Author Topic: 2021 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 118630 times)

urbneathme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
Re: 2021 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #1560 on: October 20, 2021, 11:04:01 AM »
This is inspired by recent criticisms I've seen for recent videos, but in this day in age I feel like it's kinda trite to complain about a video's soundtrack as much as people do.

Don't get me wrong, music is a large priority in my life and I've got just as many opinions as anybody else. But most of the time I see people hating on a song I feel like they're just looking for something to complain about when there's nothing to say about the skating. There's been plenty of song choices I didn't care for in videos, but it's really hard to think of a single instance where a great part was actually ruined by its music.

Plus with how fucked record labels are about issuing rights to songs, I feel like editors should be cut some slack. Not every video part can be set to Slayer or Wu Tang.

i get what you’re saying, but there is SO much more music to use now. there are so many sick bands and artists whose music you could get for super cheap. it would require being up on shit, or having someone you know be involved, but there is such a deep ocean of good music to select from, picking a shit song should be difficult. it’s not going to have name recognition or history like wu tang, but it might be someone’s intro to something sick like older videos used to when labels like epitaph would give their music away

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1968
« Reply #1561 on: October 20, 2021, 11:21:04 AM »
Expand Quote
This is inspired by recent criticisms I've seen for recent videos, but in this day in age I feel like it's kinda trite to complain about a video's soundtrack as much as people do.

Don't get me wrong, music is a large priority in my life and I've got just as many opinions as anybody else. But most of the time I see people hating on a song I feel like they're just looking for something to complain about when there's nothing to say about the skating. There's been plenty of song choices I didn't care for in videos, but it's really hard to think of a single instance where a great part was actually ruined by its music.

Plus with how fucked record labels are about issuing rights to songs, I feel like editors should be cut some slack. Not every video part can be set to Slayer or Wu Tang.
[close]

i get what you’re saying, but there is SO much more music to use now. there are so many sick bands and artists whose music you could get for super cheap. it would require being up on shit, or having someone you know be involved, but there is such a deep ocean of good music to select from, picking a shit song should be difficult. it’s not going to have name recognition or history like wu tang, but it might be someone’s intro to something sick like older videos used to when labels like epitaph would give their music away

Of course. I am of the belief that there is no better time to be a consumer of music than right now. There's unlimited good stuff. But I think people have a pretty liberal definition of a "shit" song.  I feel like most times I see people complain about a song it's such an inoffensive choice in the grand scheme of things. I have a somewhat niche pallet when it comes to my personal taste in music but I feel like a song has to be REALLY out there for it to actually me out of the skating.

dustyassrocketswitchv

• Rep: -137
« Reply #1562 on: October 20, 2021, 01:27:54 PM »
Justin Henry has weird drip

weird is puting it nicely...mans has no drip
big texas cummer

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 529
« Reply #1563 on: October 20, 2021, 02:06:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

weird is puting it nicely...mans has no drip

He has a different style to you, some people think it looks great. It's not for me but I can see he takes pride in his appearance
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #1564 on: October 20, 2021, 02:50:49 PM »
Also everyone who hated on Berra for “fake spots” is an idiot and has obviously never paid attention to skate videos. 

I won't deny being an idiot but when I was younger I was obsessive about watching skate videos. what other skate videos before skate more have fake spots? As in fully made spots designed to appear real, not just a wooden box or stacked pallets or something. Also doesn't Steve's part has sped up footage in it

Small place rail in France (the one that gets rinsed in Sorry - Bastien nollie heel backlip etc) was put in by skaters
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 86
« Reply #1565 on: October 20, 2021, 03:27:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Also everyone who hated on Berra for “fake spots” is an idiot and has obviously never paid attention to skate videos. 

I won't deny being an idiot but when I was younger I was obsessive about watching skate videos. what other skate videos before skate more have fake spots? As in fully made spots designed to appear real, not just a wooden box or stacked pallets or something. Also doesn't Steve's part has sped up footage in it
[close]

Small place rail in France (the one that gets rinsed in Sorry - Bastien nollie heel backlip etc) was put in by skaters

Isnt the main difference that borra took the rails with him when he was done instead of leaving it for others to skate too. Like how a bondo job is legit but if you take out the bondo after your sesh thats lame.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1180
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1566 on: October 20, 2021, 06:02:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Isnt the main difference that borra took the rails with him when he was done instead of leaving it for others to skate too. Like how a bondo job is legit but if you take out the bondo after your sesh thats lame.

It’s that they were dressed up like legit street shit.  Like he was just going to sneak it right by ya. 

I bet if it was all plain plywood, no one would have made a big deal about it
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #1567 on: October 20, 2021, 06:13:37 PM »
Dan wheatley is the harbinger of death a la that guy that went from es to Gravis in 2012 (Terp? Josh Matthews?)

Is Palace going under?

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1336
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #1568 on: October 20, 2021, 06:39:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

It’s that they were dressed up like legit street shit.  Like he was just going to sneak it right by ya. 

I bet if it was all plain plywood, no one would have made a big deal about it
Berra out here trying to keep SneakySecrets
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1569 on: October 20, 2021, 07:57:33 PM »
Oski is Jay from Mallrat’s doppelgänger same terrible 90’s attire. But don’t get me wrong Oski is one of the only transition rippers I watch and like.

Yonnycage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -89
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1570 on: October 20, 2021, 08:13:46 PM »
Reynold’s style sucks but I acknowledge his legend status. Same with JT. Bowl skating is boring as shit to watch but I respect the skill it takes.

3D X-Ray Vision

« Reply #1571 on: October 20, 2021, 08:16:43 PM »

elbarto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 33
« Reply #1572 on: October 20, 2021, 08:46:46 PM »
Oski is Jay from Mallrat’s doppelgänger same terrible 90’s attire. But don’t get me wrong Oski is one of the only transition rippers I watch and like.

You should expand your knowledge on transition rippers, shit is cash money.
“I’ll whoop your ass with my arm out of socket”

elbarto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 33
« Reply #1573 on: October 20, 2021, 08:48:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
You have to at least give him credit for doing his own thing and not looking like everyone else. But people say I dress weird too so what do I know? I do take pride in having my own style though
[close]

Aren’t dangly Shawn Michaels earrings on trend right now?

I find hooping in Vans to be quite strange, and probably not too comfortable.

Justin Henry dresses trendy as fuck lol I don’t really notice peoples clothes too much but you can’t tell me he’s doing his own thing style wise. Dude rips though and I’m a fan not trying to take away from his skill.
“I’ll whoop your ass with my arm out of socket”

newguy

« Reply #1574 on: October 21, 2021, 03:17:38 AM »
Expand Quote
skateboarding would not exist without exploitation on a global scale. ask yourself are you really as a human entitled to "skate shoes" and all the agony that is embedded in their creation.
[close]

Skateboarding definitely could have existed without exploitation.
But as is, it exists in a consumer capitalist free market. I don’t think anyone here is acting entitled to skate shoes?

Nah people just treat brands like soccer teams these days

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1575 on: October 21, 2021, 07:38:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I definitely don’t mind watching it I just can’t relate much since I’m too risk adverse to engage.

You should expand your knowledge on transition rippers, shit is cash money.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #1576 on: October 21, 2021, 07:40:09 AM »
it’s safer than skating street imo

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1086
« Reply #1577 on: October 21, 2021, 09:36:19 AM »
skateboarding would not exist without exploitation on a global scale. ask yourself are you really as a human entitled to "skate shoes" and all the agony that is embedded in their creation.

It’s really hard to get through to people on this. It’s not as though this means you should take the blackpill and consume nihilistically, but we should acknowledge that we are at the end of a system of exploitation whose scale is unmatched by anything in world history. In such an economic system, arguing about which shoe is ethical to buy is equivalent to arguing about how many angels can dance in the head of a pin.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Loki700

• Rep: 74
« Reply #1578 on: October 21, 2021, 11:15:15 AM »
Expand Quote
There are many different processes for vulcanization, using different chemicals and therefore with different levels of pollution. I could not find easily any remarks about the process being illegal but did see a couple of factories that still do it in Europe

https://tezlashoes.com/about.html
https://www.eurofina.ro/about-us

so I'm inclined to say it's all about the cost of manufacturing that shoes companies don't manufacture in the EU. Vulcanization also requires machinery and chemicals, whereas if you are a small "European footwear manufacturer" you can still order the rubber sole units from China and just sow them on at your factory, making it "manufactured in the EU".

Just like I can order t-shirts made in China, from cotton from Turkey, and print my graphics on and sow some tags and call it "Made in Italy". Oh and how's this for a twist, the factory in Italy is owned and operated by Chinese subcontractor with Chinese employees.

It's a bit sad.

*edit one more https://lakeshoes.es/en/manufacturing/
[close]

i had the same trouble finding hard info on this, so this would confirm my guess that it's not literally banned, but just not really feasable to do anymore, probably due to higher worker safety and environmental standards that require a certain factory standard that perhaps almost no one in europe is willing to keep up for the price.

It's extremely likely that this is the case.  A lot of developing Asian countries are extremely lax on regulations, both from a safety and an environmental standpoint.  To give you an idea, when I went to Shanghai for work, upon landing my lungs actually hurt from the smog.  After an hour I guess my body acclimated and it stopped, but it's legitimately as bad or worse than 1970's Los Angeles.

At my old job, if we needed to do product testing and we were running up against our limit for CO2 production for the year, or if we just had a lot of routine testing, we would just have the testing done at our facility in China because they have no limit.

In the factories over there, a kid was blowing shavings out of parts while sitting on the ground wearing sandals, and blowing the air toward his feet.  Had to be about 14-16 I would guess.  No one over there wore safety glasses, welding face shields, and one guy who was operating a machine to pour aluminum for engine blocks literally reached over to hit a button as the crucible went over his arm.  From what I've heard, production in countries that aren't as developed as China (Vietnam, India, Taiwan, etc.) is even worse.

tl:dr, there's no way that factories in the EU or USA could operate like factories do in developing countries, both from a safety and pollution standpoint.

Capitalism would not exist without exploitation on a global scale. ask yourself are you really as a human entitled to "inexpensive products" and all the agony that is embedded in their creation.

FTFY, but you're not wrong.  Even when stuff was made here, it was rich people taking advantage of poor people to make the skateboard stuff for them.  When labor rates got too high for them to continue to grow their profits for their investors, they went to where there was less regulation so they could pay less for the same thing.  We're starting to run out of other countries that are exploitable enough though.
teslas are the longboards of automobiles

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
« Reply #1579 on: October 21, 2021, 09:01:44 PM »
Vans halfcabs are kinda dumb.
Salman's first shoe should of been just as popular.

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1421
« Reply #1580 on: October 21, 2021, 10:54:28 PM »

WHAT

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1581 on: October 21, 2021, 11:13:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

WHAT

I've had at least 12-15 pairs of halfcabs and being completely honest with myself I'll probably buy more in the future. I just mean when you look at what it actually is it's kind of a dumb shoe.
Midtop but not really. Put it against most low shoes and it's the same height. Panel toe stitching rips and opens up pretty quickly (you don't get this problem on the old skool or era). Some useless extra panels on the side. Can be kind of heavy/bulky for a vulc vans (this depends on the pair tho seems to be lots of variations, not including pros etc)

The Salman comment was less about his shoe design more about Salman himself and that she shoes came out around the same time.

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1582 on: October 21, 2021, 11:16:59 PM »
Half cabs aren’t junk but Salmans first shoe is the best vans Vulc shoe to date

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1583 on: November 07, 2021, 08:05:48 AM »
if i roll away like 15 20 feet and for whatever reason i turn my shoulder weird and just step off the board its a make. if i touch like 5% of my heel or toe but it still looks good and clean without having to shift it around its a make. got big feet and anything past 8.75 takes too much of an effort to flip around everyday. did that before and it wasnt too enjoyable. someone i used to sk8 with wore size 13s and rode an 8. not doing anything like that either it looks disproportionate no diss if anyones doing that

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1584 on: November 07, 2021, 08:38:45 AM »
if i roll away like 15 20 feet and for whatever reason i turn my shoulder weird and just step off the board its a make. if i touch like 5% of my heel or toe but it still looks good and clean without having to shift it around its a make. got big feet and anything past 8.75 takes too much of an effort to flip around everyday. did that before and it wasnt too enjoyable. someone i used to sk8 with wore size 13s and rode an 8. not doing anything like that either it looks disproportionate no diss if anyones doing that

I wear 13s and ride a 7.75 (well I have a few different setups) and it doesn't really make a difference.
compared to my feet adding a half inch-inch doesn't change much . It's like do I have 5 inches of foot overhanging or only 4.75

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1585 on: November 07, 2021, 08:48:57 AM »
thats gnarly i could never do that. you must do things clean as a whistle. the person i described also sk8s super clean. i just try for perfect or if not pretty much perfect without a tictac. rarely i will allow myself a tictac if im over it. maybe like 1 out of 20 things

newguy

« Reply #1586 on: November 17, 2021, 10:24:01 AM »
I already find 8,5 somewhat small and i’m only a EU44,5 what the fuck man.

newguy

« Reply #1587 on: November 17, 2021, 10:28:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
There are many different processes for vulcanization, using different chemicals and therefore with different levels of pollution. I could not find easily any remarks about the process being illegal but did see a couple of factories that still do it in Europe

https://tezlashoes.com/about.html
https://www.eurofina.ro/about-us

so I'm inclined to say it's all about the cost of manufacturing that shoes companies don't manufacture in the EU. Vulcanization also requires machinery and chemicals, whereas if you are a small "European footwear manufacturer" you can still order the rubber sole units from China and just sow them on at your factory, making it "manufactured in the EU".

Just like I can order t-shirts made in China, from cotton from Turkey, and print my graphics on and sow some tags and call it "Made in Italy". Oh and how's this for a twist, the factory in Italy is owned and operated by Chinese subcontractor with Chinese employees.

It's a bit sad.

*edit one more https://lakeshoes.es/en/manufacturing/
[close]

i had the same trouble finding hard info on this, so this would confirm my guess that it's not literally banned, but just not really feasable to do anymore, probably due to higher worker safety and environmental standards that require a certain factory standard that perhaps almost no one in europe is willing to keep up for the price.
[close]

It's extremely likely that this is the case.  A lot of developing Asian countries are extremely lax on regulations, both from a safety and an environmental standpoint.  To give you an idea, when I went to Shanghai for work, upon landing my lungs actually hurt from the smog.  After an hour I guess my body acclimated and it stopped, but it's legitimately as bad or worse than 1970's Los Angeles.

At my old job, if we needed to do product testing and we were running up against our limit for CO2 production for the year, or if we just had a lot of routine testing, we would just have the testing done at our facility in China because they have no limit.

In the factories over there, a kid was blowing shavings out of parts while sitting on the ground wearing sandals, and blowing the air toward his feet.  Had to be about 14-16 I would guess.  No one over there wore safety glasses, welding face shields, and one guy who was operating a machine to pour aluminum for engine blocks literally reached over to hit a button as the crucible went over his arm.  From what I've heard, production in countries that aren't as developed as China (Vietnam, India, Taiwan, etc.) is even worse.

tl:dr, there's no way that factories in the EU or USA could operate like factories do in developing countries, both from a safety and pollution standpoint.

Expand Quote
Capitalism would not exist without exploitation on a global scale. ask yourself are you really as a human entitled to "inexpensive products" and all the agony that is embedded in their creation.
[close]

FTFY, but you're not wrong.  Even when stuff was made here, it was rich people taking advantage of poor people to make the skateboard stuff for them.  When labor rates got too high for them to continue to grow their profits for their investors, they went to where there was less regulation so they could pay less for the same thing.  We're starting to run out of other countries that are exploitable enough though.

I wonder: what happens when we run out of poor places to ruin in order to make things for cheap? Or will the system and society die off before this happens? Or robots? Space aliens?

I’m legit curious, probably robot factories given were making huge strides in robotics atm

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1336
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #1588 on: November 17, 2021, 11:15:05 AM »
You think the global economy is fucked up now, just wait until automation takes over.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 86
« Reply #1589 on: November 17, 2021, 11:20:12 AM »
You think the global economy is fucked up now, just wait until automation takes over.

Yea i heard the cotton gin is going to destroy the economy, watch out for those.