Author Topic: bikes  (Read 307713 times)

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 215
Re: bikes
« Reply #1410 on: June 09, 2020, 09:56:21 AM »
Expand Quote

What’s everyone like to snack on during longer rides? I generally do nothing on rides up to 35-40 miles, and after that I’ll rock clif bars/granola bars beyond that, can’t really hang with the energy gels/blocks. I know someone who swears by multiple peanut butter, jelly, and potato chip sandwiches shoved into the jersey pocket.
[close]

I personally think that nutrition on rides is almost as important as fitness going into it. On my ride yesterday, if I didn't have proper nutrition, I definitely would have bonked out and had to call the lady for a ride, around 40 miles from home. I use a small handlebar bag that I load up with tons of granola bars/peanut butter snacks that really comes in handy if you don't like using your jersey pockets for everything.

One of my favorite things to bring on a ride with me is spam musubi. If you're not familiar, it's spam cooked up with soy sauce, some sugar, whatever else, on top of rice and wrapped in seaweed. It's salty, can be sweet, and has the carb component from the rice with the protein from the spam to keep you going and restore that energy. I had 3 of those on my 87 mile ride yesterday and still felt famished when I returned home. It's definitely better to be overprepared rather than underprepared. You don't want to find yourself in a dangerous situation when your body betrays you, which can happen no matter how ambitious you are.

Oh yeah I’ve for sure had a couple of heavy bonks, and generally keep some sort of emergency gel/bar on me just in case. I like the spam musubi idea, throw a little variety in the mix. 4+ hours of nothing but granola bars can have a pretty significant impact on morale.

Rad ride, by the way.

Lorem_Ipsum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 18
« Reply #1411 on: June 09, 2020, 10:08:51 AM »
Expand Quote
One of my favorite things to bring on a ride with me is spam musubi.
[close]

I don't know you, but hot damn, I respect the fuck out of you.

Now I want to make some musubis for later when I'm just sitting at home, playing video games, and drinking.

Haha the feeling is mutual! Got to try and enjoy the little things

Lorem_Ipsum

« Reply #1412 on: June 09, 2020, 10:13:46 AM »

Oh yeah I’ve for sure had a couple of heavy bonks, and generally keep some sort of emergency gel/bar on me just in case. I like the spam musubi idea, throw a little variety in the mix. 4+ hours of nothing but granola bars can have a pretty significant impact on morale.

Rad ride, by the way.

Thanks dude, it was a heavy one for sure. I definitely ate lasagna while taking an epsom salt bath afterwards (gummo style),  much to the disgust of my lady. With the handlebar bag, you can throw all sorts of shit in there. My homie had a burrito in his.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1413 on: June 09, 2020, 12:18:27 PM »
Is gel paks for skating too?
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Lorem_Ipsum

« Reply #1414 on: June 09, 2020, 12:48:30 PM »

Crack one open and throw into bearings for 5x speed boost. I would stay away from the mocha flavor though.

shucknjive

• Rep: -39
« Reply #1415 on: June 09, 2020, 01:03:35 PM »
cind gitda mangLoc
mArLeY

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
« Reply #1416 on: June 09, 2020, 01:04:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Crack one open and throw into bearings for 5x speed boost. I would stay away from the mocha flavor though.

S'mores flavor has been my go to.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #1417 on: June 10, 2020, 05:14:25 PM »
my bike is done, i'm hyped as fuck. already took a little ride even though it's night time, worked in the brakes. for a former heap of trash it rides pretty alright. pretty sure i could have bought a shitty newish one for the money i paid for all the stuff but building this up was fun. i had to get some rather good parts out of necessity since i couldn't find stuff used in decent shape.

next up is trying to get a equally sized wheelset in decent shape and while i might not go fixed, i might get a freewheel with kickback brake so i can get rid of one of the brakes while keeping stuff legal. and maybe try and build a cheapish fixie on the side.

first bike in years and i'm psyched everything worked out and i didn't break shit, haha.

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 991
« Reply #1418 on: June 10, 2020, 08:38:52 PM »
building is fun even if it ends up costing more

i just stripped my old aluminum road frame and polished it to a flat finish with steel wool. it looks like a giant thunder truck. getting a chain tensioner and converting to single speed using some old wheels i've got around. needed a new headset and someother shit, hopefully it'll be on the road by the weekend.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1419 on: June 11, 2020, 07:43:51 AM »
building is fun even if it ends up costing more

i just stripped my old aluminum road frame and polished it to a flat finish with steel wool. it looks like a giant thunder truck. getting a chain tensioner and converting to single speed using some old wheels i've got around. needed a new headset and someother shit, hopefully it'll be on the road by the weekend.
  Single speed is the way.  I find unless you got expensive gears or unless you can do maintenance properly all the time you go to stand and pedal -get a miss shift and you almost die in traffic!  Single speeds get you out of the saddle and are super fun and light.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

tumulishoomaroom

• Rep: 48
« Reply #1420 on: June 11, 2020, 08:19:25 AM »
Single speed is so cool for the city/leisure riding.

Went for another ride this morning, 80km or so, this time from the city center and back. Across the Vincennes park/forest (with castle), then along the beautiful Marne river, then Notre-Dame Forest (I once had a puncture there and had to walk 1h30 under the rain to the nearest train) into the "Brie" area where they make the delicious (you guessed it) Brie cheese.

A nice easy ride after the previous gravel ride.

Oh I joined the strava group as well ! Nice to see what other slap pals are up to in their corner of the globe. Need a rapha/slap collab now.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1421 on: June 11, 2020, 08:37:06 AM »
Single speed is so cool for the city/leisure riding.

Went for another ride this morning, 80km or so, this time from the city center and back. Across the Vincennes park/forest (with castle), then along the beautiful Marne river, then Notre-Dame Forest (I once had a puncture there and had to walk 1h30 under the rain to the nearest train) into the "Brie" area where they make the delicious (you guessed it) Brie cheese.

A nice easy ride after the previous gravel ride.

Oh I joined the strava group as well ! Nice to see what other slap pals are up to in their corner of the globe. Need a rapha/slap collab now.

sounds amazing!

my bike is done, i'm hyped as fuck. already took a little ride even though it's night time, worked in the brakes. for a former heap of trash it rides pretty alright. pretty sure i could have bought a shitty newish one for the money i paid for all the stuff but building this up was fun. i had to get some rather good parts out of necessity since i couldn't find stuff used in decent shape.

next up is trying to get a equally sized wheelset in decent shape and while i might not go fixed, i might get a freewheel with kickback brake so i can get rid of one of the brakes while keeping stuff legal. and maybe try and build a cheapish fixie on the side.

first bike in years and i'm psyched everything worked out and i didn't break shit, haha.

post some pics man
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 08:38:52 AM by Sleazy »

shucknjive

• Rep: -39
« Reply #1422 on: June 11, 2020, 08:47:43 AM »
mArLeY

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #1423 on: June 11, 2020, 01:03:19 PM »
post some pics man

haha alright, here's one. sorry for the messy room, it was hectic around home last few days.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1424 on: June 11, 2020, 02:52:10 PM »
Nice to see what other slap pals are up to in their corner of the globe. Need a rapha/slap collab now.

SLAPHA. its meant to be.

ungzilla

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 991
« Reply #1425 on: June 11, 2020, 03:13:23 PM »
oh shit, my chain tensioner came today

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
« Reply #1426 on: June 11, 2020, 04:20:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Nice to see what other slap pals are up to in their corner of the globe. Need a rapha/slap collab now.
[close]

SLAPHA. its meant to be.

Or RAP....

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #1427 on: June 12, 2020, 03:58:31 AM »

this is beautiful.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #1428 on: June 12, 2020, 08:37:26 AM »
Bought clipless pedals for my road bike after riding a bit over 500km with flats, I can see why everybody’s using them now after just 30km’s of training😅 Total beginner here but I learn more everyday!

e. pic didnt show
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 03:53:29 AM by Krooked antihero »
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 664
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1429 on: June 12, 2020, 12:26:16 PM »

Damn, I haven't seen eggbeaters in a long time.  Looks great, would ride.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

potpie

• Rep: 30
« Reply #1430 on: June 12, 2020, 04:04:40 PM »
Well after considering buying an MTB for the last 10 years I finally did it. Trek Fuel EX 7. Bought it today and immediately went out to some trails with a buddy. I definitely need a helmet and have cycling shorts on the way because my buns feel terrible.

Charlie Hustle

« Reply #1431 on: June 13, 2020, 01:46:45 AM »
This thread just makes me want to buy more bikes. Like now I think I need a single speed and a mountain bike.

So... Serious question. Are bike shorts or underwear worth it? I feel like I can't, or don't need to go full kit.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #1432 on: June 13, 2020, 04:23:36 AM »
This thread just makes me want to buy more bikes. Like now I think I need a single speed and a mountain bike.

So... Serious question. Are bike shorts or underwear worth it? I feel like I can't, or don't need to go full kit.

Definitely worth it. I wear them under some cutoff dickies. Haven’t gone full kit yet.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1066
« Reply #1433 on: June 13, 2020, 05:01:40 AM »
Well after considering buying an MTB for the last 10 years I finally did it. Trek Fuel EX 7. Bought it today and immediately went out to some trails with a buddy. I definitely need a helmet and have cycling shorts on the way because my buns feel terrible.

Gotta toughen those buns son. Padded bike shorts may help but unless you are riding for hours on end I don’t think you will need them. Buy a better seat. Stock seats never have sufficient padding or pressure relieving areas. Try a Terry saddle out. I guarantee your ass will thank you.

http://www.terrybicycles.com/Saddles/Mens-Endurance/Fly-Cromoly-Saddle_2

Lorem_Ipsum

« Reply #1434 on: June 13, 2020, 10:43:27 AM »

Absolutely worth it. You only have one taint. I wear shorts over except when going on rides above 50 miles or so. Also if you're riding off of asphalt, you may be bumping around etc. which may hurt your nether-regions

WPG

• Rep: -4
« Reply #1435 on: June 13, 2020, 11:19:23 AM »
Grabbed a 20 year old Specialized FSR from my dad last week. Never really been into biking other than BMXing when I was younger but I’ve been having a ton of fun, riding with a suspension is such a nice feeling just being able to roll over anything
Muska, Chillin Chillin
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson flight decks

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #1436 on: June 15, 2020, 04:17:05 AM »

the padded shorts make the difference, i started out with some mountain bike shorts then  moved onto a proper bib. Its faster and more comfortable, but you look like a nerd. Once you get over how nerdy you look it is all positive

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #1437 on: June 15, 2020, 04:59:51 AM »
the bike i built up is fine but unfortunately after riding it a bit my backwheel bearing broke and now i am looking to replace the whole wheelset, which made me think of just buying a whole complete bike if i already need to spent 100 quid again on just wheels. there's a sale on a fuji feather in my frame size for about 100 bucks of the original price and i almost bought one last year. now i'm debating with myself on buying it since it seems to be the last one i can find in my size. i looked for used bikes, too, but it's hard to find one that fits. most are way too big. i'd need a 49-51 and everything i see is either kids bikes or 54 and up.

if anyone has experience with this bike and wants to chime in i appreciate it.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #1438 on: June 15, 2020, 05:09:32 AM »
single speed, flip hub?
They are good quality bikes, and look good too.
My friend just bought a fuji stroll, single speed, basically a feather with flat bars. They are a good brand with good quality. I would.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #1439 on: June 15, 2020, 05:12:52 AM »
comes with a flip flop hub, which is good since i am not used to ride fixed. planning on learning to ride it fixed on some chill night rides. i heard it comes with a replacement flat bar as well, or at least the older version did, which i can't find anymore.

this one:

http://www.fujibikes.com/usa/bikes/pavement/urban/feather/feather

EDIT: thx for the reply beeda weeda