Author Topic: What skater has the best spot selection?  (Read 6217 times)

botefdunn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 726
Re: What skater has the best spot selection?
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2018, 10:45:50 PM »
rocky norton had his eyes in the skies like jaws. also ditches and handrails.
dude didn't put out a ton of footage but ray chavez from the old thrasher vids always had some skinny wall hit. he was from albequerque too i beleive.
and to continue w/ that concept, joe motherfuckin valdez!

He still skates really good, met him a couple years ago, he owns microwave skateshop in abq now

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2018, 10:55:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'd like to point out that in some cases it's often the filmer who finds interesting spots and takes their friends there because good filmers have the eye for interesting and unique looking spots.

Having said that, Dane Brady, Ben Gore, Kevin Coakley, Koichiro Uehara, Andrew Wilson, Chris Jones, Jordan Sanchez, Tom Knox, Aaron Herrington, Kevin Rodrigues, Nick Jensen, Hiroki Muraoka, Danny Brady, all the WKND guys (Grant Yansura)
[close]

respect to the filmers, but you can often tell who doesn't find their own spots, because there's an impersonal quality to their clips. Sometimes it looks really good, but i don't think it can ever be on that next level without the sense of an esthetic connection to place.
[close]

I'm so glad to read I'm not the only one who feels that way. I've tried to explain this to several friends (all more casual skaters) before and a lot of times they would just give me that look like I'm crazy and read into things too much. sorry I'm sincerely interested in street skating, can sense that same sincerity (or lack thereof) in other people's footage, and just so happen to not be interested in videos of (mostly) kids doing skatepark tricks at street spots just because they were taken there. I think that's what Puleo has always tried to express in his interviews as well, but it's just so much easier to take things out of context and ridicule them than actually try to understand another person's reasoning, right?
[close]
I agree with you guys. I do believe all the names I listed after I said that are genuinely good spot hunters.
I also think it's okay when spot selection between a filmer and skater is collaborative; a prime example being Tom Knox and Jacob Harris. You know they're both finding those amazing London spots but I don't think that takes away from it. In fact I think it's makes it better.

Agreed, i sometimes come across a spot and know it would be perfect for a particular friend, i think this is possible when somebody's style and interests are developed and you are very familiar with their skating/ know them well/ appreciate similar things.

Nate

• Rep: 41
« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2018, 11:44:16 PM »
John Gardner.

Was going to post this but to add to it Tony Karr.

Allez_Jambon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 149
« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2018, 07:46:12 AM »
Patrik walner and Jonathan merhing

Who worked with Kenny reed? I don’t know why I am thinking rodent who I know very little about.

Gideon Choi

• Rep: 33
« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2018, 08:59:47 AM »
I like the fact that Gershon Mosley skated a lot of spots that you never see anyone else skate.

I like that Andrew Allen mostly skates alongside actual streets, sidewalk spots.

Kenny Reed of course for his worldly footage

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2018, 08:44:57 PM »
Patrik walner and Jonathan merhing

Who worked with Kenny reed? I don’t know why I am thinking rodent who I know very little about.

Brian uyeda shot some pretty good kenny photos, at least one tws spotlight i think

guccimanesfacetat

« Reply #66 on: June 01, 2018, 09:08:16 PM »
Kenny reed and puleo come to mind

Recently i'd say chris jones and daniel kim

Daniel Kim! Also Tom Knox, he always seems to bring something new to the table.

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 808
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #67 on: June 01, 2018, 09:09:57 PM »
I like the fact that Gershon Mosley skated a lot of spots that you never see anyone else skate.

I like that Andrew Allen mostly skates alongside actual streets, sidewalk spots.

Kenny Reed of course for his worldly footage
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

BigBoi

« Reply #68 on: June 01, 2018, 09:40:32 PM »
Andrew Allen and Aiden Mackey

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2018, 11:57:33 PM »
Eric Thomas
Very true, and I understand he finds a lot of them driving around for his job as an environmental scientist. That’s cool.

Edit: and you all should pick up the new Video he was in, Grains on the Theories site. A very well thought out Video.

Just Giver

• Rep: 17
« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2018, 01:53:29 PM »
Jon Rowe.

The correct answer.  May we never forget the shirtless switch flip into that cobble stone bank. 

el chino

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -376
  • ants suck!
« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2018, 04:33:18 PM »
Not vincent alvarez
<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/8ph4y/embed"></iframe>

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1570
« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2018, 06:02:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Eric Thomas
[close]
Very true, and I understand he finds a lot of them driving around for his job as an environmental scientist. That’s cool.

Edit: and you all should pick up the new Video he was in, Grains on the Theories site. A very well thought out Video.

backing this!

here's a link to two sections from the video and an interview with the filmmaker, Kevin DelGrosso, for the potentially interested: http://liveskateboardmedia.com/en/article/grains-kevin-delgrosso-premiere