Author Topic: slappy/curb discussion thread  (Read 88881 times)

Frank

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
Re: slappy/curb discussion thread
« Reply #150 on: April 26, 2021, 09:40:06 AM »
Does anyone else basically ride almost perpendicular to the curb and carving into it when doing a backside slappy? I've seen a lot of people basically ride in at a mellower angle, but it seems almost more difficult for me that way.

mellow or parallel angle is harder to let the back truck follow for sure. ends in a willy more often than coming in more perpendicular. but what helps me is focus on pushing toeside to heel and riding that back truck up. with the more perpendicular ones i feel like you let your back truck follow naturally afterr your shoulder when you turn in and that makes you come in more toe side anyway so there's less of a chance your back truck just bonks off sideways and you land in willy. like you already lifted off heel side so you are already coming in more like a wallride. it's a bit like bs powersliding into them and the more parallel you go, the more finesse it takes and the more you have to actually work the back truck up the curb imo. i probably actually kind of swerve and carve a bit into my bs slappy attempts when going rather parallel to offset the angle, too.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #151 on: April 26, 2021, 10:14:51 AM »
I wanted to bs slappy that one curb in a really narrow alleyway yesterday. Like two board lenghts wide only. I couldn't for the life of me get the back truck on.
Anyone else needs a lot of space and carve before smash into the curb?
IG: @flowterspace

EvenStevieNicks

• Rep: 30
« Reply #152 on: April 27, 2021, 07:02:13 AM »
Just learnt these.

Fantasise about skating a proper double sided red curb more than is probably healthy

Yes mate! That's a burner of a trick!

Rubbrick

• Rep: 140
« Reply #153 on: April 27, 2021, 07:42:48 AM »
Who are your guys favorite curb skaters?

Some that come to my mind are Lucero, Tom Knox (Santa Cruz), Jason Adams, John Benton & Ace Pelka
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 07:54:53 AM by Rubbrick »

cky enthusiast

« Reply #154 on: April 27, 2021, 07:51:09 AM »
barker barrett and danny sargent are the dudes i always look at

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1428
« Reply #155 on: April 27, 2021, 08:19:13 AM »

Some that come to my mind are Lucero, Tom Knox (Santa Cruz), Jason Adams, John Benton & Ace Pelka

Ace is both my favorite person to watch skate curbs as well as one of my favorite people to skate curbs with

meanmilk

• Rep: 1
« Reply #156 on: April 27, 2021, 08:42:06 AM »
Got to the Rockridge Breaks and had the beach AND the sweet waves all to myself for most of the session.
Nothing special to speak of on film, but fuck it... Feeling cute, might delete later.

Fuck yes! Rockridge is probably my favorite place in the world. When ever im back home in the bay it's the first place I go. Not to mention all the regulars there are sick as fuck

cky enthusiast

« Reply #157 on: April 27, 2021, 08:51:21 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Ace is both my favorite person to watch skate curbs as well as one of my favorite people to skate curbs with

woah u know him ? bruh... what’s he like when the cameras are off..

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2209
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #158 on: April 27, 2021, 09:17:28 AM »
All them thangs.
Lance & Neil too, for me anyway.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1428
« Reply #159 on: April 27, 2021, 10:00:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

woah u know him ? bruh... what’s he like when the cameras are off..

Normal

Jory4

• Rep: 106
« Reply #160 on: April 28, 2021, 09:03:35 AM »
Talking insta curb inspiration..

Dune (although he doesn’t seem to be out skating as much as he used to)

That whole curbcrushers grand order he skates with - hersk, bunnies and kitties etc ( only know their insta names!)

Dom Mabile ( sea rat ) & spencer nuzzi

Patty Fung is pretty rad ( @pfungcollects )

James Alby’s stuff is frequently WTF? ( @takingtigermountainbyslappy )

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
« Reply #161 on: April 28, 2021, 09:11:58 AM »

That whole curbcrushers grand order he skates with - hersk, bunnies and kitties etc ( only know their insta names!)

Willy Santos - been putting out a lot of fun curb content that also features his kid.

HeavyMetalChuck (don't know his real name) - always killing spots throughout LA/LB/OC

Destroyedwood - dude from Ohio who collects vintage boards and puts out dope curb content.

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #162 on: April 28, 2021, 09:17:32 AM »
I need to step up and get more serious about my curb game. I am 44 for fucks sake. I should probably make the transition over at some point.
ok thanks

EvenStevieNicks

• Rep: 30
« Reply #163 on: April 28, 2021, 09:19:06 AM »

James Alby is amazing.

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #164 on: April 28, 2021, 09:23:13 AM »
Dane Fucking Brady.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Jory4

• Rep: 106
« Reply #165 on: April 28, 2021, 09:45:22 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Willy Santos - been putting out a lot of fun curb content that also features his kid.

HeavyMetalChuck (don't know his real name) - always killing spots throughout LA/LB/OC

Destroyedwood - dude from Ohio who collects vintage boards and puts out dope curb content.

Yep!

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1400
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #166 on: April 28, 2021, 01:00:59 PM »
Slappy 5-0, FS and BS, are easier than 5050s. Learned this last night at this spot that's a sort of driveway with red curbs on both sides, making it sorta like a curb mini
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #167 on: April 28, 2021, 05:12:05 PM »
Slappy 5-0, FS and BS, are easier than 5050s. Learned this last night at this spot that's a sort of driveway with red curbs on both sides, making it sorta like a curb mini

Will def try this tomorrow
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Rubbrick

• Rep: 140
« Reply #168 on: April 28, 2021, 06:08:37 PM »
Dream man spot

TheDingus

« Reply #169 on: April 28, 2021, 06:17:14 PM »
I never seen anyone slappy into a nose blunt. Does that happen? I’d like to see it.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1400
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #170 on: April 28, 2021, 08:37:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Will def try this tomorrow

ya man, what I realized, for the way I go at it anyways, is that coming directly into the 5-0 I don't have to consider getting the front truck onto the curb first then shift the weight so the back comes up. it also enabled me to lock into some nice 5050 slappies too instead of slashes. I suck at this trick, so its a learning curbve
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #171 on: April 29, 2021, 12:21:26 PM »
You all ride a popsicle or a shaped board, or does it matter to you at all? Is there a shape or size that you feel like benefits you more when doing slappies?

I learned slappies (FS 5050) on a 7.75" board and 5.0 lows and used to care about that stuff a lot less, but as time has gone on I've enjoyed sizing up and now am on mostly either a 9"-ish football or 8.5"-9" pop. Love the look of a football but a popsicle with a nice big nose just feels so good on slappy crooks.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #172 on: April 29, 2021, 12:25:07 PM »
You all ride a popsicle or a shaped board, or does it matter to you at all? Is there a shape or size that you feel like benefits you more when doing slappies?

I learned slappies (FS 5050) on a 7.75" board and 5.0 lows and used to care about that stuff a lot less, but as time has gone on I've enjoyed sizing up and now am on mostly either a 9"-ish football or 8.5"-9" pop. Love the look of a football but a popsicle with a nice big nose just feels so good on slappy crooks.

i only run a single setup and that is streetfocused, haven't had any problem with slappies. but the dudes with rails on their boards go much farther on feebles and boardslides. been thinking about making a second setup. but for general skating a big shaped deck with risers, rails, possibly bigger wheels, would be a bit heavy for me to skate everyday.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1091
« Reply #173 on: April 29, 2021, 12:54:18 PM »

Like a lot of older skaters here, I fucked around with shaped decks but ultimately realized that, after ~50 years of development, we have arrived at a skateboard shape that works best for almost all applications - the popsicle. Now I have two completes, modern skateboards, one 8.25” with 144s and one 8.5 with 149s. Both are great for slappies.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2220
« Reply #174 on: April 29, 2021, 12:59:56 PM »
I never seen anyone slappy into a nose blunt. Does that happen? I’d like to see it.
I tried the other day,trying to figure it out but I'm not Daewon. I was trying fs,but for some reason feel like bs would be easier to get into as the body shifts back naturally when you slap the curb. Thinking of approaching it like a slappy over crooks.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #175 on: April 29, 2021, 01:51:48 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Like a lot of older skaters here, I fucked around with shaped decks but ultimately realized that, after ~50 years of development, we have arrived at a skateboard shape that works best for almost all applications - the popsicle. Now I have two completes, modern skateboards, one 8.25” with 144s and one 8.5 with 149s. Both are great for slappies.
Same. Shaped decks look cool but anyone saying they’re better is probably deluding themselves. Rails are nice though. Once you start applying them it’s really hard to go back to not having them though.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1091
« Reply #176 on: April 29, 2021, 02:18:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Same. Shaped decks look cool but anyone saying they’re better is probably deluding themselves. Rails are nice though. Once you start applying them it’s really hard to go back to not having them though.

And if you’re an old head, or a big dude who wants a wide board - good news - they make 9” and 10” popsicle decks! I convinced a friend to abandon his old school shape and buy a 10” shop popsicle deck after showing him how much easier slappy crooks are when you have a substantial nose.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Made In China

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 643
« Reply #177 on: April 29, 2021, 03:40:45 PM »
Here's a clip of Gilby doing it on a parking block:

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #178 on: April 30, 2021, 03:57:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

And if you’re an old head, or a big dude who wants a wide board - good news - they make 9” and 10” popsicle decks! I convinced a friend to abandon his old school shape and buy a 10” shop popsicle deck after showing him how much easier slappy crooks are when you have a substantial nose.

NGL you're kind of selling me on it. I've never been good enough to feel like there was a substantial difference but that trick an exception.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #179 on: April 30, 2021, 05:13:34 AM »
I agree that the popsicle is probably the most pragmatic for most tricks, but I sometimes enjoy a shaped deck specifically because it’s less agile. Keeps me from popping the board around and getting too ambitious on days when I want to go easy on my knees. And of course carvy turns are a bit more fun on a shaped deck as well in my opinion, but that’s just personal preference. Anyway I guess this is just what people call a “cruiser,” but cruisers are still fun for slappies  :)