Author Topic: bikes  (Read 307716 times)

tre killa

Re: bikes
« Reply #480 on: April 12, 2011, 11:48:46 AM »
Bianci volpe me and my dad found it in really good condition at the recycling center.

« Reply #481 on: April 12, 2011, 01:26:27 PM »

Rode so nice in this last brutal Wisconsin winter.

Zurg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #482 on: April 12, 2011, 01:52:26 PM »
just recently bought a $130 beater road bike off craigslist and am pretty stoked on it. my uncle said he'd give me all the parts to build a second bike and judging by how into biking he is im sure itd be a lot better than my current bike.

i dont know much about bikes, but whats the real advantage to having a nice expensive frame?

daniel

• Rep: 35
« Reply #483 on: April 12, 2011, 04:40:07 PM »
just recently bought a $130 beater road bike off craigslist and am pretty stoked on it. my uncle said he'd give me all the parts to build a second bike and judging by how into biking he is im sure itd be a lot better than my current bike.

i dont know much about bikes, but whats the real advantage to having a nice expensive frame?

Babes; Hipster loving babes.

penguin meat

« Reply #484 on: April 12, 2011, 09:17:34 PM »
A used Masi I picked up for $100.  Some old Italian dude told me it was a great bike. I agree. It even has two bottle holsters.

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #485 on: April 12, 2011, 11:37:02 PM »
Quote from: daniel  link=topic=28161.msg1425062#msg1425062 date=1302651607
Expand Quote

[close]

it's like having good wood.  except it last forever.

that's what she said.

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 991
« Reply #486 on: June 01, 2011, 03:00:39 PM »
Picking up a cross check today. Kind of stoked to have my first bicycle in a few years. Anybody else have one?

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #487 on: June 02, 2011, 02:35:24 AM »
just picked up one of these to get arround in the summer, felt kinda lazy using my motorbike to get everywhere

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #488 on: June 02, 2011, 07:48:29 AM »
got some new red wheels for my single speed. need to get a freewheel remover, or another freewheel to put the back wheel on. kind of annoying.

« Reply #489 on: June 02, 2011, 09:33:44 AM »
Picking up a cross check today. Kind of stoked to have my first bicycle in a few years. Anybody else have one?

Such a versatile bike

steve

• Rep: 45
« Reply #490 on: June 02, 2011, 02:25:05 PM »
Quote from: daniel  link=topic=28161.msg1425062#msg1425062 date=1302651607
Expand Quote

[close]

i think my ancient bianchi celestial rust frame takes the cake on that one.

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #491 on: June 02, 2011, 05:32:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Such a versatile bike
Got dropped off to buy it and rode it home. Really smooth. Got the beef gravy brown color. The guy accidentally left his rack on it. He just called to say I could keep it. It was a good day.

steve

« Reply #492 on: June 13, 2011, 04:50:12 PM »
was just given some tires and bar tape today.

this bike is as minimalist as it gets. i've paid for none of it!

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1610
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #493 on: June 13, 2011, 09:20:02 PM »
I thought that fixed gears were for those people you know.  Ive been broke for a while and my knee has been gay so I have given it a go and it is actually pretty fun (in comparison to doing nothing and drinking).  Riding a bike you see spots that you've driven by a million times and never paid attention to.  I can't believe how much "pedaling in circles" helps.  I have a mountain bike riding around like an idiot, which is what I want, but what I want to know is, what do you guys do to make sure your bike is operating properly?  Mine is starting to make noises.  LOUD noises.  And I don't like it one bit.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

steve

« Reply #494 on: June 13, 2011, 09:33:02 PM »
I thought that fixed gears were for those people you know.  Ive been broke for a while and my knee has been gay so I have given it a go and it is actually pretty fun (in comparison to doing nothing and drinking).  Riding a bike you see spots that you've driven by a million times and never paid attention to.  I can't believe how much "pedaling in circles" helps.  I have a mountain bike riding around like an idiot, which is what I want, but what I want to know is, what do you guys do to make sure your bike is operating properly?  Mine is starting to make noises.  LOUD noises.  And I don't like it one bit.

dude, riding a bike is one of my earliest favorite memories. once i started riding again recently i remembered why it was so cool when i was a young kid; it's just fun as fuck.

i dig riding a fixed gear because it's fast and the maintenance is minimal.

William Jefferson Clinton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -228
« Reply #495 on: June 13, 2011, 10:10:01 PM »

penguin meat

« Reply #496 on: June 13, 2011, 10:50:22 PM »
Last night I was veered off the road by some ass who was completely adamant about bikes not riding in the street.  Fucker swerved  into the curb and honked his horn and I ate shit. All around it sucked because I popped my front tire, acquired several scrapes, bashed up my digital camera (still works), and I wasn't able to call the cops because I left my phone at home. 

Some douche bags just hate bikes

kevbo999

« Reply #497 on: June 14, 2011, 02:59:26 AM »
Sorry to hear man.  To me, any ride to or from work without close calls is a great one.  Commuting by bike can really make you hate people.. but it feels good at the same time.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 03:01:00 AM by Otis Shredding »

bentmode

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Da$h
« Reply #498 on: June 14, 2011, 07:47:16 AM »
one of the cheapest frames ive seen ever,i hear there are some possible defects though.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_527355_-1_202897_10000_202955
Han solo blew up the Death Star in Episode 4.  Heard it from a friend.  Reliable source.

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #499 on: June 14, 2011, 10:34:54 PM »
one of the cheapest frames ive seen ever,i hear there are some possible defects though.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_527355_-1_202897_10000_202955

wow, that looks like a bargain. Haven't heard many complaints about the regular Fuji Tracks, but they are completely different. The integrated seat tube sounds like a bit of a hassle, and max 44t chain ring for a real track bike seems strange.
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

Nanda Zinger

• Rep: 56
« Reply #500 on: June 29, 2011, 02:47:49 PM »
Heres my main ride... 80s Spalding single speed.

And for fun... 1976 American Flyer muscle bike

And 1968 Sears Screamer

bentmode

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Da$h
« Reply #501 on: June 29, 2011, 07:31:31 PM »
i like how the last one has a flat tire. dope bikes, nada zinger. tacky yet refined. 
Han solo blew up the Death Star in Episode 4.  Heard it from a friend.  Reliable source.

MrMello

• Rep: 8
« Reply #502 on: June 30, 2011, 10:48:59 AM »
Wished I had money for a single speed. i'll I got right now is a beach cruiser. Its still fun though.

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #503 on: July 25, 2011, 11:04:07 AM »
Put over 600 miles on the cross check in the last two months. 480 on a tour. First bike I've own since my childhood mountain bike. I'm really stoked that it's getting me places faster in the city than a car can.

Hexagon

« Reply #504 on: July 25, 2011, 12:14:13 PM »
Got an old 95 specialized crossroads off some customer at a place I worked at a while back for 40 bucks, roommate at the time stole it and then found it in some yard and after waiting to get some extra cash to fix the tires and all kinds of shit on it, finally got it done today. Sucks since I lost my tools in a move, could of saved some money vs paying for repairs I could of done personally. But I'm stoked to have a bike again and gonna get up super early and start riding the shit out of it. Plus I can't afford repairs on my car currently so this is the best option.

My other one is a 70's/80's Kalkhoff touring bike and had like 4 things happen (pedal broke, chain kinked up, rim bent, and finding a crack in the bottom of the frame) when I was riding to a store and hit a small pot hole. Was bummed had the bike for like a month. But I'm gonna attempt to find a fix for it.

oneshovel

« Reply #505 on: March 22, 2012, 06:43:30 AM »
Today's bike to work really makes me want to stop biking in this city. Two dudes slowed down to flip me off for leaving 2' between myself and the cars on the shoulder. So I asked the 2nd guy at a red light what's the problem, he fuckin flipped and got out to yell at me, holding up a line of cars at a green light.  Insane.  This coupled with roomie drama has my nerves shot to fuck.  I need a million hugs.

steve

« Reply #506 on: March 22, 2012, 06:53:57 AM »
Put over 600 miles on the cross check in the last two months. 480 on a tour. First bike I've own since my childhood mountain bike. I'm really stoked that it's getting me places faster in the city than a car can.

NIIIICE!!!!

I broke out the cross check for the first time in a few months last night. I've got an 09 beef gravy brown beast. Such a great ride. My brother has the LHT. We did a killer tour with em last summer and the LHT was like a fucking tank but for the extra weight, it's just not worth it. CC all day!

steve

« Reply #507 on: March 22, 2012, 07:30:22 AM »
I'm psyched I get to ride my bike again.  I just have a Cannondale mountainbike.  I used to ride it all over Europe, averaging about 80-100 miles a week, but I more or less stopped when I joined the military because I've deployed so much and because I just moved it home to KC.  My wife is getting more into it as well since she's recovering from a knee injury and it's easier on her than running.

Cannondale makes a nice aluminum frame. I like steel frames myself, there's more flex and the weight difference isn't that significant.

these are 2 surly frames, the green is a long haul trucker, the brown a cross check. both are great chromoly frames. if you want to get into riding, surly is worth checking out. I hopped on the CC for the first time and though "holy shit, this is the sickest bike i've ever ridden"

here's my bianchi fixed gear. it's about to go though. the housing for the bottom bracket is completely rotted. i jam up curbs, jump little gaps and ride trails with this thing. I can't rationalize using a nice bike to do these things with so I'm waiting for this shit to just drop out.

anyone have a univega? that's what i want to use to build up my next fixie.

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #508 on: March 22, 2012, 08:25:06 AM »
gor two birdy bikes, one from the 60ies one from the 80ies, a good old fashioned mountainbike i don't ride that often
and an old atala racer i turned into a singlespeed.
to that guy who said he ain't got enough money for a singlespeed, just do everything by yourself. a bike isn't that complicated, just check some youtube tutorials. i found the race frame in the dumpster, just start from there. the entire bike didn't cost more than 150 euros.
i highly recommend DIY, otherwise you could buy a heavy prebuilt chinese complete bike for that same money, but your bike will weight 25kilos. and look like it's from wallmart.
and to herculessrockefeller: that's not a singlespeed, that's omas r?cktrittkraxn, auch wenn puch oben steht.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 08:27:35 AM by pica »

steve

« Reply #509 on: March 22, 2012, 08:42:16 AM »
I'd love to have the options, but the Cannondale will have to do for now.  Bikes are expensive and my extra money goes right into art supplies and motorcycle stuff.  Steve- you're on my facebook, did you see the custom motorcycle pegs my homie made?  I am so psyched to start working with those dudes.

Cannondale  is a good bike, don't get me wrong. Riding bikes for me, though, has become similar to skating in that I find stuff from certain companies more physically and stylistically comfortable.

I deleted the facebook about a year ago! I'd like to see that though. Can't wait to see you start tattooing again. Actually, when you've got time I'm gonna PM you about an idea for something you might be able to draw. a cambodian naga.

also, on facebook check my homie andrew pequita. dude's a nasty tattoo artist who would be right up your alley