Author Topic: Independent Trucks Mid  (Read 75483 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1005
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: Independent Trucks Mid
« Reply #690 on: September 19, 2023, 01:24:18 PM »
Is / was the boss on these at any point, or was he always on standard 139s? I only ask because he had that signature model.

That’s called marketing.

Sure he rode em got some photo incentives, proceeds from the first hollow Mindy…he’s moved on to stage IV and whatever his maddess requires and what’s free in his monthly box? He was recently battling 8.3 vs 8.06 in hopes it would flip better.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 01:53:26 PM by Xen »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #691 on: September 19, 2023, 01:52:22 PM »
Oh he's been off Stage IV for a while haha. He's amusing to follow cuz he's very gear obsessed and constantly optimizing, but he's also Andrew fuckin' Reynolds. I can never tell a difference in what he skates and recently he posted he's on an 8" with 139s again but was recently on 8.38 with 139. I've seen him say that he goes into the warehouse and hand selects decks with exactly the concave and kicks he wants so he probably got the Mid signature truck offer and went and did his madness in the warehouse to find what to pair with it then moved on once he likely had the same problems everyone else did.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #692 on: September 19, 2023, 01:54:10 PM »
Oh he's been off Stage IV for a while haha. He's amusing to follow cuz he's very gear obsessed and constantly optimizing, but he's also Andrew fuckin' Reynolds. I can never tell a difference in what he skates and recently he posted he's on an 8" with 139s again but was recently on 8.38 with 139. I've seen him say that he goes into the warehouse and hand selects decks with exactly the concave and kicks he wants so he probably got the Mid signature truck offer and went and did his madness in the warehouse to find what to pair with it then moved on once he likely had the same problems everyone else did.

saw that too, the madness has him! He didn't post the result of the 8 vs 8.3

macho taildrop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 22
« Reply #693 on: September 19, 2023, 02:15:56 PM »
Thanks. I'm no on insta but am always curious about what the boss is skating.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #694 on: September 19, 2023, 04:20:36 PM »
Thanks. I'm no on insta but am always curious about what the boss is skating.

i very much enjoy finding out what the pros use

marcusbutler

• Rep: 40
« Reply #695 on: September 19, 2023, 06:40:59 PM »
I setup a pair of 139 mids reynolds with the hollow axle. They were on a chocolate board with a 14" WB. Board just felt heavy. Even the pop. I had about three sessions and I slapped my thunders back on. Couldn't do it.
Probably 10 years ago. I was riding 129 indy lows on a 7.6" board. That was my jam. I think I tried venture, krux, and tensor. They all turned like shit. But the indy low turned like a thunder. I watched the video nhs put out about phasing out the low and replacing it with the mid. Saying they weren't happy with the geometry of the truck. Stumbled upon thunders and spec wise. Very similar. Been on thunders for a couple years now.
We rode 7.5's" and didn't complain.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 83
« Reply #696 on: September 19, 2023, 10:50:23 PM »
Reynolds skates 139 std highs, with a kingpin thats been cut down for more clearence. He had pic of it on IG.
And he said on the Nineclub that he was skating 8.25, but ye. He was skating 8,5 board with 139!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 11:20:56 PM by Vintagebody »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #697 on: September 19, 2023, 11:16:44 PM »
You sure that wasn’t the stage IV pin he cut down on insta?

Vintagebody

• Rep: 83
« Reply #698 on: September 19, 2023, 11:21:26 PM »
^
Yes sry, thats correct. He does not skate mids, but std highs with kingpin cut.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #699 on: September 20, 2023, 08:11:07 AM »

It was pretty cool to see him angle grinding his own Stage 4 reissue kingpins down, but those things were long.

Prior to that he had posted a set of Stage 11 standard baseplates that someone else had machined down the kingpins on to look very professional.

Someone took a screen shot of it and posted it here, but I can't find it right this minute.

Gotta say though that I enjoy most kingpins a little bit shorter too, especially the back one, but taking one or two threads down is pretty common and works a charm for me, as well as some others I know.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #700 on: September 20, 2023, 09:55:43 AM »

It was pretty cool to see him angle grinding his own Stage 4 reissue kingpins down, but those things were long.

Prior to that he had posted a set of Stage 11 standard baseplates that someone else had machined down the kingpins on to look very professional.

Someone took a screen shot of it and posted it here, but I can't find it right this minute.

Gotta say though that I enjoy most kingpins a little bit shorter too, especially the back one, but taking one or two threads down is pretty common and works a charm for me, as well as some others I know.

does this end up shortening the height of the hanger, and brining the effective wb in?

onkalo

• Rep: 28
« Reply #701 on: September 20, 2023, 01:20:57 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

does this end up shortening the height of the hanger, and brining the effective wb in?

Only if the bottom bushing sits lower (machined the surface where bottom bushing touches baseplate). If you mean that only the kingpin was machined shorter, the geometry shouldn’t change, only increased kingpin clearance (and probably tighter trucks). I haven’t seen that picture myself, if someone has it, please post it as i’m pretty interested :)

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #702 on: September 20, 2023, 07:37:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Only if the bottom bushing sits lower (machined the surface where bottom bushing touches baseplate). If you mean that only the kingpin was machined shorter, the geometry shouldn’t change, only increased kingpin clearance (and probably tighter trucks). I haven’t seen that picture myself, if someone has it, please post it as i’m pretty interested :)

I do the same to my kingpins a lot, so no changes to the geometry of the truck as the stock bushings (or my aftermarket low head bushings) still sit at the normal height, then the tops are as usual with the nut just sitting down lower and not having any threads showing.

On stock / untouched trucks, I would often have one thread or so showing on the back truck with normal bushings, or about three threads showing with the low head bushings, same as the Venture loose kit - just the same bottom bushings, lower head top bushing.

When I see some people with more than half a thread showing on the kingpin, I instantly want to reach for the grinder, but thankfully I am not that crazy about it.

Quite often I have shown people what I do to mine and some then do it themselves, with others asking if I can take the top of their kingpin off, which I can do easily enough.

Definitely not mandatory, but it does help with clearance when a little more is needed, especially on the back truck for me.

*  I have even done it with regular baseplates when trying the Indy mid hangers, which work a treat too - no more inverted kingpin issues and still giving enough clearance for the trucks to function as they should, for the people who wanted that as an option.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #703 on: October 26, 2023, 11:56:20 AM »

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #704 on: October 26, 2023, 12:17:20 PM »
Guess they're still pushing them / maybe he really likes them?

https://nhsskatedirect.com/blogs/nhs-skate-direct/carlos-ribeiros-new-pro-trucks-switch-crooks-on-a-double-kinked-rail

some of the best pop of my wack little skate life had been on indy’s, but i always look for a reason to skate something different. and when you all had a bad time with the mids i skipped.
carlos is amazing tho

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #705 on: October 26, 2023, 12:36:11 PM »
Expand Quote

some of the best pop of my wack little skate life had been on indy’s, but i always look for a reason to skate something different. and when you all had a bad time with the mids i skipped.
carlos is amazing tho

I had a great time on the Forged-Mids, just stopped riding heavy ass indys (and 149s) =D

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #706 on: October 26, 2023, 02:00:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

carlos is amazing tho
[close]

I had a great time on the Forged-Mids, just stopped riding heavy ass indys (and 149s) =D

indy 149s are how i came to slap. ‘everyone’ was switching to them. kickflips were ok, nollie flips and treflips were fucked.
indy 149s hurt me

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #707 on: October 26, 2023, 03:05:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

carlos is amazing tho
[close]

[close]

indy 149s are how i came to slap. ‘everyone’ was switching to them. kickflips were ok, nollie flips and treflips were fucked.
indy 149s hurt me

144/148s are where it's at for me; safely ride them on 8.125-8.3 with no OCD.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #708 on: October 26, 2023, 03:13:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

carlos is amazing tho
[close]

[close]

indy 149s hurt me
[close]

yes.
i’m going to skate my 148s today, just to be anti-madness.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #709 on: October 26, 2023, 04:26:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

carlos is amazing tho
[close]

[close]

indy 149s hurt me
[close]

[close]

yes.
i’m going to skate my 148s today, just to be anti-madness.

Put on some slim wheels ;)

LebowskisRug

« Reply #710 on: October 26, 2023, 04:32:41 PM »
I've tried 8.5 trucks and really didn't find anything better on them and seemed to get more wheelbite/scoop ghost pop so I went back to 8.25 trucks and have been fine on them even up to 8.5. After all- Bobby and Ishod both rock 8" trucks on the 8.38 twin tail and not thaaat many pros are hot rodding significantly these days.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #711 on: October 26, 2023, 04:46:18 PM »
I've tried 8.5 trucks and really didn't find anything better on them and seemed to get more wheelbite/scoop ghost pop so I went back to 8.25 trucks and have been fine on them even up to 8.5. After all- Bobby and Ishod both rock 8" trucks on the 8.38 twin tail and not thaaat many pros are hot rodding significantly these days.

there was a significant diminished return, for me, on flatground, which gets almost all of my attention, with 149s/5.8s etc.
the pull is the ‘feel’ sometimes the bigger setups feel great.

some of the most consistent pro’s skate the 8” trucks: ishod, yuto, nyjah. didn’t realize the bob was on 5.2s! i need to get my life together.

@Xen DAMMIT! i already setup these 52 lock-ins and they look so stupid. and i know i hate the scoop on them. whatever. classics only, going forward, until i get something more slimming

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #712 on: October 27, 2023, 08:03:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

there was a significant diminished return, for me, on flatground, which gets almost all of my attention, with 149s/5.8s etc.
the pull is the ‘feel’ sometimes the bigger setups feel great.

some of the most consistent pro’s skate the 8” trucks: ishod, yuto, nyjah. didn’t realize the bob was on 5.2s! i need to get my life together.

@Xen DAMMIT! i already setup these 52 lock-ins and they look so stupid. and i know i hate the scoop on them. whatever. classics only, going forward, until i get something more slimming

oof - I imagine they're not pleasing to the eye. I'm still on V1 bones (x99) or V3 stfs...really wish they'd made a V2/v3 in x99 - I like me some slim (light) wheels.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #713 on: October 27, 2023, 09:28:23 AM »
I haven't been the biggest fan of the X urethane but with that said I haven't removed my X99 V5 yet. That shape is really rad.

Obijuan91

• Rep: 18
« Reply #714 on: October 27, 2023, 07:34:21 PM »
So like back on Indy mids, anyone know how long it takes for them to break in? Or are they forever going to stay super loose? Bought some Indy 94a bushings but they’re too tight and the regular mids stay too surfy. I hate having to crank down the king pin pet peeve. I usually rock standards with the nut flush.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #715 on: October 27, 2023, 09:13:32 PM »
So like back on Indy mids, anyone know how long it takes for them to break in? Or are they forever going to stay super loose? Bought some Indy 94a bushings but they’re too tight and the regular mids stay too surfy. I hate having to crank down the king pin pet peeve. I usually rock standards with the nut flush.

Put a mark on your kingpin bolt with a Sharpie and make sure they’re not self-loosening first. This is a known issue and might be why they feel like they’re not firming up/breaking in properly. I ended up using a regular baseplate/kingpin with my mids because the IKPs tend to loosen themselves.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #716 on: October 27, 2023, 10:31:23 PM »
Atleast for me, after one session they stiffen up and then i wish they would be looser again

Obijuan91

• Rep: 18
« Reply #717 on: October 28, 2023, 07:06:14 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Put a mark on your kingpin bolt with a Sharpie and make sure they’re not self-loosening first. This is a known issue and might be why they feel like they’re not firming up/breaking in properly. I ended up using a regular baseplate/kingpin with my mids because the IKPs tend to loosen themselves.

I would keep tighten them and they would get a little tighter but still too surfy, I ended up taking the bushings off my old Indy’s and now we’re cooking thanks tho

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #718 on: October 28, 2023, 01:48:59 PM »

Blue 92s, my dude. Blue 92s.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #719 on: October 28, 2023, 04:09:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I would keep tighten them and they would get a little tighter but still too surfy, I ended up taking the bushings off my old Indy’s and now we’re cooking thanks tho

In messing around with a lot of mids, if you can end up wtih the kingpin down at full lock in the baseplate, there is way less chance of it loosening off, as well as having the kingpin at the lowest point / giving more clearance.

Just getting whatever bushings right to fit that combination can sometimes be the hardest part, but for those trucks at full lock into the baseplate, there were fewer issues than others who definitely had some kingpin movement.