Author Topic: Independent Trucks Mid  (Read 75464 times)

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
Re: Independent Trucks Mid
« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2020, 12:33:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
arance fucking method (looking at you Royal) to sell an inverted kingpin stock?

Height and shitty kingpin aside, I wonder if they touched the geo? Shield/cross moniker suggests a change in geo as previously seen from s10 -> s11
[close]
A new height/new truck will obviously not have the same geo? What do you mean?
[close]

::)
Gawd, this forum....a change to the geo that alters the feel/turn, not just the fucking height of the trucks... you know, like they did with Vs, VIIIs, Xs, XIs...

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
It seems like Indy are just wanting to be the laughing stock of the skate industry
[close]
[close]

Expand Quote
Ok dumb question. Are mids just standard indys or is it a step below standard? I think inverted kingpins are ugly but I do think they are effective. What’s everyone saying is ugly about them the king pin? This isn’t like the new Indy stage is it?
[close]

We don't know anything about them. Pics show a cast plate and the M so we can assume it's a regular indy but lower.

Yes, the kingpin is ugly and chances are has shit grind clearance (it's the same pin style that Royal uses and has little clearance; granted Film does as well and has decent clearance, so who knows.).

Unless they change the turning geo, it's still an XI to me lowering the truck just makes them Stage IX Mids or lows.
That's my thought. The last part, not the laughing stock part, wtf lol.

satan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 38
« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2020, 03:25:18 PM »
Indy stages
https://www.skullandbonesskateboards.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=118665

http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2018/05/08/look-cult-independent-trucks/

I've only seen 1 set of Stage IV's in person. Was a long time ago but I don't remember a height difference vs Stage V.
Stage V-VIII were the same height. And I have a tough time telling any of these apart, other than Stage VIII baseplates..
Stage IX they goofed and changed the height by accident, 55mm to 53.5mm.
Stage X returned the height to 55mm? Or was that Mk II?
Mk II did open up the area around the yoke and Indy said geo change so I'd expect the height change here.
Stage XI is the same geo as Mk II? Just opened up the yoke even more?
Did I get that all correct?

What stage were the old lows? And have they always changed when the regular trucks changed?
Ok, so this new low, they're calling it a mid. And I keep wondering why they never used a forged baseplate..
Someone said maybe 52-53mm high. I think that's too close to forged height, and lows will just turn worse.
Old lows are 48.5mm, right? Add 1.5mm. I'm guessing 50mm height for cast baseplate, 48.5mm for forged.
This should improve the geo and make em carvier, and could also give more kingpin clearance. (Lowering a regular truck is also a geo change)
I'm not saying a similar thing will happen to regular Indy's.

Inverted kingpin? Idk. Maybe they're feeling pressure from da Kang?
Lil bit better kingpin clearance.
I wonder how they're holding it in, probably a nut. A splined rivet nut from the bottom would be nice but idk if that'd also work with regular kingpins.
Btw, when ppl complain about kingpin clearance I look at a set of Stage 8's and just laugh.

And WTF?!? Just realizing this now..
A 189 mid?
The superwide, low truck no one ever asked for?
Maybe mids are gonna be in the 52-53mm range?
Maybe mids are targeting Ace height and will turn well?

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #92 on: January 28, 2020, 03:46:38 PM »
Indy stages

I've only seen 1 set of Stage IV's in person. Was a long time ago but I don't remember a height difference vs Stage V.
Stage V-VIII were the same height. And I have a tough time telling any of these apart, other than Stage VIII baseplates..
Mk II did open up the area around the yoke and Indy said geo change so I'd expect the height change here.

What stage were the old lows? And have they always changed when the regular trucks changed?
Ok, so this new low, they're calling it a mid. And I keep wondering why they never used a forged baseplate..
Someone said maybe 52-53mm high. I think that's too close to forged height, and lows will just turn worse.
Old lows are 48.5mm, right? Add 1.5mm. I'm guessing 50mm height for cast baseplate, 48.5mm for forged.
This should improve the geo and make em carvier, and could also give more kingpin clearance. (Lowering a regular truck is also a geo change)

I wonder how they're holding it in, probably a nut. A splined rivet nut from the bottom would be nice but idk if that'd also work with regular kingpins.
Btw, when ppl complain about kingpin clearance I look at a set of Stage 8's and just laugh.

A 189 mid?

Stage V and VI can be hard to tell apart, but VII and VIII's are easy. VII's are the first ones to have holes for both old school and new school bolts (so first 6 hole baseplate) with the clunkier looking hanger from V's and VI's. VIII's are the first ones to have the iron cross on the baseplate and the last ones to feature the vertical USA stamp on the bottom (VIII's are by far the easiest to identify because of those two things).

Stage VII-IX were 53mm. I have a set of VIII's and IX's and they're about the same height as XI forged. The Jenkem article muddied the waters when they said XI's are a return to 55mm height of VII and VIII's, simply not the case. Maybe pre stage VII's were 55mm? Don't know, but all the 90's and 2000's era Indy's were definitely not 55mm tall.

The last era of the Stage X's are just stage XI's, bigger yoke and taller overall height. They caught shit twice in a row with IX's (they broke easily) and X's (barely turned).

Think the 189 thing was a joke, likely just 139's with a terrible photo angle.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 03:48:25 PM by palelight »

satan

« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2020, 04:06:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Indy stages

A 189 mid?

[close]

Stage V and VI can be hard to tell apart, but VII and VIII's are easy. VII's are the first ones to have holes for both old school and new school bolts (so first 6 hole baseplate) with the clunkier looking hanger from V's and VI's. VIII's are the first ones to have the iron cross on the baseplate and the last ones to feature the vertical USA stamp on the bottom (VIII's are by far the easiest to identify because of those two things).

Stage VII-IX were 53mm. I have a set of VIII's and IX's and they're about the same height as XI forged. The Jenkem article muddied the waters when they said XI's are a return to 55mm height of VII and VIII's, simply not the case. Maybe pre stage VII's were 55mm? Don't know, but all the 90's and 2000's era Indy's were definitely not 55mm tall.

The last era of the Stage X's are just stage XI's, bigger yoke and taller overall height. They caught shit twice in a row with IX's (they broke easily) and X's (barely turned).

Think the 189 thing was a joke, likely just 139's with a terrible photo angle.

Lol. TBH I completely forget about the baseplate holes  ::)

I thought older Indy's were 55mm but now I vaguely remember measuring lightly used Stage 8's and I think they're 53mm.
Maybe lower than the new cast Indy's I have? I should double check that..
I wonder where Jenkem got their height info.

2mm sounds huge but then when I think of it as 0.080" I'm a lil meh.
But then I go back to 2mm sounding huge. That's like 4mm bigger wheels!

I thought I maybe misread 139 too but there's a glint of light that really highlights the 8. Idk, maybe I'm seeing things?

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #94 on: January 28, 2020, 04:23:32 PM »
I thought I maybe misread 139 too but there's a glint of light that really highlights the 8. Idk, maybe I'm seeing things?

189mm would be a 7.5" wide hanger, and overall about a 10" wide truck. So a 215. Gonna go with poor photography of a 139.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #95 on: January 28, 2020, 04:34:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

189mm would be a 7.5" wide hanger, and overall about a 10" wide truck. So a 215. Gonna go with poor photography of a 139.

im just hoping they arent releasing them one size at a time. i just want the dims to know if i should care or not :-\
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

satan

« Reply #96 on: January 28, 2020, 04:43:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yep. I was thinking the same thing. But I didn't notice how narrow the hanger looked..
Does look more like a 139 but I swear I can still see an 8.
This is bugging me. I don't want lows, I'm just crazy curious.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #97 on: January 28, 2020, 04:44:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

im just hoping they arent releasing them one size at a time. i just want the dims to know if i should care or not :-\

From a practical standpoint, there's no advantage to them. They already have a good mid truck with forged hollows (unless these are considerably lower...like 50mm, which is borderline a low). And the kingpin they used is pointless. If they used a Krux pin, sure, but even those can have drawbacks. But with the Royal style pin they used, they'll barely be any shorter than a normal hex nut. So a little more clearance with the added headache of everything that can fuck up with an inverted kingpin.

Plus that weird iron cross and shield logo looks like some crusader shit.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #98 on: January 28, 2020, 06:08:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

From a practical standpoint, there's no advantage to them. They already have a good mid truck with forged hollows (unless these are considerably lower...like 50mm, which is borderline a low). And the kingpin they used is pointless. If they used a Krux pin, sure, but even those can have drawbacks. But with the Royal style pin they used, they'll barely be any shorter than a normal hex nut. So a little more clearance with the added headache of everything that can fuck up with an inverted kingpin.

Plus that weird iron cross and shield logo looks like some crusader shit.

yeah they would really have to be 50mm for me to care. i ride thunder forged anyways.if they made an inverted kingpin id jump
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 963
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #99 on: January 28, 2020, 06:36:01 PM »
I think indy will do well with the mid truck.

Im not feeling the shield.
Looks like a prophylactic company for the wmsm...

though those guys dont believe in birth control. Its against the war effort to use spermicide.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #100 on: January 29, 2020, 07:52:56 AM »
I think indy will do well with the mid truck.

Im not feeling the shield.
Looks like a prophylactic company for the wmsm...

though those guys dont believe in birth control. Its against the war effort to use spermicide.
Yes, I see the forged ones all the time😁
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #101 on: January 29, 2020, 10:17:18 AM »
All fucking inverted kingpin trucks never come with a fucking allen key to tighten them.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #102 on: January 29, 2020, 11:16:03 AM »
All fucking inverted kingpin trucks never come with a fucking allen key to tighten them.

All regular fucking kingpin trucks never come with a fucking hex wrench to tighten them.

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #103 on: January 29, 2020, 11:54:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

All regular fucking kingpin trucks never come with a fucking hex wrench to tighten them.
well as soon as all the fucking skate keys come with a fucking allen key the correct size to tighten an inverted kingpin then I wont bitch. but until then im gonna say fuck at least twice in every fucking sentence I type about it. Trucks have had the same fucking size hardware since the dawn of fucking time making a standard. And tons of fucking brands have only been making fucking skate keys for the standard fucking size. So if youre gonna launch a fucking product that requires a different fucking tool than what is "standard" then it should come with the fucking tool. Krux has had that stupid fucking kingpin forever, but the fucking tool is sold separately in a bag of bushings. bring those fucking trucks to skate shop and watch the fucker behind the counter search for 20 minutes to find the fucking allen key. At the skate park "hey got a fucking skate tool?" yeah, "got one for a fucking inverted kingpin?" fuck off. Indy Better have a fucking plan for this or this truck will flop with rest of the fucking inverted kingpin trucks.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #104 on: January 29, 2020, 12:16:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
well as soon as all the fucking skate keys come with a fucking allen key the correct size to tighten an inverted kingpin then I wont bitch. but until then im gonna say fuck at least twice in every fucking sentence I type about it. Trucks have had the same fucking size hardware since the dawn of fucking time making a standard. And tons of fucking brands have only been making fucking skate keys for the standard fucking size. So if youre gonna launch a fucking product that requires a different fucking tool than what is "standard" then it should come with the fucking tool. Krux has had that stupid fucking kingpin forever, but the fucking tool is sold separately in a bag of bushings. bring those fucking trucks to skate shop and watch the fucker behind the counter search for 20 minutes to find the fucking allen key. At the skate park "hey got a fucking skate tool?" yeah, "got one for a fucking inverted kingpin?" fuck off. Indy Better have a fucking plan for this or this truck will flop with rest of the fucking inverted kingpin trucks.

Fuck yeah sk8 or die
yes

Diocletian

« Reply #105 on: January 29, 2020, 02:26:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Krux definitely doesn’t include the fucking kingpin Allen key with the aftermarket bushings pack, that doesn’t make any fucking sense. It definitely comes in the pack with the fucking aftermarket inverted kingpin, though. I agree it would be fucking cool of them to include it if you buy a set of their fucking “DLK” trucks. That would make fucking sense, for fucking sure.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #106 on: January 29, 2020, 02:35:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Krux definitely doesn’t include the fucking kingpin Allen key with the aftermarket bushings pack, that doesn’t make any fucking sense. It definitely comes in the pack with the fucking aftermarket inverted kingpin, though. I agree it would be fucking cool of them to include it if you buy a set of their fucking “DLK” trucks. That would make fucking sense, for fucking sure.
they want you to fucking spend that extra fucking money on their fucking company

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #107 on: January 29, 2020, 02:48:56 PM »
Not all Krux come with the downlow kingpin, so it doesn't make sense to include it in the bushings.

However, every downlow kingpin does come with the wrench.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #108 on: January 29, 2020, 03:00:03 PM »
The indy tool with the cutting die comes with that size allen key it also comes with the hardware size key.

I wouldn't buy that thing again though. I only wanted the die
(A)pl(E)

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #109 on: January 29, 2020, 03:14:09 PM »
thats what i fucking meant the fucking krux kingpin thing, thought it had fucking bushings in there too. The point was that the fucking tool only comes with product sold separately which is fucking bogus. The fucking indy tool is just a fucking rebranded Reflex tool. I havent fucking tried the large end on a DLK but if works then maybe i can stop fucking crying.

saltusnaut

• Rep: 36
« Reply #110 on: January 29, 2020, 09:02:19 PM »
The shield cross on the baseplate is getting a bit too close to tensors logo imo.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #111 on: January 30, 2020, 04:49:46 AM »
Don't forget Allen Keys rarely came with grind King unless you bought the Kingpin too.

Go to ace get 2 for a buck
(A)pl(E)

Alex

• Rep: 1
« Reply #112 on: January 30, 2020, 05:17:31 AM »
These trucks can be tightened with a 1/2" wrench just like every other set of standard trucks... Are you guys not seeing that there is a hex head around the allen key hole?

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #113 on: January 30, 2020, 07:15:20 AM »
These trucks can be tightened with a 1/2" wrench just like every other set of standard trucks... Are you guys not seeing that there is a hex head around the allen key hole?
He was really just referring to krux when he was complaining about "all companies" that sell downlow kingpin trucks don't include an allen key-which lacks the hex head like silver, royal, film, and now these.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
« Reply #114 on: January 30, 2020, 08:20:37 AM »
It's like no one has a bike or ikea furniture.....

authentic_creed_bratton

« Reply #115 on: January 30, 2020, 08:46:52 AM »
thats what i fucking meant the fucking krux kingpin thing, thought it had fucking bushings in there too. The point was that the fucking tool only comes with product sold separately which is fucking bogus. The fucking indy tool is just a fucking rebranded Reflex tool. I havent fucking tried the large end on a DLK but if works then maybe i can stop fucking crying.
huh
🤙

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1074
« Reply #116 on: January 30, 2020, 10:10:36 AM »
Who do you think will be the first indy rider to get their name on a mid?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #117 on: January 30, 2020, 10:29:46 AM »
The shield cross on the baseplate is getting a bit too close to tensors logo imo.

It was mentioned upwards a bit that's its a sort of crusader-ish...better than Nazi-ish tho amiright?

saltusnaut

« Reply #118 on: January 30, 2020, 11:18:53 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It was mentioned upwards a bit that's its a sort of crusader-ish...better than Nazi-ish tho amiright?

Yeah for sure. nobody crusading anymore. Nazis still exist

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #119 on: January 30, 2020, 12:15:19 PM »
It's like no one has a bike or ikea furniture.....

Bikes and Ikea are metric.  Kingpins are 7/32"