Author Topic: bikes  (Read 307777 times)

Síota and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Squirrel Girl

Re: bikes
« Reply #840 on: August 01, 2016, 04:03:19 PM »
^
I like that thing. It is small for you though. I'm 5'10" and have pretty short legs, I'm on a 56. I need to ride my bike more but I'm terrified of getting hit by a car around here. Literally every other day a cyclist seems to be hit.

Ah, shucks, that figures, I have rather long legs. I'm beating my knees on the stem, they're pretty bruised and purple. My first week of riding someone threw a "my little pony" toy at me going the other direction and gave me a black eye. You guys have a bunch of Rails-to-Trails though, right? My parents live nearby where you're from and ride 'em regularly. I'm kinda jealous.  :P

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #841 on: August 01, 2016, 06:32:25 PM »
A friend of mine has a SE Bikes - OM Flyer.  It's a 26" BMX bike, and is super fun, quick, and comfortable.  I wouldn't pay full price, but if there was a nice used one, I'd consider it.

Like this.

I have a 2011 model. Best bike i've ever owned.

pancake man

• Rep: 34
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #842 on: August 02, 2016, 07:27:37 PM »

I love my bike. I bought it off an elderly man on Craigslist for cheap. It's a 1987 Schwinn Le Tour. Unfortunately, it needed a bunch of work. I buffed out the rusty frame with steel wool and sprayed some clear coat so it wouldn't come back. Many parts needed replaced, like the headset, brake levers, cables, stem, seat, bar wrap, rear derailleur, tires, tubes, chain, both wheels, brakes, and bottom bracket. I put a lot of work into her.

I'm afraid it might be too small though, I'm 5' 11" and it's a 53cm frame. My crotch gets chafed and bleeds even with bike shorts, and occasionally my knees and lower back hurt. Sometimes my knees hit the stem when climbing or sprinting, that's not normal, right? I'd go to the local bike store and ask, but last time I brought my bike in looking for help, they made fun of my ride. They were only interested in trash talking it while trying to sell me a bike I could never afford.  :-\

Dude that bike is sick! Bummer that it's too small though

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #843 on: August 02, 2016, 09:41:18 PM »

I love my bike. I bought it off an elderly man on Craigslist for cheap. It's a 1987 Schwinn Le Tour. Unfortunately, it needed a bunch of work. I buffed out the rusty frame with steel wool and sprayed some clear coat so it wouldn't come back. Many parts needed replaced, like the headset, brake levers, cables, stem, seat, bar wrap, rear derailleur, tires, tubes, chain, both wheels, brakes, and bottom bracket. I put a lot of work into her.

I'm afraid it might be too small though, I'm 5' 11" and it's a 53cm frame. My crotch gets chafed and bleeds even with bike shorts, and occasionally my knees and lower back hurt. Sometimes my knees hit the stem when climbing or sprinting, that's not normal, right? I'd go to the local bike store and ask, but last time I brought my bike in looking for help, they made fun of my ride. They were only interested in trash talking it while trying to sell me a bike I could never afford.  :-\

Judging from the saddle height, it looks right for a racing setup. But the seat slammed back and long stem suggests that you have a long torso and/or reach. I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam and my 53cm bike is too big for me (30.5" top tube standover), but it's easier to get the bars higher that way.

Also, your knees will move towards the front bars on a standing sprint or climb. Just look at any picture of a finish line sprint, especially with today's compact setups. If you're not on a Cat 2 circuit, why would you need to do standing sprints?

colin

« Reply #844 on: August 05, 2016, 09:01:20 PM »
My Solid Cutlass. Now me an my homeboy both have scoot bikes we can ride to the park.

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 386
« Reply #845 on: August 06, 2016, 04:41:34 PM »
I've got an early 1970's schwinn x-tra lite.  It definitely is not "xtra lite".

snickers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -356
  • do you think this is a game?
« Reply #846 on: August 23, 2016, 10:00:21 AM »
the weather is finally nice in london so i decided to whip my bike out of storage. 1971 mal rees that i'm (slowly)converting to a single speed porteur bike.

fatcockXL deserves to be mod on the strength of his name alone

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
« Reply #847 on: August 23, 2016, 02:04:02 PM »
That's gonna be sick.....I've been riding in the same gear for the past month and it hasn't been a big deal....

snickers

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #848 on: August 23, 2016, 05:50:01 PM »
That's gonna be sick.....I've been riding in the same gear for the past month and it hasn't been a big deal....

i always rode fixed in new york but london isn't very bike friendly so i added the freewheel for extra control. i have the get rid of those slicks though. it's like signing my own death warrant.

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 664
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #849 on: August 23, 2016, 06:58:56 PM »
the weather is finally nice in london so i decided to whip my bike out of storage. 1971 mal rees that i'm (slowly)converting to a single speed porteur bike.

I find this to be very sexy, in an understated way.  Good for you.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #850 on: August 23, 2016, 11:38:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i always rode fixed in new york but london isn't very bike friendly so i added the freewheel for extra control. i have the get rid of those slicks though. it's like signing my own death warrant.

Oh no....I have gears but am prepping to pull everything off...ill end up w a single I suspect....

Clang

• Rep: -2
« Reply #851 on: August 24, 2016, 07:33:56 AM »
Looking for a rigid mtb for a winter beater. Any recommendations?

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #852 on: August 25, 2016, 08:00:24 AM »

New or used?  What is your price range?  where are you located (generally, I like to look at bikes on craiglist)?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 08:04:22 AM by rfox »

Clang

« Reply #853 on: August 25, 2016, 08:58:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

New or used?  What is your price range?  where are you located (generally, I like to look at bikes on craiglist)?
Definitely used, because I don't need fancy stuff, looking for an older model (90s or something like that), craigslist/other classifieds are readily available, and honestly I would like to do it as cheap as possible, hopefully not over 250.

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #854 on: August 25, 2016, 09:45:38 AM »
I would look for an older Trek.  there are usually a fair amount as they were popular and usually have decent component specs.

Clang

« Reply #855 on: August 25, 2016, 02:39:54 PM »
I would look for an older Trek.  there are usually a fair amount as they were popular and usually have decent component specs.
sweet thanks!

Clang

« Reply #856 on: August 25, 2016, 03:02:27 PM »
My fuji track. I really like riding it but it's a bit too small for me. I'm looking into getting a new frame, probably a flite 100 or similar.

EDIT: sorry for the huge photo.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 07:47:08 AM by Clang »

Squirrel Girl

« Reply #857 on: August 25, 2016, 07:38:41 PM »
Does anyone else use Strava? I've been obsessed with it lately. If you PM me your info, I'll do the same. I enjoy seeing others progress and rides.  :)

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1362
« Reply #858 on: August 27, 2016, 03:24:04 PM »
My fuji track. I really like riding it but it's a bit too small for me. I'm looking into getting a new frame, probably a flite 100 or similar.

Just add a lower case "L" before .Jpg in your url it'll resize it

Clang

« Reply #859 on: August 28, 2016, 07:47:37 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Just add a lower case "L" before .Jpg in your url it'll resize it
thanks!

Grampa

• Rep: 143
« Reply #860 on: September 04, 2016, 08:00:50 AM »

I've been riding fixed for almost ten years now, and I thought I'd give single speed/coaster brake a shot but got bored within a couple months. So I ended up with a fixed Fairdale Coaster. It's a beast and handles the worst roads in town(almost every road) with no problems.

Does anyone wear a helmet? I recently started after a couple close calls. The drivers here are the absolute worst, hardly any bike lanes, and roads don't get repaired for months. It's treacherous.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #861 on: September 04, 2016, 08:30:20 AM »
Yah I wear a helmet....i used to wear a protec but upgraded to some kooky bike helmet.....it fits super good....riding a bike in traffic is more dangerous and I care less about looking like a kook than I do in skateboarding.....

snickers

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #862 on: September 04, 2016, 03:29:55 PM »
i wear a bern helmet. i probably look like an asshole wearing it but it was on deep discount at my local bike shop. people in london drive like maniacs. last year i got taxi driver and wasn't wearing a helmet. needless to say, i was very concussed.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #863 on: September 04, 2016, 03:54:15 PM »
you never know about pre-cum 

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1495
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #864 on: September 05, 2016, 02:22:52 AM »
Quick question: most coworkers assume that biking to work is a lot more stressful since you get in close calls often, but I don't feel that way at all.

My bicycle commute is a 30 min ride through "downtown", whereas I can take my car to work for a 15 min ride on the byway (free parking at work too). But for me, waiting in traffic jams feels way more cumbersome than riding past them with my bicycle. I had a crash a few years ago, but I believe I am firmly in control and more than 50% of my commute is on bike lanes. I really enjoy getting some exercise and waking myself up, taking in the city life (biking through the old city center etc.).

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1181
« Reply #865 on: September 07, 2016, 03:17:24 PM »
Yah I wear a helmet....i wear a protec but upgraded to some kooky bike helmet.....it fits super good....riding a bike in traffic is more dangerous and I care less about looking like a kook than I do in skateboarding.....

this...except, I wear a skate helmet.

bike pic coming soon.
hardly art, hardly starving

Squirrel Girl

« Reply #866 on: September 07, 2016, 09:21:59 PM »

I've been riding fixed for almost ten years now, and I thought I'd give single speed/coaster brake a shot but got bored within a couple months. So I ended up with a fixed Fairdale Coaster. It's a beast and handles the worst roads in town(almost every road) with no problems.

Does anyone wear a helmet? I recently started after a couple close calls. The drivers here are the absolute worst, hardly any bike lanes, and roads don't get repaired for months. It's treacherous.

Your bike is sick! Digging the no front break, ballsy! I bought a Catlike Vacuum off eBay for cheap, it's rather comfy.

I remember a study claiming drivers behave more cautious around cyclist without helmets than with. Which resulted in far fewer deaths of people using bicycle-sharing systems compared to bike owners. I tried finding the study, but to no avail. Statistically, you're far more likely to die from being run the fuck over by some self-important dipshit finger blasting their phone than a head injury. 1/2 of serious head injuries happen within cars, but there are no laws on the books demanding drivers wear helmets.  ::) I don't know man... I only wear one to avoid fines.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #867 on: September 07, 2016, 09:42:49 PM »
I got one of these camo joints for like $15 during black friday. It's light, comfortable.
https://www.amazon.com/Giro-Revel-Bike-Helmet-Titanium/dp/B00FPGLRFQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1473029378&sr=1-2&keywords=giro+helmet

I have a Giro Phase, which looks similar. I've never worn a bike helmet until very recently (mostly because it was on sale). They're pretty much plastic hats that are just good enough to pass race regulations and local ordinances.

The design of bike helmets seem to favor light weight and ventilation over function. Even the most expensive helmets (especially the more expensive ones) are flimsy shitty things. It is no surprise if you look at how they evolved from leather hairnets.

Skate helmets, in contrast, seem more secure. In reality, they are worse than bike helmets and many do not pass any recognized standards.

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #868 on: September 07, 2016, 10:33:53 PM »

I'm afraid it might be too small though, I'm 5' 11" and it's a 53cm frame. My crotch gets chafed and bleeds even with bike shorts, and occasionally my knees and lower back hurt. Sometimes my knees hit the stem when climbing or sprinting, that's not normal, right? I'd go to the local bike store and ask, but last time I brought my bike in looking for help, they made fun of my ride. They were only interested in trash talking it while trying to sell me a bike I could never afford.  :-\
Nice!
I'm riding a '78 Le Tour III that's converted to fixed gear. This is the only pic I got.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #869 on: September 07, 2016, 11:14:14 PM »
Hey....do you guys fuck with spandex?