Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 362054 times)

MxsDx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 98
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #2040 on: October 23, 2021, 11:48:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

SoCal has titaniums ya’ll
I was pleased to see the titaniums sold out on So Cal Skateshop.  Saved me from a pricey impulse buy.  I am currently skating a 5.6 hollow hangar on cast plates.  They are great. I don't need the temptation.
[close]

how is this set up? looking to lighten the pop feel without changing the cast height.
[close]
I’m running the the TI hangar on cast and I think it works great. Lighter but you keep the wheelbase and height of the cast plates

Yeah, I agree. I really like the cast in terms of overall wheelbase and pop. Adding the hollow hangar results in a more nimble/manageable feel as compared to the standards in my opinion. I asked venture if they have any plans of making a hollow kingpin/cast truck like the thunder team hollows and sadly they said no. I think that setup would be incredible.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2041 on: October 23, 2021, 04:42:13 PM »
venture should at least sell cast baseplates separately. i hold on to mine for dear life
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #2042 on: October 26, 2021, 11:42:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I was pleased to see the titaniums sold out on So Cal Skateshop.  Saved me from a pricey impulse buy.  I am currently skating a 5.6 hollow hangar on cast plates.  They are great. I don't need the temptation.
[close]

how is this set up? looking to lighten the pop feel without changing the cast height.
[close]
I’m running the the TI hangar on cast and I think it works great. Lighter but you keep the wheelbase and height of the cast plates
[close]

Yeah, I agree. I really like the cast in terms of overall wheelbase and pop. Adding the hollow hangar results in a more nimble/manageable feel as compared to the standards in my opinion. I asked venture if they have any plans of making a hollow kingpin/cast truck like the thunder team hollows and sadly they said no. I think that setup would be incredible.

Has anyone ever been able to definitively say how hollow/forged versions of the big 3 create a longer wb over their standard/cast counterparts? If the hangars are interchangeable especially, I’m interested in what’s going on with those baseplates. I ask a truck co. a super technical question like that in their dm’s it usually elicits a vague response that doesn’t answer the question like they have no idea wtf I just said but don’t want to put more effort in. It’s also very possible there’s just a few key holders to that type of information and they’re not the ones running the Instagram accounts. If such nerds exist within truck companies I wish they’d post up in here and give us the real facts and data we crave

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2043 on: October 26, 2021, 12:38:08 PM »
not my local but im thirsty
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #2044 on: October 26, 2021, 01:17:00 PM »

sick, i feel like it's not often we get a color baseplate with non-color hanger? but maybe i just don't notice unless it's white

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2045 on: October 26, 2021, 02:16:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Has anyone ever been able to definitively say how hollow/forged versions of the big 3 create a longer wb over their standard/cast counterparts? If the hangars are interchangeable especially, I’m interested in what’s going on with those baseplates. I ask a truck co. a super technical question like that in their dm’s it usually elicits a vague response that doesn’t answer the question like they have no idea wtf I just said but don’t want to put more effort in. It’s also very possible there’s just a few key holders to that type of information and they’re not the ones running the Instagram accounts. If such nerds exist within truck companies I wish they’d post up in here and give us the real facts and data we crave

Check the "wb of your trucks" thread, it is usually .1875-.25 in more.

MysticalTypeExperience

• Rep: 128
« Reply #2046 on: October 26, 2021, 06:29:05 PM »
Do Krux Downlow kingpins work with Venture High V-Light 5.8's?

toe_knee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 218
  • Get bent
« Reply #2047 on: October 26, 2021, 09:22:09 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

sick, i feel like it's not often we get a color baseplate with non-color hanger? but maybe i just don't notice unless it's white

I used to paint mine, pull the pivot cup out, then go to town, even had like metallic blue ones, Tony Silva asked about a pair I painted seafoam green one time, always like the painted baseplate and raw hangar look
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

timv

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 17
« Reply #2048 on: October 26, 2021, 11:32:19 PM »
Do Krux Downlow kingpins work with Venture High V-Light 5.8's?
Yes.  Getting the kingpin out of forged plates is a pain….

logjammin

• Rep: 343
« Reply #2049 on: October 28, 2021, 07:07:13 AM »
Inverted kingpins in Venture hi's? The kingpin is already plenty low, not really worth the extra headache imo

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2050 on: October 28, 2021, 08:13:23 AM »
Inverted kingpins in Venture hi's? The kingpin is already plenty low, not really worth the extra headache imo

IIRC, @Lloyd Braun did it and said it wasn't worth it. Also, I don't know of anyone ever getting the KP out of a forged plate...I'm sure its been done but the impression that I get is that it is extremely difficult.

MysticalTypeExperience

• Rep: 128
« Reply #2051 on: October 28, 2021, 09:14:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

IIRC, @Lloyd Braun did it and said it wasn't worth it. Also, I don't know of anyone ever getting the KP out of a forged plate...I'm sure its been done but the impression that I get is that it is extremely difficult.

Thanks for the patient responses...if I'm being honest I don't know the difference between forged and cast base plates. Looking it up now.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2052 on: October 28, 2021, 10:20:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks for the patient responses...if I'm being honest I don't know the difference between forged and cast base plates. Looking it up now.

No worries, the forged plates are what's on the lights/hollows/titaniums. Rather than the metal for the baseplate being cast, it is forged so it can be both thinner and stronger (the hangars are always still cast). It also makes it way harder to get a kingpin out.

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 33
« Reply #2053 on: October 28, 2021, 11:29:15 AM »
I know I could just dig back in this or the regular truck set-ups thread, but what are the unique traits of Venture vs the other next big truck brands? I've tried just about every other decent, or half-decent company at this point and it's got me curious what's up with these.

ImmanuelCunt

• Rep: 33
« Reply #2054 on: October 28, 2021, 11:50:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I did the conversion on thunder forged but I needed 10 kg sledge hammer to knock out the kingpin :D

I am contemplating getting 5.6s since an eternity but I am afraid of the "harder" grind because of the hanger shape some people mentioned because most ledges I skate are rather rough, chunked and have gaps/notches.

logjammin

« Reply #2055 on: October 28, 2021, 11:54:05 AM »
I know I could just dig back in this or the regular truck set-ups thread, but what are the unique traits of Venture vs the other next big truck brands? I've tried just about every other decent, or half-decent company at this point and it's got me curious what's up with these.

They're not Ace turn but they turn just as good, if not better, than Indy and the cast parts are still poured at ermico. Although, I will say the caveat being they need to be paired on a short wheelbase deck to acheive those results. Besides Destructo's, these are the lowest kingpins in the game and the hanger yoke sits tucked furthur back than the baseplate so these are like nearly impossible to hang up on, just stock as they are without fucking with inverted kingpins. The grind is smooth and consistent, I run them with 1/8" risers and my pop feels fine. I'm different than most who ride them for the street/tech purposes (crooked grind pinch and all that) which they will chime in. Tranny/curbs/hills, these rule. I tried going back to some Ace 55's yesterday and it just wasn't right. Feels like home now on an 8.25"-8.38" short wheelbase board with some 5.8's.

spanyard

• Rep: 77
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2056 on: October 28, 2021, 12:00:44 PM »

For me - since I still try tricks at my old ass age - Ventures really allow for more stable roll aways from landings, as opposed to my more squirrelly experiences with Indy's (which is pretty much the only other truck I messed with)...  Ventures also help me focus less on the pop of an ollie, and more so the follow-through of a trick.  I don't know maybe that one is too hard to explain? It's more of a feeling thing. 

Yes, Ventures turn "stiffer" or the carve is way less surfier than Indy's.  That can be a disadvantage depending how/where you skate.

But maybe this one is more important to some: Venture's slight increase in true-axle wheelbase has allowed me to mount them on boards with wheelbases ranging from 14-14.25 without much deviance in performance, making it kinda sorta my sweet spot or "goldilocks effect" of a setup.

spanyard

« Reply #2057 on: October 28, 2021, 12:02:32 PM »
Cheers to @logjammin - they expressed it better than I did.

spanyard

« Reply #2058 on: October 28, 2021, 12:05:42 PM »
Oh sorry, one more thing - I will say in my experience with grinding: you need to push more/faster to grind as good as you would with Indy's.  The cast material on the hangar of Indy's is just much more buttery for whatever reason.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 960
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #2059 on: October 28, 2021, 08:30:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They're not Ace turn but they turn just as good, if not better, than Indy and the cast parts are still poured at ermico. Although, I will say the caveat being they need to be paired on a short wheelbase deck to acheive those results. Besides Destructo's, these are the lowest kingpins in the game and the hanger yoke sits tucked furthur back than the baseplate so these are like nearly impossible to hang up on, just stock as they are without fucking with inverted kingpins. The grind is smooth and consistent, I run them with 1/8" risers and my pop feels fine. I'm different than most who ride them for the street/tech purposes (crooked grind pinch and all that) which they will chime in. Tranny/curbs/hills, these rule. I tried going back to some Ace 55's yesterday and it just wasn't right. Feels like home now on an 8.25"-8.38" short wheelbase board with some 5.8's.

This is A++
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1953
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2060 on: October 28, 2021, 10:12:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

This is A++

Pinch on the Lo variants with the forged baseplate is INSANELY good, great on the regular Hi variants like the 5.6 V-Hollow but on the 5.2 it's other worldly. You know exactly where you are on the ledge and you can really sit into the grind. I would say slide beats Thunder because of the baseplate design, you can really feel the baseplate rubbing against the obstacle.

Having stayed on Ventures for my last 3 setups I can say the pop feel is definitely heft and welcome change from the limpness of Thunder. Maybe it's because I'm riding the 148 Titanium so the weight reduction is working against me.

I always overanalyze but skating Ventures is a commitment, it's not like Thunder or Indy that will pair well with 80% of deck dimensions so you have to be conscious of your deck length and wheelbase.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

timv

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 17
« Reply #2061 on: October 28, 2021, 11:02:33 PM »
I broke the hollow kingpins on two of my forged plates.
Deluxe sent me new titanium ventures for my trouble!!!
I decided to try Krux DLK’s in my forged plates.
I had to drill out the broken out section and then pound out in a vise and large hammer… it wasn’t easy…..
I’ve broken one Krux DLK so far also….

Damoforce

• Rep: 24
    • YouTube Channel avatar image
« Reply #2062 on: October 29, 2021, 03:30:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I did the conversion on thunder forged but I needed 10 kg sledge hammer to knock out the kingpin :D

I am contemplating getting 5.6s since an eternity but I am afraid of the "harder" grind because of the hanger shape some people mentioned because most ledges I skate are rather rough, chunked and have gaps/notches.

I snapped my kingpin in my Thunder Hollow lights with the forged baseplate. For the love or anything, can not get it out!
Just an older guy trying to learn to Skateboard over 30 with developing gear madness syndrome

Join me on YouTube for skateboarding, reviews and ect

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
« Reply #2063 on: October 29, 2021, 07:44:07 AM »
I have issues even getting kingpins out of some cast baseplates these days....

Re : grind on ventures.....I mainly notice it on angle iron being a bit stickier....not so much on concrete.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #2064 on: October 29, 2021, 08:39:02 PM »
anyone try both the ace low bushings and the supercush 88s? which did you prefer?

looking to make a big boy/6.1 setup for small ny transition (3"-5") and dont want to switch to aces pop feel. hoping to learn kickflip to fakie and alley-oop backside flip this winter

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 48
« Reply #2065 on: October 30, 2021, 03:24:36 PM »
Hey guys, do you guys use 1/8 risers with 5.6 hi's for wheels over 54mm? im skating og classics rn and wanna know if I can throw away my risers cuz I was on thunder 149 before

im expecting ill need them cuz im 175pounds and venture 5.6 are only like 1mm higher than thunder 149

also, if the shop deck I bought with them ends up having a long wheelbase, what do I do to make them more surfy? can I just run them with bottom washers off without risking bushing degradation?

I also have my conical thunder bottom bushings that I shaved down like an mm or two (1 is kinda cracked). Could I put those in ventures to make them turn more "inward" to avoid wheelbite as well?

planning to try all of these strategies but wondering if anyone uses these techniques already

logjammin

« Reply #2066 on: October 30, 2021, 05:48:36 PM »
I'm cursed with loving loose trucks while being heavy, 220ish. I def use 1/8" risers with regular 5.8's and have to go 52mm or the wheelbite is still kinda bad. I can run Ace's with 1/8" risers up to 56mm and get like zero wheelbite. At your weight I'd say 54mm and risers you'll be good, minimal wheelbite.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
« Reply #2067 on: October 30, 2021, 10:56:20 PM »
I think you're still pretty close but, my thunder team 148's vs venture 5.6's.....the thunders I had more wheelbite for sure.  Seems like the geometry makes a difference....

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 48
« Reply #2068 on: October 31, 2021, 04:24:37 PM »
I think you're still pretty close but, my thunder team 148's vs venture 5.6's.....the thunders I had more wheelbite for sure.  Seems like the geometry makes a difference....

maybe the "quick" turn of thunder is owed to the truck arcing backwards like ace then pressing down onto the deck (explains why they have a quick turn but bad wheelbite)

and ventures dont have much arc anyway so perhaps the wheelbite is a lot less noticeable... hmm I guess ill have to see

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #2069 on: November 01, 2021, 07:48:05 AM »
The ollie 5.8s is great
That’s it.