Author Topic: bikes  (Read 307729 times)

dillanharp

Re: bikes
« Reply #720 on: July 13, 2015, 09:52:32 PM »
Do you guys have any recommendations for a good online shop?

Stevie Storm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
« Reply #721 on: July 14, 2015, 05:34:45 AM »
This is the bike I was talking about taking the parts off because its way too small     . Its possibly got the worlds worst paint job too.
Gape city

BMCsteve

« Reply #722 on: July 14, 2015, 09:29:28 AM »
Do you guys have any recommendations for a good online shop?

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/  has been my go to online shop for years.  Great prices and customer service

tumulishoomaroom

• Rep: 48
« Reply #723 on: July 14, 2015, 12:29:44 PM »
that is pretty.  how much did you spend?
Thanks ! About 600 euros plus 70 for that bordo lock; but well, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

colin

« Reply #724 on: July 15, 2015, 07:24:18 PM »
This is the bike I was talking about taking the parts off because its way too small  

Huh, your stuff is newer than I thought - looks like you've got and English bottom bracket, but I can't quite tell from the pic. Dude, if I were you I'd head to your local shop and ask for the specs of exactly what you've got on there, and then you can start shopping. A good shop should tell you because you'll probably be back to buy tubes, tires, who knows...
I'd hate to recommend a frame that doesn't take what you've got.
A cursory look at ebay for a 58cm frame reveals a hornet's nest of options.
One thing I did notice are several 70s and 80s steel frames for good prices, but then you would need a different crank set (assuming yours is English) because they all have square taper bottom brackets. Maybe you sell your shit and get something old?

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 664
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #725 on: July 15, 2015, 08:16:24 PM »
Expand Quote
This is the bike I was talking about taking the parts off because its way too small  
[close]

Huh, your stuff is newer than I thought - looks like you've got and English bottom bracket, but I can't quite tell from the pic. Dude, if I were you I'd head to your local shop and ask for the specs of exactly what you've got on there, and then you can start shopping. A good shop should tell you because you'll probably be back to buy tubes, tires, who knows...
One thing I did notice are several 70s and 80s steel frames for good prices, but then you would need a different crank set (assuming yours is English) because they all have square taper bottom brackets. Maybe you sell your shit and get something old?

Fork, stem and headset will not fit old bikes either.  You have a threadless headset, and a clamp on stem.  Likely a 1 1/8".  Older stuff, like the giant you posted from ebay, had a threaded 1" headset.   Do your research, or get help before buying anything expensive.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1495
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #726 on: July 16, 2015, 06:21:24 AM »
I live in a very bike-able city and commute daily 9 km in one direction. I currently use my 15 years old basic Trek MTB with city tires (the bike is in a pretty bad shape, but still works). I had a better Scott MTB, but it was stolen 3 years ago.

So, I have my eyes on this Cube bicycle that looks like a perfect commuter that would also last many many years (I also commute in snow, but not when it is raining):

http://www.cube.eu/en/bikes/tour/travel/cube-travel-sl-rf-anthrazit-green-2015/

colin

« Reply #727 on: July 16, 2015, 12:49:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Fork, stem and headset will not fit old bikes either.  You have a threadless headset, and a clamp on stem.  Likely a 1 1/8".  Older stuff, like the giant you posted from ebay, had a threaded 1" headset.   Do your research, or get help before buying anything expensive.

Joust Ostrich is right, and then look what popped up on one the of sidebar adds on my email:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product//B00HFZLW9G/ref=twister_dp_update?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think that will fit all your stuff, and it comes in a 58cm, assuming you are a 58. Make sure to use that measurement link I posted above, and then you may be on to something...

Stevie Storm

« Reply #728 on: July 17, 2015, 08:19:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Joust Ostrich is right, and then look what popped up on one the of sidebar adds on my email:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product//B00HFZLW9G/ref=twister_dp_update?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think that will fit all your stuff, and it comes in a 58cm, assuming you are a 58. Make sure to use that measurement link I posted above, and then you may be on to something...
Oh dude something like that would be perfect but they won't post it to Australia which sucks. I used the frame sizing thing and I think I'm more like a 60cm. Ive pretty much realised that the swapping the parts over might be too big of a task for me because I don't know if I have all the right tools for the job and I'm a full newbie with bikes. I real keen though on picking up something old and steel which was suggested earlier. I'll try to clean that small bike up and sell it too fund gettin something a bit nicer like $400aus. Cheers for the advice it's been super helpful.
Gape city

jack burton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #729 on: July 19, 2015, 06:22:14 PM »
Bought this over the winter off craigslist

Stevie Storm

« Reply #730 on: July 19, 2015, 10:04:55 PM »
That's badass, how much did it set you back? There is fuck all in my price range in Aus.
Gape city

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #731 on: July 20, 2015, 09:42:48 AM »
A lot of really rad bikes of all kinds in this thread!  here are mine

Lynskey Titanium Custom for the road

Santa Cruz Superlight for the trails

And this for when I want to go a little faster

Your name doesn't make sense now?

jack burton

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #732 on: July 20, 2015, 09:50:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
That's badass, how much did it set you back? There is fuck all in my price range in Aus.

I had went to the bike shop and was trying to decided between that and the surly straggler. The all city was on sale for $1600 and I found it on craigslist from a guy who worked at that shop selling it for $1000. Just had to buy a saddle and pedals.

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 664
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #733 on: July 20, 2015, 05:11:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I had went to the bike shop and was trying to decided between that and the surly straggler. The all city was on sale for $1600 and I found it on craigslist from a guy who worked at that shop selling it for $1000. Just had to buy a saddle and pedals.

That thing is nice.  Macho man, right?  Good for you.  Excellent buy.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 374
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #734 on: July 20, 2015, 06:03:46 PM »
Fuck I love bikes, probably the only thing I love as much as skating, here's my current ride, but it'll be retired in a matter of days...

...Because of this, which fits me way better, just waiting on my bars and then I'll have almost everything on my Windsor swapped over

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

sufodiv

• Rep: -5
« Reply #735 on: July 20, 2015, 09:09:59 PM »

nice man, thinking about building myself up a cross bike once winter rolls around.

jack burton

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #736 on: July 21, 2015, 06:52:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

That thing is nice.  Macho man, right?  Good for you.  Excellent buy.
Yessir. Was super stoked to find it.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
« Reply #737 on: July 21, 2015, 10:21:11 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Do you do the same with bikes as skate stuff?  Put it for sale for a quarter the price after riding it once.....lemme know....

planman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #738 on: July 24, 2015, 12:48:06 PM »
New bars came in today, Cinelli Criterium, gonna order omniums on monday then she'll be ready. Wrap job is trash but I'm too lazt to do it again.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

BMCsteve

« Reply #739 on: July 24, 2015, 03:53:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Do you do the same with bikes as skate stuff?  Put it for sale for a quarter the price after riding it once.....lemme know....

Everything in those pics I've had for years.  I like trying new things until I find what I prefer.  Bikes and motorcycle stuff is expensive so I tend to buy less.  $50 for a board twice a month isn't going to put me in the poor house
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 03:57:21 PM by BMCsteve »

BMCsteve

« Reply #740 on: July 24, 2015, 03:55:52 PM »

I had a BMC around 2009 and the name just stuck

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #741 on: July 25, 2015, 05:54:44 PM »
Man, I've been really thinking of buying (or building, whichever's cheaper) a single speed cross bike

Any of you guys ride one? I'm just looking for something a little more robust than my regular single speed road bike.

jack burton

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #742 on: July 26, 2015, 12:06:16 PM »
Might be biased cause I just like All Citys stuff but they make a single speed cross bike. Havent ridden it and not sure what your price range is but check it out.

http://allcitycycles.com/bikes/nature_boy

planman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #743 on: July 26, 2015, 02:17:35 PM »
Everybody who owns a Nature Boy seems to love it

colin

« Reply #744 on: July 26, 2015, 06:01:51 PM »
Hmmm, that bike looks like fun, but man they blew it on those fucking levers - this is what you want:

I was reading the other day that All City puts cheaper components on its bikes relative to the competition at its price points. I would definitely pay $40 more to get the S500 levers vs. those Tektro abominations.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #745 on: July 30, 2015, 08:37:17 PM »
Man I've been seriously considering getting my frame powder coated to a nice silver color (currently black)

Any of you guys ever done that? I'm gonna start calling around the shops tomorrow for quotes

BMCsteve

« Reply #746 on: July 31, 2015, 02:02:38 PM »
Man I've been seriously considering getting my frame powder coated to a nice silver color (currently black)

Any of you guys ever done that? I'm gonna start calling around the shops tomorrow for quotes

Powder coating is great.  Just make sure you go somewhere that does media blasting and not sand blasting

planman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #747 on: August 02, 2015, 03:05:36 PM »

Silver sure would look good like this, but have you thought raw with a clear coat?

colin

« Reply #748 on: August 02, 2015, 04:21:22 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Silver sure would look good like this, but have you thought raw with a clear coat
Totally agree with this; when the dude at my shop ground off some of the paint on my seat stays to cut off the bridge and weld if further up, I was like, "I wish my whole bike was like that."

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 722
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #749 on: August 02, 2015, 05:50:06 PM »
I don't know shit about bikes but I really want one. Have you guys heard of Priority Bicycles? I really like that they've got a belt drive. Are they any good? At $430, are they worth it?
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?