Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 720402 times)

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1973
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #4830 on: March 16, 2023, 06:20:18 AM »
I'm really getting into the weeds here, but do y'all compensate your wheel size based on shapes if you change?

I'm usually a Classics guy and have gone up to 55mm without any issues, but I just bought some 54mm Conical Fulls and I feel like I'm riding a goddamn monster truck. They're comfy to cruise on but popping anything is such a chore. This is probably a dumb question but I try to not think too hard about this stuff until I have a bad sesh lol. Might just go buy some Classics after work and never change again.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4831 on: March 16, 2023, 06:43:35 AM »
i really need to try classics
i am just so used to conical full at this point i honestly dont evne know what anything else feels like

El Freegano

• Rep: 217
« Reply #4832 on: March 16, 2023, 07:00:44 AM »
I used to skate classics starting from 54 and love then when they 51 with wider contact patch. Now i wanted to get something 52 coz i went on lower trucks and was inbetween trying conical full, but i like the round edge and by accident i ordered classic full (which i thought were classic). I havent tried them yet, but i like the fact they are small diameter and with wider contact patch. I think radials will be good too.

Pasta Monster

« Reply #4833 on: March 16, 2023, 07:19:24 AM »
I try different shapes but always come back to Classics. Conical Fulls are great for crusty spots and transition, so I use them on 8.5”+.

I’m about to set up some 52mm Radial Slims for the first time on my main board by the weekend. Hopefully, I don’t like them better than Classics because they’re not being produced at the moment.

F4 Classic Fulls and F4 OG Classics are on my to-try list but I may have missed the opportunity to buy them domestically.

IpathCats

« Reply #4834 on: March 16, 2023, 07:42:34 AM »
i really need to try classics
i am just so used to conical full at this point i honestly dont evne know what anything else feels like

I'm really getting into the weeds here, but do y'all compensate your wheel size based on shapes if you change?

I'm usually a Classics guy and have gone up to 55mm without any issues, but I just bought some 54mm Conical Fulls and I feel like I'm riding a goddamn monster truck. They're comfy to cruise on but popping anything is such a chore. This is probably a dumb question but I try to not think too hard about this stuff until I have a bad sesh lol. Might just go buy some Classics after work and never change again.

Classics are the best, for me anyway.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4835 on: March 16, 2023, 07:58:45 AM »
I would like to know, who is actaully riding Tablets? Shane O'Neil? Is this wheel made for like Dave Mayhew Storm Era skateboarding?

It seems like Radials are a good in between of Conical Full and Classics. Because there is less riding surface, that would indicate to me that it would be a little easier to put the board up on 2 wheels. for the type of skating I do, I probably am not benefitting much from having conical fulls. its probably adding a decent amount of weight to my wheels too that i dont need.

do the wheel shapes affect wheelbite at all do you think? being able to go on the side of the wheel more, does that prevent biting more?

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 822
« Reply #4836 on: March 16, 2023, 07:59:59 AM »
Wheel shape absolutely impacts wheel bite potential.

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -303
« Reply #4837 on: March 16, 2023, 08:07:01 AM »
do the wheel shapes affect wheelbite at all do you think? being able to go on the side of the wheel more, does that prevent biting more?

I've ridden classic, conical, radial and they all wheelbite. So I'd say nah.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4838 on: March 16, 2023, 08:48:39 AM »
Of course it does, a wider. squarer wheel will provide more surface area for the deck to hit.

All other things being the same (wheel height, truck and deck size) a classic will have a lower amount of wheel bite potential than conical full.

Pasta Monster

« Reply #4839 on: March 16, 2023, 09:06:27 AM »
Of course it does, a wider. squarer wheel will provide more surface area for the deck to hit.

All other things being the same (wheel height, truck and deck size) a classic will have a lower amount of wheel bite potential than conical full.
The wheelbite from Classics tend to be deeper with a smaller diameter compared to Conical Full which is the opposite. [I mainly skate Thunder Hollow Lights with Team baseplates. YMMV]
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 10:21:56 AM by chronicbackpain »

IpathCats

« Reply #4840 on: March 16, 2023, 09:37:15 AM »

True

Classics dont bite as easily as raddials/conical/fulls because they are more narrow

And when they do bite, its not as hard because the edges are so round

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4841 on: March 16, 2023, 09:47:45 AM »
I skate loose Thunders so wheelbite is sorta inevitable for me, but it is noticeably more jarring on my Conical Fulls.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4842 on: March 16, 2023, 02:24:41 PM »

Update: ended up grabbing some Classics after work and skating a bit. Instantly felt better. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it, I guess.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4843 on: March 16, 2023, 05:57:51 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Update: ended up grabbing some Classics after work and skating a bit. Instantly felt better. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it, I guess.

Did you get 54 mm Classics?

It's a funny thing that I would rather ride Classics, but I do like worn down Conical Full that I take the edges off for smaller all round wheels.  From new I like the Classic shape, especially as a 56 mm wheel for transition stuff, but they are a bit big for everything if I am skating smaller curbs or whatever.  Nice too when they have worn down a few mm.

A set of 54 mm Conical Full wheels from new feel a bit big, which is weird cause 56 mm Classics feel easier.

I had been able to get a whole lot of Classic 56 mm wheels for cheap on a big sale, so I am working my way through them.  It is going to take a while though.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
« Reply #4844 on: March 16, 2023, 07:20:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

True

Classics dont bite as easily as raddials/conical/fulls because they are more narrow

And when they do bite, its not as hard because the edges are so round

Correct.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4845 on: March 16, 2023, 07:39:27 PM »
I like a wider contact patch on 54s and smaller in 58s. But my favorite is wearing down a Classic 58. The amount the contact patch on a classic gets wider as it wears down is perfect. I've taken a few sets of 58s to 50mm. BY the time a 58 becomes a 54 it's looks just like a classic full.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #4846 on: March 16, 2023, 07:54:31 PM »
I’ll chime in and probably reheat what others have already said: classics wheelbite the least for me. Classics do feel like what I think a skateboard wheel should feel like. I ride smaller wheels, in general. Usually a 52 ish wheel.
Currently I’m really into some 52 mm conical full 101s. The shape does decent on rough ground, and after breaking in, the 101 isn’t so bad (I need help with slides, lots of help, and these are a little easier to slide).
Conical full 54s and up feel jacked to me. Just so heavy. I just skated some 56 mm radial fulls, huge, but I prefer the shape to larger conical fulls.
Tablets skate good and look weird.
I want to try og classics, smaller sizes of radials…basically smaller, but wider wheels, with a rounded shape. 54 is my usual ceiling.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #4847 on: March 16, 2023, 09:18:08 PM »
...but I just bought some 54mm Conical Fulls and I feel like I'm riding a goddamn monster truck. They're comfy to cruise on but popping anything is such a chore.

That's because the conical full trend is almost as dumb as the tiny wheel trend of the early 90s. Connie Fulls are good for crust and transition. Absent that, cast them to flame. They are called "Classics" for a reason (and yes, they wheelbite far less). :)
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #4848 on: March 17, 2023, 03:50:16 AM »
What would the pals advice if I want to flip my board on really crusty ground? Bigger diameter wheel or wider riding surface? I am currently on 52 regular Conicals. Before that it was always 54 Classics, but they don't work that well for the kind of spots I like to ride.
IG: @flowterspace

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4849 on: March 17, 2023, 04:32:57 AM »
What would the pals advice if I want to flip my board on really crusty ground? Bigger diameter wheel or wider riding surface? I am currently on 52 regular Conicals. Before that it was always 54 Classics, but they don't work that well for the kind of spots I like to ride.

Conical Full are only a mm or so wider all up than Conicals for the same diameter, so at 53 or even 54 they are still not too big overall, especially compared to the 55 or 56 mm sizes, but anything like that might still feel a touch too big if you are not used to it.

The good thing is Conical Full wheels are usually very easily available in 52, 53 and 54 mm sizes, so maybe even a 53 mm size might be one to try first, unless you can get that set from @pizzafliptofakie

Just a thought anyway.

One guy I skate with only skates Conical Full 54 mm wheels and will swap them out when they are 52 mm or bigger, so I do a trade deal with him to recycle his old ones, which I think are great for all rounders.

He does a lot of flip tricks and has no problem with those wheels for anything, so I would say it is just down to what you are used to more than anything.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #4850 on: March 17, 2023, 04:50:00 AM »
Thanks @Mbrimson88

I think it will be 52 Conical Fulls then sometime in the future. I won't do 53 or 55, but that is a completely different topic.
IG: @flowterspace

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4851 on: March 17, 2023, 05:20:40 AM »
Thanks @Mbrimson88

I think it will be 52 Conical Fulls then sometime in the future. I won't do 53 or 55, but that is a completely different topic.

I was going to also suggest the 53mm 99a Radials, which seem to be around right now. They have same width as Connie Fulls, but a slightly narrower riding surface. The more curved cut of radials makes them a tad better to get flip tricks started...but if you're not fucking with 53mm... 

Bill Salt

« Reply #4852 on: March 17, 2023, 05:26:05 AM »
STF beat em up good

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4853 on: March 17, 2023, 05:28:11 AM »

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4854 on: March 17, 2023, 05:32:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Did you get 54 mm Classics?

It's a funny thing that I would rather ride Classics, but I do like worn down Conical Full that I take the edges off for smaller all round wheels.  From new I like the Classic shape, especially as a 56 mm wheel for transition stuff, but they are a bit big for everything if I am skating smaller curbs or whatever.  Nice too when they have worn down a few mm.

A set of 54 mm Conical Full wheels from new feel a bit big, which is weird cause 56 mm Classics feel easier.

I had been able to get a whole lot of Classic 56 mm wheels for cheap on a big sale, so I am working my way through them.  It is going to take a while though.

I got 53 mm Classics. On paper only a millimeter difference but as I was swapping them I set the two wheels side by side and the difference was jarring. That surface area really makes a difference.

Expand Quote
...but I just bought some 54mm Conical Fulls and I feel like I'm riding a goddamn monster truck. They're comfy to cruise on but popping anything is such a chore.
[close]

That's because the conical full trend is almost as dumb as the tiny wheel trend of the early 90s. Connie Fulls are good for crust and transition. Absent that, cast them to flame. They are called "Classics" for a reason (and yes, they wheelbite far less). :)

That's kind of the funny thing is that sounds right up my alley. Transition felt okay enough on them but they felt a little less precise when it came to locking my truck onto coping. I know the theory is that the flat end is supposed to lock in better but with how wide they are I feel like I needed a lot more oomph to get into certain tricks.

thx for humoring my gear madness y'all  ;D

Pasta Monster

« Reply #4855 on: March 23, 2023, 05:37:09 AM »

When was the last time Spitfire did .5 mm wheels? They have 99 duro Radials in 55.5 mm and 57.5 mm (although the stock photo shows 53.5 mm). Someone in the past week or two posted a photo of a garage sale board with 48.5 mm wheels.

roll_dog

« Reply #4856 on: March 23, 2023, 06:57:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

As an alternative, I am a big fan of the regular conicals, which always seem ignored for some reason.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4857 on: March 23, 2023, 07:14:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

As an alternative, I am a big fan of the regular conicals, which always seem ignored for some reason.

I am bewildered that regular Connies are overlooked to the extent they are (not to mention Radial/Radial Slim).

roll_dog

« Reply #4858 on: March 23, 2023, 08:59:28 AM »
Yeah it makes no sense to me that the clunky conical fulls are the default for some reason. Regs conicals have that great roll and grabby lock in you want from conicals without the absurd size.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 343
« Reply #4859 on: March 23, 2023, 09:09:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I am bewildered that regular Connies are overlooked to the extent they are (not to mention Radial/Radial Slim).

I am currently riding the regular Conicals and i love them. im a big classic shape guy but these work SO good. I got a brand new set of 54mm F4 Classics I wanna trade
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[