Author Topic: Does saving clips for video parts really have more impact in 2024?  (Read 988 times)

Newphone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -525
Everyone is still shocked that TJ threw that clip on instagram, but it’s 2024 and I’d imagine that reaches way more people (including those who don’t watch full skateboarding parts) and is becoming not just for throwaway footage. 

Do you think it still suggests that someone is sitting on better footage or that the trick is beneath skate part quality in the current social media landscape? I think young guns just think that is the quickest and easiest way to share the clip, and without financial incentive to hold on to the tricks (dvd sales) it’s going to become normal to throw your best stuff on the “gram” now, and already has.

Also, TJ avoiding finding out that Ricky glazier beat him to posting the subway 360 flip, which is the likly outcome if he waited.

Dad Board

• Rep: 85
Re: Does saving clips for video parts really have more impact in 2024?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2024, 12:22:09 PM »
Straight to IG clips seem to be casting the widest net to gain attention from even the most casual fans. Especially if its got any hint of novelty to it e.g. doing a trick over a subway track. Something like that could get millions of views and thousands of shares from people who don’t even follow skateboarding. It’s kinda odd we still even call single parts “parts” I guess its like “hanging up the phone” or “rolling the windows up”

A skate part, or the more uncommon full length video is primarily engrained in keeping with tradition from a time when things moved much slower. I try to keep an open mind but It does feel like things can’t move much faster before they fall apart and need to be rebuilt. Art reflects life I suppose.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2024, 12:33:01 PM by Dad Board »

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2024, 01:08:09 PM »
Straight to IG clips seem to be casting the widest net to gain attention from even the most casual fans. Especially if its got any hint of novelty to it e.g. doing a trick over a subway track. Something like that could get millions of views and thousands of shares from people who don’t even follow skateboarding. It’s kinda odd we still even call single parts “parts” I guess its like “hanging up the phone” or “rolling the windows up”

A skate part, or the more uncommon full length video is primarily engrained in keeping with tradition from a time when things moved much slower. I try to keep an open mind but It does feel like things can’t move much faster before they fall apart and need to be rebuilt. Art reflects life I suppose.

Yes, is very skeuomorphic at this point (the term for that).  I just sort of realized that it’s outdated that we expect clips to be used in combination before they are posted.  TJ is ahead of the curve.

Dad Board

• Rep: 85
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2024, 01:41:43 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yes, is very skeuomorphic at this point (the term for that).  I just sort of realized that it’s outdated that we expect clips to be used in combination before they are posted.  TJ is ahead of the curve.

TJ is doing it his way, which is very much the spirit of skateboarding albeit adapted for a new world. Im 39 so the future of the culture is out of my hands beyond what influence I and people my age or older can provide that the new gen are willing to carry on. Whatever they think is played out or wack won’t make the cut but things go in cycles so maybe full length videos and all the archetypal nuances of the culture that we enjoyed will make their way back in the late 2030’s providing we don’t all burn to death due to planarity heat death or become warlords in a mad max style dystopia. If not at least us old heads had a time when things “were the way we liked them” and will always have that to look back on. VHS skate tube has a lot of gems to get hyped on. I’m not totally pessimistic about the state of skateboarding either, reading this post back it sorta comes across that way. I’m trying to look at it from an objective standpoint but I also grew up in the 90’s and have fond memories of a bygone era so I can’t escape the nostalgia of how dope it was to open up a mag or pop in a new 411 anymore than the next guy.

diplodocus

• Rep: 159
  • long neck
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2024, 10:47:42 PM »
I think saving tricks for parts is still a good thing. It is an intentional flex when you post a trick straight to Instagram. It also shows you might have something better being saved for a part. Gets you wondering. Kinda like how we saw the kickflip cover of Tyshawn kickflipping the subway gap, and then saw him bs flip it in one of his parts at the end of 2022.

whagman

• Rep: -13
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2024, 11:48:44 PM »
Everyone is still shocked that TJ threw that clip on instagram, but it’s 2024 and I’d imagine that reaches way more people (including those who don’t watch full skateboarding parts) and is becoming not just for throwaway footage. 

Do you think it still suggests that someone is sitting on better footage or that the trick is beneath skate part quality in the current social media landscape? I think young guns just think that is the quickest and easiest way to share the clip, and without financial incentive to hold on to the tricks (dvd sales) it’s going to become normal to throw your best stuff on the “gram” now, and already has.

Also, TJ avoiding finding out that Ricky glazier beat him to posting the subway 360 flip, which is the likly outcome if he waited.

you didn’t imagine shit, you just ripped that take from the king thread

Pbn_jake

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 33
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2024, 12:55:20 AM »
I think saving tricks for parts is still a good thing. It is an intentional flex when you post a trick straight to Instagram. It also shows you might have something better being saved for a part. Gets you wondering. Kinda like how we saw the kickflip cover of Tyshawn kickflipping the subway gap, and then saw him bs flip it in one of his parts at the end of 2022.

Wasn’t the kickflip in the part and the bs flip a straight to ig clip announcing he won?

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2024, 03:20:55 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I didn’t see it in there, I’m fact, my observation is novel and groundbreaking (DMs I’ve received since sharing it have used such descriptors as well as “astonishing” and “staggeringly unique”).

Your claim of message board plagiarism is frivolous without citing the original relevant passages from that thread.  I won’t have my academic integrity impugned by baseless claims  brought without commensurate evidence!

Good day sir.

whagman

• Rep: -13
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2024, 10:30:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I didn’t see it in there, I’m fact, my observation is novel and groundbreaking (DMs I’ve received since sharing it have used such descriptors as well as “astonishing” and “staggeringly unique”).

Your claim of message board plagiarism is frivolous without citing the original relevant passages from that thread.  I won’t have my academic integrity impugned by baseless claims  brought without commensurate evidence!

Good day sir.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
the old flex: save it for your part

the new flex: straight to the gram
[close]

yes, I think this is more "strategic" or planned as some people here make it up to be. it creates instant hype, reaches more people (arguably also outside of skateboarding), nonetheless hella hard and I hope he's working on part(s)
[close]
he is racking up literally millions of views on each clip posted to IG. this one's got 1.8 million already.

first quote may 1st

Gram clips get more views than full parts and reach broader audiences. It's an advertiser's wet dream. My wife works in social media marketing and they can pay an influencer $5K for a story and get 2M impressions and ~200K shares OR they can pay that much for a single day ad on a website and get 3M impressions. The shares and engagement are where it's at. Gets and keeps people talking. Whether we like it or not it's more efficient and full lengths are really just for a narrower audience of skaters.

My Dad sent me a picture of TJ ollie'ing over the Ferrari, but he definitely didn't watch Cherry.

Maybe people on Slap don't love King graphics, but I bet once they get more distribution they will become a brand that a lot of kids buy when they're getting one of their first setups just because they've seen a lot of TJ's more "viral" clips.
may 2nd

your post a whole ass 2 days later

Pine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 161
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2024, 10:48:25 AM »
This is an interesting topic because I think about it frequently. I come from the era when video parts and full lengths were everything. I remember anticipating videos years in advanced. Nowadays, even when my favorite skaters drop parts or are featured in a full length I don’t care as much. The over saturation ruined everything.

With that being said, Iv filmed about 13 video parts in my skate life and its just not as motivating anymore. I would say if you ride for a big brand that is paying you big bucks or have connections to get your part on a large platform, you should save your footage and produce something great but personally I think its cool to show my friends/audience something I was proud of doing that day. But hey what do I know, some people still film parts just for their own personal satisfaction.

Yakusoku2

• Rep: 44
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2024, 10:54:29 AM »
Not a fan of vertical videos so I hope we can enjoy his trick in a better shot

nollieboulala

• Rep: 6
  • fuckin wheel fell off
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2024, 10:56:15 AM »
I'm pretty sure no one's gonna scroll back hundreds of posts in 10 years to watch single IG clips (if IG is even around). So bundling your best skating into part form that will last and be revisit-able in a decade or two still makes the most sense to me. That said, it's clear you can make a lane and be all good in skating without doing that anymore, but I think your impact will be forgotten if your whole existence was IG centric and IG goes the way of myspace.

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2024, 04:30:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Good day sir.
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
the old flex: save it for your part

the new flex: straight to the gram
[close]

yes, I think this is more "strategic" or planned as some people here make it up to be. it creates instant hype, reaches more people (arguably also outside of skateboarding), nonetheless hella hard and I hope he's working on part(s)
[close]
he is racking up literally millions of views on each clip posted to IG. this one's got 1.8 million already.
[close]

first quote may 1st

Expand Quote
Gram clips get more views than full parts and reach broader audiences. It's an advertiser's wet dream. My wife works in social media marketing and they can pay an influencer $5K for a story and get 2M impressions and ~200K shares OR they can pay that much for a single day ad on a website and get 3M impressions. The shares and engagement are where it's at. Gets and keeps people talking. Whether we like it or not it's more efficient and full lengths are really just for a narrower audience of skaters.

My Dad sent me a picture of TJ ollie'ing over the Ferrari, but he definitely didn't watch Cherry.

Maybe people on Slap don't love King graphics, but I bet once they get more distribution they will become a brand that a lot of kids buy when they're getting one of their first setups just because they've seen a lot of TJ's more "viral" clips.
[close]
may 2nd

your post a whole ass 2 days later

I said good day!

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2024, 04:45:37 PM »

thanks to the dern bros i learned that rowley had a clip from 97 in his sorry part, 5 years is a long time to sit on a clip

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2024, 04:47:12 PM »
This is an interesting topic because I think about it frequently. I come from the era when video parts and full lengths were everything. I remember anticipating videos years in advanced. Nowadays, even when my favorite skaters drop parts or are featured in a full length I don’t care as much. The over saturation ruined everything.

With that being said, Iv filmed about 13 video parts in my skate life and its just not as motivating anymore. I would say if you ride for a big brand that is paying you big bucks or have connections to get your part on a large platform, you should save your footage and produce something great but personally I think its cool to show my friends/audience something I was proud of doing that day. But hey what do I know, some people still film parts just for their own personal satisfaction.

We used to wait for it, Now we're screaming sing the chorus again