Author Topic: Tokyo banning BLM in olympics (USA skateboarding)  (Read 7177 times)

Tempeka

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -1

Tempeka

• Rep: -1
Re: Tokyo banning BLM in olympics (USA skateboarding)
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 03:33:20 AM »
This is a obvious and shitty thing, if the olympics/Tokyo don’t recognize this, why would we allow to send people to skate and participate in this...

Ghost Face

• Rep: 110
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 07:19:39 AM »
It's Olympics "Rule 50" and it's not solely against BLM, it's against turning the Olympics into a political soap box.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1107491/beijing-2022-protests-lindsey-vonn

and other Rule 50 articles both for and against the rule.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/search?q=rule+50&sort=date
Jerrys Kid : "I work at my real job like I'm a pro skater. Years of work can be summarized to about 3 minutes worth of actual achievements."

kenjiro

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 07:21:52 AM »
Saying tokyo is banning this is misleading. it’s the olympic committee’s decision. the governing body of the olympics.

Ghost Face

• Rep: 110
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 07:24:45 AM »
yep, that's selective reporting and a baited headline to insight a reaction.

Jerrys Kid : "I work at my real job like I'm a pro skater. Years of work can be summarized to about 3 minutes worth of actual achievements."

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2021, 07:32:32 AM »
The Olympics are trash and embarrassing for everyone involved. Japan should cancel them and save themselves the headache.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1088
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2021, 08:15:14 AM »
Trying to avoid controversy is always a dumber move.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1084
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2021, 08:54:50 AM »
The IOC is, without exaggeration, one of the single most corrupt bodies on earth, so it’s rich to see this coming from them.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

bodegaboardercrew

• Rep: 4
    • Bodega Boarder Crew podcast avatar image
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2021, 09:04:37 AM »
I wonder what would happen if every person who supported BLM boycotted the Olympics. Because without those athletes the IOC doesn't have a competitive product and would lose their sponsors. Athletes have more power in 2021 than they ever had and should band together to change these rules.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2021, 09:14:40 AM »
My prediction for olympics is going to be like the oscars this year...epic fail ratings

The even added 4 or 5 virtual video game competition for video games popular in japan.  They all about sponsorship dollars not whos really the best athletes in the world

Ari Feldberg

• Rep: -25
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2021, 09:21:44 AM »
I don’t care how off he’s been lately, Bam Lyle Margera belongs on the circuit.

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2021, 09:24:49 AM »
It's an obvious point to prove, makes total sense
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 252
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2021, 09:27:19 AM »
The Olympics are trash and embarrassing for everyone involved. Japan should cancel them and save themselves the headache.

I heard that whoever backs out first (Olympic committee or Japan) has to pay a huge portion of the bill. I feel like Japan doesn't want the Olympics to happen at this point for many very obvious and logical reasons, but they don't want to be stuck paying for them.

Can anyone with a little more knowledge confirm/deny this?

Also yeah this headline is stupid and misleading clickbait bullshit

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 550
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2021, 09:28:37 AM »
The Olympics committee has been against using the Olympics as a political platform for a bit.

Like this famous moment from the 1968 Olympics wasn't well received by them

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2021, 11:56:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I heard that whoever backs out first (Olympic committee or Japan) has to pay a huge portion of the bill. I feel like Japan doesn't want the Olympics to happen at this point for many very obvious and logical reasons, but they don't want to be stuck paying for them.

Can anyone with a little more knowledge confirm/deny this?

Also yeah this headline is stupid and misleading clickbait bullshit
Supposedly they do but like this WaPo op-Ed says- who’s going to make them?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/05/05/japan-ioc-olympic-contract/%3foutputType=amp

It would probably mean Japan never gets another Olympics but at this point that’s a blessing for any country besides maybe the USA and then only when LA is the host.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 643
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2021, 12:36:02 PM »
"The opinion that [sport] should have nothing to do with politics is itself a political attitude."

The Olympics are hyper political and any attempt to ban certain forms of political speech is beyond lame and only comforting to those who are comfortable with the status quo.

To pretend the Olympics are is a sleight of hand that normalize all the shitty things about it.

When the Olympics bulldozes poor people's homes, uses trafficked labor, bankrupts cities, etc. it is certainly political. When the IOC is bribed it is political. When nations and citizens use their medal count to represent the superiority of their nation (and its political system, its economic system, etc.) it is political. When countries don't go to the Olympics (1980/84) it is political. When they show up it is political (1936 Nazi Olympics). How each sponsoring company treats its employees and the environment makes it political.  The opening and closing ceremonies are overtly political.

“After I came home from the 1936 Olympics with my four medals, it became increasingly apparent that everyone was going to slap me on the back, want to shake my hand or have me up to their suite. But no one was going to offer me a job.”
—Jesse Owens, 1972

« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 12:43:26 PM by TheLurper »

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

KBizzle

• Rep: -17
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2021, 01:23:56 PM »
Big TRASH.

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2021, 01:51:48 PM »
Big ups to Cathy Freeman for 'making it political'

« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 06:16:20 AM by Owen »
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

veritas

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2021, 03:41:42 PM »
For as long as I've watched them in my lifetime the Olympics have always been shitty background noise television to pass out at 3pm to.
There are studies that show a massive decline in sports viewership over the past years, and one of the reasons they attribute is the insertion of politics into sports. With viewership down overall for everything, this isnt really that shocking from a financial standpoint given the ad dollars they have to scrounge for

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2021, 03:54:19 PM »
For as long as I've watched them in my lifetime the Olympics have always been shitty background noise television to pass out at 3pm to.
There are studies that show a massive decline in sports viewership over the past years, and one of the reasons they attribute is the insertion of politics into sports. With viewership down overall for everything, this isnt really that shocking from a financial standpoint given the ad dollars they have to scrounge for

If it's true that "insertion of politics into sports" really led to decreased viewership, it's only because there were other political messages besides the ones the swine who quit watching sports because it became "too political" had become comfortable with.  Pretty absurd to believe sports hadn't already been thoroughly politicized, with fighter jet flyovers and tributes to the military/veterans/whatever and assorted other nationalist trash--sorry, "patriotism"--featured all over the place.  Kind of says a bunch when the smallest degree of visible pushback on the bullshit reactionary politics of professional sports makes sports fans quit watching.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 04:08:55 PM by Mr. Stinky »

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1084
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2021, 03:56:42 PM »

I know viewership is down across the board, but I just assumed it was because everyone in the developed world is now drowning in entertainment options. Can you point me to the study that attributes this to the political messaging of sports?
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2021, 03:59:15 PM »
I admit I got sick of hearing that stupid fucking God Bless America song at games but I think they got the hint and stopped foisting it on us

cky enthusiast

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2021, 05:41:04 PM »
I’m glad Tokyo is banning BLM at the Olympics. You shouldn’t be promoting a racial hate group at a sporting event. They would do the same if the KKK tried to promote themselves in the games.

grandpa who let you on the computer

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2021, 05:56:49 PM »
Lol, don’t people realize that banning stuff like this only brings more attention to it. If USA men’s basketball drops out of the Olympics over this you just gave BLM global attention.

Also, aren’t the most badass Olympic moments the ones with heavy political undertones? Like USA vs USSR hockey, or how Jesse Owens owned Hitler, or when all those war torn countries got together to make their own team?

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -198
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2021, 06:03:04 PM »
Nike gonna get make sure everyone acts right

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 257
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2021, 06:20:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If it's true that "insertion of politics into sports" really led to decreased viewership, it's only because there were other political messages besides the ones the swine who quit watching sports because it became "too political" had become comfortable with.  Pretty absurd to believe sports hadn't already been thoroughly politicized, with fighter jet flyovers and tributes to the military/veterans/whatever and assorted other nationalist trash--sorry, "patriotism"--featured all over the place.  Kind of says a bunch when the smallest degree of visible pushback on the bullshit reactionary politics of professional sports makes sports fans quit watching.

But that is the main point of team sports, no?

To garner a super simplistic sense of identity from what teams you like, and likewise follow groupthink on which teams to hate.

While it’s a celebration of athleticism, it’s a Trojan horse for creating consumed group identities, suspension of critical thinking, and emotional training for the same ideas on a national-scale.

It is training for unthinking patriotism disguised as entertainment .

I learned that when I was 7 or 8, I cried when my favorite hockey team lost a playoff. The next day I felt really weird for getting so upset about something I literally had zero connection to. I lost all interest in spectator sports, and had a big distrust of team sport mentality from that day.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 06:27:53 PM by cucktard »
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1413
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2021, 07:17:59 PM »
Wonder what brink has to say on this and US Olympic Skateboarding
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

cky enthusiast

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2021, 07:51:40 PM »
i’m watching dame lillard pull up from the logo and i’m like damn this is training for patriotism disguised as entertainment on a national scale

hadouken

• Rep: 54
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2021, 02:40:10 AM »

I don’t buy this for a second. Sure you had a lot of mouthbreathers get faux upset around the kneeling  and BLM stuff but if sports are dropping in ratings it’s because the act of sport is secondary to shoving advertising down people’s throats and squeezing every cent out of it.

The price of games to attend, the absurd broadcast deals and streaming options, the dragging out of game lengths (MLB is struggling to make the game faster in a variety of ways) and the lack of focus on junior sport development means people have just switched off (or are watching highlights elsewhere).

Let’s not also forget that e-sports is absolutely booming and it’s not because they don’t do politics.

Blaming politics for a drop in sports ratings is like blaming gun violence on video games. It sounds nice but its ignoring dozens of other massive issues for one simplistic answer. 
&& lives to fuck the tits off new mums

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -198
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2021, 03:56:05 AM »
i’m watching dame lillard pull up from the logo and i’m like damn this is training for patriotism disguised as entertainment on a national scale

He's a different breed of killer. That series /game winner on Paul George a few seasons gets me hard to this day