Author Topic: Least Stupidest Thing You’ve Ever Bought  (Read 4672 times)

Easy Slider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
Re: Least Stupidest Thing You’ve Ever Bought
« Reply #90 on: February 23, 2022, 12:52:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Squat rack, weights and a bench. I will never step foot in a gym again.
[close]

all solid choices...i actually did pretty much the same a year or so back, only with a dip rack--here's a link to it by the way, the fucker's as sturdy as it gets:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016R07U0E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

with regards to never going to the gym again, i kind of thought the same, but have come up against two main issues:

first, i need to do far more cardio than i am doing (i'm 50 by the way), and to purchase any kind of actually durable and reliable cardio equipment, requires spending a lot of money

second, i've found that i'm not as consistent with my regiment without the destination that a gym is.

i never stopped paying my monthly bill at the Powerhouse i belong to (one might call that the stupidest money i've spent, but it is family owned, and they are good people who have been struggling, so maybe not), even though i have not been there since the pandemic started changing everything. i've been struggling with myself to go back--i actually told myself i was going to start back up this week, but i am still nervous, and flaked so far. i can't imagine working out with a mask on...

edit: come to think of it, anybody in here have any advice about masks for working out? whether it's experience with masks a the gym or athletic masks that you've purchased that worked well?
[close]

can't speak to the masks when working out, but for the past 5 months I have been experimenting with limiting inhalation and exhalation while running my daily mile. I breathe only through the nose. No gulping for air and no big exhales. Although I'm getting faster, this practice does limit my speed (9.5min mile with nose breathing, whereas today I did mouth breathing and knocked it down to 8min). I say this because such controlled and limited breathing mimics breathing in an N95. slow and steady

Out of curiosity why would you do that, what‘s the benefit?
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1431
« Reply #91 on: February 23, 2022, 06:49:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

all solid choices...i actually did pretty much the same a year or so back, only with a dip rack--here's a link to it by the way, the fucker's as sturdy as it gets:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016R07U0E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

with regards to never going to the gym again, i kind of thought the same, but have come up against two main issues:

first, i need to do far more cardio than i am doing (i'm 50 by the way), and to purchase any kind of actually durable and reliable cardio equipment, requires spending a lot of money

second, i've found that i'm not as consistent with my regiment without the destination that a gym is.

i never stopped paying my monthly bill at the Powerhouse i belong to (one might call that the stupidest money i've spent, but it is family owned, and they are good people who have been struggling, so maybe not), even though i have not been there since the pandemic started changing everything. i've been struggling with myself to go back--i actually told myself i was going to start back up this week, but i am still nervous, and flaked so far. i can't imagine working out with a mask on...

edit: come to think of it, anybody in here have any advice about masks for working out? whether it's experience with masks a the gym or athletic masks that you've purchased that worked well?
[close]

can't speak to the masks when working out, but for the past 5 months I have been experimenting with limiting inhalation and exhalation while running my daily mile. I breathe only through the nose. No gulping for air and no big exhales. Although I'm getting faster, this practice does limit my speed (9.5min mile with nose breathing, whereas today I did mouth breathing and knocked it down to 8min). I say this because such controlled and limited breathing mimics breathing in an N95. slow and steady
[close]

Decades ago it was thought as an easy way to supplement training at altitude. Since then evidence has come out showing you don’t get the same benefit of a higher red blood cell count and adaptation to breathing thinner air. What it can do though is condition you mentally to know your limits by getting your mind in tune with your respiratory system so you can back off if you’re going to hard.

The mask producers claim it loads your respiratory system strengthening lung muscles, but the studies don’t support their claims.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #92 on: February 23, 2022, 01:17:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Decades ago it was thought as an easy way to supplement training at altitude. Since then evidence has come out showing you don’t get the same benefit of a higher red blood cell count and adaptation to breathing thinner air. What it can do though is condition you mentally to know your limits by getting your mind in tune with your respiratory system so you can back off if you’re going to hard.

The mask producers claim it loads your respiratory system strengthening lung muscles, but the studies don’t support their claims.

Wow, thanks for the explanation.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #93 on: February 26, 2022, 01:08:52 PM »
Got some EpiPens the other week. Peace of mind is nice.  :)
Maybe you know, maybe you don't. I think a lot of people that need epi pens don't realize that there are 5 full doses in one pen. Here's how you can get all of them when you need them:

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #94 on: February 26, 2022, 03:59:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Got some EpiPens the other week. Peace of mind is nice.  :)
[close]
Maybe you know, maybe you don't. I think a lot of people that need epi pens don't realize that there are 5 full doses in one pen. Here's how you can get all of them when you need them:

That’s great to know. It’s too bad you have to dissect the thing and cut your hand open in the process. Why can’t they make it like an actual pen, click the top, use it again? Probably money.

boogs

« Reply #95 on: February 27, 2022, 09:33:24 AM »
a case for my dart set

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1486
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #96 on: February 27, 2022, 09:57:28 AM »
My kids have food allergies so I'm familiar with epipens and appreciate that info.

Also, hold onto expired epipens because they are better than nothing if an emergency happens because they still have epinephrine years after their expiration. Up 70% after 5 - 7 years.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/expired-epipen-82701

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1406
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #97 on: February 27, 2022, 05:16:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

builds stamina, no cramping.

breathing through the nose, period, some say is better for you than mouth breathing. if for no other reason that feeling calm and kicking into the parasympathetic nervous system.

there are theories about nose breathing and the shape of the contemporary human mouth, misaligned teeth, etc. Another story though.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty