Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 210436 times)

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #3300 on: May 13, 2023, 07:25:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What type of trucks do y'all think work best with streep kicks? For example a habitat twin nose shape?
[close]

Venture is always the answer. Get on board with the team. You won't regret it for more than a week.
[close]

Can't agree with this and hated Venture with steep or short kicks. I'd go with something lighter like a Thunder or Forged Indy personally.

I was gonna say thunder too, I don't like steep boards so thunders would mellow things out. 

Basingstoke

• Rep: 34

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #3302 on: May 13, 2023, 08:47:39 AM »
https://freedomskateshop.at/en/blogs/skate-tech/wheelbase-und-trucks

That's so sick. Thank you and huuuge shoutout to freedom skateshop in vienna!

Also a big DAMN about the AF1 hollow wheelbase. Are they actually different? I feel like people on slap would know that by now

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
« Reply #3303 on: May 13, 2023, 09:57:43 AM »
where can i get shovel nose blanks at? something like a hockey or alien workshop

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #3304 on: May 13, 2023, 10:41:02 AM »
Did anyone else notice that kid Kane's band did a Tesla commercial.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 468
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3305 on: May 13, 2023, 10:50:45 AM »
where can i get shovel nose blanks at? something like a hockey or alien workshop

Any shop that works through Eastern Skate Supply can get PS Stix blanks. Maybe your local can order it for you? You want the square shape.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #3306 on: May 13, 2023, 01:12:58 PM »

Also a big DAMN about the AF1 hollow wheelbase. Are they actually different? I feel like people on slap would know that by now

There’s a few red flags in those measurements. ^ That was the first one I spotted. I find it hard to believe that an AF1 Standard and Hollow have different geo. Same with Indy Forged Hollow and forged Titanium; only difference in those two models is the axle, and they measured a 1/4 in. wheelbase difference? I can almost guarantee that one is bogus. 4 different measurements on 5 sets of Thunders? Probably not, unless the measurements were taken across a random range of Thunder hanger sizes?

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 519
« Reply #3307 on: May 13, 2023, 01:17:28 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

There’s a few red flags in those measurements. ^ That was the first one I spotted. I find it hard to believe that an AF1 Standard and Hollow have different geo. Same with Indy Forged Hollow and forged Titanium; only difference in those two models is the axle, and they measured a 1/4 in. wheelbase difference? I can almost guarantee that one is bogus. 4 different measurements on 5 sets of Thunders? Probably not, unless the measurements were taken across a random range of Thunder hanger sizes?

There's probably some measurement error, but also how new/old the bushings are and how much they're cranked down can affect the wheelbase. I think moral of the story is that our perception of things matters probably just as much as some of these tiny variances

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3308 on: May 13, 2023, 04:55:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Do forged indies really make a longer wheelbase than cast thunders? Both are somwhere between +3.12 and +3.18 right? My team thunders are around +3.15
[close]

i found this

@Mbrimson88
I'm pretty sure there is a thread somewhere that list how much each type of trucks affects wheelbase.
Do you know where please ?

Tagged you in it, but this one, WB on your trucks.  Often doesn't come up with only WB and not WHEELBASE word.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=108580.0

I had always thought Thunders are still longer in everything than any Indy variant.

Ace, then Indy, then Thunder, then Venture in every option of their trucks, but I can see from that list that they are very close / even on a couple of options.

Exact measurements vary, but that is from me putting those trucks on the same decks side by side for comparison.

I think the reality is people are often going to come up with different measurements with different trucks, so that is not a worry to me really.

More than anything it is the feel of the different trucks that get me, eg some feel better than others, even though I have some of everything set up on boards for people to try and see what works for them.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #3309 on: May 14, 2023, 02:37:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Do forged indies really make a longer wheelbase than cast thunders? Both are somwhere between +3.12 and +3.18 right? My team thunders are around +3.15
[close]

i found this

@Mbrimson88
I'm pretty sure there is a thread somewhere that list how much each type of trucks affects wheelbase.
Do you know where please ?
[close]

Tagged you in it, but this one, WB on your trucks.  Often doesn't come up with only WB and not WHEELBASE word.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=108580.0

I had always thought Thunders are still longer in everything than any Indy variant.

Ace, then Indy, then Thunder, then Venture in every option of their trucks, but I can see from that list that they are very close / even on a couple of options.

Exact measurements vary, but that is from me putting those trucks on the same decks side by side for comparison.

I think the reality is people are often going to come up with different measurements with different trucks, so that is not a worry to me really.

More than anything it is the feel of the different trucks that get me, eg some feel better than others, even though I have some of everything set up on boards for people to try and see what works for them.
Fixed :)
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3310 on: May 14, 2023, 02:49:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

i found this

[close]

[close]
Fixed :)

Some others I had talked to about wheelbase in the shop were saying they thought that Freedom Skateshop list was incorrect, so it might be a funny one there.

At least giving your Wheelbase thread a refresh is good as people had been looking for it before too.

:)

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
« Reply #3311 on: May 14, 2023, 06:58:45 AM »
How's the sizing of the Memory Screen hoodies compared to say Polar (both are made in Portugal, same factory?)?

FGO925

• Rep: 20
« Reply #3312 on: May 14, 2023, 12:46:55 PM »
I don’t get how this happens, but I blow through bushings and pivots cups insanely quick.

Bought some riptide pivot cups which were great. Quieted some of the squeak, and felt nice. Within a couple weeks one of them is already ripped..
Same with bushings, put in some new thunder bushings and my front truck top bushing is already blowing out. I don’t ride my trucks all that loose (maybe a thread showing but mostly flush) and I’m not heavy at all at 160lbs. Super frustrating as I’ll feel the broken bushing. Makes it feel less stable and too loose. I also had an issue where the nut would keep loosening up and almost falling off, yet I would tighten the truck down where it was far far beyond finger loose.

I’ve noticed the standard cupped washer on thunders binds a lot and I have scrape marks all over the inside near the kingpin/top bolt cavity area. Maybe the cupped washer is what’s causing this? I’ll throw on some flat tops with new bushings and see how long that lasts.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 775
« Reply #3313 on: May 14, 2023, 01:58:32 PM »
long shot but has anyone on here skated the cariuma mike v shoe? supposedly it’s made out of some synthetic material that’s more durable than regular suede, i wonder what it is and if any other companies use something similar.
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3314 on: May 14, 2023, 02:25:12 PM »
I don’t get how this happens, but I blow through bushings and pivots cups insanely quick.

Bought some riptide pivot cups which were great. Quieted some of the squeak, and felt nice. Within a couple weeks one of them is already ripped..
Same with bushings, put in some new thunder bushings and my front truck top bushing is already blowing out. I don’t ride my trucks all that loose (maybe a thread showing but mostly flush) and I’m not heavy at all at 160lbs. Super frustrating as I’ll feel the broken bushing. Makes it feel less stable and too loose. I also had an issue where the nut would keep loosening up and almost falling off, yet I would tighten the truck down where it was far far beyond finger loose.

I’ve noticed the standard cupped washer on thunders binds a lot and I have scrape marks all over the inside near the kingpin/top bolt cavity area. Maybe the cupped washer is what’s causing this? I’ll throw on some flat tops with new bushings and see how long that lasts.

On top this happens with Thunder and Venture especially if you do lots of slappies. It depends on how much you pinch the hanger and how loose they are. I had more issues when I rode them looser. Ventures do it way worse.

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #3315 on: May 14, 2023, 03:59:49 PM »
long shot but has anyone on here skated the cariuma mike v shoe? supposedly it’s made out of some synthetic material that’s more durable than regular suede, i wonder what it is and if any other companies use something similar.
Emerica Dixon shoe has a synthetic vegan model. And the nyjah shoes are made out of some type of rubber.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3317 on: May 14, 2023, 06:22:53 PM »
Local mall shop just got a shitload of cliché decks in. Wth is going on?
https://www.blue-tomato.com/en-AT/products/brand/Cliche-590/categories/Skate+Shop-00000015--Skateboards-00000016--Skateboard+Decks-00000017/gender/men/?sort=-isnew%2C-newest_first

The brand Cliche has come and gone a fair bit after being incorporated into Dwindle and they have been bringing out a few here and there over the years.  They are still owned by Dwindle, and made in DSM woodshop, so it would make sense that they would bring out generic graphics of their umbrella of brands, no pro models and just "money makers" for the corporate owners now.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3318 on: May 14, 2023, 10:24:10 PM »
You sure they are owned by dwindle?  Why don’t they distribute them? 

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3319 on: May 14, 2023, 11:06:02 PM »

I think you might find more answers between this:

https://dwindle.com/home/tag/Clich%C3%A9+Skateboards

And this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clich%C3%A9_Skateboards

Cliché Skateboards was a skateboard company based in Lyon, France, and distributed by the American company Dwindle Distribution. The company was established in 1997 by French professional skateboarder Jeremie Daclin. In 2001, Cliché was purchased by the France-based Salomon Group which in 2005 became a part of Amer Sports. In 2009, US-based Dwindle Distribution purchased the company from the Salomon Group. In November 2016, Dwindle announced that they would be discontinuing the brand.

I know not to trust everything you read on the internet, but Dwindle bought the rights to Cliche and then pretty much dropped the brand when they were cutting back, but they still owned it and every now and then they would release some generic boards and graphics - the AU distro has had a few on occasion, but it has never been pushed and more just random stock.

The pics from that listing, which are really good, show the tops to be Dwindle wood for sure, so unless someone else now has them, I would say it is part of the corporate ownership just doing their thing and re releasing whatever they can that doesn't involve any royalties to anyone like pro dudes, or artists or anyone else, as they don't seem like new graphics too.

Of course I could be wrong - happy to be corrected if anyone does know anything more about the brand - but that seemed to be the case back when things went the way they did, especially with new owners of Dwindle trying to milk as much as they can from the company and any brands they have under them.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 775
« Reply #3320 on: May 14, 2023, 11:27:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Emerica Dixon shoe has a synthetic vegan model. And the nyjah shoes are made out of some type of rubber.

yeah but the cariumas are made out of some vegan suede that is supposed to be 3 times as durable as regular suede, and i wonder if they came up with it or if it’s available for other companies to use too.
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Boog

« Reply #3321 on: May 15, 2023, 05:17:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

yeah but the cariumas are made out of some vegan suede that is supposed to be 3 times as durable as regular suede, and i wonder if they came up with it or if it’s available for other companies to use too.
That I couldn't tell you. But if you can't find something similar you can try the others. They are more durable than suede and look better .

Boog

« Reply #3322 on: May 15, 2023, 05:19:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
That I couldn't tell you. But if you can't find something similar you can try the others. They are more durable than suede and look better .
Look better than cariuma that is.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #3323 on: May 15, 2023, 05:37:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]
Look better than cariuma that is.
Anybody buying Cariumas deserves several kicks on the balls and
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3324 on: May 15, 2023, 06:10:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think you might find more answers between this:

https://dwindle.com/home/tag/Clich%C3%A9+Skateboards

And this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clich%C3%A9_Skateboards

Cliché Skateboards was a skateboard company based in Lyon, France, and distributed by the American company Dwindle Distribution. The company was established in 1997 by French professional skateboarder Jeremie Daclin. In 2001, Cliché was purchased by the France-based Salomon Group which in 2005 became a part of Amer Sports. In 2009, US-based Dwindle Distribution purchased the company from the Salomon Group. In November 2016, Dwindle announced that they would be discontinuing the brand.

I know not to trust everything you read on the internet, but Dwindle bought the rights to Cliche and then pretty much dropped the brand when they were cutting back, but they still owned it and every now and then they would release some generic boards and graphics - the AU distro has had a few on occasion, but it has never been pushed and more just random stock.

The pics from that listing, which are really good, show the tops to be Dwindle wood for sure, so unless someone else now has them, I would say it is part of the corporate ownership just doing their thing and re releasing whatever they can that doesn't involve any royalties to anyone like pro dudes, or artists or anyone else, as they don't seem like new graphics too.

Of course I could be wrong - happy to be corrected if anyone does know anything more about the brand - but that seemed to be the case back when things went the way they did, especially with new owners of Dwindle trying to milk as much as they can from the company and any brands they have under them.

Yeah, I knew they owned them but hadn’t seen anything for awhile, so I thought they had rather sold the brand or these were bootlegs.  I hadn’t known Dwindle to do anything other than the known brands so it surprised me. 

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #3325 on: May 15, 2023, 09:15:24 AM »
Tagging big brands on Instagram - yes, or no?
Why and why not?

Just wondering, cause I see this often.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3326 on: May 15, 2023, 04:34:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Yeah, I knew they owned them but hadn’t seen anything for awhile, so I thought they had rather sold the brand or these were bootlegs.  I hadn’t known Dwindle to do anything other than the known brands so it surprised me.

You are not the only one there - the same thing came up elsewhere  a while back, maybe in store and that was more or less the answer that was given from someone who was in the know.

The shop I was in had just received a whole lot of budget beginner looking Cliche completes, just same generic logos on re release at the time, all through Dwindle Dist too.

I think right now, the current owners are of the mind to pay as little as possible for anything while still trying to get as much as they can out of any known brand under their control.

To me, with that in mind, it all makes sense.

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -300
« Reply #3327 on: May 15, 2023, 05:48:03 PM »
Tagging big brands on Instagram - yes, or no?
Why and why not?

Just wondering, cause I see this often.

Unless you got a box from them, no. Nobody running a brand cares if Timmy from Iowa tags Polar when he sets up a board.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3328 on: May 16, 2023, 03:50:44 AM »
anyone have good ideas for portable shade? need to find some sort of umbrella + stand that fits into my trunk... everything i own is way too big :(  maybe some sort of tent would make more sense? trying not to spend over $100 on it either if possible

why dont skate parks ever have shade... id trade 3 of my local skateparks to have the smallest one covered.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3329 on: May 16, 2023, 07:17:37 AM »
what would you guys say is the most soapy setup possible for noseslides?

Spitfire Classic 50mm, 101a

Venture Trucks? Do they have the chonkiest baseplate? Do you want a chunkier baseplate, or forged? All I know is, you don't want Thunders, the wheels drag way too much.

Shape of the nose > Would you want more Spoon? Im thinking less friction (and also better for popping up to crook which is the whole point of this setup in the first place) probably would have to be steep kick BBS Board