Author Topic: bikes  (Read 307760 times)

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 664
  • Speculatnaciousness?
Re: bikes
« Reply #3480 on: November 17, 2023, 03:08:46 PM »
Looking to do some small bike packing trips and ride a bit more on trails since all I have is a road bike right now.  been looking at possibly getting a gravel bike. been checking out this specialized diverge

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/diverge-e5/p/199973?color=322113-199973

for the price it seems like it’s a good entry-level bike for what I’m trying to do but my knowledge is limited tbh. Anyone got any recommendations for comparable bikes in a similar price range?

Should add that I’m probably looking to buy something new because the use market seems to be filled with bikes that have aftermarket upgrades and I’m just not familiar with them or confident enough to know what I’m paying for as of now

just got an email saying these are $300 off.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/diverge-e5/p/199973?color=322137-199973
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

323-BALM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 46
« Reply #3481 on: November 17, 2023, 10:53:13 PM »
That’s a fine bike for a grand.
You've clearly never smelled a cauliflower fart.

Mr. Pickles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 39
« Reply #3482 on: November 18, 2023, 04:32:05 PM »
Yea not bad for the price but it’s basically a road bike. Look into the salsa journeyer, there’s a ton of different spec’d versions of it and they run from like $700 to $2k depending on the build. You’re going to have way more tire volume and options to run racks and carry shit on a salsa.

breezer

• Rep: -17
« Reply #3483 on: November 19, 2023, 02:53:11 AM »
heading the dark side boys - about to pull  the trigger on a Riese & Müller Multicharger cargo bike.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1088
« Reply #3484 on: November 19, 2023, 06:18:07 AM »
heading the dark side boys - about to pull  the trigger on a Riese & Müller Multicharger cargo bike.

Good luck there, Mr. Moneybags.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

breezer

« Reply #3485 on: November 19, 2023, 11:03:18 AM »

well its an ex demonstrator, last years model........and the government are running an interest free loan deal on e bikes....£100 / month for 36 months.....ask me in 12 months if I can afford it.

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #3486 on: November 19, 2023, 11:33:16 AM »

Cargo bikes are great. Unfortunately I don’t think it’ll ever make sense for me to own one, so I’ll just have own one when I say dream about my life if I lived in Denmark.

breezer

« Reply #3487 on: November 19, 2023, 11:55:47 AM »
Got 2 little kids - school run machine......

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 52
« Reply #3488 on: November 20, 2023, 06:36:25 AM »
paid 100 for my stumpjumper

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
« Reply #3489 on: November 20, 2023, 11:12:11 AM »
my 94 stumpy jumpy, acquired at a garage sale for $50 earlier this summer
obviously not configured like this, but most of the stock stuff was in good condition
it came with a rock shox fork, that was actually still functional, i discovered goes for more than double what i paid for the bike

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #3490 on: November 20, 2023, 11:43:06 AM »
Haven't been riding at all but needed some exercise. A quick neighborhood roll to see if I liked the frame bag or not turned into a 30 miler. Not sure I like frame bags but was good to bang out a few miles.

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 52
« Reply #3491 on: November 20, 2023, 04:20:30 PM »
obviously not configured like this, but most of the stock stuff was in good condition
it came with a rock shox fork, that was actually still functional, i discovered goes for more than double what i paid for the bike

This is just like my stumpjumper down to the old moto bars and bmx stem ha. The only parts i had to spend on were the pedals and tires. Super fun bike. I take it down a lot of single track that I probably shouldnt and honestly i reach for it more than my full suspension bike

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #3492 on: November 20, 2023, 04:37:52 PM »
Haven't been riding at all but needed some exercise. A quick neighborhood roll to see if I liked the frame bag or not turned into a 30 miler. Not sure I like frame bags but was good to bang out a few miles.

Always a plus 1 for scenery.

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
« Reply #3493 on: November 21, 2023, 08:01:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This is just like my stumpjumper down to the old moto bars and bmx stem ha. The only parts i had to spend on were the pedals and tires. Super fun bike. I take it down a lot of single track that I probably shouldnt and honestly i reach for it more than my full suspension bike
hell yeah. i take mine on the jump track near me. i love it, it's become my go-to bike. does yours have a cable guide mounted to the top of the seat tube? that's the only thing i don't like about mine, since it requires cantilever brakes. i even tried setting it up with a cable stop adapter thing and a v-brake, with a compatible lever and just couldn't get it to pull correctly.

@Frank and Fred nice photos dude. i relate so much to the intended short ride becoming a long ride.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3494 on: November 21, 2023, 08:30:58 AM »

Looks great, but that's what I mean about a vintage MTB being more desirable with an original, non-suspension fork. I'm going through the same thing because I picked up a lugged Trek 990 with a RockShox  replacement fork, and I would absolutely kill to have the paint-to-match original fork back.

Cool that you were able to sell yours. I'm waiting to find a suitable replacement rigid fork before I strip the bike apart; hopefully I can get decent money for my Judy.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3495 on: November 21, 2023, 06:28:40 PM »
i gave away orange lava dome....oops....good home I think though...

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
« Reply #3496 on: November 21, 2023, 07:31:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Looking to do some small bike packing trips and ride a bit more on trails since all I have is a road bike right now.  been looking at possibly getting a gravel bike. been checking out this specialized diverge

for the price it seems like it’s a good entry-level bike for what I’m trying to do but my knowledge is limited tbh. Anyone got any recommendations for comparable bikes in a similar price range?

Should add that I’m probably looking to buy something new because the use market seems to be filled with bikes that have aftermarket upgrades and I’m just not familiar with them or confident enough to know what I’m paying for as of now
[close]

good lookin out!

I got the same email and took it to a local shop that carries specialized - they had my size in stock and price matched the sale. timing couldn’t have been better

Put about 60+ miles on it over the last 3 days and loving it. It’s my first “new” bike(only ever had 10+ year old bikes). Love the road bike feel with the drop bars while not being limited to the streets. stoked to take it on some long rides in the future

@Frank and Fred jealous of that scenery !

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3497 on: November 22, 2023, 05:57:45 AM »
Congrats! Nothing like NBD (new bike day).

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #3498 on: November 22, 2023, 03:13:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

good lookin out!

I got the same email and took it to a local shop that carries specialized - they had my size in stock and price matched the sale. timing couldn’t have been better

Put about 60+ miles on it over the last 3 days and loving it. It’s my first “new” bike(only ever had 10+ year old bikes). Love the road bike feel with the drop bars while not being limited to the streets. stoked to take it on some long rides in the future

@Frank and Fred jealous of that scenery !

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1130
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #3499 on: November 22, 2023, 03:30:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The proper comparison for a cargo bike isn't other bikes, it's a car. Multicharger is still hell of a lot cheaper to buy and maintain than any vehicle. Good on ya!

breezer

« Reply #3500 on: November 23, 2023, 02:24:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The proper comparison for a cargo bike isn't other bikes, it's a car. Multicharger is still hell of a lot cheaper to buy and maintain than any vehicle. Good on ya!

agree! 

323-BALM

« Reply #3501 on: December 08, 2023, 08:04:52 PM »

wild conditions today. ripping.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3502 on: December 08, 2023, 10:13:57 PM »
I like the idea you’re not waiting around for it to dry and the moment you leave the house, you’re doing the thing….

323-BALM

« Reply #3503 on: December 09, 2023, 11:58:38 AM »
I like the idea you’re not waiting around for it to dry and the moment you leave the house, you’re doing the thing….

Best case scenario, that. I’m driving my fun bikes to the woods, although I do go out from home on the gravel bike for fitness…
Actually mountain biking from the house is a dream, one realized soon…

DERBY

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 261
« Reply #3504 on: December 10, 2023, 10:27:01 PM »

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3505 on: December 11, 2023, 04:52:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Actually mountain biking from the house is a dream, one realized soon…

Living riding distance from a trailhead is the dream and is a precondition for me to moving to any kind of smaller town or more rural area.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3506 on: December 11, 2023, 09:24:00 PM »
I think I'm pretty new and pretty much any trail is good.  Here's a question and an observation.....like skating....the pants are cultural right?  I mean in skating we've learned...you can skate in big pants....you can skate in small pants....it's kinda bullshit....in biking....do you think I'll successfully not do it?  In running, when it got cold I finally broke down and went tights under shorts....biking?  I don't think I really need it. 

323-BALM

« Reply #3507 on: December 11, 2023, 10:11:08 PM »
I often ride in long pants. Big fan.

What’s the question here?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3508 on: December 11, 2023, 10:39:05 PM »
To spand or not to spand….need I expand?

PAWL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -68
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3509 on: December 12, 2023, 04:58:20 AM »
To spand or not to spand….need I expand?

Depends on what kinda riding I guess

I’m anti spand personally, don’t feel the need to spend even more money and hate the look
yo mike mo new age ape style high five with my reborn hand.

2008 psychedelic experience. thanks.