 unpopular opinion thread.

It's all preference - I think having wide wheels on <8.5 axles looks goofy ass training wheel Fisher Price truck vroom vroom as fuck.  It's even worse when kids at the park are riding wide wheels worn down to less mm than the riding surface of the the wheel - there should be a law outlawing this wheel height:riding surface ratio atrocity. 

EDIT: I love having as much grindable hangar real estate exposed as possible.  Conicals reduce that, esp. on smaller trucks.  It was cool in the late 80's when trucks were averaging around 9-10"s.  I get the purpose of a square conical wheel like F4 conical fulls, I used to ride them on my 169s, but even then I'd use 2-3 axle washers on the inside to get me my full grind.
I spent all my money on a new headphone so my board sucks right now, you'd be horrified by it. 8.1 deck, big conical wheels with 3 blacks and 1 yellow and what used to be 149 trucks, but now are 139 with the old baseplates cause a homie hooked me up when I broke the axle.

Speaking of it, the wheels story is kinda funny, I bought them of a friend and he had bought the same set as another friend, so they switched one of them, then outta nowhere some kid comes and ask if I got the wheels from Pikachu(that's his nickname), I look at his board and he's riding 3 yellows and 1 black.

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1454 on: October 02, 2021, 06:08:04 PM »
used to hoard but ive been a minimalist for a few years now. i never keep my old boards or shoes. 1 backup freshie for everything

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
« Reply #1455 on: October 02, 2021, 06:21:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
any specific examples?
[close]

For a Spaniard you sure have some old world German vibes

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #1456 on: October 03, 2021, 06:47:56 AM »
Skateboard meme pages are mostly terrible and are an overall negative contribution to skateboarding
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

newguy

« Reply #1457 on: October 03, 2021, 08:45:52 AM »
Skateboard meme pages are mostly terrible and are an overall negative contribution to skateboarding

The element flat bar thief bit was funny but yes, i agree. The worst IMO is badskatermemes, holy molly that guy needs to stop.

Sharp-o

• Rep: -6
  • WAH! Haippia spotille!
« Reply #1458 on: October 04, 2021, 01:43:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The element flat bar thief bit was funny but yes, i agree. The worst IMO is badskatermemes, holy molly that guy needs to stop.
Yea that dude is wierd as hell.

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1459 on: October 04, 2021, 03:05:43 AM »
theres probably like 1 or 2 out of all of them that sort of have funny memes. i dont follow that shit though

RottenToTheCore

• Rep: 10
« Reply #1460 on: October 04, 2021, 04:23:47 AM »

For real, they also promote unhealthy stereotypes

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #1461 on: October 04, 2021, 04:44:35 AM »

100%

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1462 on: October 04, 2021, 05:59:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

100%
bigger wheels on smaller boards, smaller wheels on big boards is the truth tho!

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1178
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1463 on: October 04, 2021, 07:10:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

100%
[close]
bigger wheels on smaller boards, smaller wheels on big boards is the truth tho!

I agree aesthetically, but there’s a bunch of spots I wouldn’t be able to skate (or would be a lot more difficult) without some conical fulls.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1464 on: October 04, 2021, 07:20:18 AM »
Matt Reason could rock 63s on an 8.5, and thus I totally back that look

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1465 on: October 04, 2021, 11:12:27 AM »
90/270 degree shove it's and flips into or out of slide tricks all have to go. Spinning the same direction as the board (bigspin/bigflips) is fine.

Backtail shove is kinda the exception but for the sake of the argument it can also go away. It's not that much harder to just do backtail bigspin instead of shove anyway

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 529
« Reply #1466 on: October 04, 2021, 11:43:39 AM »
90/270 degree shove it's and flips into or out of slide tricks all have to go. Spinning the same direction as the board (bigspin/bigflips) is fine.

Backtail shove is kinda the exception but for the sake of the argument it can also go away. It's not that much harder to just do backtail bigspin instead of shove anyway
I dunno i do front shuv front noseslides and think they're pretty cool, maybe I'm wrong
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

somefucker

« Reply #1467 on: October 07, 2021, 05:30:45 AM »

noseslide bigspins will always be my fav noob trick. back tail shuv is also the secretly harder trick bc landing regular.

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
« Reply #1468 on: October 07, 2021, 06:19:20 AM »

Strongly disagree, look at recent JB clips for illustration

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 785
« Reply #1469 on: October 07, 2021, 06:39:34 AM »

pop shuv noseslide and 360 flip noseslide are sick, but that's it
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate