Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4817862 times)

Ourladyoftheflowers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 96
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #33420 on: April 28, 2023, 10:32:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I forgot to add, BBS is just over the border in Mexico, but Generator have their office in Oceanside, California.

Generator has a newish site up now with some good info, that I hadn't seen before:

https://www.generatordistribution.com/about-1-1

Our boards are manufactured exclusively with BBS MFG. in Mexico.  Printing, transferring, packaging & distribution is done at our facility in Oceanside California.
[close]

Looks like they finally caved and are selling blanks like PS Stix
https://skatesamples.com/
[close]

Looks like shipping within the US only
Still would be interesting to see the dims on the regular decks
I see the shaped ones have length and wb listed but not the pops

This just made my day. With spring hitting I’ve been toasting decks in three weeks and it’s killing the bank account. Gonna order an 8.5 I’ll update with dimensions when I get it

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #33421 on: April 28, 2023, 01:20:32 PM »
I think I'm done with decks that don't have a full nose and don't have a minimum wheelbase of 14.5"

Circle - A Mitch Mendez 8.5" x 32.75" with 14.75" Wheelbase (PS Stix)
Independent Hollows 159 Pedro Delfino with aftermarket Indy 92a bushings (most likely going to swap to 149 standards when I get home)
Powell Peralta Dragons 56mm 93a
Bones Super Red Ceramics
Indy 1" hardware
MOB
Vans Zahba

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #33422 on: April 28, 2023, 01:22:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I forgot to add, BBS is just over the border in Mexico, but Generator have their office in Oceanside, California.

Generator has a newish site up now with some good info, that I hadn't seen before:

Our boards are manufactured exclusively with BBS MFG. in Mexico.  Printing, transferring, packaging & distribution is done at our facility in Oceanside California.
[close]

[close]

[close]

This just made my day. With spring hitting I’ve been toasting decks in three weeks and it’s killing the bank account. Gonna order an 8.5 I’ll update with dimensions when I get it

Woodchuck laminates sells generator blanks, but with free shipping.

While they have not expressively said they switched to generator, their listed 8.25 specs are the same my sci fi and birdhouse 8.25s. I had woodchuck do 2 runs of boards for me, as well.

A single board is 29.99 but you may save on the shipping fee

minilogoflow

• Rep: 84
« Reply #33423 on: April 28, 2023, 02:22:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

While they have not expressively said they switched to generator, their listed 8.25 specs are the same my sci fi and birdhouse 8.25s. I had woodchuck do 2 runs of boards for me, as well.

Are you positive it's generator? I bought one (8.75 blank) about 2 months ago and it didn't feel as "sturdy" as a typical generator/bbs deck.

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #33424 on: April 28, 2023, 03:20:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Are you positive it's generator? I bought one (8.75 blank) about 2 months ago and it didn't feel as "sturdy" as a typical generator/bbs deck.

The 8.25s were identical shape. Woodchuck boards had to top notch but no other generator/bbs markings

I only have an 8.5 left from the woodchuck order at home, can’t post detailed pictures cause I’m out of state.

I also have this screenshot.

And I know it’s not clutch. Clutch boards feel different

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #33425 on: April 28, 2023, 10:17:32 PM »
8.75 Blackhole shop deck
Indy 159s
Spitfire conical full 58mm
Bones hard bushings
Mini logo bearings
Adidas busentiz pro
carhartt socks
carhartt shorts

Trying to convert back to popsicles after riding shaped decks for a while. Am I imagining it or have most popsicles gotten a lot fatter in the nose? It's a BBS deck. I feel like I need to do some modifications to this deck so the nose doesn't look so huge when I look down at it.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 10:35:14 PM by modern life is war »
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #33426 on: April 28, 2023, 11:51:28 PM »
8.75 Blackhole shop deck
Indy 159s
Spitfire conical full 58mm
Bones hard bushings
Mini logo bearings
Adidas busentiz pro
carhartt socks
carhartt shorts

Trying to convert back to popsicles after riding shaped decks for a while. Am I imagining it or have most popsicles gotten a lot fatter in the nose? It's a BBS deck. I feel like I need to do some modifications to this deck so the nose doesn't look so huge when I look down at it.

Can you post a top pic please?

I keep going back to a few 8.75 boards (various BBS brands, different shapes of popsicle) and they all look like they have big noses, but that is just the look of most of these boards.

Some might be a bit more full looking than others though.

Thanks.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
« Reply #33427 on: April 29, 2023, 12:03:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

The 8.25s were identical shape. Woodchuck boards had to top notch but no other generator/bbs markings

I only have an 8.5 left from the woodchuck order at home, can’t post detailed pictures cause I’m out of state.

And I know it’s not clutch. Clutch boards feel different

Wow.

Guessing most woodshops now have a little too much stock, which only increases the "dog eat dog" type of situation that is going on right now in the skateboard industry for decks.

Thanks @rocklobster nice find!!!

Thanks everyone else for any other info.

* Copying this to the Woodshop thread too.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=120409.930

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #33428 on: April 29, 2023, 09:27:02 PM »
@Mbrimson88 Here's a top pic. It definitely looks way more normal in this pic than it does in real life to me... The board next to it is the last shaped deck i was riding, it's not actually that much smaller, just an optical illusion

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #33429 on: April 30, 2023, 02:36:57 AM »
@Mbrimson88 Here's a top pic. It definitely looks way more normal in this pic than it does in real life to me... The board next to it is the last shaped deck i was riding, it's not actually that much smaller, just an optical illusion

Yeah thanks!

I could definitely see anything after that shaped board looking a bit too full.

Was that the Ronnie Sandoval shape or something else?

And yes, a pic from above of a complete beside a deck always looks weird.  Had a few people comment on things like that, when they were often the same boards, just one new and the old one beside it.

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #33430 on: April 30, 2023, 05:11:47 PM »

8.25 G027 Niels Bennet Girl Board
5.8 Venture with Bones Med Bushings
52 F4 Spitfire swirl
Pepper grip, Indy bolts and Reds

Still loving the Manteca 4

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #33431 on: April 30, 2023, 09:03:03 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah thanks!

And yes, a pic from above of a complete beside a deck always looks weird.  Had a few people comment on things like that, when they were often the same boards, just one new and the old one beside it.

That's the El camino shape. It's an 8.8. They've had it for a couple of decks that i know of, one was a natas guest model and the other was a matt gottwig deck. It's my favourite shape ever but they didn't have it in the latest release of boards so I'm trying to go back to popsicles that are easily available and generally like $20 cheaper when you get a shop deck.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #33432 on: April 30, 2023, 09:37:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah thanks!

[close]

That's the El camino shape. It's an 8.8. They've had it for a couple of decks that i know of, one was a natas guest model and the other was a matt gottwig deck. It's my favourite shape ever but they didn't have it in the latest release of boards so I'm trying to go back to popsicles that are easily available and generally like $20 cheaper when you get a shop deck.

I thought this was the Gonz Sweatpants shape.
They look similar. I think the Gonz is 9.81 and looks like a smaller nose.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #33433 on: May 01, 2023, 04:34:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah thanks!

[close]

[close]

I thought this was the Gonz Sweatpants shape.
They look similar. I think the Gonz is 9.81 and looks like a smaller nose.

I see it now. 

Never had the El Camino shape (or the Ronnie shape), so that makes sense.

The Gonz 9.81 board is a bit more stubby / wide looking for the size - had a few of those ones - but it would be easy to get some of those shapes mixed up as they do look quite similar from just one pic against a popsicle of similar size.

https://www.basementskate.com.au/krooked-skateboard-deck-natas-art-8.88/

Dimensions:   8.88 x 32.125 with a 14.62 wb

gsosa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 292
« Reply #33434 on: May 02, 2023, 11:30:26 AM »

Tried to get creative with the grip job but blew it calculating some stuff and was forced to improvise, adapt and overcome. Not the prettiest but atleast I have Fred Gall protecting me.
Word Is Bond 8.38
Thunder 149s Tom K pro model
Spitfire F4 Conicals 54mm
Spitifire Classics bearings
Thunder 1 inch Phillips
MOB & Some Mob Clear
Real 1/8 Wooden Risers
DC Kalis Lites
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 11:16:26 AM by gsosa »

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
« Reply #33435 on: May 02, 2023, 05:04:20 PM »

Favorite shape of all time. I don't know why I have a second egg set up I mess around on, it sort of messes with my head. I should only skate this shape always.

Quasi - 8.5 x 32.125 x 14.25
Venture 5.8
Spitfire F4 58 MM OG Classics (have shrunk a little)
Reds
nutass 7/8 allen hardware
Jessup
92 Half Cabs

Also kind of neat my board matches my floor.

Filthyphil222

• Rep: 7
« Reply #33436 on: May 02, 2023, 07:11:05 PM »
Krooked Una Farrar pro model
I really like the lenght and the wb of that deck . Feels nice to have a short 8.5

Royals hollow 149

Spitfire F4 og classics 54's

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #33437 on: May 02, 2023, 09:49:31 PM »

Favorite shape of all time. I don't know why I have a second egg set up I mess around on, it sort of messes with my head. I should only skate this shape always.

Venture 5.8
Reds
Jessup
92 Half Cabs

Oh, perfect

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #33438 on: May 02, 2023, 09:54:13 PM »

Venture 5.8
Reds
Jessup
92 Half Cabs

Don‘t leave that lying on that floor or you‘ll trip. Reminds me of one of these insects or reptiles that mimics its environment.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

overwaxed

• Rep: 92
« Reply #33439 on: May 03, 2023, 07:33:05 AM »

Trying out an egg shape from Transportation Unit for the first time - feels like a very skateable shape, comfy in the middle but easy to flip and especially excited to (hopefully) learn slappy crooks on it. Not gonna call it a curb board, and I still love my Krooked 8.38 shape but I'm not 100% sold on Ace's so I might need to cop some Thunder 149's ... I had to be the one guy who got super used to Destructos in the early 00's and nothing feels right now.

9.12x31.75x14.25, Thunder 151's (stoked to be a little lower to the ground, plus it stretches out the WB a bit - I'm 6'1" with a size 11 foot), 53mm OJ Nomads 95a, Bones Swiss, Thunder 7/8 hardware, Jessup Grip (love the feel of Mob, but can't stand it peeling up constantly)

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1181
« Reply #33440 on: May 03, 2023, 07:41:14 AM »

Venture 5.8
Reds
Jessup
92 Half Cabs

good looks
hardly art, hardly starving

Dong Hanglo

• Rep: 34
« Reply #33441 on: May 03, 2023, 07:07:55 PM »

8.75 eagle (Birthday present that I've had on ice from my partner!)
57mm Spitfire classics (old formula. F4 wasn't a thing until I was in my mid 20's so I enjoy classic urethane wheels.)
Thunder 161 hollow light
Swiss
Shorty's
Jessup
Real 1/8 wood riser

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #33442 on: May 03, 2023, 07:43:10 PM »

8.75 eagle (Birthday present that I've had on ice from my partner!)
57mm Spitfire classics (old formula. F4 wasn't a thing until I was in my mid 20's so I enjoy classic urethane wheels.)
Thunder 161 hollow light
Swiss
Shorty's
Jessup
Real 1/8 wood riser

The wide thunders look nice

vicious cycle

• Rep: 166
« Reply #33443 on: May 04, 2023, 04:13:58 AM »
This graphic got a lot of hate but i love it and would buy again as a wall hanger.

Real Mason 8.28
Venture 5.6 V-hollow
Spitfire Classic Full 54. Now 53mm
Bronson G3
Generic shop grip, feels like Jessup.
Adidas Tyshawn Low
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
« Reply #33444 on: May 04, 2023, 08:02:37 AM »
just got this in the mail 10 mins ago.

WKND BP shape 8X31.5
Venture 5.2 forged high titanium
Spitfire 52mm big heads
Bones super reds bearings
Shake junt 7/8” allen bolts
Jessup grip

This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

sbr

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #33445 on: May 04, 2023, 11:39:01 AM »

I think I may have finally cured my madness with this one... Locked in on this equasion for the forseeable future  8)
  • Krooked Family Affair 9.81"x32" w/ 14.37" wb
  • Ace AF1 Hollow 66's (Ace 91a top bushings as tops/bottoms)
  • Ace 7/8" Allen hardware
  • Bones Swiss
  • Spitfire F4 Classic 99a 56's

« Last Edit: May 05, 2023, 12:44:26 PM by sbr »
Small man, big board...
IG: s.b.r_

vicious cycle

• Rep: 166
« Reply #33446 on: May 04, 2023, 12:08:41 PM »
I'm 85% of the way cured from setup madness, but I got an itch to skate Classics again and wanted to A/B test them against the AF1's to see what I like better. After a quick roll around in my driveway on lunch, I'm digging the Classics more than I have been the AF1's, but I'm going to give myself a few weeks to make a final call on that. The turn is sharper, the grind feels better and I'm digging the slightly lower ride height.

That's a such beauty, dope setup!
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

sbr

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #33447 on: May 04, 2023, 12:20:06 PM »
That's a such beauty, dope setup!

Cheers! I'm stoked I finally found a functional shape I'm comfortable on. I'm just super curious to see after a few weeks what trucks I end up keeping on the main setup lol
Small man, big board...
IG: s.b.r_

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #33448 on: May 04, 2023, 12:40:17 PM »
This graphic got a lot of hate but i love it and would buy again as a wall hanger.

Real Mason 8.28
Venture 5.6 V-hollow
Spitfire Classic Full 54. Now 53mm
Bronson G3
Generic shop grip, feels like Jessup.
Adidas Tyshawn Low

This is a solid/beautiful graphic, how did it garner that much hate??  :o

I swear people hate on Real graphics just to feel included here on Slap. Most of their graphics are pretty good if you took a step back and compared them to their contemporaries.  Even their weirder ones are mildly distasteful at best (save for the  few truly bad ones)
Super Champion Fun Zone

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #33449 on: May 04, 2023, 02:05:07 PM »
Idk why but your tyshawms lookin like baked potatos