Author Topic: building a quarterpipe  (Read 1219 times)

bongboarder420

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 60
building a quarterpipe
« on: May 20, 2015, 09:03:25 PM »
building a 3 ft tall quarterpipe and probably about 4 ft wide, how much would that cost and how much wood would i need?

Andrew

• Rep: 100
  • lightcatcher
Re: building a quarterpipe
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 09:12:01 PM »
i know a bunch of people who have followed this and had pretty good results

http://www.diyskate.com/quarter_02.html
The only thing you nerds grind down is yer keyboard keys.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 09:30:25 PM »
4 foot really isn't that wide, you might wanna consider some more grinding room, if you have space, if you wanna do anything other than axle stalls.

I've got one 5.5 foot long due to the metal coping i had available if i could've i'd have gone 6-8 foot.

That DIY site is good, i used that as a rough guide

Second Division

• Rep: 8
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 01:32:17 PM »
My friend and I built a 2 ft high, 4 ft wide one in my basement this past winter and based it off that DIY site posted above. We just made the radius tighter so it wasn't super mellow. But ended up costing about $100-135 all together I believe. We ended up using street signs for where the transition meets the floor though and that helped keep cost down.

And yeah, you can't really grind on it other than a quick frontside grind, but it's perfect for my small basement.

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 06:12:05 AM »
i know a bunch of people who have followed this and had pretty good results

http://www.diyskate.com/quarter_02.html

Interesting website, I'll definitely build something from it later on.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 05:22:46 PM »
Yo what can I use for metal for bottom of ramp? I take it aluminum signs would even be okay but I'm not going to go around town swiping signs from around town and the company I'd typically order metal for projects here and there (i tried to make metal rails one time so I could board grind, it wasn't worth it) doesn't really have spectacular prices from what I can tell.

JAesop

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 06:59:30 PM »
Home Depot and Lowes both sell metal plates in 12" and 18" sections with different thickness. Go for the thick stuff because it will bend otherwise. rout out the screw holes with a countersink first. Those plates are pretty $$$ though. I think I paid 20- something a plate.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 07:01:55 PM »
Home Depot and Lowes both sell metal plates in 12" and 18" sections with different thickness. Go for the thick stuff because it will bend otherwise. rout out the screw holes with a countersink first. Those plates are pretty $$$ though. I think I paid 20- something a plate.

word yeah I figure I don't want the screw heads scraping against my wheels. you know if it's aluminum/type of metal so i don't get lost trying to buy it?