Author Topic: Post UPCOMING/RECENT shoe releases thread  (Read 8714977 times)

TreyPhillip, dunc, Gray Imp Sausage Metal and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Crap

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 77
Re: Post UPCOMING/RECENT shoe releases thread
« Reply #43230 on: September 29, 2021, 05:28:22 AM »
Glad that you can admit that you looked for the worst colorways you could find and that you're also a fan of skater owned brands. We've had a lot of cupsoles drop recently and have even more coming out. Even though you're already aware of the pour-in G6 midsole maybe you would be into the Gamma G6 as that shoe has a little bit more of a "sportier" look to it than the rest of our other models. It's funny to hear you say Emerica is some motorcycle brand and that our identity is shitty beer and stoner rock. The team is more diverse than you realize as I'm sure you're basing the entire identity off of a couple team riders versus us being a brand that is 100% neutral as you're wanting. From Spanky to Winkowski to Julian to Jpow, we have an entire team that aren't stoner rockin', motor cyclin' and beer drinking guys (75% of the team is sober by the way). Just a group of guys that fucking love to skate and are great at it.

Would you say that the Emerica team is diverse in terms of race, gender, or sexuality?

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #43231 on: September 29, 2021, 06:09:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Glad that you can admit that you looked for the worst colorways you could find and that you're also a fan of skater owned brands. We've had a lot of cupsoles drop recently and have even more coming out. Even though you're already aware of the pour-in G6 midsole maybe you would be into the Gamma G6 as that shoe has a little bit more of a "sportier" look to it than the rest of our other models. It's funny to hear you say Emerica is some motorcycle brand and that our identity is shitty beer and stoner rock. The team is more diverse than you realize as I'm sure you're basing the entire identity off of a couple team riders versus us being a brand that is 100% neutral as you're wanting. From Spanky to Winkowski to Julian to Jpow, we have an entire team that aren't stoner rockin', motor cyclin' and beer drinking guys (75% of the team is sober by the way). Just a group of guys that fucking love to skate and are great at it.
[close]

Would you say that the Emerica team is diverse in terms of race, gender, or sexuality?
He already addressed this question a few months ago on here.  Response was something like they just look for people "that can hang in the van" which was a bit tone deaf and he walked it back a bit.  But either way it's something I think they're actively working on.  You can search thru his posts in his profile for the exact response.

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #43232 on: September 29, 2021, 07:26:35 AM »

SlapTM

• Rep: 242
« Reply #43233 on: September 29, 2021, 09:14:25 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah I would actually. We've got several ethnicities as well as multiple international riders on our Global team, we hook up female skaters and have reached out to female and LQBTQ skaters myself numerous times. It's a small team and brand but always trying to branch out and diversify as much as we can even if it takes longer than wanting it to due to changes can't always happen overnight. I hope we can all agree that

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
He already addressed this question a few months ago on here.  Response was something like they just look for people "that can hang in the van" which was a bit tone deaf and he walked it back a bit.  But either way it's something I think they're actively working on.  You can search thru his posts in his profile for the exact response.
You've got it mixed up a little bit as I have gone a bit more in depth into what that consists of but I get what you're saying. Not looking for people that JUST can hang in the van. It's something that has to be organic and as well as checks numerous boxes. As mentioned above, our team is small. Every rider is very close with one another. The team has to be down with a new rider, the rider has to fit the brand, etc. I think we're in a lot better place than we were a year or two ago and hoping to have an even more diverse team over the next year.

Now let's get back on track with this thread. As always, if anyone has any questions or wants to shoot the shit, my DMs on here and IG are always open and will glad reply.

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43234 on: September 29, 2021, 11:03:31 AM »
Now let's get back on track with this thread. As always, if anyone has any questions or wants to shoot the shit, my DMs on here and IG are always open and will glad reply.
Yes! Let's see Spring 2022 lineup!  ;D

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 104
« Reply #43235 on: September 29, 2021, 12:04:49 PM »
Yes! Let's see Spring 2022 lineup!  ;D

Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

lydius

• Rep: 43
« Reply #43236 on: September 29, 2021, 01:32:17 PM »
i'm looking forward to those faded navy/white Gammas and the blacked out G6 midsole ones. Quentin also looks to be on the same sole as the Laced?

Which other shoes share the same/similar sole as the Gamma? the Dose?

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #43237 on: September 29, 2021, 07:47:21 PM »
i'm looking forward to those faded navy/white Gammas and the blacked out G6 midsole ones. Quentin also looks to be on the same sole as the Laced?

Which other shoes share the same/similar sole as the Gamma? the Dose?
For the non-G6 sole on the Gamma, the Alcove CC and the Dose are others that share that sole.
Super Champion Fun Zone

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
« Reply #43238 on: September 29, 2021, 08:02:28 PM »
A Gilbert High on his IG stories worth posting on here for those more savvy

LebowskisRug

« Reply #43239 on: September 29, 2021, 08:23:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Funny that in trying to show how "diverse" the team is dude actually demonstrated that it is anything but. The videos are going for some nostalgia feel down to the green tint, but come off as kinda meh and played out. There are good riders obviously, but they're all hesh white dudes that dress the same. One skates a shaped board and does older pool tricks and there is now one POC. Even if they're sober that's the archetype they played extensively and still sticks.

As for the shoes I wanted to like my Winos and will try the cups, but they fell apart so much faster than a basic Vans slip on and were the same price that I can't recommend them to anyone. Most of the rest of the lineup is iterations on a few of the same basic vulcs.

switch209

• Rep: -14
« Reply #43240 on: September 29, 2021, 09:06:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Funny that in trying to show how "diverse" the team is dude actually demonstrated that it is anything but. The videos are going for some nostalgia feel down to the green tint, but come off as kinda meh and played out. There are good riders obviously, but they're all hesh white dudes that dress the same. One skates a shaped board and does older pool tricks and there is now one POC. Even if they're sober that's the archetype they played extensively and still sticks.

As for the shoes I wanted to like my Winos and will try the cups, but they fell apart so much faster than a basic Vans slip on and were the same price that I can't recommend them to anyone. Most of the rest of the lineup is iterations on a few of the same basic vulcs.

Ill add in to this because I know this is a sensitive topic for some, and the times we live in are that of saying anything "controversial" means youre canceled without a second thought, but think of this:

This is the idea of participation vs representation, and youre arguing for simply filling spots in the van based on the criteria compared to talent, as well the ability to mesh well with the team. Also consider the idea of "equal opportunity, not equal outcome", and thats where the idea EmericaTM has talked about comes in and what I already mentioned: fitting in with the team and getting along, and having the talent needed to represent the brand to the best of their ability. Also these companies are looking for people who are wanting on for the long haul, not trying to get someone in the van for a year, and next year need to fill their spot because a possible larger check was offered, they want people that represent what their brand stands for. And that isnt a characteristic that is unique to any one race, religion, or sexual orientation. You could have all the talent in the world, be the best "enter race/religion/sexual orientation" skater in the world, but if your personality is intolerable with the team and its managers, odds are you arent getting on.

I have no doubt the guys at Emerica, or any other company out there, are getting skaters who all look different on the outside coming around to get on the team or to even just get noticed, but that alone isnt enough to "fit in the van". Want proof? look at the "influencer" bracket in BATB12, how many different backgrounds are being represented? and how many of them have the talent (just based on the games they played) to represent companies and be sponsored aside from considering their followings on social media?

If you go back in time and look at their team line up over the decades Emerica has been around, they have had several guys, all unique characters in many different ways, all riding for them and some getting their own pro model shoes.

To ignore that a company has a particular type of image that they represent strongest is ridiculous (ZERO was huge handrail/gap/stair skaters; ALMOST was super tech manual/flip in flip out; PLAN B was "elite" at least in the central valley it was considered that...im certain you can think of others for yourselves), and Emerica has become more "hesh" over the years, and thats awesome, but that doesnt limit the people interested in that type of skating to being "white". Not everyone grows up to skate the same types of obstacles, yes nowadays we all have greater access to watching countless different types of skating, but the ability to find ideal spots can be difficult, and a lot resort to what is around them, and if they're happy with that, again thats awesome.

Your argument for who is on Emerica atm is like hating Magenta or Sour for not having a ton of Americans on their teams. Some people dont want to move to LA to be closer to sponsors, some people are ok with being in flow purgatory, some have career ending injuries we never know about, but with all that said, saying Emerica isnt "diverse" enough, or any company isnt, is stupid. We all have access to getting ourselves out into the world for companies to see us, some have more will, some unfortunately get their journeys ended early, and every other reasoning in between.

Thank you to everyone for hopefully understanding my point. All I ask from EmericaTM is keep the good cupsoles in the lineup as long as possible so my feet hurt less as I continue to age. 
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 09:15:01 PM by switch209 »

SlapTM

• Rep: 242
« Reply #43241 on: September 30, 2021, 12:10:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I get what you're trying to say but I just don't think you fully get it. For example, of course we're using the green tint. It's been a major part of the brand identity and DNA and having a video come out with no green tint just wouldn't feel the same. It would feel like every other video being released. A lot of people immediately feel something when they see green as they know it's an Emerica video without even having to really think about it. Secondly, yeah we like to go off of nostalgia here and there because it's something we can celebrate. Not many brands have the ability to showcase decades of great videos, riders that have been part of the brand for 20 years, friends growing up and being on the same team together, etc. To say "they're all hesh white dudes that dress the same" is just not that accurate. Of course, I get the point that you're trying to make but I mean almost a quarter of the team is hispanic. I'll admit that Emerica is a little bit more "hesh" than other footwear brands but that's our thing. We try to represent pure skateboarding as best as possible. We can have "hesh" guys like Figgy that can skate a big rail and can also get equally as tech. Do you complain about a brand like DGK not having enough transition or hand rail skaters or non-fresh skaters? I doubt it because that's their image and has been. With that being said in my previous post I pointed out how people tend to look at a couple riders and write off the entire brand to be that way when I listed 4 riders that aren't hesh in the slightest whether it's skating completely different obstacles, dressing a certain way or even just how they represent themselves. You're referring to some drinking image that sticks based off knowing that a rider or two tends to party which I do understand but I can't think of the last time we portrayed any sort of huge partying image whether it was an ad or video. Just because a rider drinks in their personal life doesn't mean it automatically portrays the brand to be the same way. Are you a fan of a brand such as Baker that has been showcasing their riders partying for the last 20 years or do you think it's played out? For what it's worth, hope people will start to see we are doing more and more to stray away from the Socal stoner rock image by getting more diverse riders, new footwear models and even showcasing the brand in different territories. For example, we added some new ams this year, just did an East Coast tour this last week, etc. We got a lot of cool stuff in the works over the next year.

I'm sorry to hear that you weren't super stoked on your Winos. I haven't skated the Vans slip on in years but from what I hear a lot, people tends to likes ours better but of course that's all opinion and I'm sure a good amount of skaters say the opposite. Hopefully you can try to slip cups and enjoy them more. Regarding the footwear, there is a good amount of cupsoles that aren't too vulcish at all such as The Gamma (should definitely try the G6 ones dropping this month if those are your style), Spanky G6, Figgy Dose, and we have more cupsoles in the works.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Ill add in to this because I know this is a sensitive topic for some, and the times we live in are that of saying anything "controversial" means youre canceled without a second thought, but think of this:

This is the idea of participation vs representation, and youre arguing for simply filling spots in the van based on the criteria compared to talent, as well the ability to mesh well with the team. Also consider the idea of "equal opportunity, not equal outcome", and thats where the idea EmericaTM has talked about comes in and what I already mentioned: fitting in with the team and getting along, and having the talent needed to represent the brand to the best of their ability. Also these companies are looking for people who are wanting on for the long haul, not trying to get someone in the van for a year, and next year need to fill their spot because a possible larger check was offered, they want people that represent what their brand stands for. And that isnt a characteristic that is unique to any one race, religion, or sexual orientation. You could have all the talent in the world, be the best "enter race/religion/sexual orientation" skater in the world, but if your personality is intolerable with the team and its managers, odds are you arent getting on.

I have no doubt the guys at Emerica, or any other company out there, are getting skaters who all look different on the outside coming around to get on the team or to even just get noticed, but that alone isnt enough to "fit in the van". Want proof? look at the "influencer" bracket in BATB12, how many different backgrounds are being represented? and how many of them have the talent (just based on the games they played) to represent companies and be sponsored aside from considering their followings on social media?

If you go back in time and look at their team line up over the decades Emerica has been around, they have had several guys, all unique characters in many different ways, all riding for them and some getting their own pro model shoes.

To ignore that a company has a particular type of image that they represent strongest is ridiculous (ZERO was huge handrail/gap/stair skaters; ALMOST was super tech manual/flip in flip out; PLAN B was "elite" at least in the central valley it was considered that...im certain you can think of others for yourselves), and Emerica has become more "hesh" over the years, and thats awesome, but that doesnt limit the people interested in that type of skating to being "white". Not everyone grows up to skate the same types of obstacles, yes nowadays we all have greater access to watching countless different types of skating, but the ability to find ideal spots can be difficult, and a lot resort to what is around them, and if they're happy with that, again thats awesome.

Your argument for who is on Emerica atm is like hating Magenta or Sour for not having a ton of Americans on their teams. Some people dont want to move to LA to be closer to sponsors, some people are ok with being in flow purgatory, some have career ending injuries we never know about, but with all that said, saying Emerica isnt "diverse" enough, or any company isnt, is stupid. We all have access to getting ourselves out into the world for companies to see us, some have more will, some unfortunately get their journeys ended early, and every other reasoning in between.

Thank you to everyone for hopefully understanding my point. All I ask from EmericaTM is keep the good cupsoles in the lineup as long as possible so my feet hurt less as I continue to age. 
Switch, you nailed it pretty hard on the head here. You're right, talent is a huge factor but loving the brand is a big one as well. If you look at the team we've got right now, they all love Emerica so much and it shows. I've seen kids just want to be sponsored for a paycheck which I completely understand and respect but if you're only chasing a check, it just isn't the same as someone who is on the team because they want to be regardless of the check or not. Similar to what I've mentioned in the post above is that in the last 3 years we've had 3 riders hit 18-20 years on the team and a few others are 10+. That's fucking incredible. I really can't think of a ton of brands footwear or hardwoods that can say that and it's something that we are all extremely proud of.

Don't worry we got some more cupsoles in the works including quite a few that are new pro models.

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #43242 on: September 30, 2021, 01:33:16 AM »
Vans x Magenta

Looks like a corduroy Chukka Boot and Era. 

Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #43243 on: September 30, 2021, 05:44:53 AM »
I love me some magenta but not really sure how well corduroy skates as a shoe material…

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43244 on: September 30, 2021, 06:21:17 AM »
Those are suede with a corduroy texture.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43245 on: September 30, 2021, 06:41:07 AM »
the more you know…
(and now I defs wouldn’t rock them)

LebowskisRug

« Reply #43246 on: September 30, 2021, 07:26:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
I get what you're trying to say but I just don't think you fully get it. For example, of course we're using the green tint. It's been a major part of the brand identity and DNA and having a video come out with no green tint just wouldn't feel the same. It would feel like every other video being released. A lot of people immediately feel something when they see green as they know it's an Emerica video without even having to really think about it. Secondly, yeah we like to go off of nostalgia here and there because it's something we can celebrate. Not many brands have the ability to showcase decades of great videos, riders that have been part of the brand for 20 years, friends growing up and being on the same team together, etc. To say "they're all hesh white dudes that dress the same" is just not that accurate. Of course, I get the point that you're trying to make but I mean almost a quarter of the team is hispanic. I'll admit that Emerica is a little bit more "hesh" than other footwear brands but that's our thing. We try to represent pure skateboarding as best as possible. We can have "hesh" guys like Figgy that can skate a big rail and can also get equally as tech. Do you complain about a brand like DGK not having enough transition or hand rail skaters or non-fresh skaters? I doubt it because that's their image and has been. With that being said in my previous post I pointed out how people tend to look at a couple riders and write off the entire brand to be that way when I listed 4 riders that aren't hesh in the slightest whether it's skating completely different obstacles, dressing a certain way or even just how they represent themselves. You're referring to some drinking image that sticks based off knowing that a rider or two tends to party which I do understand but I can't think of the last time we portrayed any sort of huge partying image whether it was an ad or video. Just because a rider drinks in their personal life doesn't mean it automatically portrays the brand to be the same way. Are you a fan of a brand such as Baker that has been showcasing their riders partying for the last 20 years or do you think it's played out? For what it's worth, hope people will start to see we are doing more and more to stray away from the Socal stoner rock image by getting more diverse riders, new footwear models and even showcasing the brand in different territories. For example, we added some new ams this year, just did an East Coast tour this last week, etc. We got a lot of cool stuff in the works over the next year.

I'm sorry to hear that you weren't super stoked on your Winos. I haven't skated the Vans slip on in years but from what I hear a lot, people tends to likes ours better but of course that's all opinion and I'm sure a good amount of skaters say the opposite. Hopefully you can try to slip cups and enjoy them more. Regarding the footwear, there is a good amount of cupsoles that aren't too vulcish at all such as The Gamma (should definitely try the G6 ones dropping this month if those are your style), Spanky G6, Figgy Dose, and we have more cupsoles in the works.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Switch, you nailed it pretty hard on the head here. You're right, talent is a huge factor but loving the brand is a big one as well. If you look at the team we've got right now, they all love Emerica so much and it shows. I've seen kids just want to be sponsored for a paycheck which I completely understand and respect but if you're only chasing a check, it just isn't the same as someone who is on the team because they want to be regardless of the check or not. Similar to what I've mentioned in the post above is that in the last 3 years we've had 3 riders hit 18-20 years on the team and a few others are 10+. That's fucking incredible. I really can't think of a ton of brands footwear or hardwoods that can say that and it's something that we are all extremely proud of.

Don't worry we got some more cupsoles in the works including quite a few that are new pro models.

Sorry for the long quote but both of you have some really good points that have made me re-think my opinion and tone.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1307
« Reply #43247 on: September 30, 2021, 11:08:38 AM »
Agree or disagree, I can see how much EmericaTM cares about the future of this brand and I'm stoked the program is being directed by someone this passionate. I've grown away from relating to emerica as I got older but I'm looking forward to the future of the brand.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #43248 on: September 30, 2021, 11:56:09 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
the more you know…

It’ll be interesting to see how the suede-Roy wears out
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Sharp-o

• Rep: -6
  • WAH! Haippia spotille!
« Reply #43249 on: September 30, 2021, 11:09:13 PM »
October 9th

Both are sick as hell but i don't really like that all the new lynx releases are collabs. The stock is just too low for anybody but collectors to get them.

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43250 on: October 01, 2021, 12:57:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
the more you know…
[close]

well shit, looks like i was wrong!  these super close-up photos from Slam City show it is indeed regular textile corduroy. 

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43251 on: October 01, 2021, 06:11:17 PM »
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.

Shuh

• Rep: 4
« Reply #43252 on: October 01, 2021, 11:55:06 PM »
We might get the Return of Silas 1, Suciu was wearing them in BTS catalogue over at spitfires website

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43253 on: October 02, 2021, 12:03:14 AM »
We might get the Return of Silas 1, Suciu was wearing them in BTS catalogue over at spitfires website
!!!!!!!!!

Shuh

• Rep: 4
« Reply #43254 on: October 02, 2021, 12:14:06 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
!!!!!!!!!

Exactly how i felt

MyUserName

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #43255 on: October 02, 2021, 08:30:18 AM »
I wonder if he had an old pair laying around or if they’re actually reissuing them. Either way, still sick to see a photo of them being worn in 2021. I still have my original grey ones, never skated in but heavily walked in (were specifically my chill shoes). They hurt like fucking hell to walk in now but I can’t bring myself to throw them away.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 08:37:09 AM by MyUserName »

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
« Reply #43256 on: October 02, 2021, 09:10:06 AM »
DMed Silas: he hasn’t heard they’re being re-released

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #43257 on: October 02, 2021, 10:56:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
the more you know…
[close]

[close]
well shit, looks like i was wrong!  these super close-up photos from Slam City show it is indeed regular textile corduroy. 

Are you my ex because you’re playing with my emotions pal
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43258 on: October 02, 2021, 03:28:08 PM »
I actually have a pair in 9.5 BNIB that I’m looking to sell (I wear a 10.5)

Probably for the best that they don’t rerelease them, I think my expectations would be too high…

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal