Author Topic: Mike Carroll on the future of Crailtap  (Read 401225 times)

jomeara1

Re: Mike Carroll on the future of Crailtap
« Reply #450 on: May 18, 2016, 08:38:41 AM »
I love skateboard drama

starwars

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
« Reply #451 on: May 18, 2016, 08:40:36 AM »
Skateboarders are idiots.

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #452 on: May 18, 2016, 08:43:50 AM »
WHAT WILL YOU DO WHEN YOU WALK INTO YOUR LOCAL "SKATE-SHOP" IN 2-5 YEARS. AND SEE NOTHING BUT BOARDS WITH EITHER A BIG SWOOSH ON THEM OR 3 STRIPES.

Seriously I think it's gonna happen. Once they kill of all these brands they will be able to produce boards at a cheaper price for the same quality any board company ever could but with much larger quantities and less cost. All pro's will have an apparel, shoe, and deck deal with the same sport brand. Large paychecks for pro's but no diversity. Gonna be weirddddd.

..probably not gonna happen like that. If anything the big corpos will fund enterprising pro's board companies. Just like in the early 90s..
people forget that's how companies like Toy Machine got their start. Brad Dorfman.

midevilco

« Reply #453 on: May 18, 2016, 08:48:16 AM »
Call me next time your employer reduces your pay twice, you put in 2 weeks, then get asked to stick around for a bit longer to train your replacement.

Sticking around through the lean times is one thing if you are an owner, quite another as an employee.

MJ was paid reasonably well I'm sure, but when you have to slash people's pay, don't be surprised if they lose loyalty.

Asking him to stick around a bit longer and a bit longer and a bit longer. When does it end? Oh, just after Away Days... Just after Summer... Just until we can clear enough shoes out...

And we all know Lakai has been PUMPING those MJ's for a few months marketing-wise, and it felt like they were trying to clear them out to anyone who was paying attention.

If MJ is leaving (and according to Mike, they knew) then you can't expect to orchestrate his exit to your whims, and use your supposed friendship to lord over him and prevent him from being announced when Adidas just spent a ton of money producing this video and bringing these guys onto the team.

Marc was probably sick of jumping through the hoops, dealing with lawyers and agreements in the first place, and basically showed them right where to stick it in the most Marc Johnson way possible.

People are quick to hop on Carroll's nuts, but isn't sticking skate shops with a bunch of outdated MJ shoes nobody will want just as bad?

Yushin Okami

• Rep: 115
« Reply #454 on: May 18, 2016, 08:49:01 AM »

Yeah but they're our idiots <3
We all know you have two sexy anthropomorphic wolves who buttfuck each other on the bottom of your board.

Triple Double

• Rep: -6
« Reply #455 on: May 18, 2016, 08:52:32 AM »
MJ be like

Dirtymac

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #456 on: May 18, 2016, 08:59:39 AM »
This is fizzling out waay too quick. I was counting on MJ logging in and slinging some mud then MC coming back at him. Full on catfight. But no, 16 pages of the same crap. I can't get jiggy w/this shit!
"Never talk shit about a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way you're a mile away AND you've got his shoes"

zzssll

• Rep: 0
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #457 on: May 18, 2016, 09:04:23 AM »
Expand Quote
threads weird to me

so no one else reading this can relate to having your pay cut several times while having much larger offers at the tail end of your career and leaving for the bigger offer? clearly mj's offer was contingent on timing with the away days video and either way carrol was going to be pissed so not much to gain on that front. i've never in my life not lied to my current employer\client when getting ready to jump to a new employer\client. that's just not how it works, lying is part of career\negotiating. you find your next gig, hand in your two weeks and bounce. carrol also said that mj held out for ages, turning down larger offers. it feels to me like like mj kept it business but carrol is making it personal. not giving riders contracts is something crail does for their self interest, not the riders.
[close]

I said this earlier. They're just gonna tell you that your reading comprehension sucks, that MJ's an alcoholic, and that Carroll is a really nice guy.

"Financially, as everyone knows, in recent years, it has been rough. We had to do some things financially and rearrange and lower some people’s pay, him being included" 
"Then recently, we had to make more financial decisions and he was going to be affected again."

brwrxstl

• Rep: -71
    • Tumblr avatar image
« Reply #458 on: May 18, 2016, 09:06:57 AM »
WHAT WILL YOU DO WHEN YOU WALK INTO YOUR LOCAL "SKATE-SHOP" IN 2-5 YEARS. AND SEE NOTHING BUT BOARDS WITH EITHER A BIG SWOOSH ON THEM OR 3 STRIPES.

Seriously I think it's gonna happen. Once they kill of all these brands they will be able to produce boards at a cheaper price for the same quality any board company ever could but with much larger quantities and less cost. All pro's will have an apparel, shoe, and deck deal with the same sport brand. Large paychecks for pro's but no diversity. Gonna be weirddddd.

lmao you guys are too much

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 900
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #459 on: May 18, 2016, 09:10:47 AM »
Call me next time your employer reduces your pay twice, you put in 2 weeks, then get asked to stick around for a bit longer to train your replacement.

Sticking around through the lean times is one thing if you are an owner, quite another as an employee.

MJ was paid reasonably well I'm sure, but when you have to slash people's pay, don't be surprised if they lose loyalty.

Asking him to stick around a bit longer and a bit longer and a bit longer. When does it end? Oh, just after Away Days... Just after Summer... Just until we can clear enough shoes out...

And we all know Lakai has been PUMPING those MJ's for a few months marketing-wise, and it felt like they were trying to clear them out to anyone who was paying attention.

If MJ is leaving (and according to Mike, they knew) then you can't expect to orchestrate his exit to your whims, and use your supposed friendship to lord over him and prevent him from being announced when Adidas just spent a ton of money producing this video and bringing these guys onto the team.

Marc was probably sick of jumping through the hoops, dealing with lawyers and agreements in the first place, and basically showed them right where to stick it in the most Marc Johnson way possible.

People are quick to hop on Carroll's nuts, but isn't sticking skate shops with a bunch of outdated MJ shoes nobody will want just as bad?

Call me the next time you plan to quit from an employer that is your friend but still plan on being employed by another entity under your friend's business. Or don't, I don't really care.

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #460 on: May 18, 2016, 09:11:54 AM »
MJ of wagon

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3361
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #461 on: May 18, 2016, 09:17:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Adidas probably spent more on music rights for this video than most brands do on their team/staffing.
[close]

I think it was the complete opposite. � sounded like most were taken from the music licensing discount bin. � 

hopefully quartersnacks does another Busenitz re-edit. � the skating deserved better. � 
[close]

Bowie and Nany Sinatra are both pretty expensive. I'd imagine Pet Shop Boys are too, which is why you haven't heard them in as many things as you'd expect. I don't remember much of the rest of the soundtrack but I know for sure Sinatra and Bowie aren't cheap.

Is that pronounced "nay-nay"?

Slappydarkslide

« Reply #462 on: May 18, 2016, 09:21:57 AM »
Do you think he has to be careful in his response now that he's under Adidas?  God damnit Marc, fucking reply already. .

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #463 on: May 18, 2016, 09:22:31 AM »
wow, he called him a pathological liar. still cant tell if this is some kind of elaborate joke or not, never heard or seen mike carroll go off on someone like this ever.

marc johnson back to enjoi? does hsu stay or go?

its definitely a little different if half your shoe line is based on one dudes name, cant not side with carroll on this.  total bitch move on mj when he knows what its gonna do to everyone at lakai.

daewon definitely deserves a pass because he stuck with DVS even when it was a huge detriment to his career. DVS sucks and its getting suckier, let the man live.

personally, i think its a good thing that crailtap doesnt have as much power as it used to because it lets everyone else have a chance to be  "skate cool". i think it shows a deficiency in thinking if being on a certain company is what makes someone tolerable or not and not their body of work.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 09:24:32 AM by The Ghost of Lenny Kirk »

shit_for_brains

« Reply #464 on: May 18, 2016, 09:23:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Adidas probably spent more on music rights for this video than most brands do on their team/staffing.
[close]

I think it was the complete opposite. � sounded like most were taken from the music licensing discount bin. � 

hopefully quartersnacks does another Busenitz re-edit. � the skating deserved better. � 
[close]

Bowie and Nany Sinatra are both pretty expensive. I'd imagine Pet Shop Boys are too, which is why you haven't heard them in as many things as you'd expect. I don't remember much of the rest of the soundtrack but I know for sure Sinatra and Bowie aren't cheap.
[close]

It's actually pronounced "Nay-Nee" which is stupid but it's not my name so what do I know

4LOM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 162
« Reply #465 on: May 18, 2016, 09:29:11 AM »

You don't have to be an idiot to skateboard, but it sure helps

Slappydarkslide

« Reply #466 on: May 18, 2016, 09:33:36 AM »
Weekend Buzz with Mike Carroll and Marc Johnson

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #467 on: May 18, 2016, 09:37:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 498
« Reply #468 on: May 18, 2016, 09:38:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
Ahahah man so funny. I really hope Carroll sees this.
[close]
So, who is going to post it on IG and tag Marc? Shit is too funny!
Also, I'm interested to see where he ends up board sponsorwis. Kookston and Guy's new project (if it ever happens)?
[close]
[close]

this has to be on every page, at least once

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #469 on: May 18, 2016, 09:47:55 AM »
Two things:

(1) Is Brink really backing MJ on this? It's fine to support him skating for Big Company Footwear (MJs words). I dont think many people are complaining about that. In fact, Mike Carroll himself supported him moving on.  The real problem is that he fucked over Mike Carroll and Lakai, who supported him through his problems and basically gave him his cool card in skating. I dont think people realize how important getting on Chocolate (and Lakai) was to legitimating Marc. If he had say ridden for a dwindle company and Etnies, he would have not gotten the same acclaim. Carroll's story seems pretty clear, and the fact that he has never once aired out a team rider who quit (pops, olson, puig, koston, prod, jereme, guy, mikemo, biebel, cairo etc.) tells you that this was some backstabbing.  Carroll's credibility in skateboarding is more than just his talent, MJs aint.

(2) My god. The reading comprehension here. People keep saying 'man, I get MJs side, I mean he needs the extra cash.' Did you read the interview? Carroll supported the decision. He asked that, after they just gave him a shoe and supported his insanity for 15 years, that he hold off four a few months so they could move his shoe and help keep Lakai in a good spot. If Marc wanted to quit, he shouldnt have supported rolling out a new shoe. And Carroll was open to less than that; all he wanted was for MJ to be straight up - tell the fucking truth. Dude lied to him and had his departure announced at a video premier. If people cant understand the business side of losing your number 1 pro who has a bunch of product in waiting maybe some business skills are needed. But if you cant understand the lies, well, thats on you.

Finally, and this is pure speculation. But Marc Johnson is a delusional, egotistical, narcissist. The kind that rants and raves about Big Shoe Company only to ride from them. The type that misquotes a lot of literature and science and spouts inane theories to sound bright. When Carroll called him a pathological liar and said (via insta) they wouldnt have to deal with his disappearing anymore; it's my guess that theyve been putting up with his shady shit for years. Good on Carroll for saying fuck you. If you're gonna burn a bridge dont expect people to be quiet. Skateboarding needs more open talk

This was perfect. ^^^

Stuart Gomez should be ashamed of himself. What an awful fucking article. I'm not trying to confuse written skateboard media as anything but shameless PR for it's articles subjects/advertisers but this embarrassing.

The understanding is that people will come to their own conclusions, with the simplest explanation being overwhelmingly popular (the ubiquitous "money talks" popping up on the message boards) and so rudimentary that it highlights how truly ignorant the commentators are.

Don't pick and choose what people are pissed about and report that as the overall consensus. Fuck off.

Marc Johnson hit home for a lot of people with his comments in the 2013 Jenkem article. Personally I don't hate Nike, I hate how they have fucked some skateshops. Skateshops are the heartbeat of a legit scene. If shops do it right, they can grow and foster skateboarding better than any stupid pro or skate brand. Pros are the rock band, the Brand is the tour shirt company. They inspire us to take up skating and they show what is possible. That's it. The shops hook the good kids up. They local good kids inspire the new comers in person. Shops run the local contests and events. They give discounts on gear to needy kids. They allow kids to meet and hang and share skateboarding in their business. When Nike, Adidas, and whoever else starts to fuck with these institutions, I take exception on Skateboarding's behalf.

Marc also took this exception and he definitely got points from me. But big whoop right? Doesn't change my life. It's nice to have a touch of validation from someone that can make a difference. His statement of 'I would not skate for big company footwear' was cute but had an almost ominous, prophetic feel to it. He wants to change his mind, cool. NOT EVERY IS MAD THAT HE CHANGED HIS MIND. I don't care about the shoes one wears so much as the companies treatment of skateshops.

Do any of us know what really goes on between Crail and it's riders? Certainly not. Did Marc take paycuts then watch as the ownership sold the company off? Yes. Did he get bitter as they protected some of their earned equity? Maybe. Maybe, the Crail owners sold out to save a sinking ship. They took the risk by starting their own deal. They should reap the rewards of that.

It's really hard to get on to Girl/Chocolate. For starters, most up and comers would beg to get on. They have the pick of the litter. Secondly, once you are on Girl/Chocolate you are on for at least a decade or longer. Maybe that's why so many kids are get tangled into their 'flow limbo'. From the outside looking in, it seems as though once Rick and Mike think it's a go, they are down for the serious long haul. What other company would put up with Daniel Castillo's output? Gino and Guy are legends but they went years and years and years without doing shit. They move wood but they would move a whole lot more if they actually worked. I'd love to get Rick Howard drunk and listen to him talk about the irresponsible bullshit that he had to deal with. And it seems as though they dealt with a ton of Marc's as well.

Gino was going to bolt before the Chocolate 20th anniversary marketing campaign. They asked him to wait for that to be over and he did. I'm sure they wanted him to stay but when he did leave, no one MFed him out the door because they came to an agreement. Carroll wanted the same for Marc's departure and Marc blew it. Now MJ and Big Company Footwear shills like Stuart Gomez are trying to spin into a narrative where Marc is an under-utilized visionary and is a victim of unfair industry practices.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #470 on: May 18, 2016, 09:48:13 AM »
What is this shit about being a dick when you quit a job being normal? No it fucking isn't. I've quit jobs before, and I make sure to do it right. Any ADULT actually respects their employer for employing them, and understands that if you quit wrong, that reputation may follow you. That's why people give two weeks and its rare to hear about people flipping out when they leave a job. No, you don't act like an asshole when you quit, in fact, I'd argue that is the time you are the NICEST to your soon-to-be-former boss. That's what I have always done, and they've always written me recommendations on the way out.

And BRINK- Seriously? Is fucking adidas paying you or something? "Sometimes companies go out of business because they didn't work hard enough." Yeah, and sometimes a ton of businesses go bankrupt at once as a result of a shift in the market. I've read your writing and seen your interviews, so I KNOW you aren't stupid enough to think that suddenly all of these legendary companies gave up, got lazy, or whatever excuse you want to give.
The fact is, huge companies invaded, bought out big riders with their huge capital, used their name recognition to take any new customers, and used economies of scale to their advantage in expanding. The smaller companies, you know, the ones who actually made skate shit back when we skated in the 90's and companies like Nike didn't think we were worth the investment, they have trouble competing with all of those things.
Again, I think you understand that. I think even if the details aren't there, that you know that its not just companies getting lame and that something bigger is happening. I think you get some kickbacks from adidas, because I refuse to believe you are naive enough not to understand market trends vs. a company getting lazy.
MJ can get his money, we don't have to approve.
The whole fucking industry is bought out. Don't trust any paid opinons on NIke/Adidas/Cons
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Casey Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -53
« Reply #471 on: May 18, 2016, 09:51:51 AM »

What would you do if your son was at home, crying all alone on the bedroom floor cuz he's hungryyy. and the only way to feed him is to skate for a corporation for a little bit of money

wattscain

« Reply #472 on: May 18, 2016, 09:52:02 AM »
What is this shit about being a dick when you quit a job being normal? No it fucking isn't. I've quit jobs before, and I make sure to do it right. Any ADULT actually respects their employer for employing them, and understands that if you quit wrong, that reputation may follow you. That's why people give two weeks and its rare to hear about people flipping out when they leave a job. No, you don't act like an asshole when you quit, in fact, I'd argue that is the time you are the NICEST to your soon-to-be-former boss. That's what I have always done, and they've always written me recommendations on the way out.

And BRINK- Seriously? Is fucking adidas paying you or something? "Sometimes companies go out of business because they didn't work hard enough." Yeah, and sometimes a ton of businesses go bankrupt at once as a result of a shift in the market. I've read your writing and seen your interviews, so I KNOW you aren't stupid enough to think that suddenly all of these legendary companies gave up, got lazy, or whatever excuse you want to give.
The fact is, huge companies invaded, bought out big riders with their huge capital, used their name recognition to take any new customers, and used economies of scale to their advantage in expanding. The smaller companies, you know, the ones who actually made skate shit back when we skated in the 90's and companies like Nike didn't think we were worth the investment, they have trouble competing with all of those things.
Again, I think you understand that. I think even if the details aren't there, that you know that its not just companies getting lame and that something bigger is happening. I think you get some kickbacks from adidas, because I refuse to believe you are naive enough not to understand market trends vs. a company getting lazy.
The whole fucking industry is bought out. Don't trust any paid opinons on NIke/Adidas/Cons

Nike and Adidas had skate shoes in the 90's
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 09:53:50 AM by Lizzie Borden »

labor

• Rep: -39
« Reply #473 on: May 18, 2016, 09:52:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
threads weird to me

so no one else reading this can relate to having your pay cut several times while having much larger offers at the tail end of your career and leaving for the bigger offer? clearly mj's offer was contingent on timing with the away days video and either way carrol was going to be pissed so not much to gain on that front. i've never in my life not lied to my current employer\client when getting ready to jump to a new employer\client. that's just not how it works, lying is part of career\negotiating. you find your next gig, hand in your two weeks and bounce. carrol also said that mj held out for ages, turning down larger offers. it feels to me like like mj kept it business but carrol is making it personal. not giving riders contracts is something crail does for their self interest, not the riders.
[close]

I said this earlier. They're just gonna tell you that your reading comprehension sucks, that MJ's an alcoholic, and that Carroll is a really nice guy.
[close]

"Financially, as everyone knows, in recent years, it has been rough. We had to do some things financially and rearrange and lower some people�s pay, him being included"�
"Then recently, we had to make more financial decisions and he was going to be affected again."

So we are going to go back to reading comprehension 101. First, Carroll did say they have contracts for Lakai, not for boards. So that is a misreading. And Second, Carroll encouraged him to leave because he recognized that they could not pay a skater of Marc's caliber as much as they used to. Carroll acknowledges the pay cuts, thats why he was cool with him leaving. �Carroll's problem was not that MJ left (he encouraged him to look at other offers because of the pay cuts!), its that MJ went ghost when they were trying to terminate the deal while ensuring that crail could unload goods appropriately, Marc did was no respond and when he did respond, he lied. Straight to his face.

The reason this matter is that they released his shoe and have a lot of his product being built on orders that cannot be undone just because Skater Dude A does not want to ride for the brand anymore, or because he wants to be in Away Days. When someone has helped you for 15 years, you dont just fuck them on a big order when you are the top pro. By way of example, when Gino left (as he mentions in his interview), Rickk asked him to hold off on announcing because the 20 year thing was going on and probably because of some boards. And you know what Gino did, he held off. Because he probably respect Mike and Rickk and knows that no other company would have baby sat his mood swings, substance issues and other shit. He did not fuck them and did not lie. �The same cannot be said for MJ.

MJ is gonna regret how he fucked over Lakai and Mike Carroll at the end of the day. No one blames (or at least I dont) for going to Adidas. But this is a bad look. We've never seen Carroll tell someone publicly to fuck off and get off the company. The interview was probably a little whimsical, but Megan Bmore commented on his insta backing it. You can be sure Rickk is cool with it too. Those people have a lot or respect in skateboarding and have given careers and livelihoods to a lot of people, MJ included. Notice that Guy, Koston, BA, Olson etc didnt get this treatment? MJ did something extra special.

He's gonna regret fucking over probably the most respected skateboarder/business person in the game. I would.

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 900
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #474 on: May 18, 2016, 09:55:28 AM »

Nah dude this is always a fun way to go out

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #475 on: May 18, 2016, 09:58:35 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

fuck you, you clearly weren't there. Nike made skate shoes for about 3 minutes in the late 90's after THPS and the x-games. They didn't put much effort in and didn't last. Their original foray into skate shoes was after the late 90's boom started. Sit down, shut up, stop acting like you know about shit you didn't experience when people who actually were around are present.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #476 on: May 18, 2016, 09:58:55 AM »

Unless he was talking about Exp/Joey Pepper.

Man, righteous indignation really gets your little gipper hard

wattscain

« Reply #477 on: May 18, 2016, 10:10:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
fuck you, you clearly weren't there. Nike made skate shoes for about 3 minutes in the late 90's after THPS and the x-games. They didn't put much effort in and didn't last. Their original foray into skate shoes was after the late 90's boom started. Sit down, shut up, stop acting like you know about shit you didn't experience when people who actually were around are present.

I hate to get into name calling or establishing street cred but I've been skating since 87 so don't make assumptions based on a scant amount of information. I didn't say Nike's foray into skate shoes was a successful venture. I was addressing your previous statement about Nike not wanting to invest in skate shoes during your precious "90's." They clearly invested and it didn't work. Tried again with Savier and that didn't work and then Dunks. The rest is history.

So are you just going to just move the goal post with your argument. You talked about the 90's and I gave you a 90's example. But now you mean the early 90's not the late 90's. Make a clearer point and there won't be any needs for "fuck you's" and "I lived it" bragging
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 10:32:22 AM by Lizzie Borden »

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #478 on: May 18, 2016, 10:12:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Besides Busenitz's second song, Bowie, and Nestor ripping to "Your Silent Face", by New Order, the soundtrack to the video was rather terrible.

BMCsteve

« Reply #479 on: May 18, 2016, 10:17:29 AM »
I wonder what Brink's opinion would be if Yankee Candle comes in and pushes his business out of the marketplace using their power over candle retailers and surplus of cash