Author Topic: New Radiohead Album  (Read 5926 times)

monster network

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
New Radiohead Album
« on: October 01, 2007, 02:20:16 AM »
http://www.inrainbows.com/Store/Quickindex.html

pre-order it electronically for whatever price you like

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1178
Re: New Radiohead Album
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 03:05:26 AM »
the future of the record industry (major label):
hardly art, hardly starving

stagefright

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -47
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 03:57:56 AM »
i highly doubt that. the album giant box of mu$ic doesnt come out for another couple months. so all they are doing is releasing the leak themselves, and trying to charge money for it. if people for some reason deviate from just downloading it for free to paying for a leak, id be really surprised. its cool that they are trying it, but its not really going to amount to shit. the fact that they are not even on a label doesnt help, its going to be a financial flop but i bet its methods will be praised
we toked a marley and i split back to the park, minding my own busineess when a rollerblader mean mugs..i let it go.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 04:38:48 AM »
i think it will set a precedent. if you think about all the people that get cut out with this type of distribution, the band will probably do just as good. don't bands usually just get pennies of each disc they sell? i'd guess average donation would be between 5-10 bucks which would equal a shit load of revenue for the band by compairison to the old model per unit.

art helman called it

it's been long overdue but this is definitely a sign of the end of the over bloat of the record industry. if you like pop, pay for the machine but if you like real music, i don't see why it can't be produced and distributed independently of the industry.

Noboru

• Rep: 8
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 09:51:52 PM »
haha I am guessing this is their last album.  Very well done though, they practice what they preach.  I will probably buy the discbox set.

stagefright

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -47
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 11:43:31 PM »
so much comes from publications and media though, by giving 10 days notice you completely eliminate all print mags which require at least 3 months advance to get a review to come out in synch with a release date. they are going solely off of word of mouth and this intense 10 day period or whatever, no new fans will be made through this, just the die hards will buy it and they would be doing that anyway. im still glad they did it though, even though i dont really care about them
we toked a marley and i split back to the park, minding my own busineess when a rollerblader mean mugs..i let it go.

brooklyn brawler

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 12:13:46 AM »
I've probably donated more money to open-source software, than purchased boxed software alone.

The only CD's I buy are online. I like the idea of this, and really can't predict it. If iTunes can rule the game their way, I really want to see what happens from this.

bentmode

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Da$h
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 06:27:19 PM »
im pretty psyched, appearantly you can pay as much as you want. radiohead is one of those bands that deserves the money.
Han solo blew up the Death Star in Episode 4.  Heard it from a friend.  Reliable source.

marty.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 07:11:21 PM »
I'm really curious to see what it breaks down to when they divide the total amount made on this album by the amount of people that downloaded it. I'm guessing the fact that their is gonna be a ton of people that download it just because they can is gonna skew the numbers lower.
8)

yeah dude!

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 07:40:03 PM »
I find it funny the one album I would no doubt pay money for I'm able to get for whatever price I want.
Come December though I'm sure I'll buy the box set too.

brooklyn brawler

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 11:12:14 PM »
Well, if you think of it, they're losing nothing except bandwidth. There's no middleman, so the money goes straight to them right for their hard work.

When people like Kanye grab $billions in album sales, he only got a fraction of it. If he got what his fans thought he deserved, he'd probably still be just as rich, since the only people who buy CD's like that have enough disposable income to make bad purchases like that. I'm not saying his loyal fans are wasting money, but I'm talking about the majority of fans that will buy anything they see shiny on a billboard. If the billboard said "Donate $20 through Paypal", they would probably do it, but find it a burden to have to learn how to use Paypal.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1178
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2007, 11:27:20 PM »
Reznor is gonna follow Radiohead's lead.......it'll be interesting to see who else decides to the same

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/news/46231-reznor-hammers-another-nail-in-the-industrys-coffin
hardly art, hardly starving

TheFrontSeatLife

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2007, 02:21:17 AM »
If only all the musicians used this method. Major labels are fucked.

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • S&H
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2007, 07:32:37 AM »
If only all the musicians used this method. Major labels are fucked.

Most people in the industry of music aren't really musicians. Most are hype pawns who have 'orders'.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2007, 08:05:35 AM »
for now, it seems like mainly bands with large fan bases could get away with selling this way. but i could imagine that before long there would be a place like pitchfork that would allow bands to sell their music off their sites. that would allow unknown bands to sell directly but without something like that it'd be real tricky for newer bands to sale this way.

Vlade Divac

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2007, 03:31:35 PM »
I've listened to this three times today. It is REALLY REALLY good.
"Whitley is filet mignon.  Vlade is spam."

Noboru

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2007, 05:12:20 PM »

jrock

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2007, 05:25:42 PM »
Even with millions of people getting it for free, they're still going to make waaaaay more money than by going through the record company. 

brooklyn brawler

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2007, 10:26:09 PM »
I tried getting this today. The server was sooooo slow. Anyway, I'm buying it now. I'll tell you what I think in 24 hours.

brooklyn brawler

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2007, 10:26:37 PM »
Maybe 36 hours. I'm kind of drunk and can't find my credit card.

alexx

• Rep: 10
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2007, 05:55:40 AM »
pretty solid album. it's been years since i went through my radiohead phase but this was surprisingly good in some places. a lot better than HTTT but that wouldn't be to hard to top anyway.

brooklyn brawler

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2007, 12:36:05 PM »
I gave em $5. That's how much I figure it's worth for any album.They charged me an extra 50 cents for using my credit card when checking out. I think $5 was worth not putting that price on there.

Lurkenstock

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2007, 01:15:15 PM »
I paid one pound for this album.
I think that's like 42 dollars in the U.S. these days, god our money is so worthless over there.

Anyway, the album is really good, I hope they come out with a regular CD that's not that expensive box thingy that they're putting out because I would definitely buy it in the store if and when they put it out on a label.

cold budweisers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2007, 03:23:21 PM »
it's bad.

yeah dude!

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2007, 05:01:53 PM »

brooklyn brawler

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2007, 07:28:37 PM »
Could you imagine if there was an acual law where only Discmen and Walkmen were the only allowable music devices?

People would look like such hosers.

marty.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2007, 07:34:00 PM »
Could you imagine if there was an acual law where only Discmen and Walkmen were the only allowable music devices?

People would look like such hosers.

I saw my first black juggalo ever lurking outside of Border's today with a discman. He had on ICP pajama pants and a matching hoodie.
8)

brooklyn brawler

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2007, 07:53:27 PM »
We have the pre-facepaint juggalos here. Way too many actually. I walked into one of their bars and it was probably the most amazing thing I've ever seen. Like, people actually THINK they're vampires there. It's like those parties in Blade.

Speaking of Spines and Discmen. The only people who look really awesome with Discmen are big black guys. You know for a fact that they pop in the disc and listen to the WHOLE CD. Not just one or two songs, but the WHOLE CD, and fucking love it.

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2007, 08:50:04 PM »
First Cd i bought in years. gave em 8 bucks. hope its good, im sure it will atleast be decent

Noboru

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2007, 10:10:44 PM »
they pop in the disc and listen to the WHOLE CD. Not just one or two songs, but the WHOLE CD, and fucking love it.

Is it so odd? I am a blond white male living in nyc, I use a pair of Grado SR-80s and always listen to a CD(discman, I don't own an ipod) the whole way through, and no I'm not a stylefag/hipster.

...I always thought albums are supposed to be listened the whole way through.