Author Topic: Top Ten Things Pro Skaters Can Do to Make $ After Their Careers Are Over  (Read 6511 times)

Brguy

Re: Top Ten Things Pro Skaters Can Do to Make $ After Their Careers Are Over
« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2022, 01:43:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Tattoo artist seems to be an emergent field for the aged skaters too. Think every tour van should have a tat gun so they can practice on each other. If you're going to get a Baker tat then what could be better than having it done by an og baker boy. There's definitely people that would pay a premium for that.

What does Joey Valdez do now? Isnt he a hair stylist or something?
[close]

Tattooing is fucked you’d wanna get in to it real young
I don’t even know how this is legal but they put tattoo apprentices on no compete agreements so like you finish your four years and have to work for the prick for another five before you can start your own shop
[close]
Is there a license or education requirement or something before you can start on your own? What stops this dude to do it himself after he has learned how it's done? I mean, besides money for all the shit you need.
[close]
It’s the esteem of being apprenticed by someone who is respected in the tattoo world.  There isn’t a well respected tattoo artist on earth that will do it for free especially if you become better than him and once he’s done can open a shop next door to you.  So why wouldn’t every respected tattoo artist have every apprentice sign a non compete?
But are they signing non-competes? That's the point cause if there's no contract they could just leave and do their own thing, most people don't need the esteem of someone respected unless they're really striving for something in the tattoo world, the regular customer doesn't give a shit to this, they just want to know you have quality work.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2022, 12:49:49 PM »
you don’t do quality work without apprenticing

it’s a trade

TrainWreck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -77
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2022, 01:05:05 PM »
If you are asian you simply grab a camera and take shitty pics and call yourself artist... right, Jerry?

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1260
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2022, 03:48:42 PM »
If you are asian you simply grab a camera and take shitty pics and call yourself artist... right, Jerry?
his photography is actually really good there’s no way you’re being serious

QUIT SINNIN

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
  • PATSY
« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2022, 05:01:55 PM »
I’m legitimately shocked that skateboarding “comic-cons” havent become a thing. Skatercon seems to be taking off in Arizona, but seems to focus more on 80’s vert guys and hellride/punk stuff. Bobby Puleo made a YouTube video documenting the event.

As corny as it sounds I would for sure pay money to attend a skateboarding convention where I could nerd out and buy signed boards/photos. Maybe I’m in the minority.

ModernDance

• Rep: -1
« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2022, 06:18:55 PM »
Sell that product you saved over the years.

CorneliusCardew

• Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2022, 06:21:18 PM »
Become a teacher

conqueso

« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2022, 06:24:40 PM »
become a preacher

Dont

• Rep: -15
« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2022, 06:36:33 PM »

Worst comment in this thread

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2022, 10:26:57 PM »
work, like it's the 1920s or something.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 01:08:30 AM by somethingmustbreaknow »

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2022, 10:42:50 PM »
I’m legitimately shocked that skateboarding “comic-cons” havent become a thing. Skatercon seems to be taking off in Arizona, but seems to focus more on 80’s vert guys and hellride/punk stuff. Bobby Puleo made a YouTube video documenting the event.

As corny as it sounds I would for sure pay money to attend a skateboarding convention where I could nerd out and buy signed boards/photos. Maybe I’m in the minority.
I mean, it works for tons of industries like Pro Wrestling, Sports, etc. I'm just not sure how into that skaters are. I feel "fanning out" is so negatively viewed within skating, that it puts off the idea of embracing it as a former pro or as a fan wanting to go. Skateboarding has always embraced being counter-culture with "too cool for school" pros, that it almost seems damaging to their image of pros like Heath or EMB guys to embrace this concept.

I do find it surprising how many mid to late 00's pros who came across as complete burnouts did well financially by following their gut and buying Apple Stocks (I believe both Trapasso and Tave did it), and others have somehow stumbled into legitimate Cyrpto early on.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 11:50:40 PM by DannyDee »

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
  • registered SLAP offender
« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2022, 11:26:04 PM »
Can we have a traveling circus of retired pro-skaters?

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1260
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2022, 11:31:39 PM »
Can we have a traveling circus of retired pro-skaters?
honestly just give me an edit from from the aftermath of heath, danny garcia, and austin stephens on a two week long road trip down the east coast and i’ll be fine for a good while.

walker

• Rep: -9
« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2022, 11:34:32 PM »
Only Fans
"you've seen me grind da rails..."

the only real answer here

GliderSkateboards

• Rep: 35
« Reply #74 on: January 03, 2022, 11:35:40 PM »

I think this is going to be a thing- just a matter of time. street skating is still relatively new so I predict ~10 years before this happens

QUIT SINNIN

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
  • PATSY
« Reply #75 on: January 04, 2022, 05:07:39 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I mean, it works for tons of industries like Pro Wrestling, Sports, etc. I'm just not sure how into that skaters are. I feel "fanning out" is so negatively viewed within skating, that it puts off the idea of embracing it as a former pro or as a fan wanting to go. Skateboarding has always embraced being counter-culture with "too cool for school" pros, that it almost seems damaging to their image of pros like Heath or EMB guys to embrace this concept.

I agree, it’s definitely not “cool” to hawk shit in a booth for money and pose with fans for photos. However, it’s nothing that most of your average 90’s/00’s pros didn’t already experience at demos. I get what you mean about fanning out though, there’s definitely a barrier that would be hard to break as most skater interactions we had with signings and such happened when we were all children.

I would imagine once guys get into their 50’s/60’s(gasp) they’d be more willing to embrace the nostalgia and drop the cool-guy factor, not to mention the extra dough. Skateboarding is decades removed from being a counter-culture at this point, unfortunately

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #76 on: January 04, 2022, 06:24:13 AM »
Would hell ride at a skater-con. There's still some legends I missed meeting back in the day. Met Cab, Hawk, Hosoi etc in the 80s, yet somehow missed Lance Mountain and he's one of my favorites. Would 100% fan out on - Lance will always be one of the best to me

Lord Quas

• Rep: 18
  • enter the liquid realm
« Reply #77 on: January 04, 2022, 10:22:55 AM »
start a business and a company.

Quote from: GAY
I've never broken a board and it's a bigger source of shame for me and my family than my homosexuality.

TrainWreck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -77
« Reply #78 on: January 04, 2022, 01:00:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Glad you like it, but I dont. Maybe I just have high standards when it comes to photography techniques or anything else.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #79 on: January 04, 2022, 01:07:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Glad you like it, but I dont. Maybe I just have high standards when it comes to photography techniques or anything else.

What's wrong with his technique? Have you ever seen a curated project he's put out (book or otherwise)? Jerry has a great eye and takes great photos imo. Not everything has to be a Cartier Bresson composition for it to be good. With that being said, art is subjective so regardless, you do you. Kinda fucked for you to dismiss his art as shitty, though.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1084
« Reply #80 on: January 04, 2022, 01:18:05 PM »

Stupidest shit I’ve seen in a while. Dumber than multiple Suciu threads. Remarkable
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 777
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #81 on: January 04, 2022, 06:31:22 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I do find it surprising how many mid to late 00's pros who came across as complete burnouts did well financially by following their gut and buying Apple Stocks (I believe both Trapasso and Tave did it), and others have somehow stumbled into legitimate Cyrpto early on.

Where’s Dyrdik to make this happen lol

Dlx can bring the Cardiel Rail

Slap booth will have the Dill doll

Surprise 917 reunion

nothing's been the since same

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #82 on: January 04, 2022, 06:48:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Surprise 917 reunion
I just want to hear all the other pros hating on the Kasperholics who show up to line up for the Kasper booth.

sk8punk110

• Rep: -39
« Reply #83 on: January 13, 2022, 05:44:36 AM »
art guy or mystical dude or health jock
Dill is 2/3 of those
My pillowcase is made out of griptape.  That core enough for your punk ass?

sk8punk110

• Rep: -39
« Reply #84 on: January 13, 2022, 05:45:39 AM »
they can send me money and i can turn their $5000 into $10000
Fred Galls instagram story
My pillowcase is made out of griptape.  That core enough for your punk ass?

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #85 on: January 13, 2022, 06:20:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Surprise 917 reunion
[close]
I just want to hear all the other pros hating on the Kasperholics who show up to line up for the Kasper booth.

"Ya boy didn't even land that ollie over that DJ, bruv"

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #86 on: January 31, 2022, 05:41:26 AM »
NFTs