Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 211178 times)

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 470
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #1530 on: August 14, 2022, 05:59:04 PM »
Been thinking about those theeve all titanium hanger trucks and how it could be improved so basically could this work?

Ok so titanium baseplate instead and the mounting holes are smaller and threaded, have nylon so your hardware goes straight into the baseplate and doesn't need a nut. Would the hardware be able to connect the truck to the deck strong enough without a nut? Might need titanium mounting bolts too.
Could also have built in kingpin or a similar system for an inverted kingpin (may also have to be titanium).
Now also perhaps the pivot of the hanger could be titanium too so you have a titanium pivot in a titanium pivot cup and would probably never really break either again, rubber pivot cup however might get worn out faster.
Not sure how well it could be done but have the theeve all titanium hanger but with aluminium where you grind.

Titanium is lighter than steel so weight reduction for axle and kingpin is useful. However titanium is not lighter than aluminum so a forged aluminum baseplate is still much lighter than titanium.

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1531 on: August 14, 2022, 06:08:37 PM »
I’m pretty sure I went from the theeves to Thunder team TI’s and I don’t think the weight was much different.  I suspect getting the aluminum to bond with the Ti would be hard and as poorly as the truck grinded, they would have lasted forever…..

There’s a dude where I live who is obsessed with the g&s trucks and chromolly.  He’s made chromoly copers…

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #1532 on: August 14, 2022, 07:08:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Been thinking about those theeve all titanium hanger trucks and how it could be improved so basically could this work?

Ok so titanium baseplate instead and the mounting holes are smaller and threaded, have nylon so your hardware goes straight into the baseplate and doesn't need a nut. Would the hardware be able to connect the truck to the deck strong enough without a nut? Might need titanium mounting bolts too.
Could also have built in kingpin or a similar system for an inverted kingpin (may also have to be titanium).
Now also perhaps the pivot of the hanger could be titanium too so you have a titanium pivot in a titanium pivot cup and would probably never really break either again, rubber pivot cup however might get worn out faster.
Not sure how well it could be done but have the theeve all titanium hanger but with aluminium where you grind.
[close]

Titanium is lighter than steel so weight reduction for axle and kingpin is useful. However titanium is not lighter than aluminum so a forged aluminum baseplate is still much lighter than titanium.
I was thinking a little less about weight and mostly about strength for screwing the hardware straight into the baseplate and not needing a nut, holding an inverted kingpin tighter or having built in kingpin (which couldn't be aluminium) and and stronger in the walls of the pivot cup to avoid breakage.

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 889
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #1533 on: August 14, 2022, 07:20:21 PM »
Anyone have the DC Bronze clocker II’s and know the sizing for it?

Haven’t had DCs in a long time and I’m kinda in between sizes, I can usually make 12s work for most shoes besides cons, but if they run big I could go down to 11.5.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 990
  • the moon rules
« Reply #1534 on: August 14, 2022, 07:36:52 PM »

Haven’t had DCs in a long time and I’m kinda in between sizes, I can usually make 12s work for most shoes besides cons, but if they run big I could go down to 11.5.
@doomstation55
I am a 10.5 and ordered my regular size. They’re half a size too small. I also have some Metrics that I got in my usual size that are also half a size too small
fuck you bama

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1535 on: August 14, 2022, 07:44:03 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
@doomstation55
I am a 10.5 and ordered my regular size. They’re half a size too small. I also have some Metrics that I got in my usual size that are also half a size too small
I think DC's thing is they always run a little small

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 889
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #1536 on: August 14, 2022, 08:10:57 PM »
Gotcha so I’ll probably stick with 12’s in this case, thanks!

realbasedgod112

• Rep: 80
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1537 on: August 16, 2022, 01:40:20 AM »
could be slightly off topic but would it be possible to smoke out of a skateboard truck? it would look kind of cool i think
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #1538 on: August 16, 2022, 04:48:11 AM »
could be slightly off topic but would it be possible to smoke out of a skateboard truck? it would look kind of cool i think

It's definitely possible with hollow hangers.
But I doubt that's good for your lungs to inhale that extra metal of a truck ya know.
IG: @flowterspace

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1539 on: August 16, 2022, 06:32:06 AM »
Has anyone skated something similar to the Keen Ramps Slappy Rail? I have extra wood and was thinking of building something like that for my house. I dunno if I'd ever actually slappy up it tho and that kind of construction is worth it.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1078
« Reply #1540 on: August 16, 2022, 07:50:48 AM »

I've seen it on instagram. I don't it looks as cool as you think

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1541 on: August 16, 2022, 08:39:49 AM »
Is a 60mm spitfire classic the same shape as og classic?

Asked a while back if it would fuck with people's madness more or less if everything was measured in mm with mixed responses. What if everything was measured still in inches but always written as an 8th e.g 8.125 is 8 1/8, 8.38 is 8 3/8 or does it have to go down to 16ths. (Part of my madness is wanting everything to be uniform)

DERBY

• Rep: 261
« Reply #1542 on: August 16, 2022, 11:38:47 AM »
Is a 60mm spitfire classic the same shape as og classic?

Asked a while back if it would fuck with people's madness more or less if everything was measured in mm with mixed responses. What if everything was measured still in inches but always written as an 8th e.g 8.125 is 8 1/8, 8.38 is 8 3/8 or does it have to go down to 16ths. (Part of my madness is wanting everything to be uniform)

the f4s? nah

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #1543 on: August 16, 2022, 12:05:45 PM »
Might be a stupid question, but anyway..

My question is, will cupsole shoes mold to your feet after some time? Most vulc shoes seem to do that after a bit of wear.

I recently got some Emerica Gamma and just can't remember the last time I had a pair of cupsoles. Honestly I am not even sure I ever had cupsoles before.

The Gamma's are mad comfy and are not as bulky as I thought. I really hope these will be the shoes, that settle my shoe madness..
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 12:13:16 PM by fs1/2cab »
IG: @flowterspace

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1544 on: August 16, 2022, 12:17:23 PM »
Might be a stupid question, but anyway..

My question is, will cupsole shoes will mold to your feet after some time? Most vulc shoes seem to do that after a bit of wear.

I recently got some Emerica Gamma and just can't remember the last time I had a pair of cupsoles. Honestly I am not even sure I ever had cupsoles before.

The Gamma's are mad comfy and are not as bulky as I thought. I really hope these will be the shoes, that settle my shoe madness..
There's a lot more to it than cup vs vulc like how the shoes are constructed etc. I think the gamma tho are basically just a rubber sole with a padded midsole but no hollow grid so prob be about the same as a standard vulc with thick insole.
Might just take a tiny bit longer if the cupsole is harder rubber or something

Richard Skidder

« Reply #1545 on: August 16, 2022, 08:01:58 PM »

Pretty sure Girl used to label their boards this way.

vicious cycle

• Rep: 166
« Reply #1546 on: August 17, 2022, 09:47:50 AM »
I have an old pair of Half Cab Pro 's, I think the last ones before they changed them to the Skate Half Cabs.
On my old pair I needed to size down from 10.5 to 10.
Are the new ones identical in sizing or are they tts now ?
Thanks !
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #1547 on: August 17, 2022, 10:37:18 AM »
I have an old pair of Half Cab Pro 's, I think the last ones before they changed them to the Skate Half Cabs.
Thanks !

From trying on quite a few options in the Skate range (but not actually skating or wearing any for more than a minute), they definitely are more snug and don't stretch (blow out) like the old Pro shoes did within the first minute or so.

That said, some people have had to go up half a size from their other usual shoes, some say true to size is good.

Others can definitely give their own experiences too, but unless you like snug to tight shoes, I would be going up a half size from regular more than anything, so the opposite of the old Pro versions, which felt so soft and stretched out so much.

I think there were two threads running with a lot more information on them.

Vans Pro Classics Line To Be Replaced By Vans Skate Classic Line

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=115285.0

New Vans models

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=110394.750

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1135
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1548 on: August 17, 2022, 11:45:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Thanks !
[close]

From trying on quite a few options in the Skate range (but not actually skating or wearing any for more than a minute), they definitely are more snug and don't stretch (blow out) like the old Pro shoes did within the first minute or so.

That said, some people have had to go up half a size from their other usual shoes, some say true to size is good.

Others can definitely give their own experiences too, but unless you like snug to tight shoes, I would be going up a half size from regular more than anything, so the opposite of the old Pro versions, which felt so soft and stretched out so much.

New Vans models

In my experience, the skate Authentics and Sk8-hi's are TTS, but the Skate Slip-ons run super snug. I think other people have had similar experiences. Not sure if it's the new insole or if they made it much lower volume, but I had to swap insoles because they were super painful against the top of my foot after an hour or two and never really broke in.

vicious cycle

• Rep: 166
« Reply #1549 on: August 17, 2022, 03:58:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Thanks !
[close]

New Vans models

Thanks again mate !
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

Richard Skidder

« Reply #1550 on: August 18, 2022, 09:06:08 AM »
What makes a bearing make that creaky, “zipper “ sound? I have a brand new set of bearings that are doing it right from the start. Is it the retainer or something else? I hate it.

Slugboi22

• Rep: 69
« Reply #1551 on: August 18, 2022, 09:34:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Thanks !
[close]

New Vans models

[close]

In my experience, the skate Authentics and Sk8-hi's are TTS, but the Skate Slip-ons run super snug. I think other people have had similar experiences. Not sure if it's the new insole or if they made it much lower volume, but I had to swap insoles because they were super painful against the top of my foot after an hour or two and never really broke in.
yeah i had the exact same experience with my skate slip ons. luckily i didn’t plan on actually skating mine so the insole swap isn’t a big deal and does fuck with my head. also i’ve never had to change my vans sizing so far. always been 10.5 tts

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1303
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1552 on: August 18, 2022, 10:06:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Thanks !
[close]

New Vans models

[close]

[close]
yeah i had the exact same experience with my skate slip ons. luckily i didn’t plan on actually skating mine so the insole swap isn’t a big deal and does fuck with my head. also i’ve never had to change my vans sizing so far. always been 10.5 tts
I've roughly measured the space between the popcush and the top of the skate slip ons with my index and thumb and the thinness of what they expect your feet to be to comfortably wear these shoes is ridiculous. They definitely alienated a big chunk of people who loved the previouse slip on pros. I wear mine with converse insoles and they feel good enough but I would have preferred a slip on with the popcush that actually fit most human feet well.

I heard that the emerica wino g6 slips are pretty forgiving but they look pretty wide brand new and slip ons that get too wide and loose with wear also annoys me.

Slugboi22

• Rep: 69
« Reply #1553 on: August 18, 2022, 03:46:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Thanks !
[close]

New Vans models

[close]

[close]
[close]
I've roughly measured the space between the popcush and the top of the skate slip ons with my index and thumb and the thinness of what they expect your feet to be to comfortably wear these shoes is ridiculous. They definitely alienated a big chunk of people who loved the previouse slip on pros. I wear mine with converse insoles and they feel good enough but I would have preferred a slip on with the popcush that actually fit most human feet well.

I heard that the emerica wino g6 slips are pretty forgiving but they look pretty wide brand new and slip ons that get too wide and loose with wear also annoys me.
that’s funny! i probably have the exact same insoles you do in my slip ons at the moment. And i totally feel you on the wide slip ons. The only other slip ons i remotely like are janoski slips and those are torture for the first like week lmao. haven’t tried the Verona yet out of fear. Converse slips sucked when i had em. went tts and half size down, both of which bagged out super fast. Not interested in Emerica so i guess i’ll just stick with vans skate and swap insoles. :/

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #1554 on: August 18, 2022, 05:17:15 PM »
What makes a bearing make that creaky, “zipper “ sound? I have a brand new set of bearings that are doing it right from the start. Is it the retainer or something else? I hate it.

Usually not enough lube, but that sound seems to only occur after a lot of solid / heavy landings in most bearings I deal with especially people who ride raw or bearings with no shields.

What brand or make are they?

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #1555 on: August 18, 2022, 06:21:52 PM »
I’m pretty sure I went from the theeves to Thunder team TI’s and I don’t think the weight was much different.  I suspect getting the aluminum to bond with the Ti would be hard and as poorly as the truck grinded, they would have lasted forever…..

There’s a dude where I live who is obsessed with the g&s trucks and chromolly.  He’s made chromoly copers…
Pics. I can’t even imagine how they’d work other than like the mounting for the old tracker copers.

Richard Skidder

« Reply #1556 on: August 19, 2022, 05:33:00 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Usually not enough lube, but that sound seems to only occur after a lot of solid / heavy landings in most bearings I deal with especially people who ride raw or bearings with no shields.

What brand or make are they?

They’re Cheap Shots ( haha) but I’ve never had a problem with them before. These are brand new like straight out of the pack and on a cruiser setup with OJ Keyframes.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 628
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #1557 on: August 19, 2022, 05:42:14 AM »
Maybe a shield is warped
Defect or it can easily happen when mounting the bearings

Richard Skidder

« Reply #1558 on: August 19, 2022, 05:48:11 AM »
Maybe a shield is warped
Defect or it can easily happen when mounting the bearings
Shields are good, used a press and the Indy bearing saver tool (shrug). Defective I guess. Doesn’t effect performance just sounds weird. Maybe it will go away.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 628
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #1559 on: August 19, 2022, 06:12:23 AM »
oh you did it like a pro

some debris inside maybe
i already experienced a weird sound right after mounting while everything looked right and it went away after a few hours