Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 720415 times)

DRUNK_ASS_WIZARD

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 8
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #4350 on: August 24, 2022, 08:21:04 AM »
Are these bubbles anything to worry about?  I sent an email and they haven't been able to get back to me yet.

Nothing to worry about.  The singular bubble is there to release air from the molds when they're making the wheels. 

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4351 on: August 24, 2022, 08:21:27 AM »
Are these bubbles anything to worry about?  I sent an email and they haven't been able to get back to me yet.

Nope, a lot of them have this bubble. It won't affect performance.

TurboVirgin

• Rep: 6
« Reply #4352 on: August 24, 2022, 08:44:47 AM »
That's good news because I already put them on my shit.  Thanks.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 953
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #4353 on: August 24, 2022, 07:29:08 PM »
spanky had an orange conical in 99a f4 54mm not long ago.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #4354 on: August 25, 2022, 05:41:57 AM »
Old 60mm classics were essentially a coniful. Still smaller than a 60mm radial full and almost any 80’s 60mm wheel. Still a full sized piece of equipment.

Boog

• Rep: 201
« Reply #4355 on: August 25, 2022, 05:56:52 AM »
spanky had an orange conical in 99a f4 54mm not long ago.
I'm skating a pair of them right now. I really like the way they look and they feel no different than regular off white f4. I also have a pair of the blue skate like a girl radials.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4356 on: August 25, 2022, 06:40:58 PM »
Expand Quote
If I had to guess, maybe in T-funks case, and possibly others...when you're filming, getting clips, etc., you might need something different for that 'one spot' or to flesh out your part. Tech here, gnarhesh there.

No one is doing that China Banks ollie on 51mm wheels, that's for damn sure...knowwhati'msaying?
[close]

I will say, having just recently skates at China banks, my 50mm-ish conicals handles the brick fairly well. I was definitely concerned I was going to have a much harder time skating but it’s actually decently smooth and the 99 F4 still grips pretty well.

Now T-Funk is an insane person and I still think it’s impossible he Ollied a long bench, that’s Hollywood magic. If he wants to ride 56-60mm wheels that’s because he’s super strong, super gnarly, and did I mention insane

I was thinking wheelsize for speed to make that bench ollie, not brick handling tbh.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 04:52:52 PM by Xen »

Radim

• Rep: 12
« Reply #4357 on: August 26, 2022, 04:11:35 AM »
I really like the feel and slide of 99a. However,  I flatspotted 54classics quite easily, same as bones ogs. With stf i do not have this problem, but they not slide as good. Talking About 99s
Fountain of Youth since 1995. Thank you Skateboarding!

Creature 8.0 - Venture 5.2 - F4 52/99a

downtodevin

• Rep: 36
« Reply #4358 on: August 28, 2022, 08:31:31 AM »

Is a gash like this normal on F4s? They are OG Classics and only about a few months old. Riding on pretty crappy asphalt and smooth skateparks. I have some F4 Classics that are more worn but don't have any gashes like this. Thanks!

sn00p

• Rep: 25
« Reply #4359 on: August 28, 2022, 09:24:29 AM »

Is a gash like this normal on F4s? They are OG Classics and only about a few months old. Riding on pretty crappy asphalt and smooth skateparks. I have some F4 Classics that are more worn but don't have any gashes like this. Thanks!

I got a nice chunk like that on some 2 day old tablets recently. Don’t know if it was a production issue or me being a dumbass but I just switched em out for some classics and haven’t had any problems since.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1156
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #4360 on: August 28, 2022, 09:32:59 AM »

Probably just unlucky and caught a rock or something that took a chunk. Shouldn’t affect anything too much, I’d say just keep running em

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4361 on: August 28, 2022, 09:44:24 AM »
Square shape wheels are more vulnerable to chips like that.

downtodevin

• Rep: 36
« Reply #4362 on: August 28, 2022, 09:51:02 AM »
I’ll probably just keep rocking them. I can’t feel anything different when I skate them. I wanted to try a wider wheel which why I got them. I still have my classics if I need to switch back. Thanks!

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4363 on: August 28, 2022, 10:19:20 AM »
Yeah, if you can't feel it just ride it out.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #4364 on: August 28, 2022, 10:46:27 AM »
I've got some conical fulls which have multiple cuts and gashes in them. They still work fine and I don't even think about I'm not actively looking at the wheels.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1307
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4365 on: August 28, 2022, 01:16:27 PM »
wheel gashes make a set up look cooler. consider yourself blessed.

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
« Reply #4366 on: August 28, 2022, 01:20:51 PM »
anyone got a lead on where i can buy those 48mm F4s that Chico is selling with his newest deck? Spitfire also posted an ig story a couple weeks ago about how they messed up sending a box of those to one of their riders who actually wanted 58s. So it seems they exist in decent quantities but they're not popping up in any shops and they're not in the newest catalog...

left knee cap

• Rep: 117
  • $$$$
« Reply #4367 on: August 28, 2022, 04:21:49 PM »
anyone got a lead on where i can buy those 48mm F4s that Chico is selling with his newest deck? Spitfire also posted an ig story a couple weeks ago about how they messed up sending a box of those to one of their riders who actually wanted 58s. So it seems they exist in decent quantities but they're not popping up in any shops and they're not in the newest catalog...

a quick google search can bring you to here

https://www.toplesspizza.ca/collections/wheels/products/spitfire-lil-smokies-48mm

probably will be coming out in bigger quantities in the next few months though if you wait it out

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #4368 on: August 29, 2022, 12:30:35 PM »
Too early to say for sure, but I’m mildly disappointed in 97a F4s. I’m a regular soft wheel(95-97a) user and I’m not feeling it. Speed and grip are ok, but they feel dead. Is the lack of bounce a feature for folks that like hard wheels? They’re classics, which I haven’t ridden in years, and one of the few sessions I had was on super smooth, clean concrete so they may grow on me.

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #4369 on: August 29, 2022, 02:19:07 PM »
Too early to say for sure, but I’m mildly disappointed in 97a F4s. I’m a regular soft wheel(95-97a) user and I’m not feeling it. Speed and grip are ok, but they feel dead. Is the lack of bounce a feature for folks that like hard wheels? They’re classics, which I haven’t ridden in years, and one of the few sessions I had was on super smooth, clean concrete so they may grow on me.

They are really solid on shitty terrain, but everything you described was my experience. "Dead", underwhelming speed, and despite not sliding well, they would still slip out on occasion.

They definitely feel better (relative to normal wheels) on shitty ground... But they don't feel amazing on it either due to lack of slide. They definitely serve their purpose on rough ground, but aren't very "fun". And are way slower than they should be at 97a.

I would almost treat them like a cruiser wheel personally... Even though your experience sounds much like mine, there are people on here that swear by them.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4370 on: August 29, 2022, 04:18:08 PM »

They're on his website for $25 a set

https://www.chicostix.com/products/48mm-spitfire-classic-shape

https://www.chicostix.com/products/50mm-spitfire-tablet-shape

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
« Reply #4371 on: August 29, 2022, 04:20:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They're on his website for $25 a set

https://www.chicostix.com/products/48mm-spitfire-classic-shape

https://www.chicostix.com/products/50mm-spitfire-tablet-shape
Oh damn, I checked for that before posting here, wonder if he just put those up. Sold! Thank you!

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #4372 on: August 30, 2022, 05:33:19 PM »

Just doing a bit of looking around for something else and came across this, for those of you who would want a thinner classic wheel again.

Spitfire catalog from Spring 2016

https://www.dlxsf.com/spring16/sf.html

Open the image for a clear view of all the dimensions

https://www.dlxsf.com/spring16/img/spring16/sf/02-spitfire-sp16-dr2-desktop.jpg

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #4373 on: August 30, 2022, 05:38:31 PM »
Ooh I remember those. Super nice and nimble on perfect ground. Basically useless on anything rough

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4374 on: August 30, 2022, 05:54:29 PM »
Ooh I remember those. Super nice and nimble on perfect ground. Basically useless on anything rough

Ha yeah, maybe why they were discontinued.

Funny seeing some things like that though, espcially seeing as I had a lot of stuff from those Spring and Summer 16 catalogs.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4375 on: August 30, 2022, 07:10:10 PM »

Just doing a bit of looking around for something else and came across this, for those of you who would want a thinner classic wheel again.

Spitfire catalog from Spring 2016

https://www.dlxsf.com/spring16/sf.html

Open the image for a clear view of all the dimensions

https://www.dlxsf.com/spring16/img/spring16/sf/02-spitfire-sp16-dr2-desktop.jpg

I love the corny graphics:

The SFW range was always an anomaly, conical shaped but named SFW. And why did Manderson get a signature shape?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4376 on: August 31, 2022, 09:07:55 AM »
Manderson was super into wide wheels at the time and there were very few offerings. This was way before Concial fulls, Radials, etc.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 862
« Reply #4377 on: August 31, 2022, 09:19:13 AM »
I think navarrette would have the same shape as the mandersons but in 58-60s. (Altho way before 2016) was that the longest running pro wheel? Feel like I had the mandersons in 2011 or something

DillsDarts

• Rep: -22
« Reply #4378 on: August 31, 2022, 06:12:24 PM »
Does anyone know if the radial fills were only a one time release?? Fallen in love with em & couldn't stock up at any of the locals when they were in
'Offensive career gets one do over, last attitude gets two tries. Cariuma riders have a bigger margin for error but will ultimately be decided by the referee'.
[/quote]

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4379 on: September 01, 2022, 03:40:11 AM »

Classic shapes or more commonly the Bighead shape which was a Classic Full before there was such a thing was the main wheel back then, so when new they were big and round, but when worn down they were very wide and squared off, and to me, they were great for everything, which is what I liked and I think what some of those guys wanted from new, hence the wider profile wheel came out again but in way more modern sizes - 51, 52, etc as opposed to 60mm.

I say again, cause back in the 80s forward, they had super big fat wide wheels in all shapes, sizes, etc.

SFW - super fucking wide - was also an Indy thing back when trucks were on narrow planks and then boards started to get wider and wider, so it made sense to also have those initials for those wheels too.

I think navarrette would have the same shape as the mandersons but in 58-60s. (Altho way before 2016) was that the longest running pro wheel? Feel like I had the mandersons in 2011 or something

Re the Manderson wheel, I can't remember when but they definitely had been out for a while, maybe first saw them about then but I would have to check.

Re Navarrette. He was always more into the Bighead 59mm wheel, which is pretty damn wide in itself 40mm or so.  So big but so good for what it was and those things lasted forever when I had them on boards.

Does anyone know if the radial fulls were only a one time release?? Fallen in love with em & couldn't stock up at any of the locals when they were in

I would say they are pretty popular so should be around for a while, but who knows these days.  There were 56mm through 57, 58 and 60mm sizes between a few different drops and graphics so far.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 03:49:16 AM by Mbrimson88 »