Author Topic: 2021 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 118633 times)

PatrickSkateman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -215
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: 2021 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #1530 on: October 16, 2021, 09:01:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
R.I.P Thunder Trucks

Never expected that company to jump on the 'New Demographic Revenue Stream' bandwagon trend where sponsorship is concerned..?

Mental Illness should be treated, never coddled.

The only Tranny needed in Skateboarding is on Vert.
[close]

you’re a coward- sign in to ur regular account and say it with your chest big dog
[close]

This is my only account, first time I've been on here in years, actually.. anything else you need to be wrong about today?
[close]

Get fucked dork. Go do a noseslide down a fifty stair with your face

If you’re going to be mad at Thunder, be mad at the fact that the axles on those trucks are 100% guaranteed to slip and you’ll need to get new trucks.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

newguy

« Reply #1531 on: October 16, 2021, 09:31:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Ok but dunks are the only good wide skate shoe I've found and you can still get them on ebay
[close]

I pointed this out in my edit but the appropriately named cucktard most likely doesn’t care and came here to talk shit
[close]

So, I’m supposed to read your post, you respond in your edit, and then get blamed for not reading the edit before I posted?

Are you blaming me for the inability to timetravel?

Yeah that was in bad faith, I’d still appreciate if you shouted out some brands similar to dunks but made responsibly though

Cheshire Cat

• Rep: 64
« Reply #1532 on: October 16, 2021, 04:19:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Ok but dunks are the only good wide skate shoe I've found and you can still get them on ebay
[close]

I pointed this out in my edit but the appropriately named cucktard most likely doesn’t care and came here to talk shit
[close]

So, I’m supposed to read your post, you respond in your edit, and then get blamed for not reading the edit before I posted?

[close]

Yeah that was in bad faith, I’d still appreciate if you shouted out some brands similar to dunks but made responsibly though

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Sorry to slightly derail , but I bought two pairs of Straye Venice Highs for £50. They are definitely one of the wider shoes I’ve worn and skated. You can get them dirty cheap online , and while not a cupsole they have enough room in them to accommodate big ass insoles you may swap out their stock ones for.

On topic :

I just watched the majority of Pretty Sweet BluRay and have some thoughts that may or may not be popular:

-I love VX but this looks mad good on my 49 inch
-Brandon Biebel the idiot made me laugh when waving that ticket beside the cop.
-Olsen, BA and Carrol is the best part.
-Hotel California may work, but similar to Adrian Lopez, I can’t help but find non English music out of place in the middle of a video.
-Elijah Berle wishes he had an identifiable image but doesn’t. Skating to Bad Brains and Suicidal tendencies is not interesting and proves nothing other than the fact that a Spitfire cap or Beanie are your most defining features. I will never watch this part again.
-MJ with a white tee cuffed pants looks better than the majority of outfits these days. Fuck this part is so good and does not get the love it deserves. I’ve been wanting jeans like those dark wash ones he wears here for so long.
-Far too many Nollie heels out of ledge lip+board slides in this vid / era.
-Malto skating to Justice works so well and his part has some great tricks in it (Overcrook shove on that mellow rail, gnar front crook drop, bs noseblunt that fat hubba, beautiful ender).Get fucking hungry on it, girl.
-Mariano’s part worked with the music. How old is he here?pretty good for an ex Junkie child star. This part is so good and overlooked.

Also everyone who hated on Berra for “fake spots” is an idiot and has obviously never paid attention to skate videos. It was blown way out of proportion and it was NOT as deceptive as people wanted to claim it was. There was literally an interview (some
Of which was published in AWS adverts) that detailed it. And John Holland’s (I think) ledge spot on waste ground is a spot I actually miss seeing footage from .

Cheshire Cat

« Reply #1533 on: October 16, 2021, 04:16:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Sorry to slightly derail , but I bought two pairs of Straye Venice Highs for £50. They are definitely one of the wider shoes I’ve worn and skated. You can get them dirty cheap online , and while not a cupsole they have enough room in them to accommodate big ass insoles you may swap out their stock ones for.

On topic :

I just watched the majority of Pretty Sweet BluRay and have some thoughts that may or may not be popular:

-I love VX but this looks mad good on my 49 inch
-Brandon Biebel the idiot made me laugh when waving that ticket beside the cop.
-Olsen, BA and Carrol is the best part.
-Hotel California may work, but similar to Adrian Lopez, I can’t help but find non English music out of place in the middle of a video.
-Elijah Berle wishes he had an identifiable image but doesn’t. Skating to Bad Brains and Suicidal tendencies is not interesting and proves nothing other than the fact that a Spitfire cap or Beanie are your most defining features. I will never watch this part again.
-MJ with a white tee cuffed pants looks better than the majority of outfits these days. Fuck this part is so good and does not get the love it deserves. I’ve been wanting jeans like those dark wash ones he wears here for so long.
-Far too many Nollie heels out of ledge lip+board slides in this vid / era.
-Malto skating to Justice works so well and his part has some great tricks in it (Overcrook shove on that mellow rail, gnar front crook drop, bs noseblunt that fat hubba, beautiful ender).Get fucking hungry on it, girl.
-Mariano’s part worked with the music. How old is he here?pretty good for an ex Junkie child star. This part is so good and overlooked.

Also everyone who hated on Berra for “fake spots” is an idiot and has obviously never paid attention to skate videos. It was blown way out of proportion and it was NOT as deceptive as people wanted to claim it was. There was literally an interview (some
Of which was published in AWS adverts) that detailed it. And John Holland’s (I think) ledge spot on waste ground is a spot I actually miss seeing footage from .

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #1534 on: October 17, 2021, 09:04:15 AM »
sk8ing a dipped board for the 1st time ever. guess theyre ok

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
« Reply #1535 on: October 17, 2021, 09:25:06 AM »
Also everyone who hated on Berra for “fake spots” is an idiot and has obviously never paid attention to skate videos. 

I won't deny being an idiot but when I was younger I was obsessive about watching skate videos. what other skate videos before skate more have fake spots? As in fully made spots designed to appear real, not just a wooden box or stacked pallets or something. Also doesn't Steve's part has sped up footage in it

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #1536 on: October 17, 2021, 09:30:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
R.I.P Thunder Trucks

Never expected that company to jump on the 'New Demographic Revenue Stream' bandwagon trend where sponsorship is concerned..?

Mental Illness should be treated, never coddled.

The only Tranny needed in Skateboarding is on Vert.
[close]

you’re a coward- sign in to ur regular account and say it with your chest big dog
[close]

This is my only account, first time I've been on here in years, actually.. anything else you need to be wrong about today?
[close]

Get fucked dork. Go do a noseslide down a fifty stair with your face
[close]

If you’re going to be mad at Thunder, be mad at the fact that the axles on those trucks are 100% guaranteed to slip and you’ll need to get new trucks.

You need to be mad at the polite young urban gentlemen negotiating yo' deals. 

newguy

« Reply #1537 on: October 17, 2021, 10:21:12 AM »
Cheshire Ca, thanks for the info, they look real nice, might look a bit further when I find the time

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #1538 on: October 17, 2021, 05:34:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

there's pretty much zero shoes made responsibly unless you go to a shoemaker and have them made for you. if there is any reason why you shouldn't buy nikes it's because you only help them to consolidate their stranglehold on sportswear as a whole and any brand trying to participate in it responsibly. they can basically do what they want without legal repurcussions, even employ slave labor. the main reason why there are close to none responsible shoe companies out there is that the fact that big corps set the production standards, which means smaller, newish brands can't possibly cover basic operations, let alone thrive, if they start out with a costly, but responsible production model.

you will never see vulcanized shoes made in europe, because the production process is basically illegal in the eu. this is why brands like vegetarian shoes out of uk have to note that their vulc shoes are actually produced in asia. so not only are the means of production fucked, many skaters that love vulcs would now have to deal with skating cupsoles.

i'm pretty sure the vulc thing is one of the reasons last resort were produced in vietnam at last.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 257
« Reply #1539 on: October 17, 2021, 06:47:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

there's pretty much zero shoes made responsibly unless you go to a shoemaker and have them made for you. if there is any reason why you shouldn't buy nikes it's because you only help them to consolidate their stranglehold on sportswear as a whole and any brand trying to participate in it responsibly. they can basically do what they want without legal repurcussions, even employ slave labor. the main reason why there are close to none responsible shoe companies out there is that the fact that big corps set the production standards, which means smaller, newish brands can't possibly cover basic operations, let alone thrive, if they start out with a costly, but responsible production model.

you will never see vulcanized shoes made in europe, because the production process is basically illegal in the eu. this is why brands like vegetarian shoes out of uk have to note that their vulc shoes are actually produced in asia. so not only are the means of production fucked, many skaters that love vulcs would now have to deal with skating cupsoles.

i'm pretty sure the vulc thing is one of the reasons last resort were produced in vietnam at last.

Thank you kindly for that response. I didn’t know about the vulc situation either. If it’s that bad to manufacture, I’m going to rethink about asking them.

And an even bigger thanks to replying to him for me, I was too tired yo bother.

Gnarred.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

MaXX_I-D

« Reply #1540 on: October 17, 2021, 06:50:01 PM »
sk8ing a dipped board for the 1st time ever. guess theyre ok
Gross.
…what color?

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #1541 on: October 17, 2021, 07:31:53 PM »
its white. the lil paint chips that flake kinda annoy me but thats about it

thanksgiving

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #1542 on: October 17, 2021, 09:09:57 PM »

Sorry, super uneducated on this topic. Why is the mfg of vulc shoes illegal?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1543 on: October 17, 2021, 09:37:14 PM »
Shane oneil actually has very good style and a decent personality. People just don't like him (which is ok) but need a way to make themselves look good while being petty and calling him a robot has been deemed acceptable.  (There's also some anti regular Australian bias. Americans only like Australians who fit the stereotype of party dudes or massive assholes)

Donatello

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1544 on: October 17, 2021, 11:29:14 PM »
Shane oneil actually has very good style and a decent personality. People just don't like him (which is ok) but need a way to make themselves look good while being petty and calling him a robot has been deemed acceptable.  (There's also some anti regular Australian bias. Americans only like Australians who fit the stereotype of party dudes or massive assholes)

Are there that many people who really dislike Shane? I feel like he is generally pretty well liked and definitely respected among the community. The jokes comparing him to a robot and whatever are just because he's that good and automatic with his skating. 

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #1545 on: October 17, 2021, 11:49:50 PM »

Expand Quote

[close]

Sorry, super uneducated on this topic. Why is the mfg of vulc shoes illegal?

as far as i know, traditional vulcanization processes have been made more or less illegal in the eu after production of most shoes was outsourced already since it's terrible for the environment and workers involved. either that or it's practically illegal, meaning that the hurdles to do it in eu are either impossible to match or that these hurdles make it super unprofitable to attempt.

now i want to read up on that situation though. there used to be a euro skate shoe company whose name i honestly forgot, their shoes were rather bland, but they claimed they made them in eu in a military shoe factory. some of their models definetly looked like vulcs. then again, maybe if you produce with a contractor who manufactures military equipment also there are exceptions to environmental restricitions.

what definetly adds up is that it's impossible to find a vulc shoe made in eu. the thing with it being illegal was something a shoe rep once told me, but i have to admit i never fact checked it.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1546 on: October 17, 2021, 11:59:36 PM »
Yeah pretty sure the workers and surrounding environment get completely fucked by the pollution vulc shoe production makes.

I'm a vulc shoe guy but wouldn't be too bothered if they stopped making them. Dc around 2012-2015 had some really good cupsoles (Cole lite, Mike mo) where the sole was actually way grippier,more flexible and longer lasting than vulc shoes. The only "problem" was they had a cushion mid sole so they never felt fully like vulcs. If they just used these soles but cut down the cushion vulc shoes wouldn't really be needed.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #1547 on: October 18, 2021, 12:31:59 AM »
Yeah pretty sure the workers and surrounding environment get completely fucked by the pollution vulc shoe production makes.

I'm a vulc shoe guy but wouldn't be too bothered if they stopped making them. Dc around 2012-2015 had some really good cupsoles (Cole lite, Mike mo) where the sole was actually way grippier,more flexible and longer lasting than vulc shoes. The only "problem" was they had a cushion mid sole so they never felt fully like vulcs. If they just used these soles but cut down the cushion vulc shoes wouldn't really be needed.

i'm pretty sure there's a ton of other types of processes nowadays that could get you a similar result to a classic vulc. i guess as long as corpos aren't forced to produce cleaner and healthier we will see those only employed by idealistic upstarts or trojan horses that are actually backed by a big corp in attempts to greenwash their product. 

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #1548 on: October 18, 2021, 11:48:55 PM »
There are many different processes for vulcanization, using different chemicals and therefore with different levels of pollution. I could not find easily any remarks about the process being illegal but did see a couple of factories that still do it in Europe

https://tezlashoes.com/about.html
https://www.eurofina.ro/about-us

so I'm inclined to say it's all about the cost of manufacturing that shoes companies don't manufacture in the EU. Vulcanization also requires machinery and chemicals, whereas if you are a small "European footwear manufacturer" you can still order the rubber sole units from China and just sow them on at your factory, making it "manufactured in the EU".

Just like I can order t-shirts made in China, from cotton from Turkey, and print my graphics on and sow some tags and call it "Made in Italy". Oh and how's this for a twist, the factory in Italy is owned and operated by Chinese subcontractor with Chinese employees.

It's a bit sad.

*edit one more https://lakeshoes.es/en/manufacturing/
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #1549 on: October 19, 2021, 02:50:23 AM »
There are many different processes for vulcanization, using different chemicals and therefore with different levels of pollution. I could not find easily any remarks about the process being illegal but did see a couple of factories that still do it in Europe

https://tezlashoes.com/about.html
https://www.eurofina.ro/about-us

so I'm inclined to say it's all about the cost of manufacturing that shoes companies don't manufacture in the EU. Vulcanization also requires machinery and chemicals, whereas if you are a small "European footwear manufacturer" you can still order the rubber sole units from China and just sow them on at your factory, making it "manufactured in the EU".

Just like I can order t-shirts made in China, from cotton from Turkey, and print my graphics on and sow some tags and call it "Made in Italy". Oh and how's this for a twist, the factory in Italy is owned and operated by Chinese subcontractor with Chinese employees.

It's a bit sad.

*edit one more https://lakeshoes.es/en/manufacturing/

i had the same trouble finding hard info on this, so this would confirm my guess that it's not literally banned, but just not really feasable to do anymore, probably due to higher worker safety and environmental standards that require a certain factory standard that perhaps almost no one in europe is willing to keep up for the price.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 633
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #1550 on: October 19, 2021, 03:26:27 AM »
i don't see why cupsoles would be more "legal".
isn't there just a difference in cooking ?

hustleknocker

• Rep: -10
« Reply #1551 on: October 19, 2021, 03:41:35 AM »
skateboarding would not exist without exploitation on a global scale. ask yourself are you really as a human entitled to "skate shoes" and all the agony that is embedded in their creation.

Cheshire Cat

« Reply #1552 on: October 19, 2021, 04:10:38 AM »
skateboarding would not exist without exploitation on a global scale. ask yourself are you really as a human entitled to "skate shoes" and all the agony that is embedded in their creation.

Skateboarding definitely could have existed without exploitation.
But as is, it exists in a consumer capitalist free market. I don’t think anyone here is acting entitled to skate shoes?

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #1553 on: October 19, 2021, 03:41:36 PM »
Everytime someone joins the crailtap camp an angel dies
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #1554 on: October 19, 2021, 03:42:53 PM »
Dan wheatley is the harbinger of death a la that guy that went from es to Gravis in 2012 (Terp? Josh Matthews?)
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Spirit

• Rep: -20
  • Personal Text
« Reply #1555 on: October 19, 2021, 03:58:22 PM »
Heel BS Boards should be illegal

HiResDes

• Rep: -39
« Reply #1556 on: October 19, 2021, 07:37:39 PM »
Heel BS Boards should be illegal
agreed

But Heel FS Boards are dope, Kristian Svitak had good ones.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1178
« Reply #1557 on: October 19, 2021, 07:54:24 PM »
Justin Henry has weird drip
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -215
« Reply #1558 on: October 20, 2021, 05:41:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Justin Henry has weird drip
[close]
You have to at least give him credit for doing his own thing and not looking like everyone else. But people say I dress weird too so what do I know? I do take pride in having my own style though

Aren’t dangly Shawn Michaels earrings on trend right now?

I find hooping in Vans to be quite strange, and probably not too comfortable.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1968
« Reply #1559 on: October 20, 2021, 07:46:43 AM »
This is inspired by recent criticisms I've seen for recent videos, but in this day in age I feel like it's kinda trite to complain about a video's soundtrack as much as people do.

Don't get me wrong, music is a large priority in my life and I've got just as many opinions as anybody else. But most of the time I see people hating on a song I feel like they're just looking for something to complain about when there's nothing to say about the skating. There's been plenty of song choices I didn't care for in videos, but it's really hard to think of a single instance where a great part was actually ruined by its music.

Plus with how fucked record labels are about issuing rights to songs, I feel like editors should be cut some slack. Not every video part can be set to Slayer or Wu Tang.