Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 720441 times)

Gandito405

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #5310 on: August 22, 2023, 11:45:07 AM »
I was wondering which is better for skating transition/bowls. 57 lock in fulls in 99a or the 57 lock ins in 99a. I've been riding 58 conical fulls since started skating, they have a pretty big riding surface compared to regular lock ins. but the lockin fulls are really fucking wide so im not sure about rotating them on my ace 66s.

Samsquantch

• Rep: 60
« Reply #5311 on: August 22, 2023, 12:15:01 PM »
I was wondering which is better for skating transition/bowls. 57 lock in fulls in 99a or the 57 lock ins in 99a. I've been riding 58 conical fulls since started skating, they have a pretty big riding surface compared to regular lock ins. but the lockin fulls are really fucking wide so im not sure about rotating them on my ace 66s.

I picked up some 57mm Lock in fulls a few weeks ago after skating 56mm conical fulls since spring.

They are really, really wide, quite heavy, and I ended up pulling them off after a couple sessions. They were fine for transition,
but anything to do with getting the board off the ground... I'm just not macho enough for them, too much work. Best powerslide wheel I've ever tried though...

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5312 on: August 22, 2023, 04:03:36 PM »

To echo what some others had said about the newer Spitfire Formula Four wheels being a lot lighter in colour, I just got a few sets including some normal Radials and they definitely seem a lighter colour than some of the other Formula Four wheels that I bought last month.

I know they are the newest product so that would explain some of the older wheels looking darker, but overall I would imagine that they will still skate the same and feel the same.  Any which way, I am not about to open a new set just yet and have others to get through first, but the colour difference is interesting to see in person.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Samsquantch

« Reply #5313 on: August 22, 2023, 04:22:05 PM »

To echo what some others had said about the newer Spitfire Formula Four wheels being a lot lighter in colour, I just got a few sets including some normal Radials and they definitely seem a lighter colour than some of the other Formula Four wheels that I bought last month.

I know they are the newest product so that would explain some of the older wheels looking darker, but overall I would imagine that they will still skate the same and feel the same.  Any which way, I am not about to open a new set just yet and have others to get through first, but the colour difference is interesting to see in person.

They still potato pretty fast, here's a conical full that's a few months old next to a few week old lock in full. The conical fulls were super white when new.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5314 on: August 22, 2023, 04:38:54 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

They still potato pretty fast, here's a conical full that's a few months old next to a few week old lock in full. The conical fulls were super white when new.

Yeah, I love them when they get to that look and age.  They just hold up so much better too, but that could just be in my head.

I often go back to some of my older completes and they just feel so good, everything nicely worn in without being worn out, dead, etc.

Samsquantch

« Reply #5315 on: August 22, 2023, 04:42:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yeah, I love them when they get to that look and age.  They just hold up so much better too, but that could just be in my head.

I often go back to some of my older completes and they just feel so good, everything nicely worn in without being worn out, dead, etc.

You know it's funny you mention that, every set of spits I've gotten get a chip or two the first couple times out, but once they have a few sessions on them they seem to become indestructible,  never to chip again...

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 51
« Reply #5316 on: August 24, 2023, 08:23:31 AM »
See some 58mm Kader Radial Fulls. Think I’ll need risers with my standard Indys?

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5317 on: August 24, 2023, 08:49:23 AM »
i rode 58s on indy forged (53.5mm height) and Ace (53mm height) and it wasnt too bad. i tightened the trucks up a bit and its pretty reliable, never had any bad hangup or anything.

but i noticed liek 55mm wheel is kinda the sweet spot for those trucks where i dont even have to think about it.

you will be slightly higher up at 55mm height of indy standard, so i think you will be good. i would try it without first.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5318 on: August 24, 2023, 04:12:21 PM »
See some 58mm Kader Radial Fulls. Think I’ll need risers with my standard Indys?

i rode 58s on indy forged (53.5mm height) and Ace (53mm height) and it wasnt too bad. i tightened the trucks up a bit and its pretty reliable, never had any bad hangup or anything.

but i noticed liek 55mm wheel is kinda the sweet spot for those trucks where i dont even have to think about it.

you will be slightly higher up at 55mm height of indy standard, so i think you will be good. i would try it without first.

It comes down to how tight or loose your trucks are.

Tighter trucks can seemingly get away with a lot more, but looser trucks will often have more wheelbite.

That said, it is also down to the individual, as some people with super loose trucks and big wheels don't seem to have any issues, but others with the slightest board touch are on the riser war path, so to speak.

I would say try them as is first, then if you feel like you are having issues, maybe just try a cut up bike tube or 1 mm something just to see if that makes enough difference, because big wheels and 1/8" or 3 mm risers often just feels too tall to be comfortable if you are used to not having risers on smaller wheels.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5319 on: August 27, 2023, 03:04:40 PM »
I went with the 54mm Kader Radial Fulls. Compared them to the CFs to make sure they were wider. The 59mm ones were insanely large. It seems like Spitfire barely makes this shape in 54mm though.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
« Reply #5320 on: August 27, 2023, 03:07:32 PM »
I went with the 54mm Kader Radial Fulls. Compared them to the CFs to make sure they were wider. The 59mm ones were insanely large. It seems like Spitfire barely makes this shape in 54mm though.

how much wider are they than 54 CFs if you don't mind me asking. not the listed dimensions but if you held both in hand, big difference?

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5321 on: August 27, 2023, 03:28:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

how much wider are they than 54 CFs if you don't mind me asking. not the listed dimensions but if you held both in hand, big difference?

A little bigger. But I’ll take it 🤤

38mm vs 33mm according to my digital caliper.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
« Reply #5322 on: August 27, 2023, 03:45:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

A little bigger. But I’ll take it 🤤

38mm vs 33mm according to my digital caliper.

rad, thank you

diplodocus

• Rep: 159
  • long neck
« Reply #5323 on: August 27, 2023, 05:19:33 PM »
just got a set of radials after skating a conical full type shape, its a world of difference. The round edge makes it so much easier and agile.

rikki

• Rep: 302
« Reply #5324 on: August 28, 2023, 12:42:00 AM »
just got a set of radials after skating a conical full type shape, its a world of difference. The round edge makes it so much easier and agile.

This. Love the normal Radial shape after clunking away with overly wide wheels for a while. Would buy Radial Slims if I could find them somewhere. Seems like I'm going against the trend these days as I prefer slimmer wheels now. Feels lighter, too.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #5325 on: August 28, 2023, 06:36:38 AM »
i feel like fat wheels are best for people who are just skating a lot of different BIG spots all the time doing your go-to's as huge as possible. heavy terrain, always going regular... T Funk, Mason Silva, Jeff Carlyle come to mind. anything with FULL in the name lol.

if you are trying to do new tricks, it requires a lot of tries and you dont want heavy ass wheels for that, get more tries in on a light setup. classic or normal radial all the way. or i guess maybe small tablets if you only skate in straight lines / ledge wizard.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5326 on: August 28, 2023, 06:48:33 AM »
i feel like fat wheels are best for people who are just skating a lot of different BIG spots all the time doing your go-to's as huge as possible. heavy terrain, always going regular... T Funk, Mason Silva, Jeff Carlyle come to mind. anything with FULL in the name lol.

if you are trying to do new tricks, it requires a lot of tries and you dont want heavy ass wheels for that, get more tries in on a light setup. classic or normal radial all the way. or i guess maybe small tablets if you only skate in straight lines / ledge wizard.
I love tablets. The riding surface is big for their size. Probably my favorite Spitfire shape. I just got the chunky boys cause I’m injured and madness has me wrapped in its cold embrace lol

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #5327 on: August 28, 2023, 07:47:47 AM »
I used to only skate tablet shaped for a decent period of time (the bones version, or whatever the closest thing they have to it.). I think it is the ultimate "lock in" wheel for and sort of slide trick. but yes they have the fatter riding surface and typically i was riding these in stupid hard duros like 104a, and only skating at perfect skate plazas. seems like biggest thing spitfire tablet is offered in is 55mm and that is probably quite rare even. If you are gonna ride tablets, gotta go 51 or 52mm!!

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 823
« Reply #5328 on: August 30, 2023, 01:27:53 AM »
Looks like some new size Classic F4s coming in Spring 2024. 48mm and 66.6mm among others.

kimchi

• Rep: 2
« Reply #5329 on: August 30, 2023, 05:10:27 PM »
Just echoing some thoughts from the Wheels thread:

I've been skating about 2 years and was mostly on PP and Bones wheels (Dragons and X-formulas), with a set of OJs mixed in. Been mostly riding 99A F4 Conical fulls the past couple week or so and am just digging the hell out of them. I can't really articulate it, I just like the way F4 feels. The knock that Bones wheels feel "plastic-y" made sense after trying F4.

In my past few sessions at the skate park and a few neighborhood spots, I'm progressing a fuck ton. I more connected to the board and more confident. Last time something like this happened to me gear-wise, it was switching from cupsoles to vulc... like a hidden handicap suddenly disappeared.

I also seem to like Spitfire shapes better. Just wider contact patches across the board, feels more stable for me.

Anyone curious I picked up a set of those relatively new shiny Sapphires from a local shop:
  • Spitfire Sapphires 56A 90A - I picked these up on a lark after liking the F4s, they're a bust. I was hoping for a non-cruiser shaped wheel could skate more quietly around my house after dark without pissing off my neighbors, but they feel / sound pretty hard because of the 101A core-- noticeably harder than the Bones X97s IMO. Roll speed doesn't seem the best and are stickier than Dragons or X-formula in slides. I don't really get the target audience except maybe those who think colored clear wheels are cool?

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #5330 on: August 30, 2023, 09:02:37 PM »
Looks like some new size Classic F4s coming in Spring 2024. 48mm and 66.6mm among others.

What color is the swirl on the 48s? I really dig the Lil’ Smokies I have in that size/shape.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 823
« Reply #5331 on: August 31, 2023, 12:45:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What color is the swirl on the 48s? I really dig the Lil’ Smokies I have in that size/shape.

Looks like its just white but a proper graphic wheel instead of a lil smokie. 43mm, 48mm 52mm and 60mm 62mm and 66.6mm in a series.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1964
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #5332 on: August 31, 2023, 02:20:33 AM »

Bighead Shape getting some love
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 122
« Reply #5333 on: August 31, 2023, 06:39:38 AM »

Why don't they run a bighead shape in F4?

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 343
« Reply #5334 on: August 31, 2023, 07:03:11 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

classic wide is basically the same
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 638
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #5335 on: August 31, 2023, 07:21:45 AM »
more precisely

Classic full F4 53mm are 33.5 width / 18.5 riding

Kaezan

• Rep: -4
« Reply #5336 on: August 31, 2023, 07:38:58 AM »
Has anyone tried the 97D Spitfire F4 wheels?

I have been using the Bones X97, and really like them. Wondering how the Spitfires compare.

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 122
« Reply #5337 on: August 31, 2023, 08:05:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

classic wide is basically the same

Yeah they don't exactly run the Classic Fulls either...

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #5338 on: August 31, 2023, 08:36:56 AM »
I kinda feel like Spitfire is resting on its laurels. Bones came out with new formulas  with more diverse shapes. And spitfires like bro check it out clear wheels and full size wheels on the biggest shapes.

Spitfire step it up! I don’t like the fact right now I prefer x99. I can’t even look myself in the mirror

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5339 on: August 31, 2023, 09:03:10 AM »
I kinda feel like Spitfire is resting on its laurels. Bones came out with new formulas  with more diverse shapes. And spitfires like bro check it out clear wheels and full size wheels on the biggest shapes.

Spitfire step it up! I don’t like the fact right now I prefer x99. I can’t even look myself in the mirror

And this forum eats that shit up like it's the last supper. DLX can do no wrong, even by doing nothing.

That said, if it ain't broke...