Author Topic: the Bunt is back  (Read 322874 times)

rukes and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

jgonzalez

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
Re: the Bunt is back
« Reply #2910 on: May 02, 2024, 03:04:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Gordy not being of Sinclair's taste further backs up my feeling that Toy was worse off having him as talent scout.
[close]

Yepp. A true travesty that when its all said and done...sky brown has a board on toy machine, and Jordan taylor does not...his brain wash part is the most toy machine true to its core thing in the last 15 years outside of reissuing old graphics and putting a guy like Myles on

what happened with Kevin barnett and toy?
Pretty sure Kevin didn’t wanna be a skate filmer anymore or at least deal with all the crap that goes along with filming skaters and probably wanted steadier work. Would be cool to hear an interview with Kevin. Good years with Toy

https://ktbfilm.com/contact

nothing's been the since same

cornman

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 19
« Reply #2911 on: May 02, 2024, 04:40:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Gordy not being of Sinclair's taste further backs up my feeling that Toy was worse off having him as talent scout.
[close]

Yepp. A true travesty that when its all said and done...sky brown has a board on toy machine, and Jordan taylor does not...his brain wash part is the most toy machine true to its core thing in the last 15 years outside of reissuing old graphics and putting a guy like Myles on

[close]
Pretty sure Kevin didn’t wanna be a skate filmer anymore or at least deal with all the crap that goes along with filming skaters and probably wanted steadier work. Would be cool to hear an interview with Kevin. Good years with Toy

I like how Toy Machine / Tim Yeto isn’t important enough to list in his bio.

Blind Fisherman

• Rep: 71
« Reply #2912 on: May 02, 2024, 04:45:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
I like how Toy Machine / Tim Yeto isn’t important enough to list in his bio.
Literally the first line of the bio references his time working with Toy Machine and the accolades he received in that time.

cornman

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 19
« Reply #2913 on: May 02, 2024, 05:09:04 PM »
God damnit - skipped to the list of commercial projects at the bottom and didn’t think to actually read to the bio..

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1307
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2914 on: May 02, 2024, 06:07:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Even though the Sinclair era isn't to my taste, I think the blame (if you want to call it that) is on Templeton. He was never strong in his vision for the team. Jamie had to take control in the WTH era, everyone dissipated after Jump, Austin Stephens and Barnett were the backbone of the rebuild starting with Good and Evil. His art speaks for it self and is a huge part of the aesthetics but seems like Ed never really gave a shit about team dynamics and building a cohesive group. 

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #2915 on: May 02, 2024, 06:51:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Even though the Sinclair era isn't to my taste, I think the blame (if you want to call it that) is on Templeton. He was never strong in his vision for the team. Jamie had to take control in the WTH era, everyone dissipated after Jump, Austin Stephens and Barnett were the backbone of the rebuild starting with Good and Evil. His art speaks for it self and is a huge part of the aesthetics but seems like Ed never really gave a shit about team dynamics and building a cohesive group.
Yeah, Jamie's rail chomper vision really became the teams aesthetic over time. Although, they were always more diverse than Zero generally.

French manicure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #2916 on: May 02, 2024, 07:10:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I agree with this. Austin, Harmony, JLay, etc (and a bunch of the flow guys like Rob Strasser) were all super tight even before they were officially on Toy too.  They really did seem to all click together and have that team unity vibe.  Nowadays it seems like just a collection of riders. Also, it seemed like Ed started prioritizing his photography later into his career (which I understand given his brutal leg break he had)..

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2917 on: May 02, 2024, 07:35:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

I agree with this. Austin, Harmony, JLay, etc (and a bunch of the flow guys like Rob Strasser) were all super tight even before they were officially on Toy too.  They really did seem to all click together and have that team unity vibe.  Nowadays it seems like just a collection of riders. Also, it seemed like Ed started prioritizing his photography later into his career (which I understand given his brutal leg break he had)..

Didn't he break his neck too?

Knew it was Tosh after the first clue because I watched that episode of shark tank when it came out

Spoiler warning please!
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

French manicure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #2918 on: May 02, 2024, 08:02:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Didn't he break his neck too?

Expand Quote
Knew it was Tosh after the first clue because I watched that episode of shark tank when it came out
[close]

Spoiler warning please!

Yes, at a Euro comp back in the day
 https://www.skateboarding.com/news/ed-templeton-lives

nollieboulala

• Rep: 6
  • fuckin wheel fell off
« Reply #2919 on: May 02, 2024, 08:52:56 PM »
Love Jordan's skating, creativity and sense of humor throughout all the videos over the years. Sad to hear he's hurt like that. Sending all the positive vibes.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 137
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #2920 on: May 03, 2024, 08:31:52 AM »
A shame Jordan's hurt, incredibly rad skater.

This is his most recent full part I believe? (Starting around 10:40) So good and an amazing Ween song to go with it. I hope loosey does well.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 836
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #2921 on: May 03, 2024, 09:03:48 AM »
The Taylor interview just wasn’t long enough… he’s one of my favorites and a spot hunter inspiration. I also love how diverse the Loosey team is. Bmxers, snowboarders, rollerbladers, scooters etc… so sick

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #2922 on: May 03, 2024, 10:27:57 AM »
A shame Jordan's hurt, incredibly rad skater.

This is his most recent full part I believe? (Starting around 10:40) So good and an amazing Ween song to go with it. I hope loosey does well.

that part is SO SICK! I loved the bigspin bank tricks. now that's some good quality skateboarding.

Shortys Hardware

• Rep: 113
« Reply #2923 on: May 04, 2024, 06:13:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Easy to say Ed never gave a shit about team dymanics, but you can tell he clearly cared in his new book the wires crossed, i just think he was pretty clearly hurt by everybody quitting...also must've sucked, that you're trying to rebuild and you have your first pick ( caswell ) quit after going pro, nate brossard didn't pan out either..Good & evil was the video I grew up on, and to their credit they kept all those guys together for the next decade while adding new guys i think the first person to leave/get let go from good & evil was johnny layton almost 10 years after..

the sinclair era has been an abomination though imo. between brain wash and programming injection (10 years), according to skatevideosite, they put one tour video the subhumans 14 mins, and the jeremy leabres video 9 mins, and thats it. that is a whole generation of kids who didn't grew up on a toy machine video. feel like they are playing catch up in the last 5 years

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #2924 on: May 05, 2024, 04:46:19 AM »
Tough to hear he’s off new balance and so hurt that he’s basically hanging it up. He had a clip in the wknd collab shoe vid that dropped in December so this must be recent. Loved Jordan’s skating and spot selection. Think there was a missed opportunity for a Tim and Henry type video or web series with him and Tom K.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Bread Harrity

• Rep: 253
« Reply #2925 on: May 06, 2024, 11:42:14 AM »
Tough to hear he’s off new balance and so hurt that he’s basically hanging it up. He had a clip in the wknd collab shoe vid that dropped in December so this must be recent. Loved Jordan’s skating and spot selection. Think there was a missed opportunity for a Tim and Henry type video or web series with him and Tom K.

we luckily did get something like that, but agreed it could've been a much bigger/longer project considering how many spots are still to be discovered.

really hope he can get his knee back in shape just for his own sake, even if he doesn't want to pursue pro skating anymore It'd be a bummer to not see atleast a clip or two sprinkled into future wknd projects

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #2926 on: May 06, 2024, 06:49:03 PM »
Sad to hear that Jordan's knee is giving him such grief and that things sound like they're winding down for him on the skating front.

It's crazy to hear how much Toy dropped the ball with him. In my mind he is the perfect throwback to their Jump Off A Building era. WKND ended up being an even better fit however so glad things worked out as they did.

This is one of my most watched parts of recent years. Highly recommend a re-visit:

Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2927 on: May 07, 2024, 12:31:30 PM »

PalaceButtPlug

• Rep: -353
« Reply #2928 on: May 07, 2024, 01:54:43 PM »
I feel imposter syndrome on behalf of this dude. He openly admits to sucking at skating and finding spots that cater to that. Like he knows he's filler for timecode to build suspense for the skater's part that viewers actually want to watch.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #2929 on: May 07, 2024, 07:40:38 PM »

Got it at Planet Earth (or at least I would have burned a guess there on who it ended up being). Trapasso and Gino being former teammates helped. Enough of the other stuff I had no idea about. Actually love playing a long with this

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 213
« Reply #2930 on: May 07, 2024, 07:52:24 PM »
I thought Planet Earth and converse were pretty solid giveaways.
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

pile

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 184
  • sweet, man.
« Reply #2931 on: May 07, 2024, 08:44:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Easy to say Ed never gave a shit about team dymanics, but you can tell he clearly cared in his new book the wires crossed, i just think he was pretty clearly hurt by everybody quitting...also must've sucked, that you're trying to rebuild and you have your first pick ( caswell ) quit after going pro, nate brossard didn't pan out either..Good & evil was the video I grew up on, and to their credit they kept all those guys together for the next decade while adding new guys i think the first person to leave/get let go from good & evil was johnny layton almost 10 years after..

the sinclair era has been an abomination though imo. between brain wash and programming injection (10 years), according to skatevideosite, they put one tour video the subhumans 14 mins, and the jeremy leabres video 9 mins, and thats it. that is a whole generation of kids who didn't grew up on a toy machine video. feel like they are playing catch up in the last 5 years

Sinclair is the worst thing to ever happen to toy machine. I feel like toy would be better off by just becoming essentially a legacy brand and re-issuing old boards and apparel. I second that Jordan Taylor was the last person on the team that embodied the brands spirit that they initially built up in the 90s.

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
« Reply #2932 on: May 07, 2024, 10:06:47 PM »
i didn’t get the kenny one in time but i got last week’s first try when they mentioned his wife was on shark tank.

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2933 on: May 07, 2024, 10:34:13 PM »
I thought Planet Earth and converse were pretty solid giveaways.

Gino and Trapasso have had a relatively few sponsors across their careers, should have narrowed it down a lot.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
« Reply #2934 on: May 07, 2024, 11:56:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Sinclair is the worst thing to ever happen to toy machine. I feel like toy would be better off by just becoming essentially a legacy brand and re-issuing old boards and apparel. I second that Jordan Taylor was the last person on the team that embodied the brands spirit that they initially built up in the 90s.
agreed. the thing is that even after the departure of the entire team, ed really did work on rebranding and put a lot of effort into it whether it was more on austin & kevin at that time or not. you could tell that the graphics were still done by ed and it wasn’t being overdone by the editing in between. i think ryan lee has done great work and i believe he edited the new video same as he did the last, so i’m not commenting on that. i will say, when i was young i grew up skating in a very toy machine influenced city (corona) which is hometown to a lot of then top riders (austin stephens, billy marks, matt b, rob straser (flow) and even ed was actually originally from there before moving to hb very young. leabres is also from there but wasn’t sponsored yet. jlay from very close by somewhere near temecula. every single street sign within a 2 mile proximity of our home parks had toy machine stickers on them, there was a local homie who had a car literally head to toe toy machine devil logo. my point with this other than just that obviously the times have changed, is that back then toy machine had a real comradery that felt unbreakable if you were in that bubble even just as a pre teen shithead like myself. that doesn’t do big numbers today despite what we all want skateboarding to be again, wknd isn’t selling boards as much as these other brands are that find talent from all over the world and try to forcefully put together a “team” of dudes that don’t know each other or who simply don’t go well together in an full length video. so i think a lot of brands sell out just in hopes of still hanging on. baker went full supreme in their new video because that’s what’s current and that’s what kids are going to watch unfortunately, even if it had been a video with full parts from all of the people we want to see, an antwuan surprise part, just the absolute best sequel you could imagine to the first bhd,  it wouldn’t register with the kids today (who are the ones buying more product) than it would to the people who have stuck with the brand from day one.

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

mindfuzz

• Rep: 37
« Reply #2935 on: May 08, 2024, 05:43:15 AM »
i think ryan lee has done great work and i believe he edited the new video same as he did the last

Don Luong

Gleefull508

• Rep: 22
« Reply #2936 on: May 08, 2024, 06:43:10 AM »
Am I dumb or did Prahman not do rapid fire?

Patrick2G

• Rep: -306
« Reply #2937 on: May 08, 2024, 08:24:15 AM »
Am I dumb or did Prahman not do rapid fire?

You are mistaken

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #2938 on: May 08, 2024, 08:38:02 AM »
I feel imposter syndrome on behalf of this dude. He openly admits to sucking at skating and finding spots that cater to that. Like he knows he's filler for timecode to build suspense for the skater's part that viewers actually want to watch.

Nah, knowing you're place and what you bring to the table is valuable. He knew/knows his role and executes well.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2939 on: May 08, 2024, 08:43:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Nah, knowing you're place and what you bring to the table is valuable. He knew/knows his role and executes well.

He should always have a board with WKND, even if he settles into the skits guy.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m